Cue meltdown

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Apparently it's someone with no love for United. That's what I've read anyway.

Genuinely curious here, where did you happen to read this one?

..because you've also posted that you'd 'been told' (by whom?) the leaks come from us and McCabe is going all pommpey all over everyone's ass.'

You guys probably may not read this but I'm gunna put my point across.

I am AGAINST the signing of Ched Evans. And I have my reasons. Just to clarify, this is nothing to do with the private life (shall we say) he had quite recently but these are my top 3 reasons.

1) Value -> Ched Evans is now a 28 year old striker, who was to play in the forth tier of English football having only scored seven goals in League 1. Now I'm no businessman, but it does not take a brain surgeon to work out that the cost of bringing him back in bizarre. £500,000? For a player that is approaching his 30s? A player who is still recovering for the trauma he has been through? To me that is silly business and there is guaranteed to be players younger, fitter and hungrier to prove their point in the second best prize in English Football. Think about it, we've been scoring goals left, right and centre all season, when was the last time you uttered the words "we need a frontman" this season?. If Evans hadn't had played for us before then would we be signing him now? No I didn't think so either.

2) Dividing Fans -> A classic examplar of a family club are Sheffield United and the fact of the matter is our fans have been sensational this season in particular with getting behind the boys that the legend Chris Wilder has marshalled. Dividing fans should not even be considered in this section but you know as well as I do, there fans will disagree with each other. But subjects like this can provoke fans highly to the point where crowd trouble could occur. After a season where our fans were United in the namesake of our glorious football club. I feel as if in a few months time the feeling of being United as fans will disappear over the signing of Evans.

3) Bad Memories -> The day Evans got sent down were horrible and it badly effected our 2011-12 campaign to the point where we were pipped to automatic promotion by non other than another Sheffield side. Yes that was bad, but moving a few years forward to the day where the headline "Ched Evans Released From Prison" was seen in front of you, can you remember the two weeks after that? I can, and it was painful. Never in my 35 years of the supporting the Blades did I feel sick and sad by what was being said about my team all over the news and every tabloid you picked up. I felt bullied and genuinely felt heartbroken that my team are becoming one of the most hated clubs in Britain, over what? A player who was convicted for Rape...in which the case was later quashed and the defendant was found not guilty? This is the kind of unnecessary event that could only happen to Sheffield United, but still bring back some horrible memories of discomfort and rage.

All in all, IF Evans comes back I'll still be here to cheer HIM and the Blades on. I'm not going to be a supporter that is going to avoid Bramall Lane(I can understand their point also). But I can also understand that I may be a minority with my view and I fully support you guys with your views in the fact you'd love him back at the club. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Fucking hell my arms are killing after writing that...
Of course you have the right to an opinion but like most fans we don't know the full facts to of the transfer.You either trust Wilder or not which camp are you in ?
No way are we paying 500k for a player who has yet to prove his fitness.
Can't you see the positives in this,if chef gets fit we have a quality striker for peanuts ,if grant reach the levels required we lose whatever we put up front.O,viciously wilder and the club feel hits a chance worth taking

now lets see
Wilder has made champions out of Coutts Freeman and Basham and taken Cardiffs reserve keeper and made him a legend
but people doubt he can get a player who has scored 30 plus goals in a season who was robbed of his livelihood by a wrong court decision back on track

hmmm logic not a strong suit for some

There are some very sheltered people with old fashioned values on this forum who haven't seen much life.

They don't realise that many young men and women get paralyticlllay drunk then have sex with whoever they can. Then one or both can't remember anything the next day. Also loads of young adults have threesomes, group sex etc. There are male, and believe it or not female sexual predators out every weekend but some men refuse to believe that some women love sex and will sleep with anyone because they love sex. But I suppose some of the old fashioned types would call them slags because in their mind women aren't allowed to enjoy and want sex more than men.

One of the big issues is the sexualisatiion and drink culture within society. Times are so different to when the rape laws were writtten. Technically speaking rape probably occurs 1000's of times a week but those women and men wouldn't even class it as rape.

Thats the reason Ched was found not guilty on trial because very similar events have happened regularly to the girl. Remember she never accused Ched of rape because she couldn't remember, that's the difference. It's weird but surely it must be a relief to the girl to realise she wasn't raped after all but so many people want to be offended and assume she didn't want a threesome, simply because in their morals they refuse to believe any girl could ever want a threesome

It's not about being a prude.

Everyone agrees that if you're mate doses a lass with rohypnol and invites you to Fuck her, that's rape.

Everyone agrees that if two or more people get battered and have sex, the someone regrets it, that's definitely not rape.

The question is where is the line?

There's sufficient evidence in the ched case to be suspicious.

There's not enough evidence to be sure beyond doubt that hid did anything illegal.

The whole think has sunk in a bit now. Suck it up.

Smells of another ludicrous decision to me though.

Not the smell of wilder n knill.

Without having any previous knowledge of the case, let's say you lived in space for 5 years and he never played for Sheff Utd, here are the facts broken down - He was sentenced to 5 years in jail and served 2.5 years for a crime he didn't commit.

That is the view of Ched Evans and the view of his family, but more importantly, that is the view of the country. He is a free man and his record now shows that he never even committed the crime for which he was sentenced.

Now he is getting a new job, a promotion on his current one. He'll earn more money and the prospects are far greater than his current place of work. When his potential new employer says - "Do you have a criminal record?" he can simply answer "no".

Without having any previous knowledge of the case, let's say you lived in space for 5 years and he never played for Sheff Utd, here are the facts broken down - He was sentenced to 5 years in jail and served 2.5 years for a crime he didn't commit.

That is the view of Ched Evans and the view of his family, but more importantly, that is the view of the country. He is a free man and his record now shows that he never even committed the crime for which he was sentenced.

Now he is getting a new job, a promotion on his current one. He'll earn more money and the prospects are far greater than his current place of work. When his potential new employer says - "Do you have a criminal record?" he can simply answer "no".
I can't read that without thinking of the A Team.

just to add...

I know a bloke who was remanded in custody for rape, he didn't do it and was released eventually. Some of his family had disowned him. He had an horrific few weeks but eventually justice prevailed and he got on with his life. Imagine if that horror had lasted for knocking on 6 years and still people think you're guilty after what was meant to be a bit of fun for all parties.

I can only comment on the ched case because I have some knowledge of some of the details, having obviously been interested in the matter.

I've stated elsewhere on here that if ched scores 30 goals next season and we win the championship then I'll have to reconsider.

That just shows how shallow any moral outrage is for me.

It's sunk in now, and it's hardly the biggest blow I've had to endure as blade.

I'm just dissapointed, because this season had cured me of my bitterness about the whole thing in the first place.

The conviction certainly seemed unusual if not (and as it turned out, unsound)

Several unusual things to note.....

No one involved said anybody raped any body.

Only two people could remember what happened, and one of them, an innocent man, said nobody was raped.

It stank.

and just to add... I made a point about "the line" in these situations.

Ched was very well paid, as a professional footballer, with a media profile, to not walk too close to the line.

He definitely did that, and it's hard to welcome him back when it cost us so much.

He won't play. He isn't fit and hasn't been for a while now. The timing isn't good but this isn't down to united. Now we have all had time to digest it we just need to concentrate on Sunday, getting a win, 100 points and lifting the trophy. Let's just enjoy the day for what it's meant to be

simple in't it

I can only comment on the ched case because I have some knowledge of some of the details, having obviously been interested in the matter.

I've stated elsewhere on here that if ched scores 30 goals next season and we win the championship then I'll have to reconsider.

That just shows how shallow any moral outrage is for me.

It's sunk in now, and it's hardly the biggest blow I've had to endure as blade.

I'm just dissapointed, because this season had cured me of my bitterness about the whole thing in the first place.

The conviction certainly seemed unusual if not (and as it turned out, unsound)

Several unusual things to note.....

No one involved said anybody raped any body.

Only two people could remember what happened, and one of them, an innocent man, said nobody was raped.

It stank.

The girl couldn't remember.

It’ll probably end up being an undisclosed fee but the local journos have got hold of a figure of £500k which presumably came from somewhere. That said, it might be one of those deals worth up to £500k which depends on Evans captaining Wales at the World Cup final for all we know.

Recon we'd have to pay £525K for that

As I've said before, I think the guy is a twat for what he did.

But, the verdict got overturned and he's a free man. There are players who have done far worse (aren't there Luke McCormick). Personally, I think there are better options out there, but it's really not about what I think.

I wouldn't say it's "ruined" anything, just could have done without the shitstorm.

Shitstorm [already blown over] created by others.

Fair enough. I meant in the context of the case, at the time. Although I should also probably have said "and one of them was a man found not guilty"

Been on the bench for the last 3 but has played more often than not before that I think. If we could get him for 500k I agree he'd be the better signing. I just think he'd cost a lot more than that.

It's not about being a prude.

Everyone agrees that if you're mate doses a lass with rohypnol and invites you to Fuck her, that's rape.

Everyone agrees that if two or more people get battered and have sex, the someone regrets it, that's definitely not rape.

The question is where is the line?

There's sufficient evidence in the ched case to be suspicious.

There's not enough evidence to be sure beyond doubt that hid did anything illegal.

The whole think has sunk in a bit now. Suck it up.

Smells of another ludicrous decision to me though.

Not the smell of wilder n knill.

again its been decided in a court of law he didnt rape her

yes very poor behaviour but see far worse here in Benidorm a thousand times every night
mostly women on the pull. theres some frightened me

all those being prudish about it should get a grip on real life and what goes in on every day of the week by millions of people

lets not forget the biggest use of the internet is still for sexual reasons
anyone who denies that is well deluded

The girl couldn't remember.

or said she couldnt , who knows
surely its like a penalty
unless your 100 per cent certain , you shouldnt give one

you should not convict unless there's absolutely no doubt at all

isnt that why we stopped the death penalty
but in this case it was conviction by conjecture

Assuming this is the board's decision (which I would say it seemingly is), why do they think we owe Ched anything? His contract was up that summer and he did a stupid thing that cost us promotion (regardless of whether or not the court deemed it to be rape). Five years ago he might have been good enough for tier 2 football, but he's done nothing to prove it since then... and 500k ?! Madness.

I don't think for one minute that this decision has been taken because the board feel we owe him something. That's ridiculous. There's no sentiment in business mate, believe me. The decision has been taken because the Board, and Chris Wilder, believe that he's a good footballer who can do a job for us at Championship level. That's all there is to it really. They will be fully aware, as we all are, that it's a gamble because we don't know if he can ever get back to the kind of form that he was. But they think, for £500k, it's worth a punt. And I agree with them and am going into this with an open mind. He might be constantly plagued by injuries and it could all prove to be a flop. On the other hand, if he can get fit and stay fit, it could be the bargain of the century! We just don't know do we? But in business you sometimes have to take calculated risks and this is what they are doing. Unlike you, I don't think £500k is a lot of money - not for a Championship potential striker. I'm much happier with us paying £500k for Evans than spending £10M on the likes of Hooper or Rhodes or Fletcher. Also, I don't think Evans is the only new striker we'll be signing either. So it's not like we only had £500k and have blown it all on Evans for sentimental reasons - which is what you seem to be inferring.

I'm much happier with us paying £500k for Evans than spending £10M on the likes of Hooper or Rhodes or Fletcher.

That is a false analogy though isn't it, trying to justify what is ( for us) a large purchase (not that I think we'd pay anywhere near £500k upfront)...we are not going to spend £10 million on anyone next season are we?

That is a false analogy though isn't it, trying to justify what is ( for us) a large purchase (not that I think we'd pay anywhere near £500k upfront)...we are not going to spend £10 million on anyone next season are we?
And if the pigs go up, spending all that money on Fletcher, Hooper, Rhodes etc won't look so stupid.

Depends how you look at it, if they go up, it will be money well spent .

And if the pigs go up, spending all that money on Fletcher, Hooper, Rhodes etc won't look so stupid.

I'm not so sure Bush, I'd question whether any of those are good enough for the Prem, so they might have to spend again.

Back
Top Bottom