Could we match the Leeds formation?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

mattbianco1

Forum Royalty
Reaction score
Noticed that Leeds play a 3-2-4-1 formation. Given our lack of strikers at the club, could this be something we could look at without changing "too much" of our formation?

Something like this?

Ramsdale
Basham - Egan - Ampadu
Berge - Norwood
Baldock - Lundstram - Fleck - Stevens
Burke
Could maybe style it a little deeper as so:

Ramsdale
Basham - Egan - Ampadu
Baldock -Berge - Norwood - Stevens
Lundstram - Fleck
Burke​

Noticed that Leeds play a 3-2-4-1 formation. Given our lack of strikers at the club, could this be something we could look at without changing "too much" of our formation?

Something like this?

Ramsdale
Basham - Egan - Ampadu
Berge - Norwood
Burke​

Leeds are interesting in that they set up 4-1-4-1 with Phillips CDM and Bamford up top

Although Bielsa's approach is that when they have possession the 4-1-4-1 turns into his famed 3-3-1-3

Leeds are interesting in that they set up 4-1-4-1 with Phillips CDM and Bamford up top

Although Bielsa's approach is that when they have possession the 4-1-4-1 turns into his famed 3-3-1-3

.... a bit like this below. The AM joined the attack which is why they look sometimes they have a front 4

leeds1.jpg

A good piece on how Leeds set up on MOTD2 by Jenas.

Often match the opposition up in certain areas of the pitch to allow a spare man to roam.

Bamford said his tactic was to peel off the back of the middle centre back which worked a few times.

Whether he'd have had the same joy with Egan I'm not sure. Thought Ampadu and Robinson had decent games but are notably weaker in the air than Egsn and JOC.

I don’t think we can play that formation.

We are very short creatively In the squad. In fact other than Burke ( who has been brought in to play a different role) - we don’t have a single player that could conceivably be with either a wide forward or an attacking midfielder.

We are going to have to hope we get more joy out of our current set up. Keep faith and try and create the overloads.

Maybe if we are still struggling we might need to try Lowe and bogle to see if they can provide more in an attacking sense.

Something like this?

Ramsdale
Basham - Egan - Ampadu
Berge - Norwood
Burke

Ramsdale
Basham - Egan - Ampadu
Lundstram - Fleck
Burke​

Swap Lunny for Didzy and you might be onto something

I'm not quite sure we're ready to rip up the formation that has been so successful over the last 4 years completely just yet but, for me, we should certainly be looking at different formations to mix things up a bit. How long do we go with the whole definition of insanity "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"?

Unfortunately our whole recruitment policy is geared towards our current formation and I feel any change would probably be counter productive. Not quite sure what the tweaks CW alluded to pre season are at the moment as looks like we're playing exactly the same as last season.

Let's look at the options:

3-4-2-1

Rambo
Bash Egan Robinson/New Signing
Baldock Berge Fleck Stevens
Didzy Burke
McBurnie

3-4-3

Rambo
Bash Egan Robinson/New Signing
Baldock Berge Fleck Stevens
Didzy McBurnie Burke

4-1-4-1

Rambo
Baldock Egan Robinson/New Signing Stevens
Norwood/Ampadu
Burke Berge Fleck Osbourne
McBurnie

4-2-3-1

Rambo
Baldock Egan Robinson/New Signing Stevens
Berge Norwood/Ampadu
Burke Didzy Fleck
McBurnie

I'm really not convinced any of these would be better than what we have now as, barring the 1st 10 minutes vs Wolves, we haven't actually been that bad but have just not been clinical enough. Maybe Brewster will solve this???

If we don’t sign a replacement for JOC, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us go to a back 4, especially if the poor form continues.

Something like this?

Ramsdale
Basham - Egan - Ampadu
Berge - Norwood
Burke

Ramsdale
Basham - Egan - Ampadu
Lundstram - Fleck
Burke​
I do think we need a change in order to get players further up the pitch to put pressure on the opposition and support the forwards. At the moment we don't have a striker on the pitch until Sharp comes on. I'd prefer Osborn or Ampadu instead of Norwood. That would put Stevens or Robinson at lcb with the new lad Lowe on the left. Fleck has to be given freedom to go forward and run with the ball. Burke instead of Lunny with a forward at the top. If we want Mcburnie to develop he has to play and get the managers backing like Beckford has.

Fuck it. Defensive 4-4-2.

Ramsdale
Baldock - Egan - Ampadu - Stevens
Bogle - Norwood - Berge - Lowe
Burke - Mcburnie

Look to let Lowe and bogle get forward and press high up to win the ball back, and come back to double up as extra full backs when under pressure. Get Norwood to pass it, Berge to run with it. Mcburnie to win flick ons or come deep to collect the ball and try to make something happen. Burke to run in behind.

Options from bench: Osborn, fleck, Mcgoldrick, Basham would all do something to change the game in different ways if they came on.

Back
Top Bottom