Bettis Interview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I just sprinkle slightly different formations in different posts so I can go back to them to prove I’m right. There’s one claiming 4-4-2, growing the grass long in the corners which we hit as quickly as possible for wingers to run onto and two massive fuckers in the middle.
Glad it's not just me that's heard the rumours the women's team are adopting a different style

“We don't want any of our players to leave, simple as that. We just want to strengthen”.

Just gonna leave that there for when we sell Berge.

Not much they can do with clause he has in his contract if he does go. I'm suprised you didn't bring up the players we released

I don’t know much about Jokanovic, but he has a great reputation. My only slight worry from this interview is the transfers part. Slav doesn’t usually have any say in this, nor would he mind if he wasn’t involved? I’m a bit lost by that, but maybe this is the new way of working??
Watford and Fulham take recruitment completely out of the hands of whoever is head coach at the time.

Watford and Fulham take recruitment completely out of the hands of whoever is head coach at the time.
Do we have the skill set / resources to do this? Following from Wilder who controlled everything transfer related it would be interesting to know how our infrastructure compares to other teams that managers don’t get involved in transfers

I was told by one of the directors at the time that Charles Green was basically running the transfer and team selection process, as they considered Spackman to be too indecisive. Nice guy but not cut out to make the decisions expected of a manager was how he was described. As opposed to Charles Green who was probably the opposite.

“We don't want any of our players to leave, simple as that. We just want to strengthen”.

I am no economist but every player has a value.

If some need to be got rid, then other's need to be kept and to be told too prove their value.

Sander Berge has a value. Does that value correspond to the "Lunny role", has Berge ever been allowed to play his natural game within the team ... or was he just told too adapt to an innovative and infallible system?

The same goes for McBurnie and Brewster. At Swansea, they were both fantastic. The same can be said for Moose, he really did give us the momentum and belief in our first season back in the Premier league. Perhaps it is the case that Moose has already repaid his fee!

This is my argument... we have to keep Berge, that is unless the 35million release clause is met ... and that is a lot of money.

I remember a couple of seasons ago, Zaha wanted to leave Palace. Palace said, 'Okay, no problem, but Zaha will cost you 80 million.' The 80 million represented Zaha's insurance value to Palace, in case of relegation. Palace are still in the Premier League.

There are reasons why Slav signed up. We don't know what the details are. PA does, Slav does, Bettis does, I don't.

There's more chance of getting bitten by a lettuce than Sheffield Council doing anything that would be to our benefit. :rolleyes:

UTB & FTP
the council have to do whats good for the entire city not just a football team thats why they didn't sell the land that the pigs have their training ground on when Mandaric tried to sell it ( without knowing SWFC didnt own it)

Do we have the skill set / resources to do this? Following from Wilder who controlled everything transfer related it would be interesting to know how our infrastructure compares to other teams that managers don’t get involved in transfers
At the club no but I don’t think that’s our plan it seems to be a collaborative approach they’re suggesting a mix of the manager drawing up a profile the recruitment staff at the club drawing up a list of targets that fit that using their own experience and the contacts of United world and then the manager picking his preferred players from that list.

Cool. Are you also going to remember you’re quoting slightly out of context?

Not at all surprised there is a hold up with Sheffield City Council, not just with us but they seem to drag their feet with every proposed development in Sheffield you only have to look at the new industries around Rotherham, Barnsley and Doncaster all we have is Meadowhall and a dead city centre. Village mentality is alive and well in SCC.

Good article. Chris Wilder comes out of it ok, no one gets thrown under the bus, and it sounds like if Sheffield City Council get their act together, we are building the new academy and training grounds on the Norton Aerodrome site (as was always rumoured).
They will get round to it when they get their priority sorted first , getting the rust bucket down as a listed building !

I took that with a large pinch of salt. Seems to be a big onus on bringing through the youth players, utilising the loan market & rebalancing the books.

All suggests the net spend will have to be a negative & we're unlikely to be putting much money in for a promotion push.

Maybe it's the cynical Blade in me, but that's how I read it.

They will get round to it when they get their priority sorted first , getting the rust bucket down as a listed building !
It's a no brained for any politician, whatever their party, imagine canvassing for the next election,, we saved Hillsborough,,its political gold, career building stuff, something that can be exploited for years to come, Councillor now, MP in the future

Bettis, through his accountant's eye, admits there will be "a level of balancing the books - there's got to be, we've been relegated from the Premier League." But there is enough optimism amid the numbers for him to insist there remains in the boardroom "100 per cent commitment to keeping the core squad".

Balancing the books - so besides Berge who else will be 'balancing' the books?

Who are the core squad? Burke, Norwood, Moose?

I took that with a large pinch of salt. Seems to be a big onus on bringing through the youth players, utilising the loan market & rebalancing the books.

All suggests the net spend will have to be a negative & we're unlikely to be putting much money in for a promotion push.

Maybe it's the cynical Blade in me, but that's how I read it.
We desperately need to strengthen in midfield & possibly bring some wingers in too so we can rotate the system.

I don’t think we need to sign many players, but we were by far the worst team in the premiership so we do need to strengthen

From what I’ve heard, after saying last time that SJ was close. He’s looking at 3-4-3, new academy close to be finalised. We’ve got a very competitive budget, mix of loans and transfers. No bids yet for Berge, very excited
Any indication of a source ?

It does bode a question about transfers.

If he has a say does that mean we'll not be signing anyone until July? Given he's still employed elsewhere so we can't really/legally contact him about work without his employer's permission.

I presume, given the EUROs, that thinks will be starting later than a normal year but I was hoping we'd be sifting through the released lists and maybe tying up a couple quickly.

If he has a say does that mean we'll not be signing anyone until July? Given he's still employed elsewhere so we can't really/legally contact him about work without his employer's permission.

I presume, given the EUROs, that thinks will be starting later than a normal year but I was hoping we'd be sifting through the released lists and maybe tying up a couple quickly.
Don’t we get this every season and rarely sign anyone until late July, but still get folk wanting to know why we’re not signing anyone for weeks beforehand, clutching their pearls at how we’re behind everyone (hardly any other deals have normally been done) and how this is typical of United (it is, and typical of pretty much everyone else).
Slav will absolutely be involved and article said he was on a call last week. Transfers take time and players want to be fully aware of all the offers open to them before committing.

Last edited:
Anyone know what happened with the new first team building at the training ground ? Is that still going ahead ?

i thought slav would go for a 433 system but looking like its going to be 343 it will be very interesting to see who he plays in that front 3 and who he signs i expect at least 2 midfielders to come in and at least 1 wide striker as well probably bring about 6 in imo

Why can't we contact him about work?

Back
Top Bottom