Chris Wilder's position as Sheffield United boss

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The problem with paying peak/premium value for players, which apart from Bogle we have is they need to be almost perfect signings to even justify the fee never mind provide future value.

As it stands now none of non Bogle signings have added value to the fee we've paid and Id say they woukd be unlikely to return what we paid for them. Doesn't make them bad players, just that it's unlikely to have big resale profit value

That's quite a "glass half empty " assessment imho; I think that Ramsdale, McBurnie, Lowe, Burke and Brewster will prove to be good acquisitions over the next 18 months or so but, regrettably, have been ineffective this year.
I think it's likely that we could recoup the majority, if not more, of the outlay on any of them given that McCabe isn't in charge of the selling any more and the days of BOGOF are over.
Berge is most likely to go with at least two PL Clubs showing interest and I cannot imagine United even listening to offers unless they start at £40m, as we are not needing to sell.
UTB & FTP

He was asked to do something a bit different to what he had done previously. He took time to adapt. He was doing. Then he got injured.
I seem to recall that Tufty said that Berge was the (eventual) replacement for Norwood in the CDM role ..... and he's rarely had a chance to play there so far.

UTB & FTP

I think Fulham & Villa are two that immediately come to mind ....

UTB & FTP
Fulhams last accounts to year ending June 19 show a profit of £21.6m. Villa are a bit of a basket case of a club but if you are wanting us to sell the ground to subsidise a £196m negative P&L balance sheet then so be it. We may disagree. So basically, one club.

Leonard ~ made money on
Evans ~ made money on
James Wilson ~ came on a free
Holmes ~ didn’t work out.

So all in all not bad business, are you clutching at straws a little?
Correct: Evans signed to replace injured Coutts sold for a profit & upgraded by Norwood
Holmes didn’t work out, although it could be argued that Duffy’s performances with competition for his place were one of the reasons
Leonard, sold for a profit, couldn’t force himself in the team ahead of Norwood. The progress of the team left him behind
Wilson loan signing?didn’t work out but probably inspired Sharp to up his game even more

Fulhams last accounts to year ending June 19 show a profit of £21.6m. Villa are a bit of a basket case of a club but if you are wanting us to sell the ground to subsidise a £196m negative P&L balance sheet then so be it. We may disagree. So basically, one club.
Wasn’t that the end of the season when Fulham were in the PL? I’m still surprised they made a profit tbf, they brought in a lot of players.

That's quite a "glass half empty " assessment imho; I think that Ramsdale, McBurnie, Lowe, Burke and Brewster will prove to be good acquisitions over the next 18 months or so but, regrettably, have been ineffective this year.
I think it's likely that we could recoup the majority, if not more, of the outlay on any of them given that McCabe isn't in charge of the selling any more and the days of BOGOF are over.
Berge is most likely to go with at least two PL Clubs showing interest and I cannot imagine United even listening to offers unless they start at £40m, as we are not needing to sell.
UTB & FTP
no chance of getting 40m for berge if we get offered 25m we will take it

I've got a real suspicion that if CW were to leave, either sacked or resign, then PA would go for a "name" replacement.

I can't explain my exact reasoning for that statement but there's been various rumours of PA wanting a "marquee" signing since he got full control and I can't help think that would be the route he would go down for our replacement manager.

Whilst in the right circumstances I've no issue with this per se next season is going to be crucial in how we move forward as a club IMO.

If CW leaves then we just have to get his replacement right or we face the same situation we found ourselves in the last time we were relegated from the PL.

With that in mind I really don't want Lampard, Terry etc just because of their name.
Sir Chris to PA. Something he can never be.

UTB & FTP
If we want to buy we'll need to sell

Is that true though?

Fulham took a different approach.

They signed a lot of foreign loan players, for nowhere near the 52m in fees we spent on Rammers, Bogle, Lowe, Brewster.

But on much higher wages.

When the counting is done they may well have stayed up.
They may well not? They’ve paid good money for 7 (Seven) players that they don’t even frigging own! They’re loan are by far their best players as well! Not forgetting they’ve also provided a good platform for other clubs to nab the lot of them also, should they stay up? Could you imagine the uproar on here if we signed 7 loan players? “No ambition. Set of tight twats“. Etc, etc.

UTB & FTP

Ramsdale, after 2520 minutes of football is now looking like he belongs at this level. If he keeps on at his current level next season, and we don’t go up, he’ll be off.

Unless we start playing McBurnie in his best position & providing chances for him, we may as well have me playing upfront next season. If we’re not careful, he’ll just repeat this season’s feats next season. Neither flesh nor fish style of centre forward play.

Lowe isn’t currently and won’t ever be the desired standard for my version of Sheffield United. He’s 24 in 2 months time, it’s not like he’s 18. RND is nearly 22 and is the answer. I’d go all out at try and sell him back to Derby, for Buchanananananananan.

Burke is just a poor footballer, who is very quick. He has no more than a basic level of technical ability, nor does he have a footballing brain. He is very fast and that has covered up his inadequacies so far in his career. We bought CR for £7.5m (subject to local journo clarification) and swapped him for Burke. I can’t honestly see another team paying a transfer fee for Burke. Criminal.

I can’t see anything in Brewster that resembles a top level footballer, and if we’re not careful he’ll block Hackford’s progression. For reference, his team mates in the u17 World Cup were Sancho, Foden, Hudson-Odoi and Smith-Rowe.

They may well not? They’ve paid good money for 7 (Seven) players that they don’t even frigging own! They’re loan are by far their best players as well! Not forgetting they’ve also provided a good platform for other clubs to nab the lot of them also, should they stay up? Could you imagine the uproar on here if we signed 7 loan players? “No ambition. Set of tight twats“. Etc, etc.
Last time I went to Fulham they had a neutrals stand.

I don't see them being the sort to be up in arms🤣

The thought of having what may equate to a bunch of mercenaries on a one year stopover might not sit well. It may be different for Fulham, they may make some permanent in which case they would argue it is a decent try as you buy approach. But although they are a small club, they do have the advantage for foreign players to being in London and a decent part of London at that. Oh and being owned by a Billionaire too!

I do like the idea of having an identity but it is just so cut throat at this level. Until you are really established it does feel as if going hand to mouth, doing anything to finish 17th is an acceptable strategy.

To me, with the squad we have it feels like we are either a year behind or in the wrong division.

Fast forward a year or two and you can absolutely see Bogle and Norrington-Davies being United's first choice wingbacks and being very strong attacking players.

We've almost entered the David Moyes period at Man U. You look at Stevens and Basham for example and wonder how much more you can get out of them. Probably more out of Bash then Stevens given his performance level and fitness.

The cycle is ending for a few of these players. Challenge now is how to manage the transition whilst mounting a promotion campaign.

Dont understand CW after the Southampton game where he's saying to the press we havent much options on the bench? We had four strikers on their plus Osborn.

If there is any truth in this and it becomes a reality the owners will start a shit storm of epic proportions. Imagine doing this and we have an awful start to next season. There won’t be any grace whatsoever from the 90% of Blades who want the manager to remain in charge.
We won’t sit by like they have across the city while the owner completely fucks us up. He needs to get sat round the table ASAP sort out any differences and plan for next season.

Yeah, we certainly didn’t just sit by while McCabe made shit decision after shit decision, did we? And that time we* did make a loud and vocal protest in the car park over the appointment of Danny Wilson, it prevented his taking over as manager, didn’t it?

Oh wait, no, it didn’t. Because we’re fans and our opinion means sweet FA to the owners, whomever they may be.

* I say ‘we’, I mean ‘some of our fanbase

Dont understand CW after the Southampton game where he's saying to the press we havent much options on the bench? We had four strikers on their plus Osborn.

But it was like visiting Prisoner Cell Block H and having four options for a fuck.

None of them very palatable..................

Romantic notions are what makes this club fail

Yes, football support is all about facts, and objective points.

Dreams, hopes and sentiment have no place to play in the life of a football supporter.

In fact when your team turns crap, it would make more sense to follow another club.
Why don't you try watching Man City as they play decent football and having happily moved stadiums, they don't seem overburdened with 'romantic notions'.

Guff from Nixon this morning, or any truth?

View attachment 107350
Sounds rubbish to me.

Wilder could easily have been sacked in November/December time and a new man brought in to turn things around and keep us in the Premier League.

The financial gain from staying in the top flight is far greater than the payment Chris would receive, so if this is strategically financial move by the Prince, it wouldn't be a very good one!

Last time I went to Fulham they had a neutrals stand.

I don't see them being the sort to be up in arms🤣

The thought of having what may equate to a bunch of mercenaries on a one year stopover might not sit well. It may be different for Fulham, they may make some permanent in which case they would argue it is a decent try as you buy approach. But although they are a small club, they do have the advantage for foreign players to being in London and a decent part of London at that. Oh and being owned by a Billionaire too!

I do like the idea of having an identity but it is just so cut throat at this level. Until you are really established it does feel as if going hand to mouth, doing anything to finish 17th is an acceptable strategy.

To me, with the squad we have it feels like we are either a year behind or in the wrong division.

Fast forward a year or two and you can absolutely see Bogle and Norrington-Davies being United's first choice wingbacks and being very strong attacking players.

We've almost entered the David Moyes period at Man U. You look at Stevens and Basham for example and wonder how much more you can get out of them. Probably more out of Bash then Stevens given his performance level and fitness.

The cycle is ending for a few of these players. Challenge now is how to manage the transition whilst mounting a promotion campaign.
I said the uproar on here, not by the Hedgefunders, if we signed 7 on loan players! Agreed on Bogle and RND because for me Burnley or one of the promoted teams take George at £18/20m. For me Enda, at 31 has to be given a minimum of one more season, baring in mind he can’t have been far off for player of the season the last time we played in the championship? As for Basham, he’s an absolute machine. I see him here for a good 2 more seasons yet. Berge will be in a bidding war, unless there’s a relegation clause inserted that we don’t know about? I’m expecting either a season loan if clubs still think McCabes are in charge, or a straight £40m deal to Villa/Arsenal/Spurs/Napoli. We’ll also hopefully be cute in a way that all our signings are done early before releasing said players.

Yeah, we certainly didn’t just sit by while McCabe made shit decision after shit decision, did we? And that time we* did make a loud and vocal protest in the car park over the appointment of Danny Wilson, it prevented his taking over as manager, didn’t it?

Oh wait, no, it didn’t. Because we’re fans and our opinion means sweet FA to the owners, whomever they may be.

* I say ‘we’, I mean ‘some of our fanbase
If the Prince sacked Wilder tomorrow lots of fans would be unhappy but in reality fuck all would really happen.

If the Prince sacked Wilder tomorrow lots of fans would be unhappy but in reality fuck all would really happen.
Exactly. Social media would be full of people making grand statements but that would be about the full extent of it.

Yes, I agree that Wilder does need more help and support (I stated as much a few months ago when he looked beaten). Having followed Wilder since his Halifax days (and Knill tbh) I always found even from his Halifax days that Wilder often gets more out of the defensive players than the creative players. Of course this makes sense given he was a defender along with Knill. I think he certainly needs a couple of coaches who can get the best out of the forward players and as you say perhaps a DoF. If I were you I would be going all out for someone like Rafa Benitez for the DoF role; a wealth of experience, contacts throughout the world and a proven track record of finding gems. You would also imagine that he will be winding down his career over the next few years and still lives locally in the Merseyside area. On top of that he is tactically astute.

I think to be a little fair to Wilder, everything that could have gone wrong over the past 12 months has gone wrong. Players badly dropping off in form, key injuries and perhaps a number of players who were punching above their natural level now playing to their level again. No doubt Wilder also has to take some of the flak too, I personally feel he lost his own focus for 12 games or so whilst he sulked which is unforgiveable really.
Can get Rafa Benitez 20/1 on next manager odds I’ve just seen on Twitter

Can get Rafa Benitez 20/1 on next manager odds I’ve just seen on Twitter

I

I do like Rafa as a manager, feel sorry for him having his hands tied at Newcastle.... he would be on TOP TOP wages tho, goodness knows how much that Chinese club were paying him
Interesting odds. I think Rafa is very much underrated by many. I agree he has been dealt some pretty bad hands to work with in the past. When he was at Liverpool they did not have pot to piss in and was always having to sell good players to buy others. The Chelsea period he was treated pretty badly and even at Real Madrid he was harshly sacked and then you have Newcastle where he again as you say had his hands tied. No doubt at the right club he could have/and still possibly could achieve some good things. I think he would be a perfect DoF for you guys. Yes his wages may thwart that but you never know he may just fancy a new role and the locality could swing it.

Back
Top Bottom