Board identify qualities to replace Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Mark Hammond

Reaction score
Interesting article about the qualities they are seeking for the next manager. Keeping the 3-5-2 system and have the ability to convince players not to leave this Summer.

Ok then let me think about it ................... erm, what's that bloke Chris Wilder up to at the moment?

So what was it that Chris and the Prince really fell out over then? Players wages? Lack of progress with the Training Ground upgrade? Who knows.... but one thing seems clear, there was no great shift in the way the Prince envisaged the day to day workings of the club.

Only a handful of people will know the depth and real reasons for their fallout. I do think Chris was stressed to fuck and needed a break. The death of one of his best mates completely out of the blue might have knocked him for six - I know it would have done me.

Oh if only they could kiss and make up, but alas I think we are too far down the road now. Let's give Heckingbottom our full and complete support and see where we go from here.

Kin ell, it's never boring being a blade is it 😬

"recruitment so far has been based around this 3-5-2 system"

trying striker after striker in a system that doesn't create chances suggests there might be an option to change the system to suit the players we bought, rather than the other way around

"with one name currently working in Portugal an example of how the interest has spread far and wide."

Welcome to Beautiful Downtown Bramall Lane Carlos Carvalhal o_O
As I have mentioned before, Carlos takes over and takes us straight back up whilst swfc plummet towards division 2 and the meltdown
is felt in Thailand as the swfc kit manufacturer is told Mr Chansiri has to drop the price he pays for a full kit to £1.25 whilst charging £150 in the club shop
And on NKT they all declare that its still good value for money and Mr Chansiri is pushing the club forward and this is the toughest league one in year's

More speculative articles from the Examiner. I did like reading their stuff with the Sheffield Star being shite, but over the last few weeks there has been a raise in pointless stories with no quotes or sources, which are blatantly just based on opinions from twitter or fans forums like this.

That article , written by a " Sheffield United Reporter " (didn't know we had one on the payroll) is a load of codswallop.
" Mastered the 352 system " ??? WTF does that mean.? He must be able to count to 10.?
I would be more impressed to find the Board were interested in getting a Manager who:-
a) Recognises that this is a Club deserving Premier League status.
b) Recognises that loyalty to this Club goes beyond his pay cheque, it should be in his blood.
c) Feels the passion of the fans
d) Is interested in bringing on new homegrown talent rather than going to the football supermarket and coming back with goods not fit for purpose.
e) Is committed to the cause 24 / 7.
f) Isn't frightened to tell the Board to piss off if they interfere with his football tactics.

Lets get on with it.

Interesting article about the qualities they are seeking for the next manager. Keeping the 3-5-2 system and have the ability to convince players not to leave this Summer.
Not actually too much in it really, but from my biased stand point;

A willingness to work with those youngsters
Improve the pathway from academy to first team.
The club producing homegrown players
A manager who can play fast, aggressive, attacking football

Some big scores for Eddie.

"recruitment so far has been based around this 3-5-2 system"

trying striker after striker in a system that doesn't create chances suggests there might be an option to change the system to suit the players we bought, rather than the other way around
That system created plenty of chances before we tweaked it for the PL with the players we had.
3-5-2 can be very creative, depending on the players you have, and how you set it up.
CW would have gone back to a more expansive version, so will the new guy if they stick to it.

That system created plenty of chances before we tweaked it for the PL with the players we had.
3-5-2 can be very creative, depending on the players you have, and how you set it up.
CW would have gone back to a more expansive version, so will the new guy if they stick to it.
yes it did, but the "tweak for the PL" didn't.

why only a more expansive version for the Championship? Would he have then gone back to the crap we saw this season if he managed to win promotion?

I mean, this doesn't actually say anything really, does it. Just speculating.

I'd be shocked if our next manager doesn't play with wingbacks. If someone came in and wanted to play 4-4-2 that 4 wingers we'd need to sign and we'd then have wingbacks who would be little use.

The players we have are bought for the formation (apart from Burke who heaven knows why he's here tbh!)

This is replicated down all the youth teams.

"It is not an essential requirement and the new man will not be restricted to this tactic in the future. However, the board is keen to avoid too many players leaving in the summer and want to prevent an overhaul of the squad, but acknowledge there is little room for manoeuvre due to recruitment in the past being shaped around this system."

I mean, this doesn't actually say anything really, does it. Just speculating.

I'd be shocked if our next manager doesn't play with wingbacks. If someone came in and wanted to play 4-4-2 that 4 wingers we'd need to sign and we'd then have wingbacks who would be little use.

The players we have are bought for the formation (apart from Burke who heaven knows why he's here tbh!)

This is replicated down all the youth teams.

"It is not an essential requirement and the new man will not be restricted to this tactic in the future. However, the board is keen to avoid too many players leaving in the summer and want to prevent an overhaul of the squad, but acknowledge there is little room for manoeuvre due to recruitment in the past being shaped around this system."
Yeah I agree the wingbacks are probably here to stay given bogles success this year and just generally the amount of them we have. 3-4-3 seems to be the flavour of the month formation at the moment and would still suit a lot of our players.

yes it did, but the "tweak for the PL" didn't.

why only a more expansive version for the Championship? Would he have then gone back to the crap we saw this season if he managed to win promotion?
You’ve missed the crux of the last post.
How expansive it is depends on the players we have available. If we were promoted with Lunny, Fleck and Norwood, with Bash, Egan and JoC then yes it would have been very similar.
I would suggest the idea was that better players would allow for either that formation with a 10, or a flat 3 which is far more creative than what we have.
Look at what we have?
However was in charge it’s clear the midfield is the next area for an overhaul. CW simply didn’t see the huge drop off for Fleck, Norwood, Lunny, and Enda which has left any offensive part of this formation impotent.

You’ve missed the crux of the last post.
How expansive it is depends on the players we have available. If we were promoted with Lunny, Fleck and Norwood, with Bash, Egan and JoC then yes it would have been very similar.
I would suggest the idea was that better players would allow for either that formation with a 10, or a flat 3 which is far more creative than what we have.
Look at what we have?
However was in charge it’s clear the midfield is the next area for an overhaul. CW simply didn’t see the huge drop off for Fleck, Norwood, Lunny, and Enda which has left any offensive part of this formation impotent.
Totally agree Bob

I guess my point was, if we didn't have attacking midfield intent to be able to play more expansively, and if CW wanted to, why wasn't that more of a priority transfer target than more benchwarming strikers?

It is absolutely the main priority of the new manager to address that because we've had a massive hole behind the strikers for too long

So the best choice of manager for the system we play lost out due to our lack of finance, in the premiership,
and now were going to see if a new manager playing the same system with the same lack of finance can succeed .

Sounds like a plan......... :tumbleweed:

"with one name currently working in Portugal an example of how the interest has spread far and wide."

Welcome to Beautiful Downtown Bramall Lane Carlos Carvalhal o_O
oooh shall we try and guess who?

I am going to give it a guess with:

Pako Ayestarán at Tondela - Rafa Benitez's assistant for 11 years at Valencia/Liverpool - currently working on the smallest budget in Liga Nos and find themselves mid-table, has played variants of 5-3-2 / 3-4-3 / 4-3-3 this season

Good CV but his win percentage is shocking to be honest and not sure if he even speaks english

Totally agree Bob

I guess my point was, if we didn't have attacking midfield intent to be able to play more expansively, and if CW wanted to, why wasn't that more of a priority transfer target than more benchwarming strikers?

It is absolutely the main priority of the new manager to address that because we've had a massive hole behind the strikers for too long
So my theory last close season was that our coaching staff believed that our midfield was solid defensively and had performed at the levels required for this league.
Therefore while not very creative, it was functional so they looked to bring in someone to replace Lunny with a bit more creative spark but really focused in improving the chances created from our full backs.
While we were flying last season we were creating a lot through Enda and JoC which great deliveries coming from those positions, however that dried up with Enda's lack of form, and for all Furious Georges defensive capabilities, we were lacking in chance creation from his side. Bang for buck, I think they thought upgrading with Matty Cash and Robinson would put pressure on those with the shirt to deliver or be replaced with more offensive options. We missed out on those two, but landed the Derby lads, and Bogle certainly has looked liked he would add so much more offensively in that position. Lowe hasn't stepped up as yet but he wasn't bought as a starter. Enda's form has continued to drop off the cliff and the loss of JoC has stopped the overlapping entirely.
Tactically it made sense to me if the midfielders we needed were going to be £30m plus as we didn't have that money available, buy the fullbacks at £15M, and the midfielders were already holding their own and would wait for another window or 2. Unfortunately the wheels also came off their form too.

Back
Top Bottom