Best way to compare this season and 1975-76

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
We played 42 league games in 1975-76 season and 38 this season so I think the best way for us to compare the seasons is to remove our 1975-76 matches against Burnley (finished 21st) and Wolves (20th). Against Burnley we beat them 2-1, lost 3-1 away. Against Wolves we lost 4-1 at home and 5-1 away

Against the top 19 in 1975-76 our record were P38 W5 D10 L23 F28 A68 2 points for a win = 20 3 points for a win = 25

So far this season our record is P34 W5 D2 L27 F18 A60 2 points for a win = 12 3 points for a win = 18

This season we have matched our number of wins in 1975-76 but the number of losses is much worse than in 1975-76. With 4 games to play and with us even more disorganised at the back also playing worse football than we did under Wilder I cant see us getting more goals or getting more points than in 1975-76 also there is a danger of conceding more than 68 goals in total this season.

We played 42 league games in 1975-76 season and 38 this season so I think the best way for us to compare the seasons is to remove our 1975-76 matches against Burnley (finished 21st) and Wolves (20th). Against Burnley we beat them 2-1, lost 3-1 away. Against Wolves we lost 4-1 at home and 5-1 away

Against the top 19 in 1975-76 our record were P38 W5 D10 L23 F28 A68 2 points for a win = 20 3 points for a win = 25

So far this season our record is P34 W5 D2 L27 F18 A60 2 points for a win = 12 3 points for a win = 18

This season we have matched our number of wins in 1975-76 but the number of losses is much worse than in 1975-76. With 4 games to play and with us even more disorganised at the back also playing worse football than we did under Wilder I cant see us getting more goals or getting more points than in 1975-76 also there is a danger of conceding more than 68 goals in total this season.
At least if this was happening in the 70’s we’d not have the option of TV matches.

I understand that Len Badger, when asked what went wrong in 1975-76 compared to 1974-75 said something along the lines of:

We were slightly lucky in 1974-75. We won some games that we probably should not have won. However, we were bringing in lower league players and if you do that then that is where you will end up.

Suggest history is repeating itself.

Think it's worth relating the huge financial disparities between clubs then and clubs now
We were destroyed yesterday by two players Son and Bale who earn more a week than our entire squad. We needed all our first choice squad just to compete.
Using stand ins that are no where near as adequate in the prem is our downfall.
They are decent championship players but it of prem status
Our headline buys have been disastrous
But we have decent championship level players

Pedantic I know, but we only have 17 points not 18!

I had a season ticket in the BLUT for 75/76 and a season ticket in front of the box for this one.

This season has stirred memories of 75/76. It's the first time since then that there's been the stench of abject hopelessness, and a realisation that we are effectively playing in a division beyond our abilities.

Watching us chasing Son and Bale around last Sunday wasn't much fun. It reminded me of the pity in the eyes of away supporters when talking to us in the BLUT in 75/76,often sat side by side, prior to dismantling players playing above their level ( Chris Guthrie) and legends whose time was up (Eddie Colquhoun).

We stunk the place out in 75/76 and I think the club as a whole went on a PTSD journey, before PTSD was talked about.

We can only hope that history ain't about to be repeating itself. The parallels are there.

Fucking hell - this managerial appointment better be good.

I also had a season ticket in the BLUT in 75/76 and would echo almost all your post.

However, a team with Currie and Woodward in it couldn't help but contain a (bit of a) goalscoring threat. And pass the ball forward on occasion.

When the current lot score (or even try to) it's a pleasant surprise.

Actually, it's a surprise when they manage to pass the ball to each other.

I had a season ticket in the BLUT for 75/76 and a season ticket in front of the box for this one.
75/76 was a real shock to the system; I’d only known good times up until then and Guthrie was to be only the first of many signings that didn’t work out. In Gary Armstrong’s biography of SUFC Ken Furphy is quoted as saying that it was the Chairman that signed him; we’ve heard that excuse a few times down the years!

To be fair Guthrie did score a few that season (well into double figures I think) so he would probably be worth millions in today’s market.

75/76 was a real shock to the system; I’d only known good times up until then and Guthrie was to be only the first of many signings that didn’t work out. In Gary Armstrong’s biography of SUFC Ken Furphy is quoted as saying that it was the Chairman that signed him; we’ve heard that excuse a few times down the years!

To be fair Guthrie did score a few that season (well into double figures I think) so he would probably be worth millions in today’s market.
problem was guthrie was garbage and we changed our game to accomodate him just slinging long balls up to him

As many will know - I have been comparing the 74-76 seasons with 19-21 by taking our results against the top 19 teams in each season, and converting to 3 points for a win. The similarity is quite striking. Having lived through both periods, it seems to me that a group of players and managers can only overachieve for a while, but then they start to believe that they are better than they really are and lose the thing that got them there - the drive of the underdog. The lack of any depth of quality in the team then becomes glaringly obvious - and a vicious circle of fear and insecurity leading to losses and hence more fear and insecurity sets in.

Magic grows from humility, but is destroyed by arrogance.

Deja Vu.jpg

the best way t compare this season to 75/76 is not to bother!

Silent, was the 1-4 defeat to Wolves that season, the game where we were 0-4 down before half time ?? We were absolutely terrible that match, if I remember - from the EDS pen ! 😆

yeah think we were 2 down when jimmy scored awful depressing season after going so close to europe the season before if only for once our board had shown some ambition and added 2 quality players to the squad we would have been fine but who did they sign but chris f*****g guthrie 😳😳😳

In 75/76 ten year old Me had a season in the newly opened South Stand. First game we drew 1-1 with Champions Derby County. TC and Colquhoun were both suspended and Jim brown saved a penalty so it felt like a good result.
Tuesday after that our other centre half dislocated his shoulder and 10 man Arsenal beat us 3-1.
Then ManU hammered us 5-1 and we lost the next three without scoring.
My Grandad said then that we were going to be relegated and I believed everything he told me. The rest of the season felt like torture.
Despite our start this season we were actually twelve games in before I felt we'd had it so it wasn't quite as soul-destroying this time round. Also I'm the old bloke now so I'm used to the suffering that Blades inflict on us.
The only difference I can see is that we came good once relegation was confirmed in '76 whereas this time I think we look much worse now than we did earlier in the season.

yeah think we were 2 down when jimmy scored awful depressing season after going so close to europe the season before if only for once our board had shown some ambition and added 2 quality players to the squad we would have been fine but who did they sign but chris f*****g guthrie 😳😳😳

Hadn't Furphy shook on a deal for Franny Lee for £50k only for the board to turn it down, who then turned around and splashed £90k on big Chris Guthrie.

This season has stirred memories of 75/76. It's the first time since then that there's been the stench of abject hopelessness, and a realisation that we are effectively playing in a division beyond our abilities.

Watching us chasing Son and Bale around last Sunday wasn't much fun. It reminded me of the pity in the eyes of away supporters when talking to us in the BLUT in 75/76,often sat side by side, prior to dismantling players playing above their level ( Chris Guthrie) and legends whose time was up (Eddie Colquhoun).

We stunk the place out in 75/76 and I think the club as a whole went on a PTSD journey, before PTSD was talked about.

We can only hope that history ain't about to be repeating itself. The parallels are there.

Fucking hell - this managerial appointment better be good.

I think there were a number of reasons for the decline in the late 70s / early 80s. The South Stand debt was one (can you believe 20 years later the board was still claiming poverty and bleating about that debt!), another was the disaster that was the Sloppy Harry era. Early summer 1978 the club had some excellent youngsters in Edwards, Stainrod, Kenworthy, Hamson, Adams, Varadi, and Benjamin, within a year all bar Kenworthy had gone to be replaced by a lot ageing garbage. Haslam had actually managed to get the board to loosen the purse strings in 78/89 season, if he'd built sensibly around those players we could have had a team to go places instead he landed us in the fourth tier.

You're right this next appointment has to be spot on. As much as I don't like Warnock he's the one that would steady the ship, perhaps even getting us mounting a promotion challenge. He'll inherit a lot of Warnock type players (re attitude) and he'll not let them have a feeling sorry for themselves carry over from this season.

Back
Top Bottom