Could we do better with a different manager?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Could we do better with a different manager?

• Total voters

Come on fallowfield you're being a WUM too long now.

But I'm more shocked you haven't been called a "fannie" yet with these posts like me, bladesman and captainmorgans get called for being on the injury thread.

Hahah that was bait for people

I’m been serious though plenty of managers far better than hecky

Longer we keep him less chance of staying up

We have spent so much more!!

But don’t worry it’s fine we are 20th.
3 teams go down. So unless we've spent enough to believe 17th is realistic (we definitely haven't) then I'm not going to lose sleep if its 19th or 20th where we finish.

Yes, but would it be worth it? I don't think anyone could keep this squad up, but if we are going to get someone in to build us for the future and change the identity of the club that's the only way I'd be happy to swap managers. I don't think Hecky has that in his locker.

We need to start building a style like Brentford and Brighton if we want to thrive.
That requires money to invest in the squad and we clearly don’t have any. Without significant financial resources, changing the manager won’t make a difference.

Whilst i appreciate Pep and Klopp have an array of talent in their squads i also believe that players playing for them would never be allowed to put in a performance like our players did on Sunday. For me it showed a complete lack of respect to the manager and the thousands of fans who deserve better. Is Hecky to nice? You would expect a reaction on Saturday i can't see it was like a full team of Lundstram's on Sunday couldn't care less no consequences. Every one of you has that on your CV the highest ever defeat well I'm 51 and I've never seen a worse defeat. Do they care? Do they fcuk. Has there been an apology from the club to the fans?

A bit of a vague question this. It probably needed a "fuck knows" option.

Do I think another manager could do a better job than Hecky? Yes. Do I think results would improve? Not necessarily.

That said under a new manager I doubt we'd have half the injury and fitness issues that we currently have and have had under Hecky, and never experienced the likes of under any other manager. We might actually have a recognisable style of play and see movement off the ball, players completing more than two passes, strikers given a variety of service other than a cross along the ground inside the over crowded six yard box from the goal line, or panicked aimless long punts up field. We might see defenders marking opposing players rather than leaving them and running around the box like ducks in a pond when someone throws in food. We might actually see positive tactical changes or changes made preemptively, rather than reactively. We might get a manager who views the opponents having scored 0 goals after 22 shots as something to worry about, and try to stop the shots, rather than having the attitude of "hey, while it's 0 the plan is working," until they inevitably score. We might actually get to watch some football. We might see a manager not picking his out of form favourites and drop players who are poor, not make them captain and keep picking them.

Hecky is a good Championship manager at best, but he is way out of his depth in the Premier League. Be honest, if he was in charge of Newcastle do you honestly believe that he would get them a top six finish? I don't. His approach to matches is basic and tactically naive. He arguably has a plan A (though what it is isn't always clear), and never has a plan B, though he tried on Sunday but moving Anel to right back was plain baffling, much like 95% of his late and pointless subs.

Would we improve under a different manager? Yes. Because some of the above would improve. Would the results improve under a different manager? Who knows. But I would rather see us compete in matches and lose than the turgid, negative dog shit that's been served up so far this season, where the approach is negative and defeatist before a ball is even kicked. At least we might see two passes forward, or some genuine chances created. We might see defenders actually defending. Anything is better than the garage Hecky keeps serving up and defending. "We're making mistakes, but we're learning from them." Are you though Paul? Constant goals conceded from unmarked players. 3 goals conceded from crosses prior to Newcastle. That tripled to 9 by the end of the match. What learning went into it prior to the match? Opponents averaging 70%+ possession against us every match because we can't complete a single pass. What have you learned to change that, because we're not seeing it.

If he did go, and I'm not saying he should, who would replace him? I don't honestly know. Who would want to take charge of this shower of shit knowing that there will be no money to spend in January? That said, we can't keep playing this way and making the same errors week in, week out. There is no leadership at Sheffield United. None from the owner and board, none on the pitch, and none coming from the technical area during matches.

Last edited:
Whether you are in the stay or go camp, if results follow the same trajectory Hecky will either jump or be pushed. It’s a pattern football has followed for a long time.

If that decision is made, I can only see even deeper shit awaiting. No money, even less after we pay Hecky and his team off. In what way are we going to be attractive to a manager of repute? Wilder had his chance and made his choice. Warnock for all his successes as a manager has demonstrably failed every time he had a shot at the premier. Allardyce would breeze in and out with another payoff.

All the above is not to say that Hecky should be bulletproof. I question his substititions, I question his management of the players fitness, a question that has also been raised at other clubs he has managed.

He stepped in and steadied the ship after the farce of the Slav project. He deserves credit for that.

But it’s a results business, and if things don’t improve then a reckoning is on its way

Whether you are in the stay or go camp, if results follow the same trajectory Hecky will either jump or be pushed. It’s a pattern football has followed for a long time.

If that decision is made, I can only see even deeper shit awaiting. No money, even less after we pay Hecky and his team off. In what way are we going to be attractive to a manager of repute? Wilder had his chance and made his choice. Warnock for all his successes as a manager has demonstrably failed every time he had a shot at the premier. Allardyce would breeze in and out with another payoff.

All the above is not to say that Hecky should be bulletproof. I question his substititions, I question his management of the players fitness, a question that has also been raised at other clubs he has managed.

He stepped in and steadied the ship after the farce of the Slav project. He deserves credit for that.

But it’s a results business, and if things don’t improve then a reckoning is on its way
Agree with much of that,way I see it he's an average manager doing an ok job,the guy is a nice guy but no edge to him,he hasn't had a brilliant career so far and I can see that being the case well into the future,i think a change might improve things but no guarantee, there's a lot of average managers out there, and plenty of poor ones.We were spoilt under wilder everything aligned to get that back would take a miracle, but I would take a punt and try and stay up, under hecky not gonna happen imo.

You can't bridge the talent gap with tactical astuteness (I know that's not a word). This is not on the manager...you need cash, and lots of it, or its futile. Look at the back 5 we are fielding and and the option to mix that back 5 up...its the same as the champ bar Thomas and the yet-to-be-seen Trusty...we are miles off in all departments and are bang on track to perform to our budget, which is a distant 19th.

Unless we get a billionaire owner the best we can achieve is exactly where we are now.

Agree with much of that,way I see it he's an average manager doing an ok job,the guy is a nice guy but no edge to him,he hasn't had a brilliant career so far and I can see that being the case well into the future,i think a change might improve things but no guarantee, there's a lot of average managers out there, and plenty of poor ones.We were spoilt under wilder everything aligned to get that back would take a miracle, but I would take a punt and try and stay up, under hecky not gonna happen imo.
Some good points there.

I don’t think any of us know what someone is like behind the scenes. I’ve worked for people who were pretty sound until something went sideways and then they went into round of fucks mode.

But all we can go on is what we see. Hecky comes across as thoughtful and well spoken, a “nice” guy. Maybe too nice but we just don’t know. Whereas what I’ll say for wilder and warnock is that you wouldn’t want a Scarborough warning from either of them.

The wrong question IMO. I think that yes, another manager could potentially do better for us, but we have to ask a) at what cost to the club, to morale and to unity, and b) whether a manager who could do better would willingly come to the club.

So to answer the OP question, yes, I think we could do better with a different manager, hypothetically, but no, I wouldn't want to change what we've got at the moment.

Some good points there.

I don’t think any of us know what someone is like behind the scenes. I’ve worked for people who were pretty sound until something went sideways and then they went into round of fucks mode.

But all we can go on is what we see. Hecky comes across as thoughtful and well spoken, a “nice” guy. Maybe too nice but we just don’t know. Whereas what I’ll say for wilder and warnock is that you wouldn’t want a Scarborough warning from either of them.
Something else I would say, which imo needs to be considered is the football under hecky has been underwhelming to say the least,a few exceptions perhaps, I would like to go every Saturday and be entertained if possible.

Something else I would say, which imo needs to be considered is the football under hecky has been underwhelming to say the least,a few exceptions perhaps, I would like to go every Saturday and be entertained if possible.
In an ideal world absolutely. But I’d take one or two scruffy wins if it got us some momentum going

Objectively, I think the answer is yes. I don't think any other Premier League club would consider hiring Paul Heckingbottom as manager. But, realistically, would any of these different/better managers consider coming here, under the current regime? And, with the players we have currently, would "doing better" = staying up? If not, would it be worth it?

I don't see the point in replacing Hecky at the moment because we have an owner who admits he can't afford to put any more money into the club anymore.
Even Pep would struggle with no dosh. Prince Abdulah must sell up before Christmas. then the new owner/owners can either get rid of Hecky and appoint a new manager. Or keep him on He has done the best he can do under the circumstances lack of money etc. I would re-appoint Chris Wilder who took us from the middle of League One to the brink of Europe. Give him the cash to buy players that can keep us in The Premier League. It won't be easy I know. but this is my humble opinion. and only suggestions. at the moment the club is in limbo and summat must be done to turn things around. I have supported the Blades since 1966 and am a season ticket holder. on the kop. so no matter what happens I will continue to give my support to my beloved club. UP THE BLADES.

No one could do better. This mangement team is astute.

Everyone thought we'd go down- and very much looks like all 3 promoted could go through the trap door.

Hecky has proven he can get out of Championship- thats absolutely invaluable-

He should get all this season - all drubbings included

10 games next year- if not in top 6- then's the time to ask this daft question.

We have history on this line- we got rid of Warnock and replaced him with Robson- that was a mistake- surely we use that experience here?

No one could do better. This mangement team is astute.

Everyone thought we'd go down- and very much looks like all 3 promoted could go through the trap door.

Hecky has proven he can get out of Championship- thats absolutely invaluable-

He should get all this season - all drubbings included

10 games next year- if not in top 6- then's the time to ask this daft question.

We have history on this line- we got rid of Warnock and replaced him with Robson- that was a mistake- surely we use that experience here?
There is a very good chance we will have less than 5 points come Christmas. If that’s the case and he is still in charge, everyone on the outside will think Hecky is the luckiest manager going. I’m sorry but any other walk of life, if you are consistently being poor in your job and doing nothing to change your ways, you get sacked. Why should this be any different?

There is a very good chance we will have less than 5 points come Christmas. If that’s the case and he is still in charge, everyone on the outside will think Hecky is the luckiest manager going. I’m sorry but any other walk of life, if you are consistently being poor in your job and doing nothing to change your ways, you get sacked. Why should this be any different?
Because the analogy between normal worklife and Premiership football is ridiculous. The disparity between those that have and the have nots is increasing exponentially.

Anthony Gordon who was superb on Sunday- cost the same as our whole team?

Hecky and his team and THE TEAM have to be judged on the tools at their disposal. The tools they have in all fairness to him are just above middle championship.

With that in mind they have done pretty well in first 5 matches, the 6th match was a disaster and possibly was a hang over in mentality from losing in 98th and 100th minute against Spurs - which in a nutshell was a massive kick in the gonads.

The sensible approach is let him build this year- create a fighting mentality- a way of playing and judge him - 10 games in to next season.

We all talk stability- the owner needs be brave and get behind the bloke that put 180 million in to the club last year albeit with a senagalese superstar that we all know we were very very lucky to witness for 2 years.

Last edited:
If the prince does not sell up relegation is definite I am sorry to say with record low points wrong history. thats why he needs to sell before Christmas.halfway through the season.at least it will give us a chance of staying up. People with deep pockets are what we need.

I like hecky he is a good manager and decent bloke

But people are deluded if they think he is a prem manager

We were woeful at times last year and he had 3/4 of a season with MGW/BERGE/NDIAYE

I could name you 10 managers who could do a better job
Name em?

I don't see the point in replacing Hecky at the moment because we have an owner who admits he can't afford to put any more money into the club anymore.
Even Pep would struggle with no dosh. Prince Abdulah must sell up before Christmas. then the new owner/owners can either get rid of Hecky and appoint a new manager. Or keep him on He has done the best he can do under the circumstances lack of money etc. I would re-appoint Chris Wilder who took us from the middle of League One to the brink of Europe. Give him the cash to buy players that can keep us in The Premier League. It won't be easy I know. but this is my humble opinion. and only suggestions. at the moment the club is in limbo and summat must be done to turn things around. I have supported the Blades since 1966 and am a season ticket holder. on the kop. so no matter what happens I will continue to give my support to my beloved club. UP THE BLADES.
Wilder was given the biggest transfer budget ever seen in the history of this club and squandered it on poor signings. He signed 15 players in his first season and only McBurnie and Henderson started regularly, so that was 1 extra player in the starting line up as Henderson was with us during the promotion season. The following summer saw more big money spending summer in the "best transfer window we've had since I've been here" resulting in more ineffective poor signings. One of the reasons he left is because the Prince told him he wanted a Director of Football to come in and sign players due to Wilder wasting the money on utter crap. Wilder refused to work with a Director of Football and insisted that he remained in charge of signing players. The Prince was 100% correct. We ended up stuck with nearly all of those turds when we went down and couldn't get rid as they were either locked into contracts too long to negotiate a release, or no one wanted them as they'd been so poor playing for us. That set into motion all transfer windows ever since where we had no money as it was wrapped up in Wilder's wage bill.

I'm not against a return of Wilder, but I'm dead against him signing a single player. Even in League One and the Championship he signed some absolute howlers and players who never kicked a ball for us.

Different situation this time ok Wilder does not need to return to manage us. However when we have new owners. they can either stick with Hecky or replace him with whoever they want.

If the prince does not sell up relegation is definite I am sorry to say with record low points wrong history. thats why he needs to sell before Christmas.halfway through the season.at least it will give us a chance of staying up. People with deep pockets are what we need.
You say it like it's so easy. Where are these people who are enthusiastic about pissing away tens of millions of pounds going to come from?

Back
Top Bottom