Pre-Season 17/18 Chesterfield v. Sheffield United - 18/07/17

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

that statement is going to haunt me tonight! But jeez, Sharp and Clarke were hopeless first half. We had loads
of the ball but final third we were sooo slow! trying to pass it into the net at snails pace, but a wins a win I guess. A lack of pace upfront, is a worry for this season though.

Brooks scared the Chezzie players to death as soon as he came on. The lad has got a real presence along with quality to grace the top teams, he wants the ball all the time and will no doubt play in the Prem in the next year or so.

Put it this way and this is no way trying to bring the lad down but Brooks is way in front of DCL imo and he's at Everton, football really does baffle me sometimes.

Our subs won us the game and their sub lost it them with a shocking miss from an open net in what was a poor game from our prospective but a runout is a runout I suppose.

Thought we were far from our best tonight. Too much sidewards football with zero end product. Thought Fleck had the worst game I've seen him have in a united shirt, 2 up top did nothing first half. However thought Bash had a great first half, and was impressed with enda Stevens, and of cause Brooks

How do you know that no one is shooting? Are you at the non shooting match or just guessing because our score is nil that there is a lack of shooting?
I was there yes. First half we had all the ballnbut every time we got the ball into dangerous positions we passed it back to the defence don't think we had a shot on target. 2nd half brooks came on and changed the game

In other news, I think Basham, Stevens and Coutts were excellent, and Stearman looked decent. Everyone else were "ok" - i'm hoping the Malaga trip is to blame for our lack of sharpness up top.

First proper preseason game - I wouldn't read anything into tonight's performances.

Freeman and Fleck fitness levels need improving which is why I imagine they, among others are getting 90 mins. Be interesting to see if they do on Friday again.

Thought Fleck was fine, performance wise until 65 mins.

If Stevens starts again on Friday the shirt is his to lose.

First half we had all the ballnbut every time we got the ball into dangerous positions

Every time anyone was within 40 yards of the goal line, a decent proportion whinged at them to shoot, regardless of whether or not they had the ball under control, were facing the right way or could even see the goal through the four defenders stood on top of them :)

I didn't go but the reported lack of fitness of Freeman is concerning. He looked like he was struggling before Stockbridge and Malaga and now this report tends to show he is behind in fitness level. Not that I want to knock the lad or his agent but I feel he has come back with a billy big bollocks attitude and he needs to get down to some serious work.

It's pre-season and away from home against a Chesterfield side that would be up for it, wanting to prove a point against their local rivals, I think its a good run out and although some apparently haven't performed, that's totally to be expected. The one thing we all know is that we lack pace up front. Maybe Brooks can provide that edge but in my view a Steve Kabba type of the bench for that last 20 minutes or so is badly needed. Lavery's a tidy player and he will no doubt improve with opportunities but nor does he have particular pace, and Sharp, Hanson and Leon certainly don't.t That leaves Ched and he seems to be a different type of player to what he was. More of a target man now with greater strength but also less pace. This needs addressing in my view, whether its a forward or a winger.

Moore 7
Freeman 4
Stearman 7
Basham 7
Oconnell 7
Stevens 7
Carruthers 4
Coutts 7
Fleck 5
Sharp 3
Clarke 3

subs

Wright 6
Lafferty 6
Lavery 7
Brooks 9
Thomas 7

Pint of Fox IPA in the Beer parlour 7

What was up with Freeman?

Brooks goal along with other two

I wish Sky would piss off with "Brooks loan move was blocked when there was interest from the Premier League". It's not the first time I've heard that said either. I don't believe we recalled him just to see what offers we'd get. I know some feel that's the case but I just think Wilder wants to see if Brooks can make a more immediate impact than what he thought before the Toulan competition.

Nothing major just an off night ,he and Fleck gave a lot of ball away ,just rusty ,they will be fine. Carruthers does concern me ,I prefer Duffy anyday,

Obvious question! What was up with Samir? He looked decent last night, maybe just rusty again?

I didn't go but the reported lack of fitness of Freeman is concerning. He looked like he was struggling before Stockbridge and Malaga and now this report tends to show he is behind in fitness level. Not that I want to knock the lad or his agent but I feel he has come back with a billy big bollocks attitude and he needs to get down to some serious work

The lazy bleeder only did 90 mins in Malaga and 90 mins today.

You can see he thinks he's better than us, the way he signed a three year deal with the pen at a jaunty angle.

The lazy bleeder only did 90 mins in Malaga and 90 mins today.

You can see he thinks he's better than us, the way he signed a three year deal with the pen at a jaunty angle.

Oooh Get you! Keep your hair on you'll be getting an infraction. Point taken as I wasn't there and reliant on reports and photos. We'll see. Second season syndrome possibly beckons. I haven't forgotten his attitude when we first tried to sign him. Leopards and spots Foxy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0592299

Latest from our future England manager! ;)

The usual chirpy yet grounded analysis from Wilder. Everything he says about Brooks is right. Keep working, listen to the senior pro's, don't take his foot off the pedal for a minute, all good, sensible mentoring from the Gaffer.....think Chris is putting a lot of this responsibility on the shoulders of Jake, JOC, Stearman, Billy etc, and if that doesn't work then Wilder will have a word with the lad. I doubt it'll be needed, but always good to make sure that a talented young 'un doesn't fuck things up from having a swollen ego. Good to know that all things being equal Brooks will be part of the first team set-up this season.........

Generally seems in good heart and pleased with the attitude of his players....roll on this season! UTMB!

Back
Top Bottom