Corruption.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Something unprecedented has happened to football in recent years. We had the pre TV days. Fans, players and managers would moan about refs during and for a short while after the game. You could be Man United or Carlisle United, it didn't really matter: the day after the game the referee analysis was over. Irrelevant. There was no hangover. Clough's destruction of a young John Motson as he saw the new phenomenon slowly emerging springs to mind

We morphed into the mass football TV age. Increasingly the hitherto almost irrelevant analysis of referee decisions started to become a "thing". You don't just rewatch the goals and chances, you rewatch the "decisions" - the taking heads then micro analyse the officials who have one fast paced look at an incident not 997 replays from 25 angles. The refs are now actors and it's fair game to destroy them.

This has increasingly become a thing, so much so that the subjective analysis of refs at matches has been semi replaced by video subjectivity. The talking heads don't accept that either; they now destroy the the video officials.

A worrying thing latterly is how this has manifested itself online. The TV companies make videos analysing which big club has had the worst decisions over the season. Their decisions are seen as THE important ones in the season.If a none big club has something go for them against one of these clubs it's a huge crime.

The huge global fanbases of these clubs don't just leverage their criticism of officials at the matches, like everyone else, they absolutely hammer the referees online. Our criticisms are "sound and fury signifying nothing" as frankly we aren't big enough. A perceived Liverpool or Arsenal injustice trends on twitter and goes viral.

Videos,.claims of bias, comparing and contrasting the big club's decisions. It must be extremely difficult to deal with this pressure. I don't think anyone could go into a game between say Luton and Man United and be able to judge it totally impartially. You'd know if you red carded a Man United player or gave a penalty against them you're going to get battered if you aren't spot on. Institutionally it must be the same. Naturally you are going to do the necessary for an easier life. Clubs now are actually appointing ex refs to effectively pressure the current refs and the refereeing institutions.Nightmare.
Brilliant and intelligent assessment - thanks

What he is REALLY saying he pre judges what McBurnie will do during the match which in turn clouds his judgement and impartial decisions.
I don’t think there’s anything new in that. Since the dawn of time, certain players built reputations and that will always be the case.

I dount that anyone is deliberately corrupt, but the system is rotten in the sense that it is slanted to favour the "big" teams. The PGMOL or whoever assignt he referees, is clearly a lot more concerned about getting decisions right at the top of the league than they are at the bottom.

Our clown Darren England being a case in point. He's clearly not competent to be a PL referee, and has only reffed 9 matches this season. Including 3 of Burnley's, 2 of Luton's, 2 of Brentford's, 2 of Forest's.

Furthermore, he had a couple of shockers on VAR early season. He disallowed a Burnley winning goal against Forest because the ball brushed Berge's arm and he judged it to be deliberate, and he disallowed a Liverpool goal for offside because he didn't know what the original decision was. He was taken off refereeing for Liverpool, because the PGMOL was concerned that Liverpool shouldn't get wrong decisions against them. But of course he is free to carry on creating mayhem at Burnley matches because the PGMOL don't care if he gets those wrong.

Corruption against Sheffield United? You haven't had England reffing you yet. You must have at least one friend in high places.
Ridiculous decisions against Burnley on Saturday. Obvious why. Who they were playing.

This shit really needs to stop.

It's embarrassing.

Why the fuck would anybody be biased against us?
Yes I was the same, but since that wanker Clattenburg’s disparaging comments about us, I’ve changed my opinion. I do agree, that there isn’t an active, dark arts conspiracy against us in particular…But unfortunately I think it’s much worse than that and nobody tries to hide it either. The reason our protestations are is simply ignored is because they really don’t give a fuck about teams like us. Everybody is so obsessed with the top half of the table that any lowly team with a genuine grievance are seen as not part of the club and very dispensable.

Yes I was the same, but since that wanker Clattenburg’s disparaging comments about us, I’ve changed my opinion. I do agree, that there isn’t an active, dark arts conspiracy against us in particular…But unfortunately I think it’s much worse than that and nobody tries to hide it either. The reason our protestations are is simply ignored is because they really don’t give a fuck about teams like us. Everybody is so obsessed with the top half of the table that any lowly team with a genuine grievance are seen as not part of the club and very dispensable.
This
When V. A. R. broke against villa hardly no one mentioned it as appose to the Liverpool offside which sky, motd and the press wouldn't shut up about

I think all refs should do due diligence on teams and individual players. The way in which both perform generally has to be taken on board by the ref.
If, for example, a player is known to “simulate “ often, then it makes sense to keep an eye on what he is doing. Not necessarily to prejudge.
you mean like they do with Grealish ?

This exactly.
No debate about the offside decision. No mention of Bassey with his hands around Hamer’s throat. If it’s a top six team these get talked about. MOTD coverage shows a lot of bias.
Back to the referee today. He booked Norwood for kicking the ball away yet 5-10 minutes earlier their player blatantly kicked the ball away and no further action. Where’s the consistency?
The new rule that the ball boys can’t pass the ball back to the player is utter bollocks. Who dreams of these stupid rules? Surely that’s going to lead to more delays that may or may not be added on at the end of the game depending on who’s losing 🤔

Ball boys? How dare you. It’s ball assistants.

I can't buy this corruption nonsense other than some bias refs might have due to prior knowledge of what type of player is involved.

Each club gets a equal say on rules and regulations

In respect of which the backstop date for final decision is conveniently a week AFTER the end of the season
But if they were so corrupt they wouldn't be getting any whatsoever. A ten point even when reduced doesn't exactly scream corruption. Ask Everton fans if they think the league is trying to keep them up and they will laugh in your face!

What about Man City and over 100 breaches of FFP going back to 2012, and no penalty given to date? I would say that’s an obvious bias.
I think that they just haven’t got the first clue where to start with the prosecution.

It should be a Juventus/Rangers style dethroning and kick them down the leagues, but we all know that won’t happen.

The problem then becomes that if they don’t take that approach then what do they do? A small-ish punishment has a knock on to every future occurrence of FFP breach in future as teams will argue that City got away lightly for flagrant cheating so the likes of Everton/Forest will argue that their treatment is heavy handed in relative terms.

I think that they just haven’t got the first clue where to start with the prosecution.

It should be a Juventus/Rangers style dethroning and kick them down the leagues, but we all know that won’t happen.

The problem then becomes that if they don’t take that approach then what do they do? A small-ish punishment has a knock on to every future occurrence of FFP breach in future as teams will argue that City got away lightly for flagrant cheating so the likes of Everton/Forest will argue that their treatment is heavy handed in relative terms.
….and money talks. They have so much money behind them through ownership that people can be bought. Gold Rolex’s anyone ??

You watch. If they come second/third this season they'll take a plea bargain with a c40 point (just enough to keep them in the PL) reduction and then pretend it never happened. The PL, like you say, are shitting themselves as Citeh have more money and better lawyers so will take whatever is on offer, and then continue to hammer the likes of Florist, Leicester, Everton....

Because similar themes have happened this season several times. Hence why people are coming up with the idea.

I don’t think it’s come from nothing personally, several times I’ve thought it’s a bit questionable
A lot of it is probably down to unconscious bias at times.

It’s easier to apply the laws to the latter against a team of nobodies that it is against huge media personalities who you know are going to bite back at you.

It’s wrong. But it’s unconscious bias. It’s not something that comes with intent.

I’m satisfied that is offside vs we better absolutely make sure we can stand on that or we’ll have untold fury coming our way.

I remember when we finished 9th under CW and there was very little corruption. Then the season after there was loads of it with everyone out to get us. Two seasons followed of limited corruption, but this season the corruption is off the charts again.

I remember when we finished 9th under CW and there was very little corruption. Then the season after there was loads of it with everyone out to get us. Two seasons followed of limited corruption, but this season the corruption is off the charts again.
They literally unleashed a pandemic on the planet to prevent the Blades from reaching Europe.

You don’t remember Lundstrum’s big toe at Spurs despite the goal coming in the second phase then?

Or the ghost goal at Villa?

Just because we did well doesn’t mean we didn’t get a raw deal from decisions, cos we did.

You don’t remember Lundstrum’s big toe at Spurs despite the goal coming in the second phase then?

Just because we did well doesn’t mean we didn’t get a raw deal from decisions, cos we did.

The only time I felt that we got away with one that season is what West Ham disallowed goal at the lane. We laughed at the time because it was West Ham but it was such an awful decision and highlighted how awful that first incarnation of VAR was. The correct decision if the refs spots the handball in realtime but VAR didn't need to go back that far to get involved in that.

I think everyone gets these decisions as inevitably there’s a degree of human error. It means more to us as we have fewer chances so overturned goals count for more. Realistically it’s just an excuse trotted out more often when we’re shite.

Like Wolves at home?

Back
Top Bottom