Blades 2 Spurs 2 January 1974

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent, there was a noticeable rise in crowd noise, murmuring or just an extra buzz, but I certainly wouldn't describe it is booing. Maybe there was in isolated pockets around the ground but the microphones just picked up the extra noise really.
Cheers!

I was at a Spurs 2-2 game , thought this was it originally
they were going for promotion along with Bolton that season , did we came from 2-0 down to draw ?
Think our equalizer was a Gary Hanson special ,
wasnt that game around christmas time 78 ? and yes think we were 2 down spurs must have gone up that season while we went down

Is this the season we got spanked by Arsenal-Bolton and Sunderland 5-0,5-1 5-1 ?
we also dished out a fifer to Millwall same season ??
and Spurs and Bolton both got promoted?
think that was 3 games on trot wasnt it dublin ? we started that season so optimistically with sabella arriving then going down at cambridge with 6k blades there

Well, we weren't far from each other at all.

Depending on when my dad knocked off work at Manor Lane, depended on if we went to the match. If money was tight he'd work Satdi afternoons, but generally we'd get ten or twelve games in a season. I was around that Hatfield's hoarding when Currie smacked in the Liverpool goal and various other noteworthy matches like the Notts Forest and Huddersfield games and that really ill tempered one against Man City on my tenth birthday when Francis Lee got dismissed. The pitch was atrocious and the players covered in mud under the floodlights. But the 71 to 79 seasons were brilliant in the almost similar to now rise and fall of United.

My first kop game was the revenge drubbing of Arsenal in 1973. What a night, especially seeing Currie sitting on the ball teasing Alan Ball, because I'd seen Ball do the same the previous year, which was fucking awful.

The only match I regret missing was the 7-0 tubbing of Ipswich and the Currie West Ham game

pommpey

My dad changed jobs and worked all day Saturday from 1977. After much pestering, me and a mate were allowed to go on our own but only if we sat somewhere 'safe'.
We couldn't afford every game, as we sat in the BL upper tier.

Bus from Anston got in at 12.30 and as we were too young for pubs, we'd be banging on the turnstiles at 1.00. That was after a 30 second perusal of the 'superstore' on John Street. The players would park behind the South stand and walk round the pitch to the dressing room in the terrace (skint directors couldn't afford to finish the South stand). There'd be us and half a dozen other saddos to clap them around. That's probably when my happy clapper tendency started.

I'm happy to say I saw the 7-0 and the West Ham games in the flesh. Sadly, also all the 75/76 home games too. Starting with a creditable draw against the reigning champions, sadly proved to be the highlight.

My dad changed jobs and worked all day Saturday from 1977. After much pestering, me and a mate were allowed to go on our own but only if we sat somewhere 'safe'.
We couldn't afford every game, as we sat in the BL upper tier.

Bus from Anston got in at 12.30 and as we were too young for pubs, we'd be banging on the turnstiles at 1.00. That was after a 30 second perusal of the 'superstore' on John Street. The players would park behind the South stand and walk round the pitch to the dressing room in the terrace (skint directors couldn't afford to finish the South stand). There'd be us and half a dozen other saddos to clap them around. That's probably when my happy clapper tendency started.

I'm happy to say I saw the 7-0 and the West Ham games in the flesh. Sadly, also all the 75/76 home games too. Starting with a creditable draw against the reigning champions, sadly proved to be the highlight.

28 from the Herdings terminus or 43 from Blackstock Road. Get off at Charlotte Road and walk up to the Lane. Fuck me I feel nostalgic now. We'd be walking about 1435 and get in the ground for 1450, Lane Line Up scoured for info to be read cover to cover later at home and ready for kick off. Me dad possibly not far away from yours under the BLLT (with me Uncle Freddie) and me stood at the white railings waiting for the opening strains of 'On Ilkley Moor B'at t'at'

pommpey

Watch Len Badger in these highlights. At his peak - best right back in England at the time, but never got a callup. Bloody disgrace. To see him put in the absolute complete attacking full-back performance, see the highlights of our 3-2 win at Everton in1975......
I went to the Everton game at Goodison. Len Badger hit the bar from about 40 yards. The ball rebounded up the pitch and Everton scored to make it 2 0. We came back to win 3 2. Great team performance. Terrifying getting back to the coaches.

think that was 3 games on trot wasnt it dublin ? we started that season so optimistically with sabella arriving then going down at cambridge with 6k blades there
It was 77/78 season the season before Sabella signed. Cec Coldwell was caretaker manager & was replaced shortly afterwards by Harry Haslam! That turned out well 😕

28 from the Herdings terminus or 43 from Blackstock Road. Get off at Charlotte Road and walk up to the Lane. Fuck me I feel nostalgic now. We'd be walking about 1435 and get in the ground for 1450, Lane Line Up scoured for info to be read cover to cover later at home and ready for kick off. Me dad possibly not far away from yours under the BLLT (with me Uncle Freddie) and me stood at the white railings waiting for the opening strains of 'On Ilkley Moor B'at t'at'

pommpey
I too used to get the 28 or 43, but got on either of them where their routes joined at the Newfield Green shops near Blackstock pub. But I was earlier than that, from around 1967 to 1975 (when I got a car!). Or sometimes our mob of nippers used to walk down to the match, down East Bank Road, stopping to get some fags at the Olive Grove pub off sales. They'd serve anyone of any age there. Nowt like some Woodbines before the match when you're 10 years old.

Unfortunately I was there at Cambridge lovely sunny day ,
I think if we’d got something from there we’d only have to beat Leicester midweek
Instead think we had to beat em 9-0 or something
Yes start of the season 1-0 up v Orient soon turned to 1-2
And it was all down hill after that
Coach got a puncture on way our of Cambridge think we had to go to Luton to change it
Great day all round
FFS

Many fans would have seen the below piece in the programme that day would have been rooting for Woody to carry on scoring and were disappointed to see Eddy take the penalty

1634061786983.png

Many fans would have seen the below piece in the programme that day would have been rooting for Woody to carry on scoring and were disappointed to see Eddy take the penalty

View attachment 122700

Not a bad one though , eh ?

When Pat Jennings goes the right way and still gets well beaten , you know you’ve seen a cracking penalty .

Great to see that again..jammy equaliser for them.
I was on the Kop with my Dad and Brother.. surprised when Eddy stepped up, still felt nervous watching the video. 😊
Remember trouble outside the club shop after the game,as we were about to walk in, and the shopkeeper trapping us in the door as we tried to get in and he was trying to bolt the door.

if I remember it right Pat Jenning had a bit of an indian sign over Woody, so it made sence for him not to take the pen

Back
Top Bottom