CONFIRMED Dean Henderson returns on season long loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

When you say ‘not doing very much’, you mean physically as opposed to financially? Because the way a lot of these private sector entities work is that you turn a profit, a big profit, you get paid accordingly. If you don’t, we’ll then you don’t and if you lose money hand over fist, the business usually ceases trading. If I make a shi load of money for my employers, then it’s only fair that I should receive the benefit. It doesn’t matter whether you’re lugging bags of coal or pressing a button on a computer.

Football currently operates in a paradoxial state, on one hand people claiming that it operates as a multi billion £ business (a shockingly poorly run one) and on the other hand, usually when the shits hit the financial fan, that they’re part of the community and an important historic entity, and should be exempt from the normal rules of business, blah, blah, fucking blah. Shut clubs down, until the 92 are reduced to a number that are properly run and financially stable.

The wage cap operates in the US well enough in a number of sports, and would stop a situation whereby someone as unproven as DH gets £75k a week.

I like the idea of a compounded wage cap, whereby clubs have to make a decision whether they spunk a chunk of it on a superstar, or go for a slightly higher standard of player across the squad. The problem with a wage cap is that football is a global sport, so UEFA introducing it, might just mean the stars disappear to the MLS or China. It would need to be introduced by FIFA, and even then, well FIFA...

Man U are not going to think about negotiating with us until they've tied him down to a contract. The last thing they want is for him to impress with us and then leave on a free to one of their rivals.

There's an argument, that we need a third keeper anyway. Most, if not all, Premier League clubs have a 3rd choice pro keeper. Normally an old lag. If we got one in, then we'd be a bit more secure in waiting this out. One the plus side, it's not like he needs to gel with the rest of the team so no great hurry.

I like the idea of a compounded wage cap, whereby clubs have to make a decision whether they spunk a chunk of it on a superstar, or go for a slightly higher standard of player across the squad. The problem with a wage cap is that football is a global sport, so UEFA introducing it, might just mean the stars disappear to the MLS or China. It would need to be introduced by FIFA, and even then, well FIFA...

Add to that there is no promotion or relegation in NFL/MLB/NHL/NBA, so it’s impossible to copy the salary cap system from North America.

None.

We lose money every year, it's in the accounts.

All they've done is boosted turnover, which is worth nothing.

The Premier League TV money won’t be shown on any of the accounts yet, how do you know we won’t make a profit next season?

Wilder has done his job and boosted the club’s income dramatically, if the board still decides to run the club at a loss, that’s not Wilder’s fault.

A bit of an aside this, but vaguely connected.
A few weeks back I was at a flea market and overheard some old boys talking about players wages. One must have been in his eighties I suppose and played at some level, may be in one of the FL divisions.
Said he received 1s/6d train fare each way, £1 hotel and a meal, match fee - undisclosed. After a match, if he played, the Trainer entered the dressing room with a bag containing money distributing cash accordingly.
This fella said he used to make £8 per match, Twice his weekly wages.

Of course there is a link between the performance of players/managers and revenue. How much do you think Wilder and his bargain buys have made United
None.

We lose money every year, it's in the accounts.

All they've done is boosted turnover, which is worth nothing.
The Premier League TV money won’t be shown on any of the accounts yet, how do you know we won’t make a profit next season?

Wilder has done his job and boosted the club’s income dramatically, if the board still decides to run the club at a loss, that’s not Wilder’s fault.
You said how.much have they made?
Past tense, the answer is nothing

Saying they may make a profit next season is a different matter altogether.

I don't however see many fans posting "great, we're in the Premier, we may make a profit", I do however see plenty wanting to see some "investment" and some players in though.

Wilder and the players have done quite nicely themselves though with bonuses and new contracts, and quite rightly so but back to the original question and United have "made" nothing out of Wilder and the players

The reason why the club runs at a loss, is we significantly over pay our players compared to our income.

Is that in reply to my comment?

What difference would sorting his loan to us out make to that? He can sort his new contract out after agreeing to return to us on loan. Man U wouldn’t lose him next summer anyway as they have an option of a further year.

But...

Let's say he's on 20k and United have agreed to pay 50% of his wages, what happens if they put him on 75k ?

The Premier League TV money won’t be shown on any of the accounts yet, how do you know we won’t make a profit next season.
So will you be saying well done Wilder if we make a profit but get relegated next season, as Wilder will have done his job and made the club money, or will you be calling for.every last penny and a bit more to be spent in every effort to keep us up?

My god, I’ve only just read this thread. Man Utd are going to pay Dean Henderson £75k p/wk?

That is absolutely ridiculous.

If you're an adult, and a full time professional for one of the richest clubs in the world, you're not going to be on much less than 50k a week anymore.

First team keeper wages at MUFC are £250k....

De Gea & Dean Henderson aren’t even comparable in terms of their career achievements. In no way should De Gea be used as any sort of benchmark for what Henderson should be earning. £75k for Henderson is absolutely ludicrous - even in today’s market conditions.

Who else would pay him anything like that? Why is this contract needed? What is the objective in handing him this deal? It’s no wonder so many young English players amount to nothing when contracts like this are flying about.

Henderson hasn’t even been on United’s bench yet & dare I say it, he isn’t even someone I would class as outstanding. He’s talented, yes. But he doesn’t command his area brilliantly and he has major mistakes in him.

Quite frankly Hendo signing a new contract and with it all the wealth it brings, has zero interest to me. He is a nice young man who is getting paid way way too much for the job he does (and forget about market forces, be is playing fkin football for a living not saving lives every day or putting his life on the line like some of us have done).

No, he is a nice lad who will live very well financially for the rest of his life if he retired now...at 22? Its obscene.

I dont begrudge him doing it, cos i would do the same, but if he wants to sign for us, fkin get on with it sunshine or simply just dont bother. I dont need to see twitter showing him signing a contract. Its just not interesting tbh. And i like the lad.

United should tell Man Utd and the lad that we want to do a deal, and if they fuk about, move on. Simple. Hes a very good young player but thats it. There are other keepers out there who are also very good and who would jump at the chance of playing for United. People shouldnt forget that SUFC are way way more important than any football player. They are fuk all in the scheme of things and the club will still be here when the last diamond earringed dipshit has long since shuffled off their mortal coil.

Ive stopped ranting now....i think..lol !
I don't think it's up to.him ,man yoo won't let him go.out on loan.u til he signs his new contract with them
I'm sure the lad is pretty keen to.come back

But...

Let's say he's on 20k and United have agreed to pay 50% of his wages, what happens if they put him on 75k ?

As I said before, United will have some idea as to what he’s going to be on upon signing his new deal, we’ll either be happy to pay it or we won’t. The exact amount won’t/shouldn’t make too much difference.

He has more than a year left on his contract. He signed one last summer. I don't need to check to know that it will have been more than 2 years. There's no urgent need to get him on a new one.

The sort of wage they're talking about now is what they should possibly consider offering him after he's actually proven something in the top flight. Give him some incentive rather than giving him everything now.

All they're doing by going stupid now is potentially making us pay a ridiculous amount.

I hope we've been clear from the start that we won't pay more in total than what adds up to 50k p/w for the duration of the loan.

Signed a new contract last summer and it runs until next summer, with the option of a further year. I didn’t think it would have been so short either

If Hendo is on 75k a week we wont be paying more than half of that because it would not only blow the wage structure but we could go buy and own a Randolph or Etheridge for a similar sort of outlay and we would own them

De Gea & Dean Henderson aren’t even comparable in terms of their career achievements. In no way should De Gea be used as any sort of benchmark for what Henderson should be earning. £75k for Henderson is absolutely ludicrous - even in today’s market conditions.

Who else would pay him anything like that? Why is this contract needed? What is the objective in handing him this deal? It’s no wonder so many young English players amount to nothing when contracts like this are flying about.

Henderson hasn’t even been on United’s bench yet & dare I say it, he isn’t even someone I would class as outstanding. He’s talented, yes. But he doesn’t command his area brilliantly and he has major mistakes in him.

Agree totally.

We can talk about it being relative to the money now in the game but whatever potential DH has, he's a 22 year old who has never played a first team game for his club. Being awarded that kind of money to keep him at the club is exactly why we have so many young players who dont end up realising their potential.

I'm not suggesting DH will end up that way but it's crazy imho.

Look at Blackman at Chelsea. A long contract last year, no doubt a huge weekly wage, mid 20s and absolutely nowhere near their first team irrespective of his injury.

I'm pretty sure Henderson's agent will be attempting to get the best deal for him, had two good seasons on loan, England U20/21 caps. Daniel James allegedly on 70k not a stretch to think Henderson thinks he deserves similar. In any job you want the best wage you can get. Will MU pay that who knows not down to anybody else but them. The question is what % of his wages will they expect us to pay, we are a Premiership club and they are a business they don't have to do us any favours.

I'm pretty sure Henderson's agent will be attempting to get the best deal for him, had two good seasons on loan, England U20/21 caps. Daniel James allegedly on 70k not a stretch to think Henderson thinks he deserves similar. In any job you want the best wage you can get. Will MU pay that who knows not down to anybody else but them. The question is what % of his wages will they expect us to pay, we are a Premiership club and they are a business they don't have to do us any favours.
Agreed, however it’s also in their interests for him to have a good season and play well. It’s needs to be in the Premier League which reduces the options, however GK isn’t a forgiving position. Much better for him to go to the club he’s been at for a year, where the fans will give him more leeway than others and where he wants to go back to. We have a lot to negotiate with and other tangible options to ensure we get a fair deal in my opinion.

It's a real gamble for.Man U as they could end up paying him 70k a week for 3 years and him never playing for them. However they cant risk losing him in a years time for nothing.

I doubt there are many clubs at all - if any - who would pay Henderson £75k per week and aren’t called Man Utd. So hopefully we’ll still be able to get him back on the contract terms we’re happy to pay. Man Utd will just have to pay towards it, I reckon.

Agreed, however it’s also in their interests for him to have a good season and play well. It’s needs to be in the Premier League which reduces the options, however GK isn’t a forgiving position. Much better for him to go to the club he’s been at for a year, where the fans will give him more leeway than others and where he wants to go back to. We have a lot to negotiate with and other tangible options to ensure we get a fair deal in my opinion.

We have no idea what MU are thinking with regards to his development. It's not a stretch to think his skills will be severely tested next year if he returns to United in the Premiership, that maybe the next stage in his development who knows. As for a fair deal I imagine MU will be thinking the same.

I think a lot of people in this thread clearly haven't been paying attention to wages in the game at the top level. Keepers can get 30k a week for being third choice to fill home grown quotas.

75k for someone who could possibly become their first choice in two seasons is good value in their eyes

I think a lot of people in this thread clearly haven't been paying attention to wages in the game at the top level. Keepers can get 30k a week for being third choice to fill home grown quotas.

75k for someone who could possibly become their first choice in two seasons is good value in their eyes

Totally agree, Henderson has been at MU since he was 14 so clearly they rate him and if 75k is the price to secure him at MU they will pay it.

Totally agree, Henderson has been at MU since he was 14 so clearly they rate him and if 75k is the price to secure him at MU they will pay it.

Agree a £10m risk over 3 years on a developing player such as Henderson is a low risk for a club such as Man Utd. A bigget risk for them is paying silly £50m+ fees (+ salary) on supposed finished articles ( e.g. Lukaku, Fred, Pogba) and requiring them to make an instant impact

Back
Top Bottom