Big f off centre back

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

And there's your problem, no reasoning. You said we can't afford a dominant centre half. He's pointing out we've just chosen not to buy one and spent a lot of money elsewhere
You and Keen Blade are diverting the argument because youre original one was stupid

We cant afford a zouma type and suggesting we dont sign anyone else so we can spaff our budget on one top level player is mental

Good at putting words into people's mouth aren't you. Where have I mentioned spunking that kind of money?

Let's look at little old Luton Town shall we. Mads Anderson 6'4 ( undisclosed but from Barnsley and reckoned to be about 5m) Reece Burke 6'2.5 (free) Tom Lockyer 6'1 (free). They are big, strong and were cheap. Funnily enough they've conceded way less goals than us from crosses 🤔

You are clearly happy with our defence so let's leave it there shall we
Ignore him. Anyone with half a brain cell can see we are losing battles in the air all over the pitch. I was brought up on players like Morgan, Montgomery, Brown etc who would not allow themselves to be bullied. We need some proper Blades steel

They cost more money than we can afford
The thing is they don’t. They are cheaper than flair players.

The only chance teams have of staying in the prem is by fighting harder than the opposition. Think Stoke/Burnley. If you try and outplay them in this league you’re dead.

Mads anderson is one of the slowest defenders ive ever seen ,tom lockyer is no better than jack robinson and i must admit i dont know the other guy
None of these players are at the level of kurt zouma who was your example in your original post

I personally think we need to play trusty and i think we will defend a lot better now egan is out
Again I used Zouma as an example from yesterday's game. Most of our centre halves, particularly Egan and Basham, aren't strong enough to compete in the premier league. We have chosen to spend money elsewhere and are left with a weak as shit defence that gets bullied at every corner, free kick and ball into the box.

As a side weve never been pushed around like this before in my decadès of watching us. We need a Paul Stancliffe, Chris Morgan, JOC type of player to bring some steel to our defence

Again I used Zouma as an example from yesterday's game. Most of our centre halves, particularly Egan and Basham, aren't strong enough to compete in the premier league. We have chosen to spend money elsewhere and are left with a weak as shit defence that gets bullied at every corner, free kick and ball into the box.

As a side weve never been pushed around like this before in my decadès of watching us. We need a Paul Stancliffe, Chris Morgan, JOC type of player to bring some steel to our defence
What I’d give for a Chris Morgan again. Stancliffe was before my time but from what I’ve heard him and Bob Booker and Billy Whitehurst!

Is that a serious reply ? Have you read the post? I am asking why we haven't signed a 6ft 4in centre back who can head a ball amd not get shoved around by every attack we've played against
We've signed one at 6 foot 3 for 5million

The thing is they don’t. They are cheaper than flair players.

The only chance teams have of staying in the prem is by fighting harder than the opposition. Think Stoke/Burnley. If you try and outplay them in this league you’re dead.
Name some then ?

Yes, we're a small side which puts us at a disadvantage- as does not being very good.

Point taken we need a bit of height at the back. But more than owt we need natural defenders and leaders rather than just athletes. None of Egan, Anel or even Robbo speak much or organise well..... think of Morgan yes, but even Holdsworth and Sandford, McGrath- you don't need to be screaming and shouting to organise and communicate.

JOC loved defending you could tell. He sensed danger, he swept up, he was instinctive. None of the current crop are- I don't think it's a primed athlete we need as such, it's Jake Wright, Sandford, Holdsworth, defenders who can read the game and actually defend.

Good point by whoever said too much is expected of defenders these days, having to be good on the ball. If we realised we're actually pretty wank at that too and half the goals we're conceding are from gifting the opposition possession in our final third, that would be a start.

Have to say I thought the Sunderland lad was good against the pigs. Him who scored the first goal. A unit but could play a bit.

Name some then ?
I don’t know the championship/L1 well enough to know if there are any big strong CBs but you’re not telling me there isn’t one that plays for Preston, Ipswich, Cardiff, Hull etc who isn’t over 6ft and can head it!

I don’t know the championship/L1 well enough to know if there are any big strong CBs but you’re not telling me there isn’t one that plays for Preston, Ipswich, Cardiff, Hull etc who isn’t over 6ft and can head it!
I can name you half a dozen at sheff utd but that wasnt the criteria of the original post was it ?
Thats not wgat i was replying to and its not what we are talking about
The o.p asked for someone like kurt zouma ( the first centre half this season to get the better of mcburnie ) and i pointed out we cant afford one like him on our stingy budget

Then you dived in and a few others suggesting every one weve signed isnt good enough so we should have used the money we wasted on them to sign firstly a zouma type player but tyen downgraded that to some bang average championship players and now its just defenders over 6 ft tall who can head a ball

Im going to leave this now

I do wonder if anyone is looking at stats like "conceded from crosses", assumed "must need height", then looked at Bowen's goal yesterday and made themselves look like a tit

I do wonder if anyone is looking at stats like "conceded from crosses", assumed "must need height", then looked at Bowen's goal yesterday and made themselves look like a tit
OK so you think we've been defending corners and free kicks well do you? We will and have always conceded goals like Bowen scored yesterday.

What we haven't always done is look awful at set pieces, it used to be a strength of ours. Now look at us can't defend and no threat at the other end. As I said previously this is the weakest Blades defence aerially I can ever remember.

Outplayed OK, outfought and outmuscled has never been in our DNA...until now

We've needed a big fuck off no nonsense centre half at the back for a long time now. Apparently it's the cool thing not to have one as they all need to play a bit. That's bollocks of course as bottom line is a decent defender is there it kick and head the ball away. Maguire is a very basic defender but Man Utd recognised once that that is exactly what they needed as they were soft as shit at the back as they had overdone it with the ball playing soft as shit centre halves.

Unless Trusty is that man (and hopefully he is) we have needed this type for way too long now. Mads Anderson from Barnsley would have been ideal. They don't need to be footballers just someone with leadership who can defend and head the fucker clear. Glaringly obvious deficiency in our team and has been for far too long. Egan has been ok but even then he's not the best at this role. It shouldn't cost that much either to bring one in as they are limited in their footballing ability generally hence they are not classed as cool by the hip brigade who tend to not know their arse from their elbow and haven't worked out that football has been played for quite a while and the basic concepts of the game remain the same as they have always been.

I don't know why we signed Trusty if he can't play in the central position - he's a big lad and if he's a weakling then that's Hecky's fault - surely it's worth just one game trying him at CCB and leaving Anel & Robbo unchanged ?
If Trusty isn't better than Basham we should ask for our money back.
Surely there were some big strong CBs available without going to the extreme example of Zouma

We don’t need a huge defender whose only attribute is an ability to head the ball. They’re going to need a lot more than that. Positional sense, at least some pace and the ability to not just give the ball back to the opposition. Otherwise we might as well just stick with Egan.

The likes of Stancliffe & Morgan wouldn’t last 5 minutes in a PL side today.

OK so you think we've been defending corners and free kicks well do you? We will and have always conceded goals like Bowen scored yesterday.

I did not say that in the slightest. My point was that there's going to be clueless dicks who will just look at goals conceded from crossing stats and assume that it is automatically due to a lack of height

Back
Top Bottom