BladesPod - latest episodes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You (and Four Blades) really let the players off.

Yeah we probably did to be fair. Combination of covid, other stuff on my mind and having left at 6-0 had just sapped my energy to go in two-footed, to be honest.

Anyway! The next episode is out - Roygbiv and I talk briefly about West Ham, but have a bigger discussion around Heckingbottom's future and the wider picture of the club / season, and also put our focus on a probably-must-win game with Fulham this weekend. Cheers for listening:

While I'm here, I also wrote some words about Heckingbottom for the BBC Sport website this week: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cp61y1p9x16o

And the latest edition of Women of Steel is out, asking a few big questions for SUFC Women to solve when they resume action this weekend: https://womenofsteel.substack.com/p/three-burning-questions

Yeah we probably did to be fair. Combination of covid, other stuff on my mind and having left at 6-0 had just sapped my energy to go in two-footed, to be honest.

Anyway! The next episode is out - Roygbiv and I talk briefly about West Ham, but have a bigger discussion around Heckingbottom's future and the wider picture of the club / season, and also put our focus on a probably-must-win game with Fulham this weekend. Cheers for listening:

While I'm here, I also wrote some words about Heckingbottom for the BBC Sport website this week: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cp61y1p9x16o

And the latest edition of Women of Steel is out, asking a few big questions for SUFC Women to solve when they resume action this weekend: https://womenofsteel.substack.com/p/three-burning-questions

Chuffin' 'ell!

I was hoping you'd thrown the toys out or something and weren't going to do one.

Having listened to all your pods since L1, I will now have to listen to this, as I don't have the imagination to do otherwise.

You sadistic pair!

Cheers, that was a good one. Got my hopes up for Saturday now!

Roy absolutely nails our circumstances so far this season. Absolutely sleepwalking into history repeating itself here.

Last time it was all IF only we’d not got smashed first 20 mins against wolves. IF only Lundstram would have scored that pen. IF only we beat Fulham. IF only we’d not conceded late against Leeds.

Anyone telling us to wait until the end of the window were happy to accept the very real possibility that we’d get to this point in the season without winning a game. Okay the season is still young but the confidence of the players already looks shot. I dont even think we’ve fully gelled yet, another winnable game on Saturday and we’re still not at full pelt.

Roy absolutely nails our circumstances so far this season. Absolutely sleepwalking into history repeating itself here.

Last time it was all IF only we’d not got smashed first 20 mins against wolves. IF only Lundstram would have scored that pen. IF only we beat Fulham. IF only we’d not conceded late against Leeds.

Anyone telling us to wait until the end of the window were happy to accept the very real possibility that we’d get to this point in the season without winning a game. Okay the season is still young but the confidence of the players already looks shot. I dont even think we’ve fully gelled yet, another winnable game on Saturday and we’re still not at full pelt.
It was the pregnant pause after Beans asked if he was insane that did for me. 😂

And the phrase Roygbiv was looking for is:

"You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear"

or to put it another way

"You can't polish a turd"

Superb pod. We've made it very hard for ourselves but it's far from over. We need to hope it clicks with new players/system (whilst playing in hardest league in the world...).

Ideally we beat Fulham Saturday! 🤞🤞

Just listened to the pod and it was excellent. Completely agree with the views on Hecky. The club had already written off this season before it even started so no one should really be surprised about where we are.

Hello S2, rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated, we're not done talking about this season just yet. Apologies for the lateness, both Roygbiv and I have been ill over the last week and we figured - with it being an international break - it would be best to wait until we could both spake.

Anyway, here's some thoughts on Fulham (A) and Man Utd (H). Thanks for listening!

Hello S2, rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated, we're not done talking about this season just yet. Apologies for the lateness, both Roygbiv and I have been ill over the last week and we figured - with it being an international break - it would be best to wait until we could both spake.

Anyway, here's some thoughts on Fulham (A) and Man Utd (H). Thanks for listening!

'Ill?'

Hmmm.

Rats, ship, sinking....

We'll let you off this time, but don't do it again!

Summed it up well gents and agreed on almost all fronts. I think the Covid season it was easier to put football on the back step for a few months and even jokingly say 'it didn't count' to people. Doing the same for another season will be very frustrating.

We're obviously not in the last chance saloon yet, but we'll be starting to need snookers when playing the other teams around us shortly. Assuming we get no points in the next 2, you'd say we need to beat both Wolves and Bourne at home, and potentially Burnley as well we'll be that far behind. That'll be a massive ask for a team on 1 point and nil confidence. Here's hoping we put up a decent one against Man U.

Wholeheartedly agree with the "who sells their best players before the start of the season/after getting promoted" notion. Terrible decision at the time that looks worse still every passing week.

It feels so like the COVID season and I haven’t watched a single minute. Your pod and this site are my only links but I am going to the Wolves game.

Cheers fellas. Some depressing points, yet resonated a lot. Especially these from Roy:

1. Yes, the squad is not good enough, yes we have a horrible injury list, but we can still expect better from this group of players.

2. The performances of the last few games are starting to border on unacceptable.

Depressingly difficult to argue against.

Only thing that made me smile was thinking about you guys and maybe some of the other podders enjoying the beer festival on Saturday. S’what it’s all about.

Cheers.

Cheers boys, great listen as always.

I think performances have found a gap in the Acceptable border fence, waded across the Barely-acceptable river and are currently fleeing deep into the Unacceptable undergrowth. Border patrols are helpless and the chances of the performances being repatriated are minimal.

It's not reflection on the podcast but fuck it's hard to motivate myself to press play or put it ahead of other podcasts when you slot it behind a podcast called how to survive the ice like that's going to be of any use you know you are putting it off.

The Bash injury was horrific but so was the performance. I am slightly surprised Hecky is still here unless we don't want to give a new manager man it's and arsenal up first

It's not reflection on the podcast but fuck it's hard to motivate myself to press play
I'm the opposite, I can only really chat about United with mates at the match. So when there are weeks without a pre match therapy session and therefore having to reflect on my own on the state of the team, I enjoy hearing Ben and Andrew talking about it, makes me feel not as isolated in worrying about United!

Ello all, new episode here with Roygbiv talking about the Man Utd game - where we at least tried, and did well for a half before running out of legs / viable substitutes. Cheers for listening!

Like Roygbiv I would also give us a 5% chance of survival.

Think if you put a team in the same situation as us for 20 seasons in a row.. at least one would make a great escape somehow.

Thank you. Hard work commenting on the blades when results are not going for us.

All a bit depressing really. I did interpret the excellent pinch article by Riley Roberts in a more positive way. Although his comment were bas3 on stats which is not my favourite subject, he made some good points about individual players.
My interpretation of this is based on our defensive posture applied to all players who start for us. Each of them has a good Championship background where they were deployed to best effect, playing in a more attack minded style.
Namer, McAtee, Archer and Traore were bought for their attacking qualities and ability, but have obviously been drilled into a more defensive approach, with good reason of course.

It does stifle their natural gifts and inclination to dribble and attack in a more progressive manner.

Norwood is clearly a Roberts star, is used to playing in a 3, and not as a double pivot with Souza. Norwoods best came from having Fleck and Berge outside him, with both given licence to operate further forward. There is a place for Souza but I don’t think playing so close to Norwood is it.

Ahmedhodzic referred to his remit as more defensive than attack minded. Who did not enjoy attacking contributions from him, JLT and even Egan occasionally?

Should we give players the best formation and licence to attack, or is that too much to ask in the EPL?

Have we blunted our more enjoyable attack minded format, for a failed attempt at Premier League survival?

Quite a depressing listen and yet, I couldn't disagree with anything either of you said.

Our injuries, lack of squad depth and a pathetic 1 point on the board, makes relegation almost inevitable. That might seem completely defeatist so early in the season, but I'm afraid that apart from a fairy tale, I can't see any other outcome.

I've got serious health problems at the moment, so I've only made one game this season. Thus watching from home, my view is even closer to the Covid season that Roy so unhappily recalled.

I'm really grateful you keep this going and please remember if you need any encouraging abuse, I'm here for you.

Quite a depressing listen and yet, I couldn't disagree with anything either of you said.

Our injuries, lack of squad depth and a pathetic 1 point on the board, makes relegation almost inevitable. That might seem completely defeatist so early in the season, but I'm afraid that apart from a fairy tale, I can't see any other outcome.

I've got serious health problems at the moment, so I've only made one game this season. Thus watching from home, my view is even closer to the Covid season that Roy so unhappily recalled.

I'm really grateful you keep this going and please remember if you need any encouraging abuse, I'm here for you.

Hope your health issues improve pal. It's definitely getting towards that Covid season for me on the pitch. We seem to be repeating a lot of things that we said that season

Ello all, new episode here with Roygbiv talking about the Man Utd game - where we at least tried, and did well for a half before running out of legs / viable substitutes. Cheers for listening!

Good listen ta.

Your thoughts popped a few questions and observations in my mind:

1) Also not looked at the league table in weeks. Just assume we're bottom.
2) Our players getting tired at 60 minutes. Why do ours get tired and the oppositions don't? This is a failing on the part of the club. We've played 10 games in 10 weeks. That's not a terrible schedule and the same as everyone else. Our conditioning is poor. No excuse for that.
3) Injuries. I don't know of a way of statistically analysing this so I have to rely on anecdata, but is this not related to 2 above? Also, it seems to take an inordinately long time to recover from them. Is our medical team ultra-conservative/the football management team too accepting?
4) Chance of survival cannot be more than 10%. Can't wait to get back to the championship. The Premier League is just not enjoyable, and I suspect the fans of about 14 clubs in there would have a better time at their matches one league lower.

Eyup S2,

Neither Roygbiv or I managed to see the Arsenal game and it doesn't look like there's much meaningful to be drawn from it apart from "oh look, we're still rubbish", so instead we thought - with it being SPOOKY SZN - we'd take a trip back in time to an alternate reality where several things went a little bit differently to how they did in this one...

Or you can skip all that and just get to the Wolves preview at about 19 minutes. Cheers!

Eyup S2,

Neither Roygbiv or I managed to see the Arsenal game and it doesn't look like there's much meaningful to be drawn from it apart from "oh look, we're still rubbish", so instead we thought - with it being SPOOKY SZN - we'd take a trip back in time to an alternate reality where several things went a little bit differently to how they did in this one...

Or you can skip all that and just get to the Wolves preview at about 19 minutes. Cheers!

“Roy and Beans in the Multiverse of Mardyness“

Back
Top Bottom