De Girolamo

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Funny how, so soon after Poz Nige having given him a metaphorical kick up the arse last week, Diego suddenly becomes "uninjured" & knocks in a couple for the reserves.

Long may it continue (not that I'm holding out much hope).

Well, they don't sound Italian (nation with a good footballing pedigree in case you didn't know).....

An insult to all blades? Grow up. It was an observation, a suggestion of maybe why SOME people bang on about him. If you feel insulted by my opinion on that then tough. That's your problem not mine.

1. He may have been wanted 4 years ago. Clearly not good enough for either Manchester side if he wasn't hoovered up as they do with decent young talent.

2. Playing against other kids is different to playing men.

3. Shows how poor he is then given the likes of those you mention and he couldn't force past them.

If you're good enough you're old enough for the first team.

From what I've seen, he clearly isn't good enough. Will he develop? Who knows but time is cracking on. If he isn't good enough now to break into the team (after.....yet another.....current injury), will he ever be?

But obviously you would like him to do well and break into the team? The reason I ask is that every point you make is negative.

Of course I don't know how well or not he will do but to seemingly want to write off a young player who has had a horrendous injury is to me just a little odd?

Funny how, so soon after Poz Nige having given him a metaphorical kick up the arse last week, Diego suddenly becomes "uninjured" & knocks in a couple for the reserves.

Long may it continue (not that I'm holding out much hope).

Yes it was a kick up the arse Alfreton and probably a deserved kick. Having said that I don't think he has become 'uninjured' any more than Brayford has become 'uninjured'. I really do hope he settles down works hard and 'kicks on' for the Blades.

Well, they don't sound Italian (nation with a good footballing pedigree in case you didn't know).....

An insult to all blades? Grow up. It was an observation, a suggestion of maybe why SOME people bang on about him. If you feel insulted by my opinion on that then tough. That's your problem not mine.

1. He may have been wanted 4 years ago. Clearly not good enough for either Manchester side if he wasn't hoovered up as they do with decent young talent.

2. Playing against other kids is different to playing men.

3. Shows how poor he is then given the likes of those you mention and he couldn't force past them.

If you're good enough you're old enough for the first team.

From what I've seen, he clearly isn't good enough. Will he develop? Who knows but time is cracking on. If he isn't good enough now to break into the team (after.....yet another.....current injury), will he ever be?

I just think it’s a lazy, oversimplified view that is someone uttered once without a second thought and so many have latched onto. Really, what fan in their right mind would think a kid is exceptional just because he has a foreign name? I did forget one thing from my list though. The talk of Baggio and Sacchi making personal contact with Diego to persuade him to play for Italy over England. That again points to a kid of enormous potential that such people are going out of their way to tie them down. Again, this isn’t down to him being Italian. If he was English and Irish and Gary Neville was going to see him to try to get him tied down to England that would also prompt a belief that he must be a prospect.

Like I say, it’s not happened for him for whatever reason and I’m not calling for him to be in the team. Just pointing out that 99.99% of fans wouldn’t be daft enough to think he was a world beater just because he has an Italian name.

Also, you say he’s been crap for the first team. Have you seen all of his appearances? I missed his debut at Coventry in the JPT under Wilson but read the rave reviews after that performances and listened to Edwards eulogising about his promise. He has struggled on the wing when I’ve seen him play there though.

It’s a shame as he seems to have really had something about him but the combination of a horrendous injury at such a young age and possibly having the wrong attitude seems to have held him back.

I just think it’s a lazy, oversimplified view that is someone uttered once without a second thought and so many have latched onto. Really, what fan in their right mind would think a kid is exceptional just because he has a foreign name? I did forget one thing from my list though. The talk of Baggio and Sacchi making personal contact with Diego to persuade him to play for Italy over England. That again points to a kid of enormous potential that such people are going out of their way to tie them down. Again, this isn’t down to him being Italian. If he was English and Irish and Gary Neville was going to see him to try to get him tied down to England that would also prompt a belief that he must be a prospect.

Like I say, it’s not happened for him for whatever reason and I’m not calling for him to be in the team. Just pointing out that 99.99% of fans wouldn’t be daft enough to think he was a world beater just because he has an Italian name.

Also, you say he’s been crap for the first team. Have you seen all of his appearances? I missed his debut at Coventry in the JPT under Wilson but read the rave reviews after that performances and listened to Edwards eulogising about his promise. He has struggled on the wing when I’ve seen him play there though.

It’s a shame as he seems to have really had something about him but the combination of a horrendous injury at such a young age and possibly having the wrong attitude seems to have held him back.
He's had a terrible run of injury problems. It's always worth inserting some facts about Diego.

He's only been selected to play 295 minutes for United and he's scored once.

He's only played 1375 minutes first team football in total (ie about 15.5 games) and he's scored 5 times.

A goal every 3 or so games isn't bad for a youngster trying to break through.

Adkins knows his main problem is attaining full fitness. Time is running out unfortunately. It's difficult to learn all the elements of first team football if you keep having fitness issues.

There's a section of our fan base just loves to wish failure on players though - great isn't it ?

The talk of Baggio and Sacchi was all without any subsistence. No proof was ever made other than someone's talking. Now IF it was true and this did happen and they were touting, then I will be the first to hold my hands up and accept that but without proof it is just all talk.

I have seen the vast majority and in those he was no better than anything else we had in the team at that time. Certainly didn't bring anything to the games I've seen him play. I never said I saw all of his appearances and was basing my judgement (like everyone does). Based on what I've seen.

I also think you never read my comments at all regarding the hype around him.
I asked a question about why is there any hype around him, putting in a clearly rhetorical question about his name.
For some reason you have added your own spin into it.

Nothing would please me more than seeing him knuckle down workhis nuts off and become a star
Messi is the worlds most talented footballer
but trains like a dog , he works works and works some more
Diego knows he has talent but has up till now not put in the hours of relentless training to be special
Players cant knock Messi off the ball due to his balance and in built strength , hes earned from his training regime
Diego needs to really put more in and could reap rich rewards

But obviously you would like him to do well and break into the team? The reason I ask is that every point you make is negative.

Of course I don't know how well or not he will do but to seemingly want to write off a young player who has had a horrendous injury is to me just a little odd?

Of course, and if he does make it. Fair play to the lad.
I like many others want our youth team players to do well for us and beyond.

It appears that despite this being a forum for debate, people have taken umbridge to me having my own opinion that doesn't fit in with theirs. I don't get why the big issue with me saying he should have had his contract renewed. The times I've read on here people slagging off first team players and questioning why contracts have been extended etc with no one battering an eye lid. The time someone comes on and questions why we have done it to a youth team player and people get up in arms about it.

I'm not a fan of his based on the things I read, head and see. Is that wrong?
The amount of topics surrounding him I see on here is unbelievable for someone who can't break into an average league one team.

I clearly must be the only blade in the world that cannot see what everyone else does about him.

And to be fair that's all I asked in my first post on this, after staying MY opinion of we shouldn't have renewed his contract (he did turn down one mid season last year didn't he because he thought he would get a better offer elsewhere? Correct me if I'm wrong?)

I am happy to debate it, just not interested in a match of "I shout louder than you, so my opinion is fact and yours is wrong"

There's a section of our fan base just loves to wish failure on players though - great isn't it ?

Haha really? Is that a genuine comment? At what stage has anyone on here actually wished failure on a player?

While ever someone pulls on that shirt for United, I, like many others (not all according to your World) want them to be the best they can and support them. Some clearly (and quite wrongly) boo - whole other debate - when things are not going right but the majority just get on with it in a hope that the player in question has an upturn in form.

I certainly don't know of any blades that wish failure upon a player of the club?
Clearly you do otherwise you wouldn't have come out with that ridiculous comment.

And for the record - (though not to appease the Diego love-in crowd that have seemingly hijacked the debate/thread) - I hope the kid proves me wrong and turns into a good player. Time will only tell.

The talk of Baggio and Sacchi was all without any subsistence. No proof was ever made other than someone's talking. Now IF it was true and this did happen and they were touting, then I will be the first to hold my hands up and accept that but without proof it is just all talk.

Of course I wasn't in on the phone call, however I spoke to his dad at the match some time ago (around the time of the call up) and he did indeed tell me that was the case. And for what it's worth his Dad comes across as a thoroughly decent friendly bloke who wants the best for his lad and from speaking to him that call was indeed what made his mind up to play for Italy at youth level. He certainly didn't come across as a bullshitter and was obviously excited about the call given his Italian heritage.

Last edited:
Of course I wasn't in on the phone call, however I spoke to his dad at the match some time ago (around the time of the call up) and he did indeed tell me that was the case. And for what it's worth his Dad comes across as a thoroughly decent friendly bloke who wants the best for his lad and from speaking to him that call was indeed what made his mind up to play for Italy at youth level. He certainly didn't come across as a bullshitter and was obviously excited about the call given his Italian heritage.

Fair play

(he did turn down one mid season last year didn't he because he thought he would get a better offer elsewhere? Correct me if I'm wrong?)
People that don't like Diego and people that liked Clough, incidently one's still here and the other isn't, are the ones that took this view. The ones that could see the football reasons behind it thought that he didn't want to sign it due to the fact he wasn't getting a chance and wanted first team football, hence him wanting to go out on loan, his words. Whether he deserved that chance or not was another debate.

People that don't like Diego and people that liked Clough, incidently one's still here and the other isn't, are the ones that took this view. The ones that could see the football reasons behind it thought that he didn't want to sign it due to the fact he wasn't getting a chance and wanted first team football, hence him wanting to go out on loan, his words. Whether he deserved that chance or not was another debate.

I know what you mean. There's always two sides to the story. It would be interesting to hear what (or who!) the real issue was with it all.

As I say, I am happy to be corrected if wrong but that's how I read into it when it all came out.

I don't give a fuck what Diego's Daft Dad does, thinks or says. He is a fucking irrelevance.

Does anyone know what Connor Sammon's Auntie Colleen thinks?....

I don't give a fuck what Diego's Daft Dad does, thinks or says. He is a fucking irrelevance.

Should Sammon indeed have an Auntie Colleen, I imagine she would think you are an angry man with a fixation on the rubbishing of academy players.

What an irrelevant post. My answer was in response to a direct question about the veracity of a claim. Of course with it mentioning Diego's Dad it sends you into a little bit of a hissy fit.

Whatever floats your boat though. :)

I have seen the vast majority and in those he was no better than anything else we had in the team at that time. Certainly didn't bring anything to the games I've seen him play. I never said I saw all of his appearances and was basing my judgement (like everyone does). Based on what I've seen.

I also think you never read my comments at all regarding the hype around him.
I asked a question about why is there any hype around him, putting in a clearly rhetorical question about his name.
For some reason you have added your own spin into it.

Clarkey, I didn’t mean it as having a go at your overall view; apologies if it came across that way; Nor was I saying Diego will be a superstar or should be in the first team; it was just the line about people being fooled by the name I took exception to and it’s not specific to you as it’s a point I’ve seen raised many times and found it just as aggravating from everyone I see or hear making that comment. I just don’t buy it at all and I think it’s an idea people have latched onto without much thought and I think it implies an unbelievable level of stupidity amongst anyone who has ever bigged up his potential or ability (I’ve heard and read opinions of people who watch the youngsters regularly who rated him very highly and they are people who’s opinions I respect who I’m convinced wouldn’t be dazzled by an Italian name). The rest of what you say is valid. He hasn’t pulled up any trees in most of his first team football (though I don't think he's been as bad as some suggest either) so I’d agree that those demanding he play in the first team are being a little silly but personally, I suspect reasons such as injury and attitude are more likely to be the cause of the failure (thus far) to deliver rather than an initial lack of ability and him only being propelled into the spotlight because of his name.

She blames Nigel Clough for their Connor failing at Derby.

Clarkey, I didn’t mean it as having a go at your overall view; apologies if it came across that way; Nor was I saying Diego will be a superstar or should be in the first team; it was just the line about people being fooled by the name I took exception to and it’s not specific to you as it’s a point I’ve seen raised many times and found it just as aggravating from everyone I see or hear making that comment. I just don’t buy it at all and I think it’s an idea people have latched onto without much thought and I think it implies an unbelievable level of stupidity amongst anyone who has ever bigged up his potential or ability (I’ve heard and read opinions of people who watch the youngsters regularly who rated him very highly and they are people who’s opinions I respect who I’m convinced wouldn’t be dazzled by an Italian name). The rest of what you say is valid. He hasn’t pulled up any trees in most of his first team football (though I don't think he's been as bad as some suggest either) so I’d agree that those demanding he play in the first team are being a little silly but personally, I suspect reasons such as injury and attitude are more likely to be the cause of the failure (thus far) to deliver rather than an initial lack of ability and him only being propelled into the spotlight because of his name.

Nah I know what you mean. And please don't think I was having a direct pop back either!!

Me thinks there was some lost in translation (as there is a difference on how things are mean't/said as to how they look when typed and that goes for my first post that started it all!) ;)

Though I do fully accept your points as they make sense :D
The point I made about his name was borne from something I have read on here previous, many moons ago, when some stated the exact same thing. To me I couldn't give a toss if he was called Dave, John or Ronaldo! All that matters to me (and I suspect the vast vast majority!) is what he can do on on the pitch at the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom