Blades Against Racism

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Mackan

Greasy Wilder
Reaction score
Hi all

With the backing of the Football Supporters Association, myself and the DB gang have started a Blades Against Racism campaign.

I have been working on diversity issues with the FSA for over a year now, which has mostly involved supporting the work and campaigns of other clubs. In that time I have been thinking about what I could do - and asking 'does anything need to be done?' - at my own club.

Timing and events have led me to think that something does need to be done. And I've outlined my thoughts on the problems of racism among Sheffield United fans here. (When I say fans, I am including myself.)

We're taking early steps by spreading the simple message of 'Blades Against Racism'. You can grab a badge/sticker bundle here - with a 50p postage charge.

But these are only the first steps. Loads of fans have contacted me with ideas and messages of support asking 'What can I do to help?' and the frank answer to that question is: 'to be confirmed'. I am posting here because I know there will be members of the S24SU community who may have missed my postings on Twitter, but will be keen to get on board as BAR progresses.

If you'd like to get involved, especially if you're from a BAME background, then let's talk about it...

... do you think racism is present in stadia?
... do you think racism is present online?
.. what can be done among the grassroots to make racists feel uncomfortable?
... how does the club fulfil its promise of 'something has to change' without alienating some fans?

Cameras and audio surveillance all over the stadium and on the terraces. So if anyone says anything racist etc they WILL be caught and prosecuted.

We are a PL club, the technology is there so there's no excuse not to do it. Every club that can afford it should.

Firmly believe that this is a Plague that has its epicentre squarely in our capital City.

Can’t be sure of this and certainly not at all suggesting that it is entirely confined to there. Just a perception I have, rightly or wrongly.

UTB

Timing and events have led me to think that something does need to be done. And I've outlined my thoughts on the problems of racism among Sheffield United fans here. (When I say fans, I am including myself.)

Saw that piece yesterday and thought it was one of the best things I’ve read in The Star for a very long time. Well done for not only writing it, but also for doing the other stuff around this issue too.

Cameras and audio surveillance all over the stadium and on the terraces. So if anyone says anything racist etc they WILL be caught and prosecuted.

We are a PL club, the technology is there so there's no excuse not to do it. Every club that can afford it should.

I think the best reason underpinning that argument is that it's stressful/scary to confront someone directly. But I also think we end up being on the other end of some 1984 measures were that the case. It's a tricky line to tread.

Firmly believe that this is a Plague that has its epicentre squarely in our capital City.

Can’t be sure of this and certainly not at all suggesting that it is entirely confined to there. Just a perception I have, rightly or wrongly.

UTB

Which plague is this. I don't follow?

Don't think we have a racism problem at the Lane, but there might be a problem with ageism. People are constantly treated differently because of their age. How about Blades against Ageism?

It's good to hear your experience suggests there isn't much of a problem. And I would suggest that, inside stadia, we are better than most.

But have you got Facebook or Twitter? If you have, I struggle to believe you haven't seen regular everyday racism posted openly and freely by our fans.

Audio surveillance on individuals throughout the stadium?

In reply:-

Not heard or seen any in years. Can remember going on Chelsea's Kop and it was like a recruiting campaign for the then NF. Coloured players these days are, apart from some minor occurrences, totally accepted.

Somewhat but you have to go to the kind of sites that foment it. Also to listen to Dianne Abbott, Corbyn and their ilk.

Tricky but the media have to stop broadcasting all the murders, violent crimes and gang warfare perpetuated by ethnic "minorities" . Then the racists wouldn't have a boat to paddle. You just look at the Police/Crime documentaries and it appears that they are the main, if not nearly all, the perpetraters.

Nothing needs to change. games are well regulated by the fans themselves.

It's good to hear your experience suggests there isn't much of a problem. And I would suggest that, inside stadia, we are better than most.

But have you got Facebook or Twitter? If you have, I struggle to believe you haven't seen regular everyday racism posted openly and freely by our fans.

Would be interesting to see the views of BAME community regulars and visitors BEFORE the rest of us chime up.

Not heard or seen any in years. Can remember going on Chelsea's Kop and it was like a recruiting campaign for the then NF. Coloured players these days are, apart from some minor occurrences, totally accepted.

Somewhat but you have to go to the kind of sites that foment it. Also to listen to Dianne Abbott, Corbyn and their ilk.

Tricky but the media have to stop broadcasting all the murders, violent crimes and gang warfare perpetuated by ethnic "minorities" . Then the racists wouldn't have a boat to paddle. You just look at the Police/Crime documentaries and it appears that they are the main, if not nearly all, the perpetraters.

So dyed in the wool racists would no longer have a cause if they didn’t hear about “ethnic crime” and “nothing needs to change”?

Wow.

Didsy got it wrong then?

I think the best reason underpinning that argument is that it's stressful/scary to confront someone directly. But I also think we end up being on the other end of some 1984 measures were that the case. It's a tricky line to tread.

Which plague is this. I don't follow?
Plague wrong word choice.

Problem.
Issue.

UTB

Nothing needs to change?!

So how do you feel about the club tweeting "something has to change"?????

I mean.... fucking hell Tony :oops:

Sorry, I more meant. What is a London issue? Racism? Or the idea that there is racism in stadia/online?
To be clear.

It would not surprise me one jot if the majority (not all) of genuine racists live in or around the London area. That a higher overall percentage of that particular population are racist.

I could be wrong !!

UTB

I haven't heard any racism at the lane since the late 90s if truth be told.

It is something that still exists though but it has been driven underground (social media) as racists are now significantly in the minority so resort to the odd comment on social media and DM as they know that if they spurted that out on the kop they would be mobbed (and rightly so)

Still I think what you are doing is admirable and needed and I wish you well. Let mw know if I can support you in anyway.

For those of us not sure as to the scale of the issue; if you use the colour of someone's skin as the first indicator when asked to describe a person therein is the problem.

Nothing needs to change?!

So how do you feel about the club tweeting "something has to change"?????
This is the BLM 'mantra' that states that white people are 'instututionally' racist, and this must change. I'm not sure I agree that racism is so bad among our fans that 'something's got to change'.

Perhaps what needs to change is making it national headline news if a knobhead posts some idiotic shit on Twitter under a false name. That only encourages them.

The last one who got caught was 12 years old, wasn't he?

So dyed in the wool racists would no longer have a cause if they didn’t hear about “ethnic crime” and “nothing needs to change”?

Wow.

Didsy got it wrong then?
No YOU got it wrong. The comment was meant sarcastically, apart from the last sentence. A lot of racism is to do with fear, about not being able to go in certain areas, seeing the violent crime records etc. My comments don't need dissecting and they are just an opinion. As for your remark about Didzy, I think you need to take a good look at yourself.

This is the BLM 'mantra' that states that white people are 'instututionally' racist, and this must change. I'm not sure I agree that racism is so bad among our fans that 'something's got to change'.

Perhaps what needs to change is making it national headline news if a knobhead posts some idiotic shit on Twitter under a false name. That only encourages them.

The last one who got caught was 12 years old, wasn't he?

So you're questioning the actions of Didzy then are you? The bloke who had the horrendous shit messaged to him because he had the temerity to score in a football match?

I mean.... fucking hell Tony :oops:
[/QUOTE]
Sorry I have a different view.

For those of us not sure as to the scale of the issue; if you use the colour of someone's skin as the first indicator when asked to describe a person therein is the problem.
I agree but white people are constantly told these days that they should differenciate between skin colour. We should atone for sins of the past by practicing 'positive discrimination' and 'acknowledging our white privilege'. It's hard to be colour blind under such circumstances.

Most of my black mates would prefer to be treated equally, not prefentially.

Hi all

With the backing of the Football Supporters Association, myself and the DB gang have started a Blades Against Racism campaign.

I have been working on diversity issues with the FSA for over a year now, which has mostly involved supporting the work and campaigns of other clubs. In that time I have been thinking about what I could do - and asking 'does anything need to be done?' - at my own club.

We're taking early steps by spreading the simple message of 'Blades Against Racism'. You can grab a badge/sticker bundle here - with a 50p postage charge.

But these are only the first steps. Loads of fans have contacted me with ideas and messages of support asking 'What can I do to help?' and the frank answer to that question is: 'to be confirmed'. I am posting here because I know there will be members of the S24SU community who may have missed my postings on Twitter, but will be keen to get on board as BAR progresses.

If you'd like to get involved, especially if you're from a BAME background, then let's talk about it...

... do you think racism is present in stadia?
... do you think racism is present online?
.. what can be done among the grassroots to make racists feel uncomfortable?
... how does the club fulfil its promise of 'something has to change' without alienating some fans?

That's an excellent article, Sam. Hits all the right notes in terms of the sorts of thoughts and phrases your average white person needs to acknowledge in order to assist change.

Badges/stickers purchased. I'll be keeping tabs on BAR's progress to see how I can get involved.

Fully agree with tackling racism of all types - although as others have said I think as a club and set of fans we are better than most (could still do more of course). I think we should keep this separate from BLM though - an organisation that many sensible, non-racist people understandably have a problem with.

So you're questioning the actions of Didzy then are you? The bloke who had the horrendous shit messaged to him because he had the temerity to score in a football match?
FFS there are 60 million plus people in this country and everyone picks up on a couple of idiotic wankers.
Plus this mantra " institutional racism " is another loadda bollox.

I haven't heard any racism at the lane since the late 90s if truth be told.

It is something that still exists though but it has been driven underground (social media) as racists are now significantly in the minority so resort to the odd comment on social media and DM as they know that if they spurted that out on the kop they would be mobbed (and rightly so)

Still I think what you are doing is admirable and needed and I wish you well. Let mw know if I can support you in anyway.

I'm sorry, but that's verging on nonsense. If you asked to fully described a fellow human being, then sex, race, age & height are perfectly legitimate characteristics, followed by any distinguishing features. As long as those characteristics are not referred to a pejorative way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom