Billy Sharp question

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
By my calculations, Billy Sharp has now scored for us in nine seasons in all competitions. Who was the last player to equal or better that total for us?

By my calculations, Billy Sharp has now scored for us in nine seasons in all competitions. Who was the last player to equal or better that total for us?
Keith Edwards 163 goals Jimmy Hagan122 Billy Gillespie 137 Harry Johnson 261 Derek Pace 163 Jack Pickering 111 Alf Ringstead 105 Fred Tunstall 134 Alan Woodward 175

Chris Morgan scored in seven consecutive seasons. That's pretty impressive for a defender.
Alan Woodward?
138 league goals in 14 consecutive seasons. Before my time but rightly revered

Harry Johnson played for us for 15 years and given his goalscoring record I expect he scored in each of those.

If we are not just talking about league goals, I would guess at Tony Kenworthy. He has definitely scored for us in 9 different seasons, but the 9th season goals were in friendly matches.

Last edited:
If we are not just talking about league goals, I would guess at Tony Kenworthy. He has definitely scored for us in 9 different seasons, but the 9th season goals were in friendly matches.
Kenworthy scored in the league in 8 different seasons, 1976-77 to 1983-4 inclusive.he scored in a friendly in 1984-5.

I suspect Billy Gillespie has the all time record. He scored in the league in 15 different seasons and also scored in 3 of the 4 WW1 seasons when there was no league.

Alan Woodward scored in 15 consecutive league seasons, which I am sure is a record. He scored in friendlies in his final season but not in a competitive match.

Last edited:
Chris Morgan scored in seven consecutive seasons. That's pretty impressive for a defender.

138 league goals in 14 consecutive seasons. Before my time but rightly revered

Harry Johnson played for us for 15 years and given his goalscoring record I expect he scored in each of those.
Johnson played in 12 league seasons and scored in them all. He also played in all 4 War years but only scored in 2 of them.

Alan Woodward scored for us in 14 consecutive seasons. 15 if the county cup is included.

Don't belittle Kenworthy!😊 He scored in not just one, but two friendlies in 1984-5.

Alan Woodward scored for us in 14 consecutive seasons. 15 if the county cup is included.
Yes, I made an error. He did not score in the league in 15 seasons, so Gillespie must have the record.

Up until Tuesday night he was level with Nick Montgomery, who scored league and/or cups goals for us in a total of 8 seasons (though not consecutively)

Has any of our players been sold by three different Blades managers? If Billy finishes his career elsewhere, he'd have been sold by Warnock, Blackwell and presumably CW

Has any of our players been sold by three different Blades managers? If Billy finishes his career elsewhere, he'd have been sold by Warnock, Blackwell and presumably CW

I don't think so. I think aside from Sharp only Deano has signed on a permanent basis 3 times and he retired the third time.

Having looked at this again, I suspect Jack Pickering has the record for total seasons and consecutive seasons scored in, though Gillespie and Woodward beat him in league seasons.

Pickering played a total of 3 league games in 1927 and 1928 but did not score in those, or in friendlies.

He then scored in 11 consecutive seasons in the league between 1929 and 1939.

League and Cup football then stopped for WW2. Pickering did not score in the 3 league games before the league was halted in 1939-40, but scored for us in War time league games in each of the 7 seasons football was played like that.

then on the last day of 1946-7, at age 38, he was recalled to the team for his only league appearance that season, against Stoke. Pickering scored in a 2-1 win, denying Stoke the league title (which is the closest they’ve ever come to winning it) and scoring for the 19th consecutive season.

Jack’s final Blades appearance was the following season, but he failed to score.

Considering we’ve hardly scored any league goals all season you’d think I would have remembered!
I think we've all tried to block out any memories of this season to be fair, last Tuesday aside.

I confess I did double check that it definitely was Billy, and the mins-per-goal stats are really interesting - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sheffield-united/top-scorers - it feels like Bogle has hardly played for his 2 goals but Billy's MPG rate is still 50% better than Jayden's, 125 v 196. Billy's goals have also won us 80% of this season's points tally! Both pens, yes, but you still have to stick 'em away - just ask Lundstram.

Best not to ask how many mins of pitchtime it has taken Burke and McB to score.

Scored in competitive games in 1990 and 1992-1998 inclusive - 8 seasons. He scored in a friendly in his missing year of 1991. He did not score in his first season, 1989.
He scored in the home game v Wednesday in November 1991.

Goals in the pub leagues dont count for me, only our natural home of 1st or 2nd divisions present decent defences to value goal records.

I think we've all tried to block out any memories of this season to be fair, last Tuesday aside.

I confess I did double check that it definitely was Billy, and the mins-per-goal stats are really interesting - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/sheffield-united/top-scorers - it feels like Bogle has hardly played for his 2 goals but Billy's MPG rate is still 50% better than Jayden's, 125 v 196. Billy's goals have also won us 80% of this season's points tally! Both pens, yes, but you still have to stick 'em away - just ask Lundstram.

Best not to ask how many mins of pitchtime it has taken Burke and McB to score.

I often think about that Lundstram penalty miss and wonder how our season might have shaped up had he scored.

No way of knowing either way, but it was only the second game of the season. We were down to ten men. I just have this (unprovable) feeling that if it had gone in it would have been a timely boost in a match that seemed to be going pear shaped. I would have fancied us to grind out the win, possibly even sneaking a break away second goal late on. Had we won that match I think our season would have progressed a lot more positively than it has done.

Ever since that game I've had the feeling that it could well have been one of those season turning/shaping moments.

Ah well, 'if only', 'could have', 'should have', 'just maybe', etc 😊

Back
Top Bottom