Blades Horrible History

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Can’t say everyone felt the same but my personal feelings towards Matthews got lost in the general dismay of the time. I must say though, hand on heart, the following season in Division 4 is still up there with the most enjoyable times I have experienced as a Blade. It was proper muck & nettles stuff, visiting some “quaint” stadiums, some great away days on the football specials, culminating with an unforgettable trip to Darlington & scenes that have been hard to match.
It’s hard to compare to today’s circus with mega-money, VAR & preening prima donnas but everything seemed so much nicer & simpler back then.
Fuckin’ hell...........those sepia tinged memories have made me feel old 😳
There was still plenty of "charm" left in the early 90s. Elm Park, Vale Park before the renovations, Victoria Ground, Edgely Park, Maine Road, the tiny stand at Norwich, Burnden Road.

They don't make them like they used to

I don't know why individual games are brought into the horrible history.

I mean some games are important, some are vital, but they are just games of football

What really defines Sheffield United are things like Glenn Cockerill's goal that hit the stanchion at the back of the net and came out, and the goal wasn't given because the ref thought it hit the post.

The Aston Villa 2 yards over the line goal that wasn't given because goal line technology failed, and because that failed VAR was not allowed to get involved, and because VAR was not allowed to get involved it meant the referee refused to make a decision, and so a huge catalogue of absolutely unbelievable fuck ups, all added together, all at the same time meant a goal wasn't given even though the entire world could see it was and didn't need any technology whatsoever to see it.

Ched Evans, put in jail and later released, but only after Sheffield United had suffered maximum damage.

The West Ham thing, could only possibly affect Sheffield United, there isn't another football club from Manchester United to Accrington Stanley that would have had to endure that.

Getting relegated to Division Four with a plus goals difference,

And this is without even touching on the club itself and the disdain it has for its own fans by short changing them for the last 50 years

The Ched season had yet more bad luck in store for us. We failed to win promotion via the play offs even though we did not concede a goal in any of our three play off matches.

Although so many to list one that hasn't been mentioned was and still is the only game I left early. Swansea City then of League 1 beating us 3-0 in the FA Cup in 3rd round in 2007. Not that I was really bothered about the cup it was the manner how they tore us a new one.

There's plenty to choose from, but what were your real punch in the gut moments of being a Blade?

1997/1998 Deane & Fjortoft being sold was a real sickener and I don't think anyone could put up a sensible argument against Greene & McDonald being short sighted, greedy bellends.

1999 Port Vale at home was a shitshow. Kozluks cross, enough said.

2003 PO Final defeat to Wolves was hard to swallow. I thought we were invincible after the season we had as well as the PO semi vs. Notts Forest. The first half was a horror show and Michael Brown missing a pen was the icing on the shitcake. Dropping McCall and Windass was unfathomable.

Scunthorpe at home 2016 was peak toxicity. I'm guessing the POTY Awards later that night wasn't much better.
Oh just stop it with that Deane and Fjortoft shit.

Back
Top Bottom