Briefly Brilliant Blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I remember his debut and he was pulling out all the tricks and looked a class above everyone in our side, may have been the QPR game where Billy scored a hat trick then was plonked on the right wing from then onwards in another brief spell of brilliance .

He completely lost his marbles in that game against Coventry, didn't the physio have to drag him off the field after he was sent off because he wouldn't go?
According to wiki, his debut was against Brum but I do remember him being class in his first game and taking the piss out of the opposition. I was surprised because I thought he was a utility player who'd been signed by McCabe to assist his vanity project in China (like Haidong and Li Tie). As you say though, he completely lost it against Cov - poleaxed Mifsud, was correctly sent off and then had to be dragged off the pitch. A real shame because for a brief period he looked mint and could have been a crowd favourite

Keith Gillespie was an interesting one for us, slow starter but whilst in the PL one of the first names on the team sheet most weeks. Then faded back off again in the Champ.
He couldn't half put in a good cross though!

Quite liked Paul Shaw but he wasn't around for long.

I only really remember him being a fucking terrible swap for Vas Borbokis but I did see Jonathan Hunt put in an absolutely brilliant performance in a 3-0 win at home (Port Vale?!) on the last, or close to last, day of the season. He was abject in every way before that.

Owen Morrison had a fantastic game at home to someone too, then was never seen again.
Owen Morrison nearly scored an incredible goal on his debut.

Keith Gillespie was an interesting one for us, slow starter but whilst in the PL one of the first names on the team sheet most weeks. Then faded back off again in the Champ.

Always really liked Keith Gillespie. Weird how he just dropped off.

Controversial one but ....Connor Sammon

His home debut was a 2-0 win over Chesterfield and he played really well including 2 assists for Che Adams. Sadly, that was about it

Nathan Dyer.. loaned in for a month by Blackwell spent most of it unused on the bench started him one game where he looked sensational, then was sent back as Blacky reckoned he “didn’t fit our work ethic”

he Went on to play almost 200 premier league games... we went on to spend six years in League one. Cherers Kev.

Wigley scored what is still the best goal I've seen from a Blades player soon after he joined, but his purple patch was after that. He was really good in the middle of 1986-7, before we let him go to Birmingham. The feeling was that he was "playing to get away" so to speak.

Of similar vintage was Mel Eves' excellent 1984-5 for us after signing from Wolves in December - 16 games, 9 goals, including that fantastic winner against Leeds at the Lane when they were ripping the seats out of the BLUT (and throwing them down on their own fans). Unfortunately injuries meant he hardly played the following season and only got one more goal.
I was right behind the goal when Eves scored that winner against Leeds and still vividly remember it. I always thought that of the 'older' players that Porterfield brought in, he was one of the better ones.

On the same token, we could probably add Dennis Mortimer who was excellent in the few games he played for us. You will know, but didn't he get crocked by Rodger Wylde against Barnsley?

We have had plenty of rubbish players (Dean Hammond), some average Joes (Paul Thirlwell) and some legends like Delano but this is jjst to celebrate those whose brilliance in the red and white stripes was glorious but short lived.

Lee Morris
Owen Morrison
Jean-Phillipe Javary
George Donis
Steve Kabba (pre leg breaks)
Jean Calve

Calve's brilliance was so brief it comprised a mere long range thunderbolt against Preston and that was it

Sun Jihai had moments where he looked brilliant, but unfortunately had more moments when he looked like a nutter (including a crazy challenge on Mifsud). Could have been a cult hero but kept getting sent off 😂

I heard he was as miffed as the Blades fans Mifsud refused to sign that transfer window

Lecsinel Jean-Francois, did one knee out for 12 months came back and did the other immediately after very unlucky.

Brief but was he ever brilliant? Just seemed a steady eddie to me

Oliver Tebily

Got to be far and away the best answer this one. Just a handful of games but all were imperious displays and no Blade was surprised he was gone as quickly as he came.

I'd also like to proffer Traianos Dellas who went through a brief goal scoring spree including a last minute rocket against Portsmouth at the Lane which to this day is my fav Blades goal I've seen live.

How about Petr Kachouro? Was a goal scoring machine under Kendall and so telling was his importance to the team his early injury in the play off final did us IMO. But once we signed re-signed Deane the following season he fell down the pecking order and seemed to lose his mojo.

Curtis Woodhouse? His first full season was outstanding and I remember him being the focal point of everything good we did on the pitch. Especially memorable was how easily he had Patrick Vieira in his pocket against the Arsenal.

Luton Shelton (RIP) - those 90 minutes at Old Trafford he was unstoppable. But never returned to that performance level for us.

Graham Stuart and Dean Saunders - both somewhat prolific under Spackman.

And he's well before my time but Alex Sabella? Surely

And for the older punter, a little fat bloke called Paddy Buckley who had a brilliant 45 mins against Man Utd in 1967 (or maybe 68). We still lost 0-3 though
Man City in January 1968 was his home debut. Made a solo run before getting tripped in the box. Woody had his spot kick saved by Ken Mulhearn

I only really remember him being a fucking terrible swap for Vas Borbokis but I did see Jonathan Hunt put in an absolutely brilliant performance in a 3-0 win at home (Port Vale?!) on the last, or close to last, day of the season. He was abject in every way before that.
Hunt was brilliant in the 3-0 win against Wolves in Sept 1999. He took corners with either foot.

That Kyle lad looked good, dont know if he went on to do owt, his performance at wembley deserved so much more

I was right behind the goal when Eves scored that winner against Leeds and still vividly remember it. I always thought that of the 'older' players that Porterfield brought in, he was one of the better ones.

On the same token, we could probably add Dennis Mortimer who was excellent in the few games he played for us. You will know, but didn't he get crocked by Rodger Wylde against Barnsley?

I can see it in my minds eye. Kop end, he was on the left of the area, hit it across the keeper (Mervyn Day I think) and the rising shot went in the top right hand corner. What a strike.

Yes, Denis Mortimer had his cheekbone fractured by Roger Wylde against Barnsley about a month earlier. We had a decent run when he was around.

Paul Shaw looked a class act, one of my favourites too. That bald headed Newcastle midfielder Shelvey really reminds me of him.

Regards Gillespie…being a winger seems to be the most inconsistent position in football.
Ian Bryson, Jamie Murphy, Cotteril were all brilliant on their day….then did almost nothing in other matches,

Jamal Campbell-Rice is another great example.
One match out of 5 he’d be PL quality and you were shocked at how good he was…our main threat.
Then the next 4 matches he was like a non league player…struggling badly even at league 1 level.

Last edited:
Controversial one but ....Connor Sammon

His home debut was a 2-0 win over Chesterfield and he played really well including 2 assists for Che Adams. Sadly, that was about it

Good call…..like that Liverpudlian striker we bought from that Dutch team he did look a decent striker on his debut
incredible to think that for both players their debuts were their best displays.

Think I can beat that for the briefest glimpse of magic….a player who showed a glimpse of Diego Maradona for 10 minutes…then he just disappeared.

I give you Samir Carruthers….the Adel Tarabt of league 1.
He has all the tricks and flicks….looked a really exciting very talented player…but it never worked out.
Maybe he earned a big contract then lost his desire. I see he now plays in the National league…just shows how talent doesn’t guarantee success.

Thought of a few more...

Billy Clarke (I think the only reason we were top two going into Ched's conviction was that month earlier in the season when we had Clarke and Phillips scoring or assisting with every bleeding touch)

Paul McGrath (we managed to get less than half a season out of him but my word... gold)

Shaun Derry (in that fist half season he had under Spackman)

David White - had him for one season felt he was consistently very good for us

Gary Cahill - utter quality during his loan spell

Greg Halford - gained almost cult status during his loan

Carl Ikeme - terrific until injured

Conor Coady - real engine for us on the road to Wembley

Jake Wright - OK not so brief but still feels like Mr Dependable is the forgotten man of recent Blades success

David Brooks - only played a handful of games if you think about it and rarely failed to dazzle

Martin Cranie - critical to getting us over the line 2nd half of the last promotion season despite only making a dozen appearances if that

Brian Howard looked superb on his 15 minute debut v Bristol City but was terrible after that.

Owen Morrison had a fantastic game at home to someone too, then was never seen again.
Derby County comes to my mind for the Owen Morrison game, absolutely ran them ragged.

Man City in January 1968 was his home debut. Made a solo run before getting tripped in the box. Woody had his spot kick saved by Ken Mulhearn
Yeah, was Man City. I was only 10 years old, and the cops took us through into the terrace from the Kop as soon as we got in 'cos there was a big brawl going on in the Kop. Buckley was pants in every game after that....

Jon Harley - great loan spell, bobbins when we signed him on a permanent.

Back
Top Bottom