Briefly Brilliant Blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Jan Age, I can not believe he is not mentioned more, best finisher of consistent quality goals in my 40 odd years of going to the lane. 34 appearances 19 goals. Then sold with Deano on the darkest day in our history (apart from Cheds conviction, but that was not our flaut).

Did I make it up or did Darren Bullock join on loan, have the appearance of a 40-something Sunday league player but proceed to play against the piggies and smash them around in midfield? Might all be a dream…

Did Arturo Lupoli have a really good debut then fade?
There was also and Arg defender around the same time I’m sure.

One that sticks out for me was Ugo Ehiogu (rip), was signed everyone said he passed it, came on Barnsley away and had an absolutely blinder. Had a few good games after that as well. Pretty sure he had played poor before that Barnsley game.

He was one of those players I was never really sold on. We signed him at the same time as Dave Kitson and I remember thinking Kitson was the better player.

Another player who was briefly brilliant at the Lane. Andy Gray. Signed from Bradford for £50k and had all the attributes of a top top striker and I was pissed off when we sold him to Sunderland, he never hit the same heights in his career either before or after his year or so at the Lane
Andy Gray was a mardyarse. He could take a penalty, but Shipperley showed him up when he came on as sub in the first game against Leicester in 05-06. Shipperley put himself about more in 10 minutes than Gray had in half a season.

I can see it in my minds eye. Kop end, he was on the left of the area, hit it across the keeper (Mervyn Day I think) and the rising shot went in the top right hand corner. What a strike.

Yes, Denis Mortimer had his cheekbone fractured by Roger Wylde against Barnsley about a month earlier. We had a decent run when he was around.
Dennis Mortimer tried to take legal action against Wylde and they appealed for spectators to come forward as witnesses but I don't think anything came of it.

I have a vague memory that Graham Stuart was quite average for a good year, then hit a brilliant patch and went to Charlton

David Frain

Either on his debut or near his debut, he scored a wonderful goal in at the Kop end. He started off on the left wing and headed towards the corner of the penalty area. He hit a lovely curling shot in to the far top corner of the goal. I thought United had found a real gem. However his career didn’t really take off at Bramall Lane.

David Frain

Either on his debut or near his debut, he scored a wonderful goal in at the Kop end. He started off on the left wing and headed towards the corner of the penalty area. He hit a lovely curling shot in to the far top corner of the goal. I thought United had found a real gem. However his career didn’t really take off at Bramall Lane.

David Frain
David Frain
Down the wing he does go like a train

Remember singing it away in the mid 80s.

As you say, he never quite made it.

Arnott, Dempsey, Phillis, Wigley also burned bright very briefly at that time.

David Frain
David Frain
Down the wing he does go like a train

Remember singing it away in the mid 80s.

As you say, he never quite made it.

Arnott, Dempsey, Phillis, Wigley also burned bright very briefly at that time.
Arnott was class I thought

Andy Scott. Beat Chelsea 4-2, last match of 92/93 season and he looked unplayable. Couldn't wait to see him develop the following season, but it didn't happen for him.

Back
Top Bottom