De Girolamo

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

When a league 1 reserves player is driving round in a range rover, you know the world has gone mad
Back in the early 70s my Flatmate's girlfriend in Leeds regularly travelled on the same bus as Frank Gray (Father of Andy) just as he was breaking into the Leeds First team. Can't imagine many young pros go to training on the bus these days!

Nigel Adkins has been quoted as saying DDG needs to get fir and learn what it takes to be a professional.

Is that a veiled dig at the lad’s attitude? It’s been questioned on a few occasions previously.

It’s looking to me like this lad might plummet like the Lee Morris and Owen Morrison’s of this world. Talent alone won’t get him where he needs to be.

Doesn't seem all that veiled!

That decision to offer him an improved contract looks inspired, now, doesn't it?
Was it improved on the one offers when Clough was here? Thought it was the same, just there hadn't been much interest and he was happy to stay once the nasty man had gone.

Only Tossers drive range rovers

Swiss-Toni-800x450.jpg

Back in the early 70s my Flatmate's girlfriend in Leeds regularly travelled on the same bus as Frank Gray (Father of Andy) just as he was breaking into the Leeds First team. Can't imagine many young pros go to training on the bus these days!

I heard a rumour that Lee Hughes used to get the bus to training when he was an Oldham Athletic player

Nigel Adkins has been quoted as saying DDG needs to get fir and learn what it takes to be a professional.

Is that a veiled dig at the lad’s attitude? It’s been questioned on a few occasions previously.

It’s looking to me like this lad might plummet like the Lee Morris and Owen Morrison’s of this world. Talent alone won’t get him where he needs to be.

I think NA could say that about most of our supposed first team players.

IMO Adkins' best interview to date on how we've been maddeningly inconsistent, not fit enough and not incisive with our passing.

Interesting that he quotes the last two defeats as narrow margins and had we won those we'd have been 2 points off automatics.

He needs to aware of certain scenarios on Saturday:
- we win, we go 6th (or 5th if Wigan lose heavily)
- draw and worst case we drop to 11th
- lose and we could be worst case 14th

Narrow margins indeed and obviously it depends on all other results going against us but fans will go crackers if we drop to 14th.

It's a really important game that we must win.

When a league 1 reserves player is driving round in a range rover, you know the world has gone mad

If he drives one it will probably be a rental one I would assume. however theres always the other possibility?

just listened to the interview.... regarding DDG he's basically said in so many words he hasnt a chance of first team action without a drastic improvement in application & attitude.

thumbs up from me for NA!!!

image.jpg Im a bastard for judging a strikers worth by quickly looking at his stats on Wikipedia. I've even done it today with Alex Revell.
Diego is 20 now, he's young but he's officially not a wonderkid anymore(if he ever was) and if we were signing him I'd look straight at this...

To be fair his Dad being very very wealthy might have something to do with that.

yeah a friend of his told me that his dad bought it him. Yes its a lovely car, but its quite embarrassing when you are driving in a big flash car like some big shot at 20 but not even making the bench in at a league 1 side.

It was disappointing we offered him a new contract at the start of the season.

The moment he turned down the offer they made originally last season and was looking elsewhere was enough for me. Should have cut him loose there and then. It was clear at that moment he had no desire to be at Sheffield United (billy big syndrome?) and when he renewed his contract pre-season smacked of desperation and realisation that he wouldn't find another club as big as this one and would probably end up in non-league obscurity like many others before him.

All that talk of Juventus?! Haha I always loved that rumour. Why would they have a kid from Chesterfield who can't even break into an average league one side?

I've never seen why there has been any hype around him. The very few times he has actually played for the first team, he was nothing special by a long stretch. I don't understand where the hype came from?
Exotic sounding name maybe? We certainly wouldn't have had people banging on about him if he was called John Smith.

Just another average (at best) product of the academy.

yeah a friend of his told me that his dad bought it him. Yes its a lovely car, but its quite embarrassing when you are driving in a big flash car like some big shot at 20 but not even making the bench in at a league 1 side.

It's only embarrassing if he acts the big time Charlie some say he does. I've only ever judged him on his first team appearances as they are the only games ( and all of them) I've seen him in. Apart from a fifteen minute spell away at Preston when we were on top, he was very poor.

That URL says Sheffield Untied - it really is coming apart at the seams.

:-(

Lol It does indeed Fatty. I missed that one!

When I read a 'brace for De-Girolamo', I thought his knees had gone again.
I'm sure there will be lots of posters along soon to congratulate him and hope his recovery and form carries through to the first team...........:tumbleweed:

Lol It does indeed Fatty. I missed that one!

When I read a 'brace for De-Girolamo', I thought his knees had gone again.
I'm sure there will be lots of posters along soon to congratulate him and hope his recovery and form carries through to the first team...........:tumbleweed:
I will. I want all our kids to do well. Hope he can get a short term loan, prove he's back on his game and get some opportunities in the first team.

It seems I'm the only Blade who likes the guy, I think he's the flair we need! Him and Baxter Central Attacking Midfield, could be a great partnership. Give the lad a chance, He showed it at York and Northampton, and the way we are playing the standard of football can't be that big of a difference (we're crap!) If He scores goals who cares about his attitude? If he's doesn't prove himself, then bin him off! For all we know he could be what we need.

Anyone agree? I could be completely wrong, but we don't know until he shows.

He showed it at York and Northampton

What did he show at Northampton exactly? He seemed to burn all bridges with York by at the drop of a hat getting away from their relegation battle so he could be in a side near the top of the table (a move that Clough made clear was at De Girolamo's request), and his time there appears to have been a failure.

He's not progressing in any way to the degree that we'd have expected when he first came onto the scene. There is still time, but I'd say the signs he'll be of use to us in the future are not good.

I've never seen why there has been any hype around him. The very few times he has actually played for the first team, he was nothing special by a long stretch. I don't understand where the hype came from?
Exotic sounding name maybe? We certainly wouldn't have had people banging on about him if he was called John Smith.
Just another average (at best) product of the academy.

This suggestion does my fucking nut in and is an insult to all Blades fans. Why aren’t we clamouring for Khan and Heh to start every game if an exotic name is enough?

The reasons for the hype are as follows:

1. The rumours he was wanted by both Manchester clubs at 15.

2. The reports of those who watch the academy kids regularly saying he was head and shoulders above his peer group.

3. The fact that since he’s been on the fringes of the squad, we’ve seen Forte, Cresswell, Cofie, Ironside, Higdon and Porter all play several games up front. At time, it seemed our options were so poor it seemed it had to be worth giving him a go.

Now, the real question is, why, if he was so good at 15/16 amongst his peers, is he struggling to step up now at 19? I would say it’s probably some combination of the following:-

1. He lacks the aggression and strength to mix it with real men.

2. The very serious injury he suffered has held him back significantly.

3. He lacks the attitude and dedication required to make it as a professional.

I suspect there are elements of all three of the above at play but I don’t know to what extent each applies. I hope he gets his head down, has a month or 2 out on loan until Jan to try to prove himself and comes back and presents a genuine option.

This suggestion does my fucking nut in and is an insult to all Blades fans. Why aren’t we clamouring for Khan and Heh to start every game if an exotic name is enough?

The reasons for the hype are as follows:

1. The rumours he was wanted by both Manchester clubs at 15.

2. The reports of those who watch the academy kids regularly saying he was head and shoulders above his peer group.

3. The fact that since he’s been on the fringes of the squad....

Well, they don't sound Italian (nation with a good footballing pedigree in case you didn't know).....

An insult to all blades? Grow up. It was an observation, a suggestion of maybe why SOME people bang on about him. If you feel insulted by my opinion on that then tough. That's your problem not mine.

1. He may have been wanted 4 years ago. Clearly not good enough for either Manchester side if he wasn't hoovered up as they do with decent young talent.

2. Playing against other kids is different to playing men.

3. Shows how poor he is then given the likes of those you mention and he couldn't force past them.

If you're good enough you're old enough for the first team.

From what I've seen, he clearly isn't good enough. Will he develop? Who knows but time is cracking on. If he isn't good enough now to break into the team (after.....yet another.....current injury), will he ever be?

Back
Top Bottom