Could we do better with a different manager?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Could we do better with a different manager?

• Total voters

FMBlade1

Reaction score
Over the past few days I've seen comments saying that Guardiola and Klopp wouldn't be able to save us if they were managing SUFC.

I'm not sure if that's true. I recall Crystal Palace making a similar start a few years ago, and their charismatic manager who got them up left the club, then they managed to stay up: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/24643421

At this stage I think we should stick with him for the time being, though it should never be because of blind loyalty. Personally, I think he's best played to get us back up again should we go down, but I do think we can stay up and I'm not keen on the idea that he should stay no-matter what.

All we have to do is be better than Luton, Burnley and Everton/another to stay up. I still think that's possible, and that Hecky can do it. Though if there's another manager out there that could keep us up, it is a card we can play, however only when there's enough time left in the season.

Last edited:

Over the past few days I've seen comments saying that Guardiola and Klopp wouldn't be able to save us if they were managing SUFC.

I'm not sure if that's true. I recall Crystal Palace making a similar start a few years ago, and their charismatic manager who got them up left the club, then they managed to stay up: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/24643421

At this stage I think we should stick with him for the time being, though it should never be because of blind loyalty. Personally, I think he's best played to get us back up again should we go down, but I do think we can stay up and I'm not keen on the idea that he should stay no-matter what.

All we have to do is be better than Luton, Burnley and Everton/another to stay up. I still think that's possible, and that Hecky can do it. Though if there's another manager out there that could keep us up, it is a card we can play, however only when there's enough time left in the season.
We don’t have the player resources

I answered no because quite frankly saying yes sounds to me like you think there is better out there than Hecky. Of course there is a better manager out there but one that would join us? And besides, Hecky deserves to be in charge. You look at the luck we've had this season from referring decisions or just full stop. The handball v Newcastle for their first whilst I understand by the rules of the land it stands, the ball was centimetres from going out and the second goal had Foderingham just let it go in it wouldn't have been a goal but because his hand was in a deemed in a natural position (personally I think he had enough time to remove his arm) Hecky had to save it and they score from the corner. The free kick never a free kick for the third.

We've made some individual errors which I don't think any manager would prevent. We don't need another manager, we need to stick by the one we have and it appears the players are behind him hence the news that several senior players made it known to the board that they wanted to keep him. There may be a manager out there with an impressive record that wants to come but with the players at his disposal I think very ew could do better. Prior to Newcastle no one would have said we should change the manager, one result shouldn't change that.

Yes, but would it be worth it? I don't think anyone could keep this squad up, but if we are going to get someone in to build us for the future and change the identity of the club that's the only way I'd be happy to swap managers. I don't think Hecky has that in his locker.

We need to start building a style like Brentford and Brighton if we want to thrive.

Personally I would yes, because I think Hecky is tactically very naive. However, I’m still not convinced we’d be good enough to stay up either way so we may as well stick with Hecky
I’ve never doubted his abilities as a coach, but sometimes his management decisions are baffling and/or predictable. His ability to influence games from the touchline also seem limited at times.

I know he doesn’t have the resources of other clubs, etc but the change to a back 4 with Anel at RB on a yellow against Gordon was just suicide. This was probably the first time when I really truly questioned his ability as a manager.

No.
These are Hecky's players.
Most will have come because of how he sold the club to them.
We'd be starting from scratch again.
Hecky also gets the best out of players that aren't his as well.
He gets more of a tune out of McBurnie than Wilder ever did don't forget. McAtee is here for the club and Hecky as well

At some points last season during the spell we lost to them, i bet many on here would have taken Michael Carrick as manager, they may still do for all i know but a very low percentage with Boro near bottom of Championship. One bad game and everyone is looking for negatives over the last year, yes, there are some but balance it out with the positives. Lucky fans are not chairman or we would get a new manager every month...... Wait and see what happens , but remember that grass may or may not be greener with the same seeds..

Nope - see the Slav experiment.
Proven to be a good manager, but only with the right players.
We didn't have the right players to implement his style, and we didn't have the money to change that.
Hecky deserves his chance at top flight management, and I believe if we go down he's the best man to get us up again.

Yes, for the simple reason that I can’t see anything improving under Hecky. He’s been fantastic and might get us back up….but I’d prefer to stay up. Roll the dice.

I like hecky he is a good manager and decent bloke

But people are deluded if they think he is a prem manager

We were woeful at times last year and he had 3/4 of a season with MGW/BERGE/NDIAYE

I could name you 10 managers who could do a better job

He is tactically very naive but I don’t think we stand a chance of staying up regardless cos we’re miles apart. The recruitment has been really poor overall, that’s partly down to Hecky but with a net spend of 900 grand, what did we really expect? Our recruitment team is very very outdated, how can we expect just one bloke to hop from game to game all over Europe and make a judgement on said player without being questioned by his team, 2 pairs of eyes are better than 1 etc. Serious questions need to be asked of the fitness coaching department as they look like a Sunday league side coming off the back of a night out round town against an academy side.
For me Hecky has got some big decisions to make and sort this shit out otherwise it’ll be offski’s and I’m not so sure he will grow a pair of bollocks because he looks like a substitute teacher who’s been lucky enough to take the year 6s to the catholic cup in the final week of the school year.

Of course we could. But there are about a million provisos to that question so as to make it pretty much a worthless exercise.

Who is the manager?
Do they know some of the players?
PL experience?
Pull in the transfer market for January?
Happy to work with a weird ownership set up?
Happy to work with sub standard facilities?
Happy to manage a team who are still going to lose a lot?

If it was, is there a manager within our budget who's currently out of work (so won't cost compensation) who has the experience of coming in mid season and turning things round, but also has a record of recent success at PL level? Then no, there isn't and it'd just be shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic

We were woeful at times last year and he had 3/4 of a season with MGW/BERGE/NDIAYE

If Heggy was given Newcastle's Team you think he would get relegated? If not then would that make him a 'Premier League Manager', is that what defines what one is or if not then what does define one?

Go on then...
I always remember Peps comments on Wilder, it was something along the lines of "if Chris was here (at City) he would be pushing for the title, and if I was in Sheffield I'd be battling relegation"

Not all managers are built for the Championship, small budgets and relegation scraps.

The big question for me is, how long do you go on without a win? And keep the manager?

Go on then...
I always remember Peps comments on Wilder, it was something along the lines of "if Chris was here (at City) he would be pushing for the title, and if I was in Sheffield I'd be battling relegation"

Not all managers are built for the Championship, small budgets and relegation scraps.

Wilder
Mark Robins
Alex Neil
Mckenna
Schumacher
Wagner
Farke
Big Sam

And thats just off the top of my head managers who we could probably get

If Heggy was given Newcastle's Team you think he would get relegated? If not then would that make him a 'Premier League Manager', is that what defines what one is or if not then what does define one?

Its all relative

I dont think there are many manager that wouldnt have got us promoted with the squad we had last year

Wilder
Mark Robins
Alex Neil
Mckenna
Schumacher
Wagner
Farke
Big Sam

And thats just off the top of my head managers who we could probably get
Apart from Robins, who we couldn’t just ‘probably get’, none of them are necessarily better than Hecky.

Wilder is the joker in the pack of course as anything could happen with him.

I think the answer is maybe and that's why he will get the sack if we have a much longer winless run

Apart from Robins, who we couldn’t just ‘probably get’, none of them are necessarily better than Hecky.

Wilder is the joker in the pack of course as anything could happen with him.

You give all those managers the squad we had last year go up

Personally I would yes, because I think Hecky is tactically very naive. However, I’m still not convinced we’d be good enough to stay up either way so we may as well stick with Hecky
Agreed, doing better doesn’t necessarily mean survival.

Back
Top Bottom