Dominic Calvert-Lewin

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Anyone who is lucky enough to earn a living as a professional athlete, must, in order to perform at the very highest level, make sacrifices in their personal life and accept restrictions of diet and lifestyle that people of a similar age, employed in other professions do not.

The trade off being, that success in their field will potentially set them up financially for the rest of their life. Consequently, they can retire in their 30’s and do whatever they want, with whoever they want, as often as they want. Anyone who would jeopardise that future lifestyle, by allowing outside distractions to detract from their professional performance is a moron.

Lads who work in regular jobs can do what they want, but their trade off is, they’ll be working until their 60’s, for less financial reward. To suggest the two lives are comparable, because of similar age is utterly ridiculous.
These guys aren't out drinking all the time, they're just not currently THE best players in world football. They are still better than most of the planet at football.

Most footballers will have hobbies and interests. They can't just play football and nothing else!

"Don't have a love life or wear clothes - you're a professional footballer!"😂

Him not being the only one doing it doesn't make it any more or less virtuous.

As for if I'd do it in his position: I can guarantee that if I did do it, I'd have the decency to keep quiet regarding the government's spending.

My point is that while "rasing awareness" or "being a voice for change" is all well and good, if people like Marcus Rashford want to make a difference; stopping participating in tax avoidance (synonym: evasion) would be a start.

Same sentiment applies to corporations and other wealthy individuals too, not just MR.
The accountants find the loopholes. They don't do it side by side with their clients, who have their own jobs and probably zero interest in what they're paying accountants to do.

The loopholes could be closed by government. But that's political choice on their part.

The accountants find the loopholes. They don't do it side by side with their clients, who have their own jobs and probably zero interest in what they're paying accountants to do.

The loopholes could be closed by government. But that's political choice on their part.

I'm not excusing the government. I'm not even saying what Rashford is doing is wrong.

I'm saying, in my opinion, it's hypocrital to avoid taxes, then complain about a perceived lack of government spending.

He certainly won't be the only footballer, or person in power finding a workaround on their tax returns.
I work in an office full of people openly banging on about IR35 laws meaning they have to go on the books and they're gutted by it.
I'm sure all of the same fellas were out on their doorsteps applauding the NHS a couple of years ago when things took a turn.
Ask yourself, if you were a young lad earning millions and could afford a clever accountant and financial advisor - would you trust their advice? If they told you they had a legal way of ensuring you keep 10-15% more of your income, would you do it?

People hammer Lewis Hamilton over his alleged 'tax dodging,' but I'm yet to hear anybody say anything similar about Lando Norris. A young, white lad from a much wealthier background...
And yes (I'm on a tangent), but I do think race is relevant.

I take your point, but he's generating good PR for himself by doing good deeds. Whether or not they're totally selfless is beside the point.
He could be pumping all of his time and money into going out drinking with his mates, shagging as many women as possible and posting photos of himself cladded out in Gucci.
Instead he's campaigning for free school meals for kids of a similar background to his own and going out into his community and meeting and liaising with the public about their problems.
He's making a tangible difference whether a few of your mates think he's a bit of a nobhead or not...

People slag off Lando Norris often enough. He has also moved to Monaco. He got shit for it as well as his super fans never thought he would move. Good to see that despite all his bullshit he is no different to any other F1 driver.

I'm not excusing the government. I'm not even saying what Rashford is doing is wrong.

I'm saying, in my opinion, it's hypocrital to avoid taxes, then complain about a perceived lack of government spending.
My b in law used to hide his money in off shore accounts etc. and then moan about the NHS and how long it took for him to get an appointment. I pointed out that if he paid taxes we may have a better service, he said the fact he was cleverer than most gave him the opportunity to avoid taxes. I Put him straight on the error of his ways and oh how I laughed when he was declared bankrupt. :——-Tosser

These guys aren't out drinking all the time, they're just not currently THE best players in world football. They are still better than most of the planet at football.

Most footballers will have hobbies and interests. They can't just play football and nothing else!

"Don't have a love life or wear clothes - you're a professional footballer!"😂
Really and you think thats enough? I’m better than most of the planet at Football !

The point your missing is, that if you’re fortunate enough to be a professional footballer, from day one of your career, you should aspire to be THE best player in world football.

Consequently you should live your life in a manner that correlates with achieving that ambition. What I said was, anyone who allows off field activities to detract from their professional performance is a moron.

Many years ago, I watched an interview with a manager of a League one or two club and he was talking about the players. In a nutshell what he said was ‘It really baffles me, as soon as trainings finished they rush into the showers, get changed and off they go to play snooker or golf or shopping with the Mrs. They all want bragging rights to be the best golfer or snooker player at the club. It doesn’t seem to occur to them, that they maybe should be staying out on the training ground, doing an extra hour or more in the hope of becoming the best footballer at the club’

I suspect you’d be one of them players brownblade 😂

Think one or two have taken it the wrong way to what I quoted ,rashford is a superb individual ,the point was distracting yourself from your main profession doesn't always work .and we all know ,football and the comments they get is all about form .

I think DCL should have put aside his photo shoots for abit and maybe concentrate on trying to get fit and help his club escape the drop.

No one is saying you can't have interests outside football..... Just maybe try and put other stuff on the back burner for abit maybe?

I think DCL should have put aside his photo shoots for abit and maybe concentrate on trying to get fit and help his club escape the drop.

No one is saying you can't have interests outside football..... Just maybe try and put other stuff on the back burner for abit maybe?
He has free time 😂

Really and you think thats enough? I’m better than most of the planet at Football !

The point your missing is, that if you’re fortunate enough to be a professional footballer, from day one of your career, you should aspire to be THE best player in world football.

Consequently you should live your life in a manner that correlates with achieving that ambition. What I said was, anyone who allows off field activities to detract from their professional performance is a moron.

Many years ago, I watched an interview with a manager of a League one or two club and he was talking about the players. In a nutshell what he said was ‘It really baffles me, as soon as trainings finished they rush into the showers, get changed and off they go to play snooker or golf or shopping with the Mrs. They all want bragging rights to be the best golfer or snooker player at the club. It doesn’t seem to occur to them, that they maybe should be staying out on the training ground, doing an extra hour or more in the hope of becoming the best footballer at the club’

I would be because i don't have the drive.

But you've effectively been saying these guys have to avoid anything that isn't football.

Does an accountant only focus on accountancy, or a builder... Etc?

Also why does everyone HAVE to want to be the best ever?

You're expectations are highly unrealistic.

Many people put happiness over being the best in their field of employment, me included.

Some are driven in a completely different way and want to be the best, and fair fucks to em.

What you are describing there is a one-way ticket to earth-shattering depression. It's why you hear about lots of ex-players hitting the bottle after they retire or finding it near-impossible to adjust. You live your whole life striving for a certain goal but what do you do when you can't do that anymore? It's far better to learn to enjoy the journey rather than achieving satisfaction once you've achieved your goal because once you get there, what's next?

I would be because i don't have the drive.

But you've effectively been saying these guys have to avoid anything that isn't football.

Does an accountant only focus on accountancy, or a builder... Etc?

Also why does everyone HAVE to want to be the best ever?

You're expectations are highly unrealistic.

I’m not saying that at all, in my opinion whether you’re a footballer or a postman you should aspire to do that job to the very best of your ability.

You can do whatever you wish in your spare time, but if you’re in the fortuitous position of being a highly paid professional athlete and you jeopardise that career and all it brings with it, because you cannot accept sacrifices and restrictions on your lifestyle, in order to perform at your peak, then you are a twat of the highest order!

For reference see Lys Mousett

I’m not saying that at all, in my opinion whether you’re a footballer or a postman you should aspire to do that job to the very best of your ability.

You can do whatever you wish in your spare time, but if you’re in the fortuitous position of being a highly paid professional athlete and you jeopardise that career and all it brings with it, because you cannot accept sacrifices and restrictions on your lifestyle, in order to perform at your peak, then you are a twat of the highest order!

For reference see Lys Mousett
Life's not that simple though.

I know what you mean, obviously. But I really think your take is just too black and white mate.

Why should they aspire to be the best in the world?

Why should they make sacrifices that the rest of us wouldn’t?

I’m decent at my job, I don’t aspire to be the best in the world at at - at the same time nobody is calling me out for being on a forum or having a drink or playing loads of golf.

Just because someone happens to be an excellent footballer, doesn’t mean they have to give up everything to try and be the best - we just demand it because we are fans, that doesn’t mean we get to determine their social lives etc.

Life's not that simple though.

I know what you mean, obviously. But I really think your take is just too black and white mate.
Success or failure is just that though, black and white, is it not?

Anyway, we obviously have a different mindset and that’s fair enough. UTB

Why should they aspire to be the best in the world?

Why should they make sacrifices that the rest of us wouldn’t?

I’m decent at my job, I don’t aspire to be the best in the world at at - at the same time nobody is calling me out for being on a forum or having a drink or playing loads of golf.

Just because someone happens to be an excellent footballer, doesn’t mean they have to give up everything to try and be the best - we just demand it because we are fans, that doesn’t mean we get to determine their social lives etc.
Most 20-25 year olds would snatch your hand off to swap their current career to be a professional footballer with a six figure annual salary.

But you're honestly suggesting that once they found out that for ten years or so, they’d be expected to follow a strict diet and would not be able to go out til 5a.m on a Friday night with their mates and have 12 pints and a kebab, do a few lines, relax with a joint, or couldn’t ride a motorbike, or go skiing, not take any prescription drug without the club Drs approval, or behave in a way that would bring the club into disrepute, then they’d say fuck that, thanks very much pal but I’m going to stay at Tesco. 🙄

Not a chance 🤣

Most 20-25 year olds would snatch your hand off to swap their current career to be a professional footballer with a six figure annual salary.

But you're honestly suggesting that once they found out that for ten years or so, they’d be expected to follow a strict diet and would not be able to go out til 5a.m on a Friday night with their mates and have 12 pints and a kebab, do a few lines, relax with a joint, or couldn’t ride a motorbike, or go skiing, not take any prescription drug without the club Drs approval, or behave in a way that would bring the club into disrepute, then they’d say fuck that, thanks very much pal but I’m going to stay at Tesco. 🙄

Not a chance 🤣
Who said anything about Tesco?

Of course nobody would choose to stay at Tesco over being a professional footballer, that’s not at all what anyone is saying.

I asked why should they have to give up normal stuff (like having a beer - not fucking lines of coke and other shit you said to make a more extreme point) because you can be a professional footballer (earning the salaries you mentioned) and still do normal stuff.

So why should they have to give that up?

Success or failure is just that though, black and white, is it not?

Anyway, we obviously have a different mindset and that’s fair enough. UTB
There are literally many tiers of professional football, in this country alone. So I'm not sure black and white applies to success or failure as a pro footballer.

I admire Cristiano Ronaldo for that unbelievable dedication that helped him be one of the very the best in the world/ever. But I also admire Stephen Quinn and Matt Hill.

Sure, I'm unimpressed by Mousset's apparent struggles... But also I don't know the full story at all. Maybe it's actually not possible to keep his weight down, for example. Maybe the drink driving was a one off extreme mistake.

COYB

Who said anything about Tesco?

Of course nobody would choose to stay at Tesco over being a professional footballer, that’s not at all what anyone is saying.

I asked why should they have to give up normal stuff (like having a beer - not fucking lines of coke and other shit you said to make a more extreme point) because you can be a professional footballer (earning the salaries you mentioned) and still do normal stuff.

So why should they have to give that up?

Who said anything about not having a beer?

That list wasn’t intended to be extreme, it was a genuine attempt at a list of the actual ‘sacrifices’ that footballers have to make, restrictions that are not routinely imposed on the activities of others of similar age, in different professions.

I haven’t ever suggested they can’t do normal stuff like having a beer, playing golf, going out with their mates, etc etc, as you said they can do anything in their free time, I absolutely agree 100%.

What I do think and what I did actually say, is if they let any activity get out of control, or don’t adhere to a disciplined lifestyle, so that it impacts their ability to perform at their best and consequently jeopardises their career, then they’re fucking idiots.

TBH I didn’t think that was particularly controversial? 😉

Last edited:
He has free time 😂

He was on sky MNF a couple of months ago and the Everton fans were crying because 'he should be getting fit, not doing telly work'. As if he's going to be doing laps of the training ground and playing low impact Rondo at 9pm on a Monday night.

Was hoping Arsenal would sign him to provide us with a slice of the cake but seemingly they have other targets

Back
Top Bottom