Briefly Brilliant Blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Runaround and LLV

Higdon had a decent 10 mins or so…
Andy Reid and Matt Phillips were excellent on loan for us

Alex Notman - got 5 in 6 on loan from Man Utd then fisnihed up at Norwich and disappeared
Earl Barrett and Des Hamilton both put in a decent month's loan in 98/99 under Bruce.

We have had plenty of rubbish players (Dean Hammond), some average Joes (Paul Thirlwell) and some legends like Delano but this is jjst to celebrate those whose brilliance in the red and white stripes was glorious but short lived.

Lee Morris
Owen Morrison
Jean-Phillipe Javary
George Donis
Steve Kabba (pre leg breaks)
Jean Calve
You forgot John Ebbrell.

Whatever happened to Martin Smith? Genuinely forgot about him until this thread - remember him scoring every week and then rocking up to play for Huddersfield.

Carl Veart - looked promising and scored the winner against The Arse in the cup. Tony Daws who scored 2 on his debut at Blackburn. And for the older punter, a little fat bloke called Paddy Buckley who had a brilliant 45 mins against Man Utd in 1967 (or maybe 68). We still lost 0-3 though

Nick Blackman - he looked really skilful and I remover him scoring loads of penalties (was probably only one or two in reality)

He was one of those players I was never really sold on. We signed him at the same time as Dave Kitson and I remember thinking Kitson was the better player.

Another player who was briefly brilliant at the Lane. Andy Gray. Signed from Bradford for £50k and had all the attributes of a top top striker and I was pissed off when we sold him to Sunderland, he never hit the same heights in his career either before or after his year or so at the Lane

Phil Starbug - a world-beater on loan and then we signed him.....

Derek Richardson - big strong keeper who came out and gobbled up crosses in his first game (Sarfend?). His second match was an away game at a lower league team and I believe that did not go so well...

Paul Thirwell was never an average Joe .

He took the art of going missing on a football pitch to a whole new level . In terms of work rate , enthusiasm and commitment he made Dean Hammond and John Lundstram look like Nobby Styles and Trevor Hockey .
Fair point. And if he ever needs an ineffectual centre mid partner I give you… James Harper!

Danny Cadamateri. He had a spell of a half a dozen games where he looked like a poor man's Rooney. Kept hitting the woodwork and looked like someone that was going to take off. Never happened.

He did everything but score in those first few games, beating players for fun. I think everyone thought that once he got one he'd go on a run, but while he did score once, it never happened.

He did everything but score in those first few games, beating players for fun. I think everyone thought that once he got one he'd go on a run, but while he did score once, it never happened.

I can visualise it so clearly.

We were all stood at the back of the Kop, Blades attacking our end. Cadamateri picking up the ball on the left wing, beating a player or 2 and cutting inside onto his right foot, shoots, back off the post. I'm probably exaggerating in my mind, but I'm sure he hit the woodwork 3 or 4 times in one game once.

Paul Shaw was another player who could look really bloody good some weeks. Not sure he fits into this category though.

I always remember the mid week night game against Millwall when Tonge literally looked like a world beater. Imagine if he could have played like that for the rest of his career. Think the single best performance in a match by a player I have seen.

Sun Jihai had moments where he looked brilliant, but unfortunately had more moments when he looked like a nutter (including a crazy challenge on Mifsud). Could have been a cult hero but kept getting sent off 😂
I remember his debut and he was pulling out all the tricks and looked a class above everyone in our side, may have been the QPR game where Billy scored a hat trick then was plonked on the right wing from then onwards in another brief spell of brilliance .

He completely lost his marbles in that game against Coventry, didn't the physio have to drag him off the field after he was sent off because he wouldn't go?

I only really remember him being a fucking terrible swap for Vas Borbokis but I did see Jonathan Hunt put in an absolutely brilliant performance in a 3-0 win at home (Port Vale?!) on the last, or close to last, day of the season. He was abject in every way before that.

Owen Morrison had a fantastic game at home to someone too, then was never seen again.

Back
Top Bottom