consecutive away defeat record

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

cant see how , that team won only 5 games away over 18 months , we have many a mile to travel to be that bad , we have been shite since Wilson was sacked , we have to allow us time to settle down , all this relegation talk is the manic depressives getting full throttle to their negativity
Its a season for rebuilding maybe , but relegation , only a true owls fan would consider it
Any one who would even mention it is a fully fledge pig lover in my eyes, and no true fan

Actually, it was worse than that. Between winning at Brentford on 22/10/79 and winning at Wigan on 5/9/81, we only won 2 away games (at Carlisle on 16/8/80 and Millwall on 25/10/80) over almost 2 years.

It has to be said that the relegation in 80-81 really was pretty much a freak occurence and that team should have been easily a top half third tier team. I happen to think the current team should also easily be a top half third tier team, but it's not lookig good at the moment.

That said, that side did manage to score 65 goals and must be just about he only side in history to have ever been relegated with a positive goal difference.

Yet another of those 'if anyone can do it The Blades can' stats!!!!

the 80-81 side may have been the worst of all but the following season SUFC won THE ONLY TROPHY THEY HAVE EVER WON IN MY LIFETIME!!!! So that makes the 81-82 team THE BEST SUFC OF ALL TIME!!!!

best team we ever had was woodward reece currie that won promotion , and led the league after 10 games, by a million miles ,

well I have just watched manchester united 0 chelsea 0 and to be honest , we suddenly look a lot better , it was utter shit, we expect crap with our level of players, just shows you can spend nearly a billion quid over last 5 years between them and they were both cack

I got so bored watching that game that I ended up switching over to watch a documentary about dinosaurs. Half expected to see Dave Bassett pop up as a pundit.

I thought a bit more about this last night. Despite the memories of heavy defeats to crap teams (Newport being the one everyone remembers), we lost an amazing 16 of our 20 defeats in 80-81 by only one goal. Our only greater than 1 goal defeats were at Swindon (2-5), Newport (0-4), Oxford (0-2) and Charlton (0-2).

Conversley, of our 14 wins, 11 were by more than one goal. Our only one goal wins were at home to Oxford (1-0), Portsmouth (1-0) and Charlton (3-2).

That obviously explains the positive goal difference, but does also show that the gap between success and failure that season was very narrow and that, with a bit more mental fortitude, we would have been challenging for promotion rather than being relegated.

So, it seems this lot are worse than the 80-81 lot after all :-(

Newport weren't a bad side in those days, Swindon on the other hand.........

Newport weren't a bad side in those days, Swindon on the other hand.........

Yes, they got to the Cup Winners Cup quarter finals that season and lost narrowly to crack East German side Carl Zeiss Jena (eastern bloc sides were always "crack" in those days).

The Swindon game was Derek Richardson's last league appearance. Apparently, the then first choice goalie Steve Conroy had a falling out with Peters and just not turned up to training one day. As a result, he was dropped and Richardson had his swan song. He was appalling that day and we were 5-0 down about half way through the second half before Kenworthy and Hatton got a couple of goals to make the score a little more respectable.

Actually, it was worse than that. Between winning at Brentford on 22/10/79 and winning at Wigan on 5/9/81, we only won 2 away games (at Carlisle on 16/8/80 and Millwall on 25/10/80) over almost 2 years.

It has to be said that the relegation in 80-81 really was pretty much a freak occurence and that team should have been easily a top half third tier team. I happen to think the current team should also easily be a top half third tier team, but it's not lookig good at the moment.

Our away form was a big problem for several seasons during that period. From the start of the 1975-6 season to the end of the 1980-1 season we won just 19 away league games. An average of 3 (and a tiny bit) per season. No wonder we suffered three relegations during that time.

I don't see much panic. I just see an interesting discussion on the comparisons or otherwise of two sides from different times in our history..

The 1980-1 side may have had a dismal away record, but it's home record was better than last season's side.

Our away record over the last two seasons has been very good, but over the last few months it has been poor. If the play off semi final is included, we have lost 5 out of our last 6 away matches (drawing the other one), scored just one goal and conceded 12. No reason to press the panic button yet, but if we get similar results over the next 6 games I think a bit of concern is justified.

But if it gets worse, then gets better, is the better actually going to be better than it is now Snr Reverse Nostradamus?

I think the modern day equivalents are on their way

what , based on 4 games
wednesday lost 7 on the trot last season , still stayed up, we are without doubt the most pessimistic down beat fans in football, we lost at brentford , blow me , we did last year too as did most clubs

we must learn that other clubs can win football matches, and we can lose occasionally without it meaning relegation must surely follow

only time will tell, it may get worse before it gets better , but it will get better

Well, it's certainly got worse and unfortunately there's no sign at all of it getting even slightly better.

As for consecutive away defeats, if you count the away leg of the play off against Yeovil we're up to 7.

Back
Top Bottom