Brewster

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So if I'm reading correctly Brewster did a couple of things right as in what we are paying him to do, didn't go off injured nor get sent off and he's the next coming of Jairzinho?

There is definitely shades of William H Foulkes analysis of Connor Sammons "proper striker performance" away at Blackpool when he didn't score either here.
You're not reading things right

I disagree entirely.

I think most people slag off the bottom 2 purely based on their price tag
I disagree, most people or should I say some people can see what each player brings or brought to the party, JOC was brilliant who got very unlucky by his training ground injury and played through it, RND started slowly but gradually got stronger and stronger only for an injury to scupper his progression, Brewster has shown glimpses and I mean small glimpses of what he can do which look fantastic at times, unfortunately he’s been injured for almost his whole time here, McBurnie has been a very frustrating player, shown some very good individual holdup play or flickons and intelligent play overall only to hit the ball towards goal like he’s playing tiddlywinks, you can see he has something too, he’s let off field activities get in the way too much and doesn’t shy away from it, this personifies his on field game too because he doesn’t shy away from a scuffle or 2 there either and often gives a free kick away and barely ever wins one, if any of this is untrue then I’ll stand to be corrected. 👍

I disagree entirely.

I think most people slag off the bottom 2 purely based on their price tag
That’s my gripe with them, it’s getting on for Owen Hargreaves levels of poor value.

I get that it’s not their fault that they get injured but I resent expensive injured players being around much more than cheap injured ones.

Think what we could have done with the wages and transfer fee we paid for Brewster, I bet it would have been a lot more impactful.

McBurnie I kind of forgive because he had a hand in promotion last season with 15 goals and scored some in the 9th placed season.

Brewster’s contribution is shocking.

A few good games from him and the levels of revisionism and ‘told you so’ will be off the scale.

He’d need to score 20+ goals in a promotion campaign next season for me to consider him anything other than a failure of a signing.

If Chris is still here next season, I think that he will want 2 x main strikers, the kids and Brewster as a fifth, which would be the safe option (just my opinion of course).

That’s my gripe with them, it’s getting on for Owen Hargreaves levels of poor value.

I get that it’s not their fault that they get injured but I resent expensive injured players being around much more than cheap injured ones.

Think what we could have done with the wages and transfer fee we paid for Brewster, I bet it would have been a lot more impactful.

McBurnie I kind of forgive because he had a hand in promotion last season with 15 goals and scored some in the 9th placed season.

A few good games from him and the levels of revisionism and ‘told you so’ will be off the scale.

He’d need to score 20+ goals in a promotion campaign next season for me to consider him anything other than a failure of a signing.
Even if he does that he's still a failure of a signing, not sure there's any amount of goals that would get many trying to claim it was a good buy (20+ this season to keep us up would be nice) but at least if he does something positive at some point it'd be good.
I was resigned to him tossing off the rest of his contract with half-hearted sub appearances while being one of the highest earners but he showed signs of wanting to contribute something yesterday.
Obviously he's rusty and it was only one game, but it's a slight glimmer of maybe getting something out of him, whether that's actually getting a little bit of money back for him in the summer to offload him or being a proper worthwhile player next season.
He might get injured or revert to his normal levels of performance next time he plays but until then we can at least hope he has something to give.

I was resigned to him tossing off the rest of his contract with half-hearted sub appearances
I’ve never thought lack of effort is his issue, just lack of football intelligence.

He always tries hard when he comes on, but just looks completely lost in the process.

He looked like he knew what he was doing on Sunday, a huge step forward for him.

If Chris is still here next season, I think that he will want 2 x main strikers, the kids and Brewster as a fifth, which would be the safe option (just my opinion of course).
I also think Chris will push for McBurnie to stay.

Most football managers are not great at admitting they got it wrong.

Us writing off Brewster’s signing fee and that is McBurnie would be a huge slap in the face.

That said, if they finally could become the partnership we thought they might then all the better.

But if you’re relying on them for a 46 game season without some very serious back ups then you’re asking for trouble!

in some way of a slight defence Rhian has played only bit parts in games , his total minutes on the pitch are exactly 300 minute or the equivalent of 3 and a third games, hes yet to start and finish a game, with such little opportunities its no wonder hes lacking fitness and confidence
0 goals in 3 games alone isnt catastrophic

in some way of a slight defence Rhian has played only bit parts in games , his total minutes on the pitch are exactly 300 minute or the equivalent of 3 and a third games, hes yet to start and finish a game, with such little opportunities its no wonder hes lacking fitness and confidence
0 goals in 3 games alone isnt catastrophic
x0 goals in x3 games isn't the stat people look at.
It's x0 goals for £20m.

For what it's worth I think he'll be a useful player us next season, just not what we think a £20m one is.

And some

If he gets a new deal the terms will have to be heavily weighted in our favour. Not saying its a pay as you play deal but one based on his fitness.

If he gets a new deal the terms will have to be heavily weighted in our favour. Not saying its a pay as you play deal but one based on his fitness.
Ten quid a week plus a huge goal bonus. So ten quid a week then.

I'll be astonished if Brewster plays in even half of our remaining games, and I don't think he will get anywhere near ten goals. Not a cat in hell's.

Got to be pay as you play surely. His injury record is abysmal. Don't think he will buy into that, so we might be looking at another striker.

Ten quid a week plus a huge goal bonus. So ten quid a week then.

I'll be astonished if Brewster plays in even half of our remaining games, and I don't think he will get anywhere near ten goals. Not a cat in hell's.
10 goals over what period of time? At the moment he’d need a 5 year contract to achieve that output.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves yet. Quite a long while ago when he came back from injury he had 5/6 games and was starting to look good then got injured and was out for months. From what I saw of the Wolves highlights he was looking good but its just one game. If he stays injury free till the end of the season then...... who knows.

There's no such thing as a pay as you play deal. We're a premier league club not Isthmian North Division One.

I reckon Rhian will be offered a new deal if he proves his fitness over the next 12 months. Obviously on reduced terms, but there is a player in there so if he bags for fun next season we won't be the only ones after his signature. He certainly won't be signing anywhere for anyone on some sort of non league contract

Not pay as you play but some players do have big appearance bonuses on top of a lower basic wage, which is also why those same players end up not getting picked when a team is in financial trouble.

If and it's a huge if, Brewster can stay fit and perform like he did last week, we would have some player on our hands, I really do feel for the kid, a huge price tag on his head, and injuries have crucified him

But you only have to hear how the managers have spoken about him that it's through no fault of his own (like mousset for example)

They all love him from what I've seen

Some of the criticism the kid gets is ridiculous

We all want Brewster to succeed (well most of us!!) and I do think there is talent in him somewhere, for sure! He needs some good fortune and hopefully gets it staying fit and healthy in the process. He must be desperate to get going himself, poor lad.

People talk about the "Brewster fee" like it was mega bucks. Yes maybe to "little old us" it seems like a lot of money but what with the English (homegrown) tax and his promise at the time I'm afraid it's the going rate!! Liverpool expected him to get better obvs hence wanting the fee and sell-on they did.

Look at Phillips to City, Maguire to Man U, Grealish to City all huge numbers in comparison to "their worth" or alternative player value overseas. The difference is that the Billionaire clubs expect it and don't bat an eyelid, where as we are small fry.

In terms of the McBurnie contract situation, I don't think we can go into next season with the pair of them ( McB and Brewster) on the books. It's two expensive and highly unreliable squad places. We just can't go on carrying players like this, in different ways they make any planning and development so difficult
McBurnie is the more proven for sure, but Brewster is the one who will be under contract.and we have to just try to keep getting the best out of in terms of fitness and performance.

Got to be pay as you play surely. His injury record is abysmal. Don't think he will buy into that, so we might be looking at another striker.
His agent will tout him as a 25m striker on a free, he will get a decent full time contract before he starts to rapidly drop down the pyramid.

His agent will tout him as a 25m striker on a free, he will get a decent full time contract before he starts to rapidly drop down the pyramid.
Why should he drop down the pyramid.?

I wasn’t expecting that performance. Not going to go over the top ( as seems to be the way on here ) but it was a really good afternoon from him. Looked lively, sharp and as I have said before, has a really good shot on him, particularly on the volley.
It was noticeable that the lack of game time means less of an understanding between the midfield as a few times he made opposite runs to where the ball was passed.
Let’s hope he can build on that performance, however I imagine he will get much less of the ball in the next match.
I thought he did alright, one of, if not his best performance and after that red the other week which came at the end of a cameo where he didn’t really touch the ball, it’s good to see.

But his reading of the game, decision making and link up play needs work. His link up with McAtee improved during the game, but I’d say that he’s closer to Kabba, Littlejohn at the moment in terms of his anticipation rather than a Sharp / Webber / Archer.

Didn’t think his shooting was great, but that seems more rustiness rather than outright lack of football ability.

But what he lacks in the above areas, currently, he has confidence to have a go, desire to improve and make the shirt his own, all of which can lift the side. The more minutes also builds fitness and sharpness

If archer was fit he’d have played, but whilst Brewster is putting in such performances, he keeps the shirt

I thought he did alright, one of, if not his best performance and after that red the other week which came at the end of a cameo where he didn’t really touch the ball, it’s good to see.

But his reading of the game, decision making and link up play needs work. His link up with McAtee improved during the game, but I’d say that he’s closer to Kabba, Littlejohn at the moment in terms of his anticipation rather than a Sharp / Webber / Archer.

Didn’t think his shooting was great, but that seems more rustiness rather than outright lack of football ability.

But what he lacks in the above areas, currently, he has confidence to have a go, desire to improve and make the shirt his own, all of which can lift the side. The more minutes also builds fitness and sharpness

If archer was fit he’d have played, but whilst Brewster is putting in such performances, he keeps the shirt
I thought his anticipation and shooting were his strongest points in the most dynamic striker performance I've seen from any of our players this season at least

I thought his anticipation and shooting were his strongest points in the most dynamic striker performance I've seen from any of our players this season at least
He certainly got found in some favourable positions… but I don’t think he made a lot of the movement (in the first half at least) that you’d get from Archer or McAtee where they force their team mates to put the ball where they want it.

The movement before he got scythed down on halfway when he was away was excellent.

But he’s a step up from Osula, Jebbison or McBurnie in that dynamic role through the middle. But Archer is better in this role, currently. Looks more natural and composed and makes much more intelligent runs

I know he’s been a massive disappointment for the money we paid but a lot of it has been out of his control. Every striker needs a run of games AS A STRIKER to find form . Hopefully he will now get this . I know I’m in the minority but I just like the kid ! I know that’s no good to anyone especially for £20m but he has always backed us and tried to be a part as much as he can . I bet no one is more jerked off than him as to how it’s gone and hope for his sake he gets a chance to prove himself and stay injury free to the end of the season , and we all know what a good pre season can do lol .
As ever UTB !

Back
Top Bottom