Blades 2 Spurs 2 January 1974

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
I was surprised to find this footage. I wasnt even aware that the game was televised. I didnt get to see the game as I was back to my boarding school after the holidays so it is the first time I got to see this footage. I read that Keith Eddy got booed when taking the penalty because the Blades fans wanted Woody to take it as he was at the top of the first division goal charts at the time. Did you hear the booing? This was John Connaughton's last game for us.

I was surprised to find this footage. I wasnt even aware that the game was televised. I didnt get to see the game as I was back to my boarding school after the holidays so it is the first time I got to see this footage. I read that Keith Eddy got booed when taking the penalty because the Blades fans wanted Woody to take it as he was at the top of the first division goal charts at the time. Did you hear the booing? This was John Connaughton's last game for us.

Remember that it was a 2pm kick off because of the power shortage, floodlights weren’t allowed to be used.

I was at that match

SUFC v THFC 1974.JPG

Eddy was a surprise penalty taker, and he hadn't been with us that long either.

I remember him being quoted as feeling 'narked' by the response of the United fans at him taking the ball and placing it for the spot kick.

Their second looked like it hadn't gone in from where we were stood. It was only when their players started celebrating we got the ghist they'd equalised.

pommpey

Your dad would have been telling my dad how well we seemed to get on.

I'd have been just in front of you, trying to squeeze down to the railings.

I was usually down on the railings.

That was the only match me and him went to where we stood in 'the gap' and I stayed just in front of him, because I got such a good view.

Can remember when our second went in. We went fucking daft. Everyone was expecting Spurs to turn us over what with the superstars they had in their team, Jennings, Chivers, Perryman, Peters etc.

pommpey

Ba
Watch Len Badger in these highlights. At his peak - best right back in England at the time, but never got a callup. Bloody disgrace. To see him put in the absolute complete attacking full-back performance, see the highlights of our 3-2 win at Everton in1975......

Badger was like Baldock with extra armour on and a better footballing eye. He was involved in everything and like Hemsley, did all the messy work out wide whilst defending and then added options in the counter. He was built like a brick shithouse

And there is no fucking way Currie wasn't brought down in the box, ref.

Fucking dirty Cockney cunts.

pommpey

I was usually down on the railings.

That was the only match me and him went to where we stood in 'the gap' and I stayed just in front of him, because I got such a good view.

Can remember when our second went in. We went fucking daft. Everyone was expecting Spurs to turn us over what with the superstars they had in their team, Jennings, Chivers, Perryman, Peters etc.

pommpey

From 72/73 to 73/74 we stood under the Baramall Lane stand and I'd have been near the 'HATFIELDS' hoarding, towards the terrace. My dad, a mates dad and my uncle splashed out for our expected 'glory' season of 75/76, so three blokes and three keen young lads sat in the upper tier to witness the shitshow that unfolded.

Two cracking tackles by Badger in that clip and some nice touches from TC. The football was surprisingly neat, given how the middle of the pitch had cut up.

Some things never change though, and both their goals were from simple-to-defend set pieces.

From 72/73 to 73/74 we stood under the Baramall Lane stand and I'd have been near the 'HATFIELDS' hoarding, towards the terrace. My dad, a mates dad and my uncle splashed out for our expected 'glory' season of 75/76, so three blokes and three keen young lads sat in the upper tier to witness the shitshow that unfolded.

Two cracking tackles by Badger in that clip and some nice touches from TC. The football was surprisingly neat, given how the middle of the pitch had cut up.

Some things never change though, and both their goals were from simple-to-defend set pieces.
I agree. Considering the pitch, the touch and control by both teams was excellent. And played at a pace too. This was the spell my history of watching the Blades when we played the best, most entertaining football. And not many in the top flight were better entertainers than us. And although I loved Bassett and the way he dragged us with up with fuck all resources or backing, watch the highlights of 5-2 win at Leicester in1990. Sunny day, fantastic pissed up day out, real glory. But watch it back now, and the football is absolutely fucking shite.....

Got to hand it to you ISC that is an inspired misspelling of Bramall Lane in the best traditions of S24SU forumites. 👍

You must know Baramall Lane? It's near Eccleshall Road and where famous players like Curry and Sharpe played.

Well, we weren't far from each other at all.

Depending on when my dad knocked off work at Manor Lane, depended on if we went to the match. If money was tight he'd work Satdi afternoons, but generally we'd get ten or twelve games in a season. I was around that Hatfield's hoarding when Currie smacked in the Liverpool goal and various other noteworthy matches like the Notts Forest and Huddersfield games and that really ill tempered one against Man City on my tenth birthday when Francis Lee got dismissed. The pitch was atrocious and the players covered in mud under the floodlights. But the 71 to 79 seasons were brilliant in the almost similar to now rise and fall of United.

My first kop game was the revenge drubbing of Arsenal in 1973. What a night, especially seeing Currie sitting on the ball teasing Alan Ball, because I'd seen Ball do the same the previous year, which was fucking awful.

The only match I regret missing was the 7-0 tubbing of Ipswich and the Currie West Ham game

pommpey

I remember him being quoted as feeling 'narked' by the response of the United fans at him taking the ball and placing it for the spot kick.

pommpey
Could you hear the response from the Blades fans in the footage?

Just wondered

Could you hear the response from the Blades fans in the footage?

Just wondered

There was a certain 'buzz' as everyone (including me) expected Woody to step up and take the spot kick.

Fair play to Eddy because he slammed it past a big, capable lad like Jennings, and looked unphased by the events. Can't remember if it was a Lane Line Up or Shoot I read Eddy being 'narked' (that word always stayed with me) but everyone around me were saying and muttering they thought Woodward could be injured or something because from twelve yards he was fucking deadly. If you se the clip, professional as he is, Woody trots back after the goal and congratulates Eddy.

Forgot that was Connaugton's last game. Again, there were some choice words about their equaliser, mainly because the deflection wasn't seen from where we were stood. It just looked like a soft goal John Hope would let in.

pommpey

There was a certain 'buzz' as everyone (including me) expected Woody to step up and take the spot kick.

Fair play to Eddy because he slammed it past a big, capable lad like Jennings, and looked unphased by the events. Can't remember if it was a Lane Line Up or Shoot I read Eddy being 'narked' (that word always stayed with me) but everyone around me were saying and muttering they thought Woodward could be injured or something because from twelve yards he was fucking deadly. If you se the clip, professional as he is, Woody trots back after the goal and congratulates Eddy.

Forgot that was Connaugton's last game. Again, there were some choice words about their equaliser, mainly because the deflection wasn't seen from where we were stood. It just looked like a soft goal John Hope would let in.

pommpey
So you cant hear the "booing" from the footage?

So you cant hear the "booing" from the footage?
Silent, there was a noticeable rise in crowd noise, murmuring or just an extra buzz, but I certainly wouldn't describe it is booing. Maybe there was in isolated pockets around the ground but the microphones just picked up the extra noise really.

Thanks for posting this footage

Great memories and as has been said - Badger - awesome!

Thanks for posting this footage

Great memories and as has been said - Badger - awesome!
len badger best number 2 the club has ever had only one other player got anywhere near him vas borbokis

Not many wingers got past a Badger tackle. And if they did Colquhoun would boot them into the stand....

For many players , the one which led to our second goal would probably rate as being one of the best of their entire career .

For Len Badger it was the kind he made week in and week out , confirming the status which I and others have given him as being the best slide tackler we ever saw .

I was at a Spurs 2-2 game , thought this was it originally
they were going for promotion along with Bolton that season , did we came from 2-0 down to draw ?
Think our equalizer was a Gary Hanson special ,
At first i thought of the 2-2 draw v Spurs in our first season back in Div 1 - 71/72 season. Spurs equalised in the last minute - 2-2 seems to be a trend around that time hey

len badger best number 2 the club has ever had only one other player got anywhere near him vas borbokis
I really liked Tom Heffernan - like Vas , his debut was outstanding

I was at a Spurs 2-2 game , thought this was it originally
they were going for promotion along with Bolton that season , did we came from 2-0 down to draw ?
Think our equalizer was a Gary Hanson special ,
That was around 77 or 78. If I remember rightly Chico Hamilton turned Spurs inside out in the 2nd half.

Back
Top Bottom