Brewster; I don't want to be unkind but...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm going for it was total desperation and a panic buy of the highest order. I honestly think Jebbo is better.

Al
I agree Al. Jebbo seems to have more to his game. Particularly in the area of coming deep laying it off and getting back into a scoring position. I think Wilder thought after the 1st season in PL that we had it made and he could spend on potential but when the window was closing we were in danger of getting no one and panicked. We would have been better off with no one.
Sean

There isn't any.

Some people are just disliked and will never convince people otherwise.
Truth is he came across very well in his interview. But until both MCB and Brew show us a return with some goals there is always going to be negative vibes. We spent more than EVER on 2 losers. Of course it hurts badly.

Having watched Brewster for awhile and having looked at his goals at Swansea. I have come to the conclusion that he is a one trick pony.
Most of his goals have been from first time efforts where he swings at a cross. Looks good when it comes off. But he needs lots of opportunities to get a goal.

I am surprised that as an England youth International that he doesn't have more to his game. His first touch, passing, reading of the game, ability to hold up the ball are average at best.

His best position to me seems to be up top in a two man forward line where a strong forward can create chances for him. I suspect that Slav playing him on the right hand side is to get him to improve his around game. Passing and movement etc. He needs to improve the weaker aspects of his game very quickly or be in danger of becoming anonymous. I hope he picks it up. Either to contribute enough to get us up the table or to be of interest to other clubs so we can claw back some of the money spent.

I am not sure what Wilder and the recruitment team were doing when the should have been doing analysis. They should have seen his limitations and not have fallen for Liverpools valuation.
Very small sample size but I thought his goal on Saturday was really similar to the goal he scored in the

League cup:

Blackburn:

Admittedly the one against Blackburn is much harder and shows a lovely bit of technique, but I think he's at his best when he just has to hit the thing. When he dribbles or runs on to something he never looks likely to score. Is it a lack of confidence and the result of having more time to think about shooting, or is that just his natural skills being better in some areas more than others?

Very small sample size but I thought his goal on Saturday was really similar to the goal he scored in the

League cup:

Blackburn:

Admittedly the one against Blackburn is much harder and shows a lovely bit of technique, but I think he's at his best when he just has to hit the thing. When he dribbles or runs on to something he never looks likely to score. Is it a lack of confidence and the result of having more time to think about shooting, or is that just his natural skills being better in some areas more than others?

I am not sure what the exact problem is, but when you are playing with quality underage teams who are suppling the ball to suit the striker then the other parts of the game can get ignored. Mike Forsell when he moved from Chelsea to Birmingham said after awhile that at Chelsea he was getting 4 to 5 chances a game and would score 1 or 2. At Birmingham he said he was getting just 1 in a game and he better put it away. He needed to improve his all round game to be effective.

When we're having to optimistically analyse a £20m striker's technique on the 2 goals he has scored in the twelve thousand matches he has played for us in the hope we can somehow harness his (very well hidden) talents, you know we've bought a dud.....
Mcburnie, Brewster, Berge, Mousset, Burke - big money signings. Big money signings should be able to boss matches in this league. They can't . Conclusion - they're shite. End of....

When we're having to optimistically analyse a £20m striker's technique on the 2 goals he has scored in the twelve thousand matches he has played for us in the hope we can somehow harness his (very well hidden) talents, you know we've bought a dud.....
Mcburnie, Brewster, Berge, Mousset, Burke - big money signings. Big money signings should be able to boss matches in this league. They can't . Conclusion - they're shite. End of....

I still recall the real striker performance evidenced on here of Connor Sammon away at Blackpool when we drew 0-0.

That's extremely harsh.

Unfortunately it's also extremely fair!

I still recall the real striker performance evidenced on here of Connor Sammon away at Blackpool when we drew 0-0.
Ha! Yeah... Who do you think was worse - Sammon or Higdon? And were they any worse than the current shower of shite? I would say there's not much in it. But at least they didn't average out at £15m each.

Ha! Yeah... Who do you think was worse - Sammon or Higdon? And were they any worse than the current shower of shite? I would say there's not much in it. But at least they didn't average out at £15m each.

I was having this conversation with a relative last night, I was saying at least the donkey strikers Warnock used to sign didn't cost the Earth and in some cases got us a handful of goals - Asaba, D'Jaffo. Suffo etc in respect of Sammon or Higdon and which was worse its like asking who is the worst serial killer!!!

I was having this conversation with a relative last night, I was saying at least the donkey strikers Warnock used to sign didn't cost the Earth and in some cases got us a handful of goals - Asaba, D'Jaffo. Suffo etc in respect of Sammon or Higdon and which was worse its like asking who is the worst serial killer!!!
Fuckin' 'ell! Asaba, D'jaffo, Akinbiye, Chief, Shipperley, Andy Gray, Alan Cork. And for the older forum bunnies, I give you Mick Hill, Chris Guthrie, Bobby Campbell, Simon Stainrod et al. Even (gulp) Chris Porter! All had their critics, including me. But by Christ they were better than this bunch of no-marks. I'm 63, and 6ft 5ins and last played Sunday footy in 1989, but I'm tempted to hunt through the garage for the pair of Adidas Shites that are lurking in there somewhere, and turn up at The Lane demanding that No. 9 shirt. I could score no goals just as easily as our current tossers. And I'd be much cheaper. And I've no doubt you'd find my efforts more entertaining to watch......

Sammon has been rightly considered one of our worst strikers in recent years. However, his record is marginally better than Brewster’s: 33 appearances 6 goals to 40 appearances 2 goals. Admittedly he probably played more 90 mins than Brewster but he was a lot cheaper.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

We've paid 24 million for one goal that counts for nothing. But I suppose it's better than 24 million for zero goals.
Wrong again.
We paid several millions for a striker who may well score dozens of goals for us during his career and/or may be sold for millions.

good point birch sammon and higdon were on a par with some of the dross centre forwards we had in the middle to late 70s but mcburnie and brewster at a combined cost of 43m have to be the worst value for money double signing in the 60 odd years ive been following the blades

League cup:

Blackburn:

Said this a while back,he can welly the ball but that’s about his limit.
Should let him take free kicks around the area and instead of floating em aimlessly like Nowood/Feck he could just leather em,we might even get a shot on target.

Back
Top Bottom