Bettis Interview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

S40BLADE

Pete & Bas Fanatic
Reaction score

View attachment 114609
View attachment 114610
I want him to do what he thinks is best, not what our board thinks is best.

If he wants to rip the 5-3-2 up and start again, that’s what we should do.

BUT, either way. It doesn’t need to be as dull and boring as we make it, Wolves swept the division away with 5 at the back.
We definitely need more pace in the midfield and some creativity, even if we are to stick with this formation. And frankly I’d love to see us go to a 5-2-3 with 2 wingers and a 9 instead. Pick pretty much any of the strikers to play off the left cutting in, and find a gem for the right hand side. But that would mean we need 2 seriously good midfield players behind them, not Norwood and Jim Fleck.

Quite an encouraging interview I would say. A lot of sense being talked with regards to recruitment and scouting and integrating the various clubs in United world.

Also good to hear that the training ground and cat 1 development seems to be gathering a bit of momentum although spades in the ground would be more encouraging.

I think it's too soon to rip up and ignore what got us promoted, and after effectively imposing it across all age groups.
We all keep banging on about how much it cost not replacing JOC, makes more sense to do that this summer than abandon the system and buy 6/7 players, incorporate a new system and hope they all gel

BUT, either way. It doesn’t need to be as dull and boring as we make it, Wolves swept the division away with 5 at the back.
We definitely need more pace in the midfield and some creativity, even if we are to stick with this formation. And frankly I’d love to see us go to a 5-2-3 with 2 wingers and a 9 instead. Pick pretty much any of the strikers to play off the left cutting in, and find a gem for the right hand side. But that would mean we need 2 seriously good midfield players behind them, not Norwood and Jim Fleck.
Good, makes absolute common sense to keep the formation that best suits our players in principle.
It doesn't have to be the back 8 we played in Wilder's end days. It should be 3-5-2, and as Wilder himself set it up as effectively 3-4-1-2 with Duffy.
I think Slav will go with a variation on that, a double pivot at the base of midfield, full backs pushing on, and either 2 forwards dropping off a central striker or as Wilder played with Duffy.

PS. Another great interview from Kate.
All the local journos making snide digs about those getting the views of the board directly need to also do a little more internal reflection around the stuff they report.
I 100% understand that if your sources are giving you information then you report it, or course you do, it's news and really interesting. But if you put yourself too far into one camp or another your views are going to be treated with suspicion and as an attack by those you are vilifying.

PS. Another great interview from Kate.
All the local journos making snide digs about those getting the views of the board directly need to also do a little more internal reflection around the stuff they report.
I 100% understand that if your sources are giving you information then you report it, or course you do, it's news and really interesting. But if you put yourself too far into one camp or another your views are going to be treated with suspicion and as an attack by those you are

100% agree. For so long we’ve been a big club acting like a small localish team. Yes. There is importance of local news and journalism. But we’ve really ramped up our PR/Marketing/Commercials since the Prince has arrived.

Good interview I thought lots of positive messages for the future and there seems to be a real cohesive approach being developed across the United world group. As the article itself says the proof will be in the pudding but it all sounds very good.

Last edited:

It was said early on in the manager hunt that we'd wanted someone who could work with the current formation to begin with and then develop it as they want. I assume this is the kind of thing discussed before SJ took the job.

One of the concerns I think is that there's question marks over our defenders in a back four. None of them have been particularly successful outside of our five. Then there's of course the lack of wingers at the club, and the way we've set up the youth system. I'm all for Jokanovic changing things up but I do see the need for this to be done progressively.

Good, makes absolute common sense to keep the formation that best suits our players in principle.
It doesn't have to be the back 8 we played in Wilder's end days. It should be 3-5-2, and as Wilder himself set it up as effectively 3-4-1-2 with Duffy.
I think Slav will go with a variation on that, a double pivot at the base of midfield, full backs pushing on, and either 2 forwards dropping off a central striker or as Wilder played with Duffy.
would agree with most of that bob looking like were gonna play 3 at the back not 4 just think that might turn in to a 343 set up with 1 main striker and 1 either side but dropping deeper when the opposition have the ball gonna be interesting to see who he brings in to bolster midfield some physicality and pace is what we need imo

Good article. Chris Wilder comes out of it ok, no one gets thrown under the bus, and it sounds like if Sheffield City Council get their act together, we are building the new academy and training grounds on the Norton Aerodrome site (as was always rumoured).

Good article. Chris Wilder comes out of it ok, no one gets thrown under the bus, and it sounds like if Sheffield City Council get their act together, we are building the new academy and training grounds on the Norton Aerodrome site (as was always rumoured).
I was with you right up to the part about the City Council, then my optimism evaporated!

Think it makes sense to carry on with three central defenders if we want to incorporate the young un's from the u 23's

Our back three and keeper should be a solid base for the championship but the rest of the team needs a significant upgrade in athleticism and pace and 8t will be interesting g to.see who slav goes for in the window .
I'd personally love to see us play with 3-4-3 with the wing backs and wide midfielders all having pace but I appreciate that won't happen overnight

It's the way a successful club and academy should be run, have a style/system running through it. I know the standard of player is different but Ajax and Barcelona have this running through the whole youth ages. I do think SJ will change it a little bit, either 3412 or 343 but I agree with the idea of keeping the continuety.

There's more chance of getting bitten by a lettuce than Sheffield Council doing anything that would be to our benefit. :rolleyes:

UTB & FTP

I would suspect from the details we've been given previously by PageHallBlade, that it's more than just purchasing that land.
A deal would need to be done to correct the discount at which the council got the land from the government.

I joke. Good article that, Bettis has always come across well, and 👏👏 again to Kate Burlaga. Always nice to have a Blade on the inside.

All this. Bettis was getting some ridiculous stick last season, but absolutely everyone who has worked with him praises him.

I think it was a misstep with Hecky (i.e. the whole press release thing), but I think it was a rare lapse in judgement.

I would suspect from the details we've been given previously by PageHallBlade, that it's more than just purchasing that land.
A deal would need to be done to correct the discount at which the council got the land from the government.
And a statement from the club, that the site will be Nuclear free, will be named after Nelson Mandela, and David,Blunkett will cut the ribbon on opening day, with safety scissors of course

Completing the facility at norton would really solidify us as a cut above local competition in terms of attracting young players and would secure the future of the club for the medium term. If it does happen I’ll be very grateful to the prince and the current board.

Completing the facility at norton would really solidify us as a cut above local competition in terms of attracting young players and would secure the future of the club for the medium term. If it does happen I’ll be very grateful to the prince and the current board.
Not to mention a few of them have already identified it as a possible site for their new ground, despite having zero money

Not to mention a few of them have already identified it as a possible site for their new ground, despite having zero money
Yeah well the truth can be hard for them. With the transport links that site has it could really be a jewel in the crown for the club.

It doesn't border Barnsley, so it's a no-go.

Really hope we can crack on with this ASAP though. As others have said, it'd be a huge development for the future of the club (more so than expanding the ground IMO).

Yeah well the truth can be hard for them. With the transport links that site has it could really be a jewel in the crown for the club.
Huge potential as said previously, really do get the feeling that there is a well thought out plan, United world etc and not just partnerships with teams that happened to own some land they wanted to develop

Back
Top Bottom