Dwight Gayle

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What you said was, "If the club once again tries to survive with £3 - £5 million pound bargain buys". So, yes, you clearly said that we had previously spent these figures.

I don't recall doubting your sums, just that a more realistic approach is what we'll employ.

John Egan?

John Egan?

Seems that the originally quoted figure of £4 mil for Egan was actually less according to wilder in an end of season interview, which came as a surprise. same applies to Norwood, as it was also revealed that the original figure of £2 mil was again less than this, and all from Wilder's lips.

Seems that the originally quoted figure of £4 mil for Egan was actually less according to wilder in an end of season interview, which came as a surprise. same applies to Norwood, as it was also revealed that the original figure of £2 mil was again less than this, and all from Wilder's lips.

What figure did Wilder quote?

Now you're asking!!! Can't recall the interview, but Egan's fee was less than the originally quoted £4 mil, and as for Norwood, I think that it was close to £1.2 or thereabouts.

See Scooter's post #34
I think the 2m and 4m figures are the 'all in fees', i'e addons if promoted etc.

So we probably have paid 4m for Egan now.

Impressive reading about his form this season:

34 starts
24 goals
No penalties
7 headers
Started 12 games on the wing (according to transfermarkt)
7 goals from the games playing on the wing

To add to that, he also has the best minutes per goal ratio in the division.

Gayle - 122 minutes
Abraham - 129 minutes (5 penalties)
Sharp - 131 minutes
Pukki - 132 minutes

What you said was, "If the club once again tries to survive with £3 - £5 million pound bargain buys". So, yes, you clearly said that we had previously spent these figures.

I don't recall doubting your sums, just that a more realistic approach is what we'll employ.

We tried to survive last time with Claude Davis £3 million, Luton Shelton £1.7 million allegedly, Hulse £1 million allegedly. Mikele Leigertwood £750,000 allegedly, Ady Akinbiyi £1.75 million bought in the previous January
Relative terms = £3 - £5 million pound players in todays money.

We need better

He'll be 30 next season.

The 'not good enough' for Premier League comes from the fact he hasn't played there for ages and even Newcastle (despite banging them in for them in promotion season) got rid of him. So they don't think he'd good enough either.

They'll want about 15m

No.

EDIT: And palace got rid of him, despite being desperate for a striker for years.

Never had a full run of games due to injuries and been more of a bench player he the exact sort of player we should be after wont cost a lot either compared to others

I think we can do better than Gayle, he's an option but I'd rather others such as Maupay, McBurnie but I admit they'll be more expensive than Gayle. Saying that, Gayle's got two seasons to go on his current deal, I can see him going for £10m, he won't be cheap either.
Gayle is much much better IMO

Impressive reading about his form this season:

34 starts
24 goals
No penalties
7 headers
Started 12 games on the wing (according to transfermarkt)
7 goals from the games playing on the wing

I'm not sure it's completely fair to say he played on the wing in all those games but he has been shoved out on occasions to accommodate Jay Rodriguez. But his versatility is obviously a plus.

Only just noticed your avatar, unless it’s new.

Bold.

There's no denying his ability at this level. There's no denying his ability at the top level either, he's shit. Give him tons of space to play in he'll score a few, stick him against a Premier League defence and he's hopeless.

This thread is wank ..

Daniel James ..yen right ...think we will nick him from under Man Tues noses .....get in the real world ..

One of those is a massive I fancy ..I'd take Maupay all day long over Mcburnie...fear we can't afford either sadly

Gayle is much much better IMO

I think Gayle could be a good option to be fair, but he wouldn't be my top target up there. It would depend on how much we can afford per player and as a whole as to whether Gayle is a good option I think. He has done well this season for sure and he's played in the Premier Lague of course. I'd still much rather McBurnie or Maupay, but as I said before, they'll probably each cost more than Gayle will.

To play devils advocate here. In our last Premier League season, we paid £2.5m for Luton Shelton

Gayle’s problem is that he’s better in a front two and has played in an era when many teams play a lone striker in a 433 or 4231. If we’re going to play two up front then he’d be a plausible signing.

What everyone seems to be ignoring here is the cost of getting Gayle and whether he fits the type of player Wilder will be in for.

WBA will want a fee. Gayle will also be on a pretty tidy salary as things stand. I dread to think how much, but north of 40k a week is my guess!

Wilder will pay fees for players he expects to make money on. So Maupay for example is a good age and looks to have the lot, and is likely to just get better and better. If we can afford the fee from brentford (which I doubt BTW) then he fits the bill.
Gayle not so much. He’s reached his peek, and could arguably be going down. His value isn’t going to be going up at his age, its like Billy, had an amazing season and if he was 10 years younger and had the season he has just had, there would be £10m price tags on his head. As it is, someone like sunderland if they go up could chuck a million at us for him and that may be enough for us to take it!

Apart from that, I haven’t even looked at his fitness and injury record. He’s just not a player I see us going for or that would work out for us

What everyone seems to be ignoring here is the cost of getting Gayle and whether he fits the type of player Wilder will be in for.

WBA will want a fee. Gayle will also be on a pretty tidy salary as things stand. I dread to think how much, but north of 40k a week is my guess!

Wilder will pay fees for players he expects to make money on. So Maupay for example is a good age and looks to have the lot, and is likely to just get better and better. If we can afford the fee from brentford (which I doubt BTW) then he fits the bill.
Gayle not so much. He’s reached his peek, and could arguably be going down. His value isn’t going to be going up at his age, its like Billy, had an amazing season and if he was 10 years younger and had the season he has just had, there would be £10m price tags on his head. As it is, someone like sunderland if they go up could chuck a million at us for him and that may be enough for us to take it!

Apart from that, I haven’t even looked at his fitness and injury record. He’s just not a player I see us going for or that would work out for us

Wilder was willing to pay about £5m for Waghorn, who was the same age as Gayle.

And £5m for us in the Championship was more significant than whatever it would take to get Gayle with PL income.

If we got him for about £8m he could feasibly gain value if he had a decent season.

As a player I like Gayle and would pitch him at lower Prem/top Champ level.

I doubt he'd be cheap to recruit (fee/salary) but he does Prem experience which is extremely lacking across the rest of the squad (and in a lot of the other suggested strikers!) and he would certainly be an upgrade on the current group.

Do I think he'll be CW's top choice? No - probably not, but I would guess he features somewhere on the list

Not for me thanks. His record in the top flight is nothing special.

64 games and 15 goals for Palace over 3 seasons.

35 games and 6 goals for Newcastle in 1 season.

He's another Darren Huckerby/Neil Warnock. Too good for the Championship, not good enough for the Premiership.

If he was 24/25 then you could argue that he's still got time to mature and improve, but he's 29.

Add to this his poor attitude when it comes to sportsmanship and it's a big no thanks for me. For the money it would cost to buy him he wouldn't be worth it.

This thread is wank ..

Daniel James ..yen right ...think we will nick him from under Man Tues noses .....get in the real world ..

One of those is a massive I fancy ..I'd take Maupay all day long over Mcburnie...fear we can't afford either sadly
I see you post stuff like this regularly. Who do you think we can get then?

I see you post stuff like this regularly. Who do you think we can get then?

Look up the players Huddersfield signed, and you would see that weren’t very well known. Expect ours to be on a similar vein to theirs were at the time.

Not signing for WBA been confirmed

Would have McBurnie and Gayle on loan every day of the week :cool::cool::cool:

This thread is wank ..

We can afford them.

We just won't pay it.

Back
Top Bottom