Big f off centre back

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FriethBlade

Reaction score
We've needed one of these for years and we are really paying the price this season. The reason we are conceding so many goals from crosses is we are small and weak in the middle.

This has been obvious ever since
JOC got injured ( and before) so why hasn't it been addressed?

Today was a perfect example. Zouma won everything in the air for them, McBurnie didn't get a look in. Whereas down our end Antonio consistently out muscled our defenders and every set piece they had we looked shaky and liable to concede.

How the @@@@ are we being physically out muscled by the likes of West Ham. I can take the being outplayed but when that is combined with being outmuscled and outfought what chance do we have of taking anything from a game?

We've needed one of these for years and we are really paying the price this season. The reason we are conceding so many goals from crosses is we are small and weak in the middle.

Today was a perfect example. Zouma won everything in the air for them, McBurnie didn't get a look in. Whereas down our end Antonio consistently out muscled our defenders and every set piece they had we looked shaky and liable to concede.

How the @@@@ are we being physically out muscled by the likes of West Ham. I can take the being outplayed but when that is combined with being outmuscled and outfought what chance do we have of taking anything from a game?
Is this a serious post ?
Youre asking why they have better players than us

Antonio is just really good at physical play. The problem is that large centre backs that also have pace (which at this level kills) are out of our price range. I'd rather have someone who will let them win the initial ball forward but not let them get further, than someone that if they are turned, are either conceding a goal or a red because slow

It's not really about being big though is it? Sander Berge is 6ft 5 and couldn't win a header or a scrap (I'm very much the same).
It's a lack of overall athleticism all over the pitch, just a tall cb makes no difference whatsoever to this mess.
Auston Trusty is the same height as zouma, as is Basham and Anel (he may be slightly taller actually).

I agree with the need for more physicality in our defence ( and in our midfield..). However, I couldn’t name a player that we could afford that can compete physically with Zouma (as we see week in, week out in the Premier League), and Antonio is a handful for every defence in the league on the basis of skill, speed and physicality.
First thing I asked when the line ups came out was whether either or both of them were playing, and I was amazed that they didn’t score!
The level of athleticism and physicality in the Premier League has increased dramatically in even the short space of time since we were last there, and it threatens to be our biggest area of shortfall this season.

I think the modern defender is asked to do too much. Forget getting forward and playing it about, we need a couple of lads who just head it and kick it as Warnock would say. We’ve had a few good ones over the years - Morgan, Reg Holdsworth, Rob Page. A player capable of putting in a few bad tackles. Let them know you’re their as they used to say. If Egan had left on on Antonio early on we’d see if he was still up for the fight then. It might mean getting a red card every now and again but better than being a soft touch.

Really ? we could afford 15m for Hamer and 10m for Souza and 5m for Trusty (who at the moment Hecky seems to think isn't as good as Basham)
Not only is our central defence weak but we have no cover.
Next stupid response please
So your solution is not to sign anyone else just a kurt zouma type who cost £30 m and 120 grand a week wages which is pretty much all our budget
Fucking brilliant

So your solution is not to sign anyone else just a kurt zouma type who cost £30 m and 120 grand a week wages which is pretty much all our budget
Fucking brilliant
where has anyone mentioned spending 30m? We need a commanding CB. A player who wins a lot in the air. We haven’t had one since we lost O’Connell. Can’t remember how much he was signed for but not 30m!

where has anyone mentioned spending 30m? We need a commanding CB. A player who wins a lot in the air. We haven’t had one since we lost O’Connell. Can’t remember how much he was signed for but not 30m!
He says we need a player like kurt zouma
He cost 30 m and 120 k a week
Would probably cost double that now though

He says we need a player like kurt zouma
He cost 30 m and 120 k a week
Would probably cost double that now though
He was giving an example. Nowhere did it say we needed to get that exact player. We need someone who is dominant in the air. We’ve had loads of these over the years. A typical Sheff United player in some ways.
A head it and kick it type should cost less than a flair player too so your argument is nonsense.

Good at putting words into people's mouth aren't you. Where have I mentioned spunking that kind of money?

Let's look at little old Luton Town shall we. Mads Anderson 6'4 ( undisclosed but from Barnsley and reckoned to be about 5m) Reece Burke 6'2.5 (free) Tom Lockyer 6'1 (free). They are big, strong and were cheap. Funnily enough they've conceded way less goals than us from crosses 🤔

You are clearly happy with our defence so let's leave it there shall we

You are very good at putting words into someone else's mouth aren't you?

I'm not asking for us to spend thst money. Luton Town, Mads Anderson 6'4 (undisclosed but fron Barnsley and probably no more than 5m) Reece Burke 6'2 1/2 (free)
Good at putting words into people's mouth aren't you. Where have I mentioned spunking that kind of money?

Let's look at little old Luton Town shall we. Mads Anderson 6'4 ( undisclosed but from Barnsley and reckoned to be about 5m) Reece Burke 6'2.5 (free) Tom Lockyer 6'1 (free). They are big, strong and were cheap. Funnily enough they've conceded way less goals than us from crosses 🤔

You are clearly happy with our defence so let's leave it there shall we
Mads anderson is one of the slowest defenders ive ever seen ,tom lockyer is no better than jack robinson and i must admit i dont know the other guy
None of these players are at the level of kurt zouma who was your example in your original post

I personally think we need to play trusty and i think we will defend a lot better now egan is out

Back
Top Bottom