Concession Ticket Checks

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Foxy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

It has recently become evident that the club may have fans who are entering the ground fraudulently on concession tickets, thus watching games at an unfairly reduced rate. The club offers reasonable concession prices to various areas of our support and expect this to be respected.

As such, SUFC are reintroducing concession checks at the turnstiles from Saturday’s home FA Cup 2nd round fixture against Port Vale.

This will be a permanent initiative running at every home fixture and fans are reminded to bring the required concessionary proof, i.e proof of age, NUS card stating you are in full time education or DLA documentation.

Specific concession turnstiles are also in operation on the John Street and Kop stands. Turnstile numbers 28-31 and 40-43 on John Street and 49/50, 56/57 and 62-65 on the Kop. These are clearly marked with signage above. Please ensure if you are a concession
you enter via the correct turnstile. Adults accompanying concessions can also access the ground via these turnstiles.

Concession turnstiles are not in operation in other stands due to the smaller blocks of turnstiles however stewards will still be monitoring all turnstiles in these areas. Any supporter unable to provide the necessary evidence to confirm their concessionary status will be ejected from the stadium.

The club do not wish to inconvenience supporters and your co-operation is appreciated. To ensure speedy access to the stadium please have any required proof to hand for the stewards to validate.
View this article on the Main Site

Hmm. I suppose it's a good job I've seen this or my dear old Dad would be "ejected from the stadium". I think that would upset him.

Seems reasonable, hopefully they will also cut down on all the other drains on resources in the senior management.

This is going to cut our attendance by half, I can see.

All the tight fuckers that don't want to pay the proper price won't turn up if they can't get in on a pensioner's or child's ticket, eh?

Good. I pay full adult price for my season ticket. I pay adult price for any cup tickets too. So why should all those others who aren't entitled to a concession ticket get in on the cheap? They should pay the proper price. What's wrong with that?

All the tight fuckers that don't want to pay the proper price won't turn up if they can't get in on a pensioner's or child's ticket, eh?

Good. I pay full adult price for my season ticket. I pay adult price for any cup tickets too. So why should all those others who aren't entitled to a concession ticket get in on the cheap? They should pay the proper price. What's wrong with that?
Did anybody say there was anything wrong?

I also don't like to hear or see fellow Blades getting " Yoof" tickets for away games when they are clearly 20 odd years old.
If you can afford to travel away, get shitfaced on ale then you can afford full price tkts.

I also don't like to hear or see fellow Blades getting " Yoof" tickets for away games when they are clearly 20 odd years old.
If you can afford to travel away, get shitfaced on ale then you can afford full price tkts.

I have done this once, away at reading in 1996.

I'm not proud of it, and the turnstile operator looked at me with a smirk on his face as 19yo me, clearly nowhere near U16' and smelling like a brewery presented my concession ticket.

Never done it since.

so long as this doesnt impinge on my ability to borrow a season ticket. if my family member cant make the game, i dont see its unreasonable that i borrow it. they've still paid and im a fan contributing to noise and matchday 'food'.

What he said. If you borrow a concession ticket, pay to upgrade it to an adult if needs be. It's four quid, or thereabouts. That's all. Like Northyorksblade says, it comes down to honesty.

The stewards are supposed to notice the light change on the turnstile exit for kids and seniors, personally I wouldn't risk borrowing my Dad's ticket if I didn't have my own, it looks too easy to get caught. or am I the only one who's noticed?

The stewards are supposed to notice the light change on the turnstile exit for kids and seniors, personally I wouldn't risk borrowing my Dad's ticket if I didn't have my own, it looks too easy to get caught. or am I the only one who's noticed?

I thought exactly that, I've seen the yellow light go on many times when it's obviously not a concession and the idiot stewards just stand there gawping.

On the South Stand I doubt they even notice, most seem too preoccupied chatting to each other or searching bags the size of a handkerchief for heaven knows what.

About time this happened.

Much easier for stewards to monitor one concession turnstyle. I don't blame them for not dealing with cheats who come through. This to me seems like a SUFC job to crack down on not some minimum wage kid who is there for safety reasons I thougyt rather than protecting/monitoring SUFC income?

Maybe the club and football in general needs to ask itself why people are doing this kind of thing in the volumes that they are.

Maybe the club and football in general needs to ask itself why people are doing this kind of thing in the volumes that they are.
Because a lot of people are dishonest?
Don't give me the bollocks that people do it because of exorbitant ticket prices.

Because a lot of people are dishonest?
Don't give me the bollocks that people do it because of exorbitant ticket prices.

I think they do. SUFC wanting to charge £17 for a concessions ticket on the kop for a Tuesday night League One game is a bit 'overpriced' if you ask me - especially when the game was a boring 0-0. People probably try to get in on cheaper tickets at times because the ticket price often doesn't warrant the entertainment value.

Because it's a sad fact of human nature that when people can cheat with a minimum chance of being caught, a lot of people will cheat. Cf the recent discussion we had here about tax fraud.

I'm not saying that by reducing prices that this problem will go away. But i'm sure it would be reduced. There will always be people looking for ways to get a cheaper ticket regardless.

Charging £18 for a November night game against Crewe aint' going to help the situation.

Make the prices more reasonable and do the ticket checks in addition.

It's not that United are greedy with ticket prices, football in general is overpriced and we've done fairly well in terms of pricing.

I'd hazard a guess that a fair proportion of the people doing it, would continue to do it, even with lower adult prices.

People abusing the system, would probably, long term cause those who don't to have to pay more.

ST loaning is accepted by the club, but if I'm on holiday and an adult wants a loan, then I upgrade my concession ST to an adult one. Same if our Jack can't make a game, I pay the difference and upgrade to an adult ticket for my daughter. It all boils down to if you're honest or not.

yeh i totally agree with that, but the one im borrowing is genuinely an adult ticket.

i do think United is expensive for what it is but not comparatively. Football is a lot for what it is and at least United have kept their prices not just low compared to others, but kept them consistent.

Back
Top Bottom