Centre Half

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ideally I'd like... someone who we know can perform in this division. However I think you're looking at 4-6mill for one of those.

Therefore I'd like 'someone' like the kid from Southampton and maybe a risk e.g. On someone like Sonny Bradley.

Oh and Jags :)

That's not the entirety of what you wrote though.

Just so I'm clear, do you think we don't need to recruit any players?

Do you agree with the concept that, in general, clubs in the higher leagues are better than clubs in the lower leagues?

No one has equated our goal tally, either positively or negatively, with our lack of pace.
just to make it entirely clear I expect to recruit 6 or 7 players , to add to the squad . we are letting 4 or 5 former squad members go with probably a couple more to go
theres incremental improvements being made as youd expect
I get upset by some , who say , we need major surgery
of our forward line that got us up theres been threads to oust those listed which is fair enough but also hanson clarke o,shea and others without giving them the opportunity to prove they could do it
apparently we need several centre backs to cover EEL going and 2 midfielders , despite our record last season

this lack of pace thing ,I sit watching videos of us scoring and 1 in 2 goals come from passing and moving fast overlapping and crosses
we continually ran round or through defences

had we no pace at all we wouldnt be able to have done it , or got close

just to make it entirely clear I expect to recruit 6 or 7 players , to add to the squad . we are letting 4 or 5 former squad members go with probably a couple more to go
of our forward line that got us up theres been threads to oust those listed which is fair enough but also hanson clarke o,shea and others without giving them the opportunity to prove they could do it
apparently we need several centre backs to cover EEL going and 2 midfielders , despite our record last season

this lack of pace thing ,I sit watching videos of us scoring and 1 in 2 goals come from passing and moving fast overlapping and crosses

We released 2 I think. 3 on the transfer list. EEL gone back to Wolves and O'Shea declined a contract. On top of that, we were still a couple of players light for covering all positions in the squad, so I would guess at 8 - 9 altold, unless someone comes in for one of ours and we sell and that figure will rise accordingly

I am pleased CW is signing the cream of the lower division clubs with desire and drive and guts rather than like some clubs wasting 10 million on prima donnas unable to bottle taking a penalty when the going gets tough

Pace is relative though. That said, pace isn't much unless allied with ability.

Personally, I don't think we need major surgery, or that we'll sign loads of players. We've brought in a couple who will be squad players and who have the potential to become regular first team players, in time.

We'll sign two or three players with a view to them going into the first team.

Then, it will depend on circumstances. If, for example, a L1 club offers money for Hanson and he tells Chris that he wants to go as he'll play every week, we'll let him go and look to replace him. Otherwise, we'll start the season with more or less the players that took us up plus a couple of new ones. If any don't perform they'll be ruthlessly replaced before the window closes.

We'll see where we are come the JTW and if we need to strengthen to stay up, or we're in a position to challenge for the play offs, we will.

We won't carry out wholesale changes because we won't have the money to sign eight or nine players better than the ones we already have.

We don't need major surgery, but what we shouldn't lose sight over is that we were L1 and with the correct additions in the right areas we could surprise more than a few next season. We must not be sentimental with certain "nice" players - we need to make progress. A good example is Lafferty who had no competition to speak of last season - Enda will do just that next season.

I'll hold up Barnsley as a prime example. They lost Alfie Mawson last summer to Swansea and 3/4 good players in the last JTW. Those players haven't been replaced and Barnsley didn't plan for losing them either. It's a fair bet they will struggle next season. Those players came up on L1 wages and were whisked away pretty sharpish when bigger clubs came calling. We may be no different with our better players, hence the reason for good quality additions.

As for centre backs? Are you thinking we don't need any? For me we need at least 1 and possibly 2. CW called Wilson and Hussey wrong last pre season, but rectified it quickly. We can't afford to be left short next season due to injury/poor form/new league etc.

You shouldn't get upset - we have to push on and that means changes all the time. Sorry, there is no place for sentiment in football for teams that want to get better. CW wants that for us - it's great to see.

UTB

We don't need major surgery, but what we shouldn't lose sight over is that we were L1 and with the correct additions in the right areas we could surprise more than a few next season. We must not be sentimental with certain "nice" players - we need to make progress. A good example is Lafferty who had no competition to speak of last season - Enda will do just that next season.

I'll hold up Barnsley as a prime example. They lost Alfie Mawson last summer to Swansea and 3/4 good players in the last JTW. Those players haven't been replaced and Barnsley didn't plan for losing them either. It's a fair bet they will struggle next season. Those players came up on L1 wages and were whisked away pretty sharpish when bigger clubs came calling. We may be no different with our better players, hence the reason for good quality additions.

As for centre backs? Are you thinking we don't need any? For me we need at least 1 and possibly 2. CW called Wilson and Hussey wrong last pre season, but rectified it quickly. We can't afford to be left short next season due to injury/poor form/new league etc.

You shouldn't get upset - we have to push on and that means changes all the time. Sorry, there is no place for sentiment in football for teams that want to get better. CW wants that for us - it's great to see.

UTB
Barnsley finished like we did , and didnt add too many , unfortunately when they had the chance to push on , instead they sold half the team anf flat lined

Barnsley did show that we with the right application can make serious inroads up that table , along with the continued purchase of ambitious focused players who have the desire to succeed in a good team ahead of personal acclaim

think its fair to say Wednesday signed a lot of individually decent players but failed to gel as a unit as CW managed to do with our squad, no billy big boots
Huddersfield is a good template on how to get amongst teams in the championship, with attitude still being able to trump medium sized spending

We need to replace EEL , other than that saw nothing that leaves our current back line miles behind. in fact saw some pretty poor defending on show in the championship games I saw

Last edited:
We desperately need to sign cover for centre Mid as it stands the only cover we have for Coutts Fleck and Carruthers is Harvey Gilmour and Regan Slater with Reedy and Ben Whiteman going out on loan and Basham is a far better bet at centre half than midfield

Back
Top Bottom