Egan and Ahmedhodzic

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tony_Kaufman

Here's a truck stop instead of St Peter's
Reaction score
What is the solution to these two, as they don't seem to be able to play together at this level? There's no communication between them and it's causing costly errors. They were awful yesterday until Egan went off injured, where suddenly the back three started to look more composed and Ahmedhodzic improved. Arguably, perhaps the same might have been said of Egan is Anel had gone off injured, or does this point to Egan being the problem?

A combination of a poor understanding, lack of communication and ball watching saw them at fault for the goals against Palace, Forest and now against Everton yesterday.

I've rewatched yesterday's goals and I can't figure out just what they were thinking, particularly on the equaliser.

Screenshot_20230903_124006_YouTube.jpg

As the cross is about to come in both have players to mark. Egan has already abandoned his man and decided to attack the cross, even though Jack can do that. This leaves Anel in a 2 on 1. Egan doesn't even consider the situation he's created.

Screenshot_20230903_124025_YouTube.jpg

As the cross comes in Egan has committed to this, but bizarrely Anel also decides to attack the ball. He abandons both Everton players and runs forward towards the ball, leaving both of them to peel off to attack the back post. He has no intention of staying with either of them.

Screenshot_20230903_124033_YouTube.jpg

The ball sails over them both to two unmarked Everton players giving Wes no chance. Worse yet, if Wes does save it the other is there for the rebound, as is another Everton player heading towards the penalty spot unmarked, while two red and white shirts are nowhere near and not marking anyone. Before the cross comes in two are marking him. As the cross comes in, both abandon him. There's even a fourth player behind him who no one picks up from start to finish. It's a calamity of errors from all over the place.

Lack of communication all round?

It's amateur and I've seen better defending at kids football. Both are at fault and it's the same error that they made for both Forest goals. Both players intent on attacking the ball and leaving players unmarked as a result. It's all well and good blaming players for not preventing the cross, but if you can't do basic man marking then you will get punished every single time at this level.

Are they coached to play like this? If they are then the coach needs sacking.

My worry is who do you drop and who do you replace them with? It's all well and good saying play Trusty, but clearly he's pencilled in the left side slot. So that leaves us with only Basham to replace either of them.

Or is it time to abandon the three at the back so Anel and Egan don't play together anymore, which also gives us an extra body in midfield and removes the option of starting Basham in games (no offence to him). It's all well and good saying the international break will help, but it won't as both will be away with their respective countries.

Last edited:

Egan has lots of great qualities but isn't a talker and doesn't read the game. That's why JOC was so good for him....he never holds his position, he's drawn to the ball. Anel benefitted from being in the centre with Bash talking alongside him.

I'm not necessarily suggesting dropping Egan, and I've loved him down the years- but he needs the right partner(s) and when he hasn't, his lack of nous and pace is badly exposed.

What is the solution to these two, as they don't seem to be able to play together at this level? There's no communication between them and it's causing costly errors. They were awful yesterday until Egan went off injured, where suddenly the back three started to look more composed and Ahmedhodzic improved. Arguably, perhaps the same might have been said of Egan is Anel had gone off injured, or does this point to Egan being the problem?

A combination of a poor understanding, lack of communication and ball watching saw them at fault for the goals against Palace, Forest and now against Everton yesterday.

I've rewatched yesterday's goals and I can't figure out just what they were thinking, particularly on the equaliser.

View attachment 170231

As the cross is about to come in both have players to mark. Egan has already abandoned his man and decided to attack the cross, even though Jack can do that. This leaves Anel in a 2 on 1. Egan doesn't even consider the situation he's created.

View attachment 170232

As the cross comes in Egan has committed to this, but bizarrely Anel also decides to attack the ball. He abandons both Everton players and runs forward towards the ball, leaving both of them to peel off to attack the back post. He has no intention of staying with either of them.

View attachment 170233

The ball sails over them both to two unmarked Everton players giving Wes no chance. Worse yet, if Wes does save it the other is there for the rebound, as is another Everton player heading towards the penalty spot unmarked, while two red and white shirts are nowhere near and not marking anyone. Before the cross comes in two are marking him. As the cross comes in, both abandon him. There's even a fourth player behind him who no one picks up from start to finish. It's a calamity of errors from all over the place.

It's amateur and I've seen better defending at kids football. Both are at fault and it's the same error that they made for both Forest goals. Both players intent on attacking the ball and leaving players unmarked as a result. It's all well and good blaming players for not preventing the cross, but if you can't do basic man marking then you will get punished every single time at this level.

My worry is who do you drop and who do you replace them with? It's all well and good saying play Trusty, but clearly he's pencilled in the left side slot. So that leaves us with only Basham to replace either of them.

Or is it time to abandon the three at the back so Anel and Egan don't play together anymore, which also gives us an extra body in midfield and removes the option of starting Basham in games (no offence to him). It's all well and good saying the international break will help, but it won't as both will be away with their respective countries.
Not saying they weren’t culpable too but can anyone tell me what the hell George was up to on that equaliser?

Never ever seen Egan open his mouth to communicate with fellow defenders.

It's a simple concept to give a shout as to who is to attack the ball or get goal side of who you're marking.

We've been shambolic at times defensively, gifting goals to Palace,Forest and Everton with either two (or none) going for the same header and dont get me started on closing down to prevent the crosses coming in, this just drives me nuts.

JLT couldn't get back on the second goal. He misses his tackle and was done for pace. A strong interception and the attack stops there. Egan seeing this happen correctly moves to try and block the cross but he just doesn't get there in time. It was a very good cross and Anel and Baldock are also done for pace. In Baldocks case thats worrying as he's the one in the defence with speed.

The fault unfortunately starts and finishes with Larouchi. He gets turned just inside the half and seems to hesitate for a second to track Patterson. Patterson goes past him and he fails to get back to him when Patterson receives the ball again. Basic defending for a wing back as he would have been in a position to stop the cross from coming in. Until that moment I thought Larouchi had been ok but when you switch off for a second in the EPL you get punished.

Egan has lots of great qualities but isn't a talker and doesn't read the game. That's why JOC was so good for him....he never holds his position, he's drawn to the ball. Anel benefitted from being in the centre with Bash talking alongside him.

I'm not necessarily suggesting dropping Egan, and I've loved him down the years- but he needs the right partner(s) and when he hasn't, his lack of nous and pace is badly exposed.
Doesn’t read the game? Badly exposed?

How have we had such a good defence if the main component is so poor at the main requirements?

He’s had some rough moments this season and the team as a whole looks vulnerable. But there’s a hell of a lot of revisionist history going on about Egan

View attachment 170231

View attachment 170232

View attachment 170233

Drop Egan he's not good enough been dogger in every game so far

Lad, neither have hit the heights yet. We all know both can perform A LOT better than they've currently shown. But, we are 4 games into playing at a higher level, give them some time. In fact, both were excellent v City...

evertons 2nd goal was a fantastic ball in to the box i doubt most teams would have prevented it what i do find noticeable is that anel looks so much more comfortable in the centre of the 3 every time he stands in there i agree with another poster why not try egan either rcb or lcb

Stop the cross's coming in to the box in the first place, that's the rwb/lwb's job, l think george is getting off lightly here, 1st goal against city and both goals yesterday he was culpable.
Playing Anel in the middle of the back 3 won't allow him to make his forward runs that are a big part of our system.
I'm sure they'll work on the defencive shape and that has to include basic defending

Certainly agree that Anel looks the most assured of our options in the central position of the back 3. However, looking at the back 3 as a unit, I fear we would do more harm than good by shuffling positions. We’ve seen that this back 3 can perform very well indeed, albeit at a lower level. They are, however, surprisingly flaky this season. I think it’s a combination of a few things.
1. Both Egan and Anel are struggling for individual form. They will sort this out.
2. The whole defence is destabilised by systemic weakness down our left hand side, and this is exacerbated by the fact that opposing teams are actively exploiting this and pulling us out of shape. I would fix this by installing Thomas at LWB ( admittedly on nothing more than yesterday’s evidence). I would put Trusty in for Robinson, assuming that he is fully in shape physically after the international break.
3. Our midfield has been weak, but is getting stronger. McAtee will further strengthen the Left hand side, and Vini and Gus are still getting properly fit.
I would personally try to address those things first before dropping or moving Egan.

It's difficult, this season feels like we may witness the biggest gap in quality between leagues so far. The pace and ability to break in behind and produce quality crosses mean we are often out of position and making split second decisions. As soon as the opposition get an opportunity the quality into the box is consistently brilliant.

View attachment 170231

View attachment 170232

View attachment 170233

I'm not enjoying watching Egan this season.Dont see the leadership qualities required and have said previously that George is better suited.
Perhaps Anel has similar issues.
Clearly I'm speculating but we noticably improved.
Egan looks calamatous at times.

Baldock seems to get a pass on this forum because he is angry and committed, but I was very frustrated with his performance yesterday. A lot of shouting and pointing but not much defending or attacking quality. We have targeted Larouci as our scapegoat and kind of ignoring George’s shortcomings.

View attachment 170231

View attachment 170232

View attachment 170233

I think you’ve mixed up the players in your assessment of their equaliser yesterday. Unless I’ve read it wrong you seem to be saying the two in the box marking the Everton players are Egan and Anel, whereas it’s actually Baldock and Anel.

Egan is trying to get across to block the shot. Robinson certainly can’t do it because he’s behind play, as the cross comes in he’s stood next to Norwood (and it’s Robinson getting dragged in, missing the tackle and then being out of position which is the real cause of the goal). Anel gets himself into the position you’d want him to be, giving himself the best opportunity to cut the cross out. Unfortunately Baldock decides not to bother tracking his man at the back post, leaving him a free tap in. That decision was exacerbated by the fact that it’s a very good cross that is often difficult to deal with, even if you’ve got everyone marked.

One of our most dependable players in recent history. Week in week out he performs. Tiny blip and we want change. JLT our best defender so far this season and everyone puts trusty in the predicted starting 11. The worlds gone fucking nuts man

It’s such a shame about Jack O’Connell. We miss him so much.
Of course, although I very much doubt he'd still be here if he had stayed fully fit, he'd have been close to the England squad and sold for big money after our previous relegation, if not before.

Some good football managers on here.
I doubt it. Just fans - like me - exchanging views on footballing matters on a football forum. Luckily for all of us, there’s only one football manager going to make decisions on the Blades, and I’m pretty certain he won’t be looking here for advice.

their second goal was a team collapse not just egan and Anel. I saw 6 challenges from them moving it forward where 50 50 challenges were all lost , they got 2 lucky bounces but we had 6 opportunitie to intervene

View attachment 170231

View attachment 170232

View attachment 170233

Go back to the start of your scenario,where's Larouci? 10 yards behind where he should be & then despite making up ground...he doesn't make ANY attempt to prevent the cross coming in, no awareness & his decision making is schoolboy standard,looks OK going forward but hasn't got a clue defensively, Luke Thomas comes straight in for me,no question

I think you’ve mixed up the players in your assessment of their equaliser yesterday. Unless I’ve read it wrong you seem to be saying the two in the box marking the Everton players are Egan and Anel, whereas it’s actually Baldock and Anel.

Egan is trying to get across to block the shot. Robinson certainly can’t do it because he’s behind play, as the cross comes in he’s stood next to Norwood (and it’s Robinson getting dragged in, missing the tackle and then being out of position which is the real cause of the goal). Anel gets himself into the position you’d want him to be, giving himself the best opportunity to cut the cross out. Unfortunately Baldock decides not to bother tracking his man at the back post, leaving him a free tap in. That decision was exacerbated by the fact that it’s a very good cross that is often difficult to deal with, even if you’ve got everyone marked.
My apologies, you are right. I could have sworn it was Ahmedhodzic and Egan. My mistake. Either way, diabolical defending and an avoidable goal. We've had too many players attacking the ball and abandoning the player they were supposed to be marking.

Back
Top Bottom