Can we make it bigger?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You’d think so but Man City don’t always fill the Etihad. 40k sounds about right but if we couldn’t stay in the PL, like the majority of clubs can’t, it would seem very empty with only 25k in it.

I look at it like this. How much would an extra 10,000 per game bring in? If you took a high average of £20 per head it’s only £400k per game. Less than £8m a season. Before you factor in the cost of the work.

That’s not a huge proportion of our income if we were in the PL.

What most people seem to be suggesting appear to be vanity projects.

Exactly. Many claims that both owners are “skint” but are somehow expected to spend millions on development.

Hit the nail on the head there. Some fans are suggesting idealistic vanity projects that make no financial sense.

Also I think increasing the capacity is probably low on the clubs priorities.
I believe the real motivation is expanding banqueting/ conferencing facilities as that brings in income 52 weeks out of the year
There’s also a drive to improve our reputation/ facilities for VIP visitors, media, corporate guests etc.
In the business world a fancy expanded and refurbished South stand puts us on the map.

Doing the above also happens to increase our capacity.
Hence why I believe the South stand might be done before the Kop, even though the Kop is the worse stand in the ground.

You’d think so but Man City don’t always fill the Etihad. 40k sounds about right but if we couldn’t stay in the PL, like the majority of clubs can’t, it would seem very empty with only 25k in it.

I look at it like this. How much would an extra 10,000 per game bring in? If you took a high average of £20 per head it’s only £400k per game. Less than £8m a season. Before you factor in the cost of the work.

That's not the full picture though. A more impressive stadium leads to a higher profile, maybe the odd international, opportunity to glean more 'executive' cash, an improved chance of getting better players through the door, a higher chance of attracting 'floating' and young supporters. There's much more to it than a higher capacity.

Wouldn't change anything about Bramall Lane (except from the size of the John Street stand). It is quite modern, whilst still retaining a ton of character, and soul. The south stand is iconic (probably not outside of Sheffield) and the KOP just gives the ground that traditional feel. The stands they’re on about replacing are without a doubt my favourite, we aren’t even selling out as it is, no reason yet. Don’t even know if we’ll go up, shouldn’t count your chickens.

John Street needs another tier on it because it is out of sync with the rest of the stadium.
The problem is the terraced housing facing the stadium, people live there and obviously don't want a stadium built over their houses. However, there seems to be much less housing on there than there used to be and seems to be less people living there.

Hardly any team in England can consistently sell out when doing well in the Championship, can only think of Norwich.

But Carrow Road has a capacity of 27,244. Bramall Lane has a published* capacity of 32,702.

* I wonder if the police at Norwich deliberately go into overkill when there's a big match on? Can't remember loads of netting covering seats when they're on TV. :oops:

I think this is the crucial point. It wouldn't substantially add to the club's revenue if we were in the PL. Gate receipts there are dwarfed by TV money. This is particularly so if the club keeps its ticket prices low as at the moment and I if KM wins the battle for control I would expect this policy to continue. Many PL clubs survive with stadiums smaller or the same size as ours: Bournemouth, Fulham, Palace, Watford, Leicester, Burnley, Brighton.
The most important thing would be to get the club established with a good playing squad before spending money on increasing capacity. Might it be possible to re-organise the BL end so that there is better segregation so we could actually use all the seats?
Anyway I hate these sort of threads that are "jumping the gun"!!

This is quite simply down to the kick off time changes coupled with the amount of times we’ve been on TV this season which I’ve lost count of.

I still think this seasons will end up higher anyway by the seasons end, the Bristol City game will be a sellout for a start or not far off it.

Every team has matches on TV we’ve had more away matces on TV and we had plenty on TV last year

People just love an excuse weather ? Kick off times ? TV ?

When, (not if), we go up to the Prem at the end of this season, can we get started please on making our ground bigger?

I want that two tier kop with standing in the lower section and I want the South Stand (where I sit) to be extended to be bigger than the main stand at Elland Road. Ground Capacity not less than 40,000.

I’m only mentioning it now because if we’re going to do it in summer we need to be getting brickies out for a quote now as all the good ones are booked up months in advance. I know this because I’ve recently tried to get a brickie out to put a cantilever roof and faux-Gothic turrets on our outside shithouse and you just can’t get the buggers to come out and quote even unless you give them plenty of notice.

So..gerronweit!

vivnicholson.jpg

That's not the full picture though. A more impressive stadium leads to a higher profile, maybe the odd international, opportunity to glean more 'executive' cash, an improved chance of getting better players through the door, a higher chance of attracting 'floating' and young supporters. There's much more to it than a higher capacity.
I think Sheffsteel covered it in his post above. I don’t disagree but I don’t think it will deliver what a lot of supporters are hoping for.

Every team has matches on TV we’ve had more away matces on TV and we had plenty on TV last year

People just love an excuse weather ? Kick off times ? TV ?
I’m not making an excuse for anyone, I’m looking into why it could be lower than last season but then I’ve stated it will end up higher by the seasons end anyway so whys it matter? I suggest you read the whole post before taking bits into context.

Just for your information, we’ve had 9 games at home on sky, I’d suggest it was nowhere near that amount last season and will have a bearing on attendances whether me or you like it or not.

This is quite simply down to the kick off time changes coupled with the amount of times we’ve been on TV this season which I’ve lost count of.

I still think this seasons will end up higher anyway by the seasons end, the Bristol City game will be a sellout for a start or not far off it.

Unfortunately we need to average 32,715 for each of our last 4 home games to match last seasons average so will obviously fall short.

Expect we’ll just about hit 26k mark for this season.

I’m not making an excuse for anyone, I’m looking into why it could be lower than last season but then I’ve stated it will end up higher by the seasons end anyway so whys it matter? I suggest you read the whole post before taking bits into context.

Just for your information, we’ve had 9 games at home on sky, I’d suggest it was nowhere near that amount last season and will have a bearing on attendances whether me or you like it or not.
When did the red button come in? I heard a couple of months ago that attendances across the championship had gone down.

Unfortunately we need to average 32,715 for each of our last 4 home games to match last seasons average so will obviously fall short.

Expect we’ll just about hit 26k mark for this season.
You are indeed correct but you can piss off with facts on here. :)

My overriding point is we’ve still had good numbers considering the televised games and the nostalgia wearing off for some after the first season back last season. I haven’t looked but I reckon that almost everyone’s attendances will drop off after their first season in a division?

Some people can’t get for one reason or another, I’m not going to state on here or anywhere for that matter that they’re using excuses to not go because why would they need an excuse? If they don’t want to go or can’t go for whatever reason then it’s completely upto them, they’re still Blades.

If and when it does happen, the South Stand will be the first to be redeveloped. Firstly it's easier to redevelop as much of the stand could still remain open, perhaps all of it, depending on timescales/H&S and secondly, it represents a much better ROI than redeveloping the Kop.

This has been discussed so many times. Although I would also prefer a total rebuild of the Kop, however doing your suggestion has so many negatives it’s untrue, any normal business man would never do it, it looks like it would cost many many millions and take several decades to approach anywhere near the return on the investment. Would seriously piss off some season ticket holders too, who would be refused the ability to watch home games for 2 years as overall capacity would be reduced to 20,000, which would be rediculously low if we were in the PL.

Think Liverpool,also if you get to the Prem,you get free money,£10/20 million should cover the rebuild,and we would all be able to stretch our legs in comfort on an enclosed concours.

No point unless we are established PL. I believe if we were finishing upper table like Bournemouth we'd get 40k a week.

We don't need a bigger ground and we probably never will.

Been discussed on here a million times over the years.
But we do need a better ground (Kop mainly). So if we’re building a better ground.......we might as well make it bigger

Why?

Bigger would mean more expensive.

It would just be a vanity project.
The Kop stand was antiquated when it was built nearly 30 years ago. It was done on the cheap and if we go up will be the only stand in the Prem to be built on a spoil heap. I don’t think we need a ground any bigger than 36k. So just bring the Kop up to the same standard as the other 3.

The Kop stand was antiquated when it was built nearly 30 years ago. It was done on the cheap and if we go up will be the only stand in the Prem to be built on a spoil heap. I don’t think we need a ground any bigger than 36k. So just bring the Kop up to the same standard as the other 3.
I agree, rest of the ground is fine, kop, much that I love it on an emotional level, is a cramped shambles.

If and when it does happen, the South Stand will be the first to be redeveloped. Firstly it's easier to redevelop as much of the stand could still remain open, perhaps all of it, depending on timescales/H&S and secondly, it represents a much better ROI than redeveloping the Kop.

I think this is wrong. The plan is to do the Kop if we stay up the first season and do the South Stand if we stay up the second season.

Why display the lovely colourful plans?

Several potential reasons, probably both apply.

1: Feel good factor, keep fans onside by inferring that we have big ambitions to progress the club off the pitch as well as on the pitch.
2: Another additional element that might impress and encourage a new owner. We look a more sexy club for investment when we explain planning permission is in place and show them photos of what the stadium could look like with all the property developement ideas.

The really i,portent issue here though is those ideas were when McCabe was the owner in control. There’s now an ownership battle and we’ve no idea whether the Prince has the slightest interest in stadium improvement/ expansion, I’d guess probably not. Also we’ve no idea if McCabe has changed his mind regards the plans or what his real motivation was in the first place.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom