Blades 0 Bournemouth 0 April 1982

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

An extremely rare off day for Keith.

Edwards was in the midst of a scoring run of 13 goals in the final 11 fixtures of the season. The Bournemouth match would be the final game in which he failed to find net that season. After this game, he scored at Bury (1), at Crewe (1), at home to Rochdale (2), home to Peterborough (2), and at Darlington (1).

The whole side was off the pace against Bournemouth. Here's the Green 'Un headline from the scrapbook...as well as how the game was summarised in the "Portrait of a Championship".

IMG_1123.JPGIMG_1124.JPG

We drew 0-0 at there gaff also , remember it as one of the 3 seaside away trips in the 4th along with Torquay & Blackpool all good days out .
You could add Hartlepool & Tranmere but prefer not to include these shit holes in the reckoning 😊

Keith Waugh was signed from Peterborough I think for £90000 start of division 4 season he was a steady enough keeper highlight of that season being a last minute penalty save at Tranmere. A few seasons later he was the Bristol City keeper when we got relegated in the play off game

So he's not related to Evelyn Woff of Brideshead fame ? :)

An extremely rare off day for Keith.

Edwards was in the midst of a scoring run of 13 goals in the final 11 fixtures of the season. The Bournemouth match would be the final game in which he failed to find net that season. After this game, he scored at Bury (1), at Crewe (1), at home to Rochdale (2), home to Peterborough (2), and at Darlington (1).

The whole side was off the pace against Bournemouth. Here's the Green 'Un headline from the scrapbook...as well as how the game was summarised in the "Portrait of a Championship".

View attachment 79392View attachment 79393

Take it the Bournemouth game would have been three days after the Peterborough 4-0 win, which perhaps explains an out of sorts performance v the Cherries, after the Lord Mayor's parade and all that.

Take it the Bournemouth game would have been three days after the Peterborough 4-0 win, which perhaps explains an out of sorts performance v the Cherries, after the Lord Mayor's parade and all that.

Yes the Peterbrough match away at their ground had been played in midweek so maybe that was why they were out of sorts against the Cherries. We played Peterborough again for our last home match of the season and won 4 nil again. If memory serves me right, I think there was 5 teams going for the 4 promotion spots (United, Bradford, Wigan, Bournemouth, and Posh). Peterborough finished 5th and missed out. Shame really as the Peterborough manager had been mouthing off about United and Edwards in the press before we played them down at their place. That went well for him. Snigger.

Yes the Peterbrough match away at their ground had been played in midweek so maybe that was why they were out of sorts against the Cherries. We played Peterborough again for our last home match of the season and won 4 nil again. If memory serves me right, I think there was 5 teams going for the 4 promotion spots (United, Bradford, Wigan, Bournemouth, and Posh). Peterborough finished 5th and missed out. Shame really as the Peterborough manager had been mouthing off about United and Edwards in the press before we played them down at their place. That went well for him. Snigger.

Lol yes he did Porterfield's team talk for him :)

Think Northampton and Hereford were the only away games where the football special train didn’t run. They were definitely on for Torquay/Bournemouth !

I didn’t miss all season (or a few seasons either side too !) . Trusson with two v late at Northampton in a 2-1 win if I remember( got in free with loads of Blades through some bushes 🤣) and 1-1 at Hereford. The latter was freezing. Remember stood on terrace first half. They opened the gates at half time for some reason. We then sneaked in their side stand to shelter from the snow.

We were terrible for most of that Northampton game.

I remember one bloke stood in front of me yelling "For f***s sake, send on Boycott".

It was a cold night and had been snowing. Might have snowed a bit during the game as well? The ground was shared with Northamptonshire cricket, so (as with Bramall Lane pre 1975-6) it had an open side. Also the area behind the one goal which housed the visiting supporters was really little more than half an end. If my memory isn't playing tricks, it comprised an open concrete terrace which didn't stretch for the whole width of the pitch.

All the goals came in the second half. Northampton deservedly took the lead and as you say we turned it around with two late Trusson goals. Seem to remember them as being virtually identical goals. Both coming from Neville crosses. When the first went in it felt like we'd got out of jail. Couldn't believe it when we got another!

I felt elated with the win, but we didn't look good and an impartial observer wouldn't have guessed that it was Northampton who were at the bottom of the league rather than us.

Last edited:
We had some bad luck on TV that season! I think MOTD saw us get battered away at Colchester.

And for some reason we were using Colchester's away kit in that match. Can't remember why.

I remember one bloke stood in front of me yelling "For f***s sake, send on Boycott".

It was a cold night and had been snowing. Might have snowed a bit during the game as well? The ground was shared with Northamptonshire cricket, so (as with Bramall Lane pre 1975-6) it had an open side. Also the area behind the one goal which housed the visiting supporters was really little more than half an end. If my memory isn't playing tricks, it comprised an open concrete terrace which didn't stretch for the whole width of the pitch.

All the goals came in the second half. Northampton deservedly took the lead and as you say we turned it around with two late Trusson goals. Seem to remember them as being virtually identical goals. Both coming from Neville crosses. When the first went in it felt like we'd got out of jail. Couldn't believe it when we got another!

I felt elated with the win, but we didn't look good and an impartial observer wouldn't have guessed that it was Northampton who were at the bottom of the league rather than us.
Both goals were at the other end an all- the floodlights weren‘t the best I remember!

I didn't go to the Northampton away game in the fourth division but do remember the evening as my dad took me to Hillsborough instead to see our reserves. They kept announcing the latest score from our game and the pig fans there were very smug for nearly all of the match. However, by the time we'd left the ground, got in the car and turned the radio on, we'd gone from 1-0 down to 2-1 win, Mick Trusson double. Bit of another double that night as well as we'd thrashed their reserves 3-1, with Stewart Evans bagging a hat-trick (he later went on to star in Wimbledon's rises through the divisions, and i think I'm right in saying without ever making a first team appearance for United).

I didn't go to the Northampton away game in the fourth division but do remember the evening as my dad took me to Hillsborough instead to see our reserves. They kept announcing the latest score from our game and the pig fans there were very smug for nearly all of the match. However, by the time we'd left the ground, got in the car and turned the radio on, we'd gone from 1-0 down to 2-1 win, Mick Trusson double. Bit of another double that night as well as we'd thrashed their reserves 3-1, with Stewart Evans bagging a hat-trick (he later went on to star in Wimbledon's rises through the divisions, and i think I'm right in saying without ever making a first team appearance for United).

Didn't he score against us at Bramall Lane in the 2-1 defeat at the end of the 1983-4 season? Another big match (in the context of the season) where we never really turned up. I had felt confident that we'd win as we'd performed pretty well even at their place earlier in the season even though we lost that one as well. Conditions were absolutely atrocious, but we played some pretty good stuff and went a goal up in the second half. We looked pretty comfortable. I think it was Alan Cork who equalised for them and then we just sort of subsided.

After that home defeat against Wimbledon, Hull were looking like they'd pip us to the third promotion place, then two days later the situation got a whole lot worse when we followed up with another defeat at Bolton. I really thought we'd blown it at that point. I think Hull were just one point behind with two games in hand. Then, miraculously, Port Vale beat them later that evening. By that time Port Vale were either already relegated or just a fraction away from relegation. Anyway, that result gave us that glimmer of hope once again.

Didn't he score against us at Bramall Lane in the 2-1 defeat at the end of the 1983-4 season? Another big match (in the context of the season) where we never really turned up. I had felt confident that we'd win as we'd performed pretty well even at their place earlier in the season even though we lost that one as well. Conditions were absolutely atrocious, but we played some pretty good stuff and went a goal up in the second half. We looked pretty comfortable. I think it was Alan Cork who equalised for them and then we just sort of subsided.

After that home defeat against Wimbledon, Hull were looking like they'd pip us to the third promotion place, then two days later the situation got a whole lot worse when we followed up with another defeat at Bolton. I really thought we'd blown it at that point. I think Hull were just one point behind with two games in hand. Then, miraculously, Port Vale beat them later that evening. By that time Port Vale were either already relegated or just a fraction away from relegation. Anyway, that result gave us that glimmer of hope once again.

Yes I think he might have scored against us. Wasn't the Wimbledon defeat on the Easter Monday, and squeezed in between the 1-0 Saturday late, late away wins at Rotherham and Southend. I think our record that season against the other 3 teams at the top was pretty poor, lost both v Wimbledon and drew and lost to Hull and Oxford. All four games v the latter two we blew it late on. At the Manor Ground we were 2-1 up deep in injury time then fanny Arnott tried playing it out of trouble instead of blasting it and they scored. At the Lane in the return game, they scored late on again when Keith Edwards did an atrocious back pass that turned into a gimme for them. Same v Hull, 1-1 going into the last ten minutes and without Stan the man at the back we fell apart to lose 4-1. And threw away another 2 points in the return game by conceding late on. Both Wimbledon games as you said we were 1-0 up and lost.

I think if we'd we'd been slightly stronger mentally and physically we could have walked away with 4 wins and 2 draws in those important games. If we'd had both Trusson and Cockerill all season, instead of one at each end of the season it would have made all the difference.

Yes I think he might have scored against us. Wasn't the Wimbledon defeat on the Easter Monday, and squeezed in between the 1-0 Saturday late, late away wins at Rotherham and Southend. I think our record that season against the other 3 teams at the top was pretty poor, lost both v Wimbledon and drew and lost to Hull and Oxford. All four games v the latter two we blew it late on. At the Manor Ground we were 2-1 up deep in injury time then fanny Arnott tried playing it out of trouble instead of blasting it and they scored. At the Lane in the return game, they scored late on again when Keith Edwards did an atrocious back pass that turned into a gimme for them. Same v Hull, 1-1 going into the last ten minutes and without Stan the man at the back we fell apart to lose 4-1. And threw away another 2 points in the return game by conceding late on. Both Wimbledon games as you said we were 1-0 up and lost.

I think if we'd we'd been slightly stronger mentally and physically we could have walked away with 4 wins and 2 draws in those important games. If we'd had both Trusson and Cockerill all season, instead of one at each end of the season it would have made all the difference.

The home game against Wimbledon was a Saturday 3PM game a week after the 1-0 win at Southend and 3 days after the Associate Members cup defeat to Hull. Although, I think that was treated as a reserve game by both sides. Bolton was the one that took place on Easter Monday. But we played in the afternoon and Hull played Port Vale in the evening. A match I fully expected them to win and pretty much ram the final nail into our promotion coffin. I was overjoyed when they lost. Funny old game. At 4-45PM I was in despair and certain we'd blown it. By 9-30PM I was elated and convinced we could still do it!

As you say, our results were poor against the sides around us in the league. In one way or another we blew all the six pointers. That match at Oxford was particularly disappointing. After a shaky start we'd played really well, overturned a 1-0 deficit and should have put the game to bed. But at 2-1 we still should have seen the game out. Just a few more seconds would have done it. In the home match against them we started off like a train and went a goal up. They gradually came back into it and did look dangerous. I think they had a goal disallowed. Can't remember whether it was before or after their equaliser. Their winner was a real sickener. Because of how it came about and because it was right at the death.

If you're implying the commentator mispronounced his name, Keith Waugh was definitely pronounced 'Woff' as opposed to Auberon and Evelyn, who were pronounced 'War'.

I must say that comes as a surprise but I'll take your word for it .

I can only ever remember pronouncing his name as 'Waw' , along with all the other Blades fans I knocked around with at the time . I know it doesn't necessarily make it right but surely we weren't the only ones ?

We had some bad luck on TV that season! I think MOTD saw us get battered away at Colchester.
Yes that was the only match I missed all season and we lost 5-2 ! It was amzing really getting battered like that considering we only lost 4 all season !

Everyone I knew pronounced it Woff 😄

I must say that comes as a surprise but I'll take your word for it .

I can only ever remember pronouncing his name as 'Waw' , along with all the other Blades fans I knocked around with at the time . I know it doesn't necessarily make it right but surely we weren't the only ones ?

And we were 3 down after about 10 mins if I recall correctly!!
Remember I was playing football Saturday morning for the boys brigade ( what a side we had but that’s another story). Got back into the car and put the radio in and couldn’t believe that we were 3 0 down.

Even as a 10 year old I still had that gut wrenching feeling in my stomach

That match was the one game my dad went to that season. He used to say "I've never seen United score."
United ran a TV ad on Yorkshire TV towards the end of the season. Typical of Brealey's ambitious, innovative thinking at the time. It featured a voice saying "UNITED, UNITED, GOAL!" alongside footage of Edwards MISSING a chance at the Kop end against Bournemouth.
Only in S2... 🤥👍🤩😊👍

Always remember that season for the last home game against Peterborough. Ground capacity about 39000 was just about near full and the "official" attendance came out as 23000. In the pub after before the crowd as known we were having an attendance bet. Everyone gave it between 33000 and 35000. Weird.
It was to be many years until United's crooked underplaying of attendances, was stopped.
Typical of the game and the criminals infesting it that a few dodgy gatemen were blamed.

It was to be many years until United's crooked underplaying of attendances, was stopped.
Typical of the game and the criminals infesting it that a few dodgy gatemen were blamed.
Heard the same that the gatemen were the fall guys.

Think Northampton and Hereford were the only away games where the football special train didn’t run. They were definitely on for Torquay/Bournemouth !

Yes they were - I was on both (A few of us youths off Lowedges playing cards for 6 hours !)

If I remember rightly the Torquay and Bournemouth away games were only a fortnight apart ?

Never seen that is that the game were there was fighting on the pitch as there seems in mini pitch invasion at the end .I went the next season when Edwards got the winner in 1- nil victory

Back
Top Bottom