consecutive away defeat record

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Jehovah

Reaction score
What is it? If you include last season and the play off defeat v Yeovil that's about 6 on the spin isnt it?

What is it? If you include last season and the play off defeat v Yeovil that's about 6 on the spin isnt it?
Don't know if it's the record but in the relegation season of 75-76, we lost 9 League away games in a row.

I think we lost seven in a row when we went down from the Championship a few years back.

you obviously werent around when we plummeted under martin peters

you think its low now , should try going to Altrincham and losing 3-0
or Newport and losing 4-0

Ah but Man Utd lost by five that season too so just goes to show etc etc etc

I am confident that if no new faces come in, and we continue to sell our better players, you will be seeing defeats on a par with the Newport debacle before the season is out.

How many did Wilson have? Don't think we lost two on bounce at all (home or away) until Morgan came in?!?! Correct me if I'm wrong

Newport , still sends a shiver down my spine every time I hear that kips name. Still be easier to get to from here than Sheffield if we draw them in the cup , was it Aldridge ? that ran amok that day what a waste of a day in my { then } young life .

Looking through the record books, it seems we lost 12 consecutive away matches in the 1898-9 season. But we still avoided relegation and won the FA Cup.

we are not in the same league of crapiness we fell to in 79, we werent just bad at finishing we were clueless in defence , we have our good bits just now , but do need some rejigging up front

we are not in the same league of crapiness we fell to in 79, we werent just bad at finishing we were clueless in defence , we have our good bits just now , but do need some rejigging up front

Oh well that's alright then. And to think I was worrying that we don't have any decent players any more because we've sold them all and replaced them with shite.

I wasn't even born in 1979 so I couldn't give two shits how bad we were then. What concerns me is that we are absolutely wank now and are showing no signs of ambition, let alone actual tangible inprovement.

Just try, for once, to look at us and how we are now without comparing it to some obscure situation from the past that inexplicably makes everything seem alright to you. We have the worst team we have had in my life time and it looks like it's getting worse, not better. Taking solace in the fact that we have been in a lower division than this at some point in the past is frankly fucking stupid.

oh no we werent , I was there every game we were dreadful in every department, we are still good defensively , we are far better than in 79

We're averaging nearly 2 goals conceded each game, the defence isn't that good.

Even in 1979 we were better than today's shower of shite trust me.

I think the worst United team ever was the back end of 79-80 and the 80-81 one that ultimately saw us relegated to Division 4. Mind you, this lot are running them close.

I think the worst United team ever was the back end of 79-80 and the 80-81 one that ultimately saw us relegated to Division 4. Mind you, this lot are running them close.

Not sure about that. I think the side of 1980-81 may have had more ability than this one. However, it had little stomach for a fight, seemed mentally weak and subsided again and again at moments of pressure. My memory may have embellished things over time, but I seem to remember that we had a habit of turning winning positions into draws or even defeats, and also lost games where we should have hung on for a draw.

That said, that side did manage to score 65 goals and must be just about he only side in history to have ever been relegated with a positive goal difference.

well I have just watched manchester united 0 chelsea 0 and to be honest , we suddenly look a lot better , it was utter shit, we expect crap with our level of players, just shows you can spend nearly a billion quid over last 5 years between them and they were both cack

Not sure about that. I think the side of 1980-81 may have had more ability than this one. However, it had little stomach for a fight, seemed mentally weak and subsided again and again at moments of pressure. My memory may have embellished things over time, but I seem to remember that we had a habit of turning winning positions into draws or even defeats, and also lost games where we should have hung on for a draw.

That said, that side did manage to score 65 goals and must be just about he only side in history to have ever been relegated with a positive goal difference.

You may well be right - which is a depressing thought. We did have some players who were certainly good enough to play at least at the top half of the 3rd tier - Kenworthy, MacPhail, Trusson, Ryan and Hatton spring to mind

As for caving in, there were a few games like that:

29/11/80 A Walsall D4-4, we were 2-0 and then 3-1 up, Walsall got back to 3-3, but Hatton scored what looked like the winner in injury time. Walsall kicked off and promptly walked the ball into our goal!

10/1/81: A Portsmouth: L0-1 Ryan missed a pen that would have given us a point.

17/1/81: H Gillingham L0-1: they still let Ryan take it when we got a pen early the following week. He missed and Gillingham got a winner without 10 mins to go.

21/2/81: A Rotherham L1-2 we played really well against eventual champions Rotherham, taking an early lead through Trusson, we hung on until about 10 mins from the end when Rotherham equalised; Ronnie Moore then got a last minute winner.

28/2/81 H Huddersfield D2-2. We were 2-0 up with 5 mins to go. Huddersfield get a corner and Kindon scores. Right on the 90, another corner to Huddersfield and the same thing happens.

28/3/81 H Millwall L2-3 At HT we are 2-0 up and coasting. 20 minutes into the second half, we are 2-3 down.

18/4/81 A Brentford D1-1 we look to be heading for a hard fought 1-0 win with a couple of minutes left, when who should pop up and equalise but Bob Booker.

2/5/81 H Walsall L0-1 Givens and so on.

we started that season so well , won 3-0 at carlisle and won our first few home games , but just gave up, ended up with 40 points , but only lost 5 at home , but were hopeless away

we started that season so well , won 3-0 at carlisle and won our first few home games , but just gave up, ended up with 40 points , but only lost 5 at home , but were hopeless away

The fact that our away record was so poor and yet our home record quite good again suggests to me that the side lacked mental fortitude rather than ability.

You may well be right - which is a depressing thought. We did have some players who were certainly good enough to play at least at the top half of the 3rd tier - Kenworthy, MacPhail, Trusson, Ryan and Hatton spring to mind

As for caving in, there were a few games like that:

29/11/80 A Walsall D4-4, we were 2-0 and then 3-1 up, Walsall got back to 3-3, but Hatton scored what looked like the winner in injury time. Walsall kicked off and promptly walked the ball into our goal!

10/1/81: A Portsmouth: L0-1 Ryan missed a pen that would have given us a point.

17/1/81: H Gillingham L0-1: they still let Ryan take it when we got a pen early the following week. He missed and Gillingham got a winner without 10 mins to go.

21/2/81: A Rotherham L1-2 we played really well against eventual champions Rotherham, taking an early lead through Trusson, we hung on until about 10 mins from the end when Rotherham equalised; Ronnie Moore then got a last minute winner.

28/2/81 H Huddersfield D2-2. We were 2-0 up with 5 mins to go. Huddersfield get a corner and Kindon scores. Right on the 90, another corner to Huddersfield and the same thing happens.

28/3/81 H Millwall L2-3 At HT we are 2-0 up and coasting. 20 minutes into the second half, we are 2-3 down.

18/4/81 A Brentford D1-1 we look to be heading for a hard fought 1-0 win with a couple of minutes left, when who should pop up and equalise but Bob Booker.

2/5/81 H Walsall L0-1 Givens and so on.
Jesus Daz , the only game I missed from that pile of manure was pompey away , even managed to get slung out of the walsall away game .

The fact that our away record was so poor and yet our home record quite good again suggests to me that the side lacked mental fortitude rather than ability.

I thought a bit more about this last night. Despite the memories of heavy defeats to crap teams (Newport being the one everyone remembers), we lost an amazing 16 of our 20 defeats in 80-81 by only one goal. Our only greater than 1 goal defeats were at Swindon (2-5), Newport (0-4), Oxford (0-2) and Charlton (0-2).

Conversley, of our 14 wins, 11 were by more than one goal. Our only one goal wins were at home to Oxford (1-0), Portsmouth (1-0) and Charlton (3-2).

That obviously explains the positive goal difference, but does also show that the gap between success and failure that season was very narrow and that, with a bit more mental fortitude, we would have been challenging for promotion rather than being relegated.

So, it seems this lot are worse than the 80-81 lot after all :-(

cant see how , that team won only 5 games away over 18 months , we have many a mile to travel to be that bad , we have been shite since Wilson was sacked , we have to allow us time to settle down , all this relegation talk is the manic depressives getting full throttle to their negativity
Its a season for rebuilding maybe , but relegation , only a true owls fan would consider it
Any one who would even mention it is a fully fledge pig lover in my eyes, and no true fan

Back
Top Bottom