Blades v Boro - the run in

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

There's always the potential on Saturday we finish 7 points clear with a game in hand. Granted that's not as good as it was looking but to most fans with 13 v 12 games to go they:d snap your hand off in August.

I'm over the sulk and while I don't think performances were great last week I do think they are good enough to get us 8 or so wins I think we will need.
exactly i fancy west brom to turn boro over saturday and even if boro do get to us it will be interesting to see how they cope with that kind of pressure it might even help us to be chasing them we seem to perform better when the odds are against us

exactly i fancy west brom to turn boro over saturday and even if boro do get to us it will be interesting to see how they cope with that kind of pressure it might even help us to be chasing them we seem to perform better when the odds are against us
should listen to me guys 😂

It sounds glib but one win will settle a lot of nerves.

Beat Watford (not easy admittedly) and I'm sure we will all feel a lot better. Irrespective of the result of the WBA -Boro game that plays at the same time (which is as hard a game given WBA recent form)
So, I'm a lot happier tonight, anyone else???

Our next two games are exceptionally tough, Burnley away aside the two hardest games of the season based on Home form. Reading and Blackburn sit 4th and 3rd in the home form table.

Positive results from both of those (or even 3 points) would be a decent return.

Screenshot_20230225-184700.png

Boros game next week is against Reading as well, however it's at Home and Reading are 2nd Bottom of the away form table - so I'm not expecting any help there...

Last edited:

Thought I'd post this in here incase anyone's interested. P.S keep seeing this Oli on these podcasts, is he Sheffield Uniteds number 1 fan?! 🤣

Thought I'd post this in here incase anyone's interested. P.S keep seeing this Oli on these podcasts, is he Sheffield Uniteds number 1 fan?! 🤣

Bit of a let down he didn't give Don Goodman a rock bottom through one of the chairs at the end. Hopefully he got in at least a kidney punch as they walked off stage!

I think he's coming over quite well and reasonable to be honest. Fair play to the lad.

I thought it might be interesting to see how the eventual points total would turn out o
If results against the same opposition were replicated for the rest of the season.

Not suggesting this will happen but should give some food for thought as to what each team was capable of when they last met that same opposition.

Here's how it would look.

Current points:
United - 61 from 32
Boro - 57 from 33

Boro:
WBA(a) 1
Reading (h) 0
Swansea (a) 3
Stoke (h) 1
Preston (h) 0
Huddersfield (a) 1
Burnley (h) 0
Bristol (a) 1
Norwich (h) 3
Hull (h) 3
Luton (a) 3
Rotherham (a) 1
Coventry (h) 0
Summary - W4 D5 L4 Pts 17
Total - 74

United:
Watford (h) 0
Blackburn (a) 3
Reading (a) 3
Luton (h) 1
Sunderland (a) 3
West Brom (h) 3
Norwich (a) 1
Wigan (h) 3
Burnley (a) 3
Cardiff (h) 3
Bristol C (h) 3
Huddersfield (h) 3
Preston (h) 3
Birmingham (a) 1
Summary - W10 D3 L1 Pts 33
Total - 94

Just wanted to add a different context. There would need to be a 20 point gain by one or loss by the other on the current season results or loss of 10 by one and gain of 10 by the other etc. If we can close to replicate then they are out of it. Maximum they can get anyway would be 96 points, winning them all, and us replicating the earlier results gets us to 94 already.

So when I hear that someone has a harder set of fixtures than the other it might be worth remembering that Boro took 17 points from the same teams this very same season whilst United got almost twice as many against the opposition we will face.

This wasn't meant to be a positive or negative thread more a factual starter point to reference how we go during the run in. When we look at the thread comparing last seasons results we are not doing worse in many instances. By the same token, we would need a complete reversal of fortune against teams we have shown ourselves to be better than and likewise, so will Boro.

This picture can change very quickly. Another couple of bad results and they will be toe to toe. But if they lose away to West Brom and we beat Watford and win the game in hand, then the point lead will be 10 once more with little more than 10 or 11 to go which would surely feel insurmountable once more. This could well be the closest they get to us.
Fair play mate, this was literally 4 points off in total. If we'd have turned up vs Huddersfield you were pretty much on the money! Albeit you got the order of points wrong.

Back
Top Bottom