Blades v Boro - the run in

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not the biggest fan of this podcast but thought it worth a share as it's on topic.

Utterly painful podcast. I used to quite like it as it was mainly focused on having fans from other clubs coming on, and giving a bit more contextual insight into the championship as a whole. Whilst that's still there to some extent, the two hosts are pretty uninformed and their takes are almost completely fuelled by recency bias.

weve lost 2 very close games in which we had more shots and possession than our opponents
results could have both been draws and some would have seen nothing but doom and gloom

boros having a good spell of results but are capable of being as brittle as us

think in both games we got no help from the officials who allowed us to get bullied and pushed and man handled

Take your point to an extent, but I think you're overstating our performances in the two games.
We turned up for the first 20 mins against Middlesbrough and the first 20 mins of the second half against Millwall.
The rest of the time we were pretty woeful.
We've struggled to perform for any more than half a game for a number of weeks now.

Utterly painful podcast. I used to quite like it as it was mainly focused on having fans from other clubs coming on, and giving a bit more contextual insight into the championship as a whole. Whilst that's still there to some extent, the two hosts are pretty uninformed and their takes are almost completely fuelled by recency bias.

I stopped listening a while ago, NTT20 is a lot better. The 2nd Tier still pop up in my Twitter feed so I occasionally see their content.
However, I don't think the Boro take is particularly outrageous anymore given current trajectories.

Kine
Bit of unscientific spaffing around with a predictor sees my calculations as thus on game 45
United: P45, W26, D10, L9, 88pts, +36 GD
Boro: P45, W26, D8, L11, 86pts +27 GD
Would you take going into the final game two ahead and with better GD? We've got Birmingham away on the final day and they've got Coventry at home.
Kinell, that's just sent a reight shiver down my spine!!

Everyone will chill out a bit if Boro lose a game or 2 in the next 3 or 4 games. They can't keep winning them all.
This, and also we need to remember that every week we pick up three points from here their tails will go down as it will be another week they can’t make ground on us. Bad week at the office for us but easy to remedy - just win a game.

Given that Middlesbrough have clawed their way into sight, when there had previously been nobody in the rear view mirror, we have to hope that the players now switch on and revert to the steeliness that they had when it was required last season against QPR, Fulham and then in the second leg v Forest when we completely old-manned Forest and really should have won the tie in normal time.

Of course, when it got to the pointy-end of last season, the Middlesbrough players - many of whom are still there - and who had been beating all before them when there was no pressure, folded.

And, let’s stop buying into the stuff being put about by others that, somehow, we have a horrible run of fixtures left whilst Middlesbrough have a cake-walk.

Watford, Luton, WBA, Wigan, Cardiff, Bristol City and PNE have to come to the Lane. The only strong away team out of that lot are PNE, and United will be overwhelming favourites in every one of those games.

Meanwhile, at what point did Blackburn and Reading become good teams and really tough fixtures? They were both absolutely dire at the Lane and reading reports, tend to be poor in most of their matches. Similarly, there seems to have been points on offer for everyone (barring Middlesbrough, of course, who looked rubbish) at Sunderland - a side currently playing without strikers - in recent weeks.

Notable too that Huddersfield away is seen as difficult for us but not for Middlesbrough - as if Warnock somehow won’t know how to set up against the Middlesbrough side he assembled and won’t be desperate to scupper them.

This last week has been reminiscent of the week under Wilson when United lost to Oldham and Walsall, when our seemingly serene progress was totally thrown by - much like this week - previously steady defenders having utter brainstorms in consecutive games.

We restored normality then and a solid performance and 3 points on Saturday, will do it this time. Obviously, we don’t need a catastrophe to then hit us 3 games from the end of the season…

Blackburn’s last minute goal at WBA last week, was the first goal by an away team at the Hawthorns since we won there in October. Now, that really is a tricky fixture. Surprising then, that so many think Middlesbrough are bolted on for another 3 points this week…

I'm feeling crap about recent results and panicking somewhat too, but on sober reflection, I think with fair refereeing we'd likely have drawn both the last 2 games. When we've only played well for 15 to 20 minutes per game.
If we can get our standards and composure back to decent levels, I reckon we can recover the situation.
It's a big if though.
Hecky has his work cut out.

Middlesbrough:
34. WBA(a) - DRAW - (58)
35. Reading (h) - WIN - (61)
36. Swansea (a) - WIN - (64)
37. Stoke (h) - WIN - (67)
38. Preston (h) - 3 WIN - (70)
39. Huddersfield (a) - WIN - (73)
40. Burnley (h) - DRAW - (74)
41. Bristol (a) - DRAW - (75)
42. Norwich (h) - DRAW - (76)
43. Hull (h) - WIN - (79)
44. Luton (a) - LOSS - (79)
45. Rotherham (a) - DRAW - (80)
46. Coventry (h) - WIN - (83)

W7, D5, L1 _ points 26
Total - 83

Sheffield United:
33. Watford (h) DRAW - (62)
34. Blackburn (a) - LOSS - (62)
35. Reading (a) DRAW - (63)
36. Luton (h) - WIN - (66)
37. Sunderland (a) - DRAW - (67)
38. West Brom (h) - WIN - (70)
39. Norwich (a) - LOSS - (70)
40. Wigan (h) - WIN - (73)
41. Burnley (a) - LOSS - (73)
42. Cardiff (h) - WIN - (76)
43. Bristol C (h) - WIN - (79)
44. Huddersfield (a) - LOSS - (79)
45. Preston (h) - WIN - (82)
46. Birmingham (a) - DRAW - (83)

W6, D4, L4 _ points 22
Total - 83

Think the gap will be gone within the next 3/4 games.
We're in a bit of a spiral with a tough run of games, whilst they're riding the wave and have easier opposition that they'll continue to dispatch routinely.

Then think we'll recover and they'll be due a dip of some sort eventually and it will finish very close.
You've got Boro losing 1 game in last 13 . Not feasible mate. They are going to wobble sooner rather than later-big time.
My forecast, via an algorithm first used by Euclid in the 3rd Century. is for us to finish second on 87 points Boro on 85
QED

This, and also we need to remember that every week we pick up three points from here their tails will go down as it will be another week they can’t make ground on us. Bad week at the office for us but easy to remedy - just win a game.
I'm still massively pessimistic just based on all the shit going on around the club at the moment, it feels like the powers that be are conspiring to screw things up, however it was obvious that we'd lose some games and it's not worth shitting the bed now we have.

I do think we'll screw it up though.

You've got Boro losing 1 game in last 13 . Not feasible mate. They are going to wobble sooner rather than later-big time.
My forecast, via an algorithm first used by Euclid in the 3rd Century. is for us to finish second on 87 points Boro on 85
QED

I was working on them doing around 2 points / game, which would represent a drop-off against their recent form but still be a very strong finish.
You're probably right though, they're likely to lose more than 1 but I could easily see them winning more than 7/13 too.

I genuinely don't get the view of our fans. Yes our in game performances have slipped post WC, but we have still been worthy of all the points we've accumulated.

Boro game, even first half, they out footballed us second half. On the balance of the quality of chances though it really should have been a point a piece.

Millwall. 1st half was dreadful, one of the worst 45s of the season. Turnaround time from Wednesday night to Saturday avo absolutely did not help us. Nor did uncharacteristic mistakes from backline, that will be ironed out. We should still have drawn that game and really had the play to win it in the second half. Different result with Anel in there.

We've got 7 days off ahead of Watford. I expect us to regroup and recover. A good performance and a draw is acceptable for me. Of course a convincing win is even better! Boro will drop points when we get 3, it'll be twists and turns. But lets show some respect to the team that have been on 2 points a game since Hecky took over neigh on 60 games ago...lets get behind em' at BL and keep doing what we've been doing away from home. I think we finish on mid-high 80s and get 2nd.

I genuinely don't get the view of our fans. Yes our in game performances have slipped post WC, but we have still been worthy of all the points we've accumulated.

Boro game, even first half, they out footballed us second half. On the balance of the quality of chances though it really should have been a point a piece.

Millwall. 1st half was dreadful, one of the worst 45s of the season. Turnaround time from Wednesday night to Saturday avo absolutely did not help us. Nor did uncharacteristic mistakes from backline, that will be ironed out. We should still have drawn that game and really had the play to win it in the second half. Different result with Anel in there.

We've got 7 days off ahead of Watford. I expect us to regroup and recover. A good performance and a draw is acceptable for me. Of course a convincing win is even better! Boro will drop points when we get 3, it'll be twists and turns. But lets show some respect to the team that have been on 2 points a game since Hecky took over neigh on 60 games ago...lets get behind em' at BL and keep doing what we've been doing away from home. I think we finish on mid-high 80s and get 2nd.

I agree that we've been worth our points total but look at who we've played since the WC break.
We've now entered a run of tough games and off to a stinker. 2 played, 2 lost.
If we continue with the same players and shape the results (or lack of) will continue.
It needs a shake up.

Although we’ve looked a little abject in the recent two games we looked BRILLIANT Vs Swansea and we were all raving about it being the complete performance.

We created 29 shot/chances and 16 of them were on target = 3 goals in the last two “abject” performances…that’s not bad going and it’s what’s keeping me positive that we can spin this on its head.

Shipping goals uncharacteristically is also a problem of course. Egan & Wes need to have a look at themselves. Positionally been all wrong.

Although we’ve looked a little abject in the recent two games we looked BRILLIANT Vs Swansea and we were all raving about it being the complete performance.

We created 29 shot/chances and 16 of them were on target = 3 goals in the last two “abject” performances…that’s not bad going and it’s what’s keeping me positive that we can spin this on its head.

Shipping goals uncharacteristically is also a problem of course. Egan & Wes need to have a look at themselves. Positionally been all wrong.

The big positive is that we can change the defence. Anel & Clark can come back in and eventually Baldock & RND.
That would instantly improve things.

Not sure how we solve the midfield issue though.
Few players need to have a look at themselves in the mirror and Hecky needs to tweak the system.

Just to be clear, these are not my predictions.

This is just laying out how United and Boro performed in the earlier corresponding fixtures and to somewhat bust the myth that we haves a hard run in. We took 33 points from a possible 42 in matches already played against these teams.

Of course we are not playing fluently right now. Boro are doing well. But we need to take each game as it comes and games we have already won are a recent indicator that we are at least capable of replicating such results. They are also an indication that teams have found a way to beat Boro. It’s not as if they changed the XI entirely. The same players also retain certain weaknesses even if they hide it better right now under Carrick.

They play 4-2-3-1, in complete hindsight why didn’t we just drop Ndiaye back deeper when winning? You could outnumber the 2 midfielders 3 to 2 and deprive them of settling in the ball.
Interesting way to look at it. For United, you could argue that we haven't been playing fluently all season really so our results should be somewhere near how they have been so far.

Boro are a different beast though to the first 1/3 of the season so I'd expect them to improve significantly and set us a much more challenging total than 75. I'd guess 86/87 will be nearer the mark we'll need to hit

So often a team on a tremendous run inexplicably loses what appears to be an easy fixture. It will happen to Middlesboro sooner or later.

The big positive is that we can change the defence. Anel & Clark can come back in and eventually Baldock & RND.
That would instantly improve things.

Not sure how we solve the midfield issue though.
Few players need to have a look at themselves in the mirror and Hecky needs to tweak the system.
we solve the midfield situation by playing 1 striker and getting another body in midfield whats the point of playing 2 strikers if were outnumbered in midfield hecky needs to change tactics and quick get mcburnie up top and play berge nidaye and mcatee as the 3 behind norwood and doyle as sitters protecting the back 4 we dont need 3 centre backs especially in home games

we solve the midfield situation by playing 1 striker and getting another body in midfield whats the point of playing 2 strikers if were outnumbered in midfield hecky needs to change tactics and quick get mcburnie up top and play berge nidaye and mcatee as the 3 behind norwood and doyle as sitters protecting the back 4 we dont need 3 centre backs especially in home games

You've actually sacrificed a defender for a midfielder there.
I'm not saying that's wrong, but it is probably too late in the season for such a radical switch (4-2-3-1). I'm not sure we have the right players for a back 4.

I think we seem to struggle with the 4-3-2-1
With 3 defenders marking ine striker and one midfielder marking 3 runners
So we need to be able to change to combat it
Anel moving up to d/f alongside Norwood and matching it up in game would do that
But they would need to work on it in training as these players are so used to a back 5 it will be alien to them
Pound to a penny Watford go 4-3-2-1 Saturday

It's Boro's form that is the concern, not ours to me. We're still playing well in patches and I'm sure we'll get a decent total, but Boro have won 9/10 which is mental really. People keep saying they're due a dip, but that doesn't inspire me to be honest since they have the easier run in and in Akpom the in form striker in the league. Ndiaye has 1 in 16 as a comparison. He's still playing well overall but we need him to return to form and quick. As others have said, I think Boro will pass us very soon. Whether we can respond after remains to be seen. Yes they'll be the odd shock result but all season to be honest I am often not confident of a result. We've won so many by one goal that can go either way. Boro right now just look to be too good, but hopefully West Brom will beat them and that could rock them somewhat, especially if we beat Watford on the same day. Watford have Pedro back which worries me though.

I've just cracked open a bottle of champers as I have us to finish on 91 and Boro on 90! I was surprised that we finished on more but it has given me hope. Here's the results I predicted although some are head over heart I admit!

Boro:PointsUnited:Points
WBA(a)
1​
Watford (h)
3​
Reading (h)
3​
Blackburn (a)
1​
Swansea (a)
3​
Reading (a)
3​
Stoke (h)
3​
Luton (h)
3​
Preston (h)
3​
Sunderland (a)
0​
Huddersfield (a)
3​
West Brom (h)
1​
Burnley (h)
1​
Norwich (a)
0​
Bristol (a)
3​
Wigan (h)
3​
Norwich (h)
3​
Burnley (a)
1​
Hull (h)
3​
Cardiff (h)
3​
Luton (a)
3​
Bristol C (h)
3​
Rotherham (a)
1​
Huddersfield (h)
3​
Coventry (h)
3​
Preston (h)
3​
Birmingham (a)
3​
Total
33​
Total
30​
Total 90Total
91​

I've just cracked open a bottle of champers as I have us to finish on 91 and Boro on 90! I was surprised that we finished on more but it has given me hope. Here's the results I predicted although some are head over heart I admit!

WBA(a)
1​
Watford (h)
3​
Reading (h)
3​
Blackburn (a)
1​
Swansea (a)
3​
Reading (a)
3​
Stoke (h)
3​
Luton (h)
3​
Preston (h)
3​
Sunderland (a)
0​
Huddersfield (a)
3​
West Brom (h)
1​
Burnley (h)
1​
Norwich (a)
0​
Bristol (a)
3​
Wigan (h)
3​
Norwich (h)
3​
Burnley (a)
1​
Hull (h)
3​
Cardiff (h)
3​
Luton (a)
3​
Bristol C (h)
3​
Rotherham (a)
1​
Huddersfield (h)
3​
Coventry (h)
3​
Preston (h)
3​
Birmingham (a)
3​
Total
33​
Total
30​
Total90Total
91​
If we get 91 I'll be v surprised. Also if Boro don't lose again I'll be amazed.

Speaking to some of my Boro mates however optimistic they are they still think Boro is going to *$$# it up as usual.

WBA(a)
1​
Watford (h)
3​
Reading (h)
3​
Blackburn (a)
1​
Swansea (a)
3​
Reading (a)
3​
Stoke (h)
3​
Luton (h)
3​
Preston (h)
3​
Sunderland (a)
0​
Huddersfield (a)
3​
West Brom (h)
1​
Burnley (h)
1​
Norwich (a)
0​
Bristol (a)
3​
Wigan (h)
3​
Norwich (h)
3​
Burnley (a)
1​
Hull (h)
3​
Cardiff (h)
3​
Luton (a)
3​
Bristol C (h)
3​
Rotherham (a)
1​
Huddersfield (h)
3​
Coventry (h)
3​
Preston (h)
3​
Birmingham (a)
3​
Total
33​
Total
30​
Total90Total
91​
We'll lose more than 2 and they'll lose more than 2

Middlesbrough have taken 33 points from the last 13 games
Blades have taken 26 points from the same number.The extra game we have at Reading could prove to be vital.
As it stands Boro could get a max of 39 points from the remaing fixtures ( although unlikely).To be certain of promotion we need 36 points from 14 games! This would reduce when Middlesbrough drop points but 12 more wins and we are up

Back
Top Bottom