CONFIRMED Cameron Archer signs for the Blades - 4 year contract

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yeah I remember it well enough. Was just making a snarky comment based on hindsight.

Personally I just can't get that excited about any potential signing Archer's age again with Brewster's Swansea showreel in the back of my mind.

The other thing that gave me Brewster flashbacks was Hecky's comment on being delighted to get Souza on a permanent because he thought it would only be a loan - almost word for word what Wilder said about RB
I get the Brewster PTSD but we can't like avoid signing young highly rated players just because one went wrong

I get the Brewster PTSD but we can't like avoid signing young highly rated players just because one went wrong
Not disagreeing mate but IMO the lesson from the Brewster debacle should be to never again splash the big bucks, and put the 'club record signing' / 'star player' pressure for instant results, on an unproven young lad.

Not disagreeing mate but IMO the lesson from the Brewster debacle should be to never again splash the big bucks, and put the 'club record signing' / 'star player' pressure for instant results, on an unproven young lad.
Some clubs are spending our club record on back up keepers now. Ramsdale is our record sale and he's potentially losing his shirt! Man city sell kids who have far less than what Brewster did at Swansea for about the same! It's absolutely bizarre but that's where we are at now.

I get the weird feeling that we might get this lad for a half decent fee in the end.

They will insist on a buy-back so it is almost academic how little he goes for because his top rate will be fixed for Villa.

He’s in that nice niche where he’s going to be out of reach of 90% of the Championship and not visible enough or seen as the finished article for 80% of the Premiership.

As such I think we are in an excellent position on this one.

If we do decide to play as a two up front, no reason why McBurnie cannot play slightly deeper. Arguably that is often where he does some of his best work.

If we can have a midfield of Doyle, Souza and Hamer and then McBurnie and Archer with a potential alternative of another attacking midfielder/winger type like McAtee, Palmer etc then we’d be in a very good position going forwards.

Got to also remember Slimane and Toure are 22 and 21. They have plenty of time then to adjust.

He’s in that nice niche where he’s going to be out of reach of 90% of the Championship

Leeds deluded fans are confident he's going to them. Someone should tell them that he's already got his championship badge of honor.

Mind you they also thought they were getting Hamer.. until they weren't.

A fair few dissatisfied with the 49ers and wondering where munneh gone.

Leeds deluded fans are confident he's going to them. Someone should tell them that he's already got his championship badge of honor.

Mind you they also thought they were getting Hamer.. until they weren't.

A fair few dissatisfied with the 49ers and wondering where munneh gone.
Throw Max Aarons doing a U-turn ont M1 and they must be feeling worse than their religation

John Ebbrell?
Bit before my time, and I don't know his contract situation, but Brewster has been (and presumably still is) the highest paid player in the club for the past 3 years and still has another 2 years to go.
He's had ample opportunity to contribute to games in a meaningful way but has only mustered 4 league goals in 57 appearances. His presence in the squad is actively sapping valuable resources from potential improvements we could be making and the squad as a whole is weaker because our highest paid player is a complete non-entity.

I'd like to think that with how much sports science has come in the past few decades that John Ebbrell would have just failed his medical outright before even signing for us if it was to happen today. (But who knows with us, we seem to be an injury factory at times).

Bit before my time, and I don't know his contract situation, but Brewster has been (and presumably still is) the highest paid player in the club for the past 3 years and still has another 2 years to go.
He's had ample opportunity to contribute to games in a meaningful way but has only mustered 4 league goals in 57 appearances. His presence in the squad is actively sapping valuable resources from potential improvements we could be making and the squad as a whole is weaker because our highest paid player is a complete non-entity.

I'd like to think that with how much sports science has come in the past few decades that John Ebbrell would have just failed his medical outright before even signing for us if it was to happen today. (But who knows with us, we seem to be an injury factory at times).
£1.2m in 1997 for 45 minutes football is probably worse but I take your point

£1.2m in 1997 for 45 minutes football is probably worse but I take your point
Wasn't John Ebbrell's fault though the injury. Not is it Brewster's but when Brewster has played he's looked like a player we've signed from League One for about £600,000. I do hope he proves me wrong but not hopeful.

Gone a bit quiet on this front hasn’t it after a flurry of reports confirming our interest no reports of us having a bid in. Things will need to seriously ramp up today and tomorrow if we’re going to have anyone new registered in time for Forest.

I think the difference with the Brewster and Archer signings is that last time we were in the prem we didn’t identify other targets which led us to keep increasing our offers until they were finally accepted. Liverpool put a ridiculous valuation on Brewster and we were gullible enough to pay it. This time we seem to identify more than one target and stick to our valuations of the players. If the club won’t sell according to our valuations of them we move on. It’s made business slower but should mean that we don’t end up overpaying

Gone a bit quiet on this front hasn’t it after a flurry of reports confirming our interest no reports of us having a bid in. Things will need to seriously ramp up today and tomorrow if we’re going to have anyone new registered in time for Forest.
yes we do im sure hecky wants 2 more in this week and 1 definetly has to be a striker wonder who weve got lined up if neither akpom or archer arrive 🤔

yes we do im sure hecky wants 2 more in this week and 1 definetly has to be a striker wonder who weve got lined up if neither akpom or archer arrive 🤔
Not the foggiest whatever happens hopefully it happens fast.

Andy67 sez clubs gone into lockdown since earlier targets leaked. But what does he know ;) 🤣

Andy67 sez clubs gone into lockdown since earlier targets leaked. But what does he know ;) 🤣
I was more on about on the media front lots of reports in the press about our interest and then nothing further.

Don't disagree with some of the points but Brewster isn't our highest paid player, quite a few earning more than him from what I was told.
Fair enough- I'm just basing it on the admittedly probably inaccurate data you can find online.

Back
Top Bottom