Best Runners Up in “Championship” history based on points total?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Very odd league this season for me. I don't feel 10 points better than the rest of it (bar Burnley). Watford for instance have failed miserably, but I would take half their side given the chance and we're approaching 30 points better than them.

Maybe I'm underestimating the talent in our squad.

It’s us if we win our last two matches and reach 94 points.
Burnley (2013/14) and Brighton (2016/17) both finished on 93 points.

I’m not show how we would compare with previous second tier teams pre the 2004 rebranding.

Quality stat.

We are currently top of the 6-match and 10-match form tables as well which is funny as it doesn't seem that long ago we were having a wobble.

I’m not show how we would compare with previous second tier teams pre the 2004 rebranding.

The second tier first had 46 games in 1988-9. Burnley and Brighton’s 93 points is best for runners up in all that time.

Very odd league this season for me. I don't feel 10 points better than the rest of it (bar Burnley). Watford for instance have failed miserably, but I would take half their side given the chance and we're approaching 30 points better than them.

Maybe I'm underestimating the talent in our
Maybe our talent forms a better team

I certainly didn't feel it after Luton. But the way the team have got result since then, whilst Boro and Luton have stumbled, makes me think we probably are that much better...

I certainly didn't feel it after Luton. But the way the team have got result since then, whilst Boro and Luton have stumbled, makes me think we probably are that much better...
Yeah, it's crazy init. We have had a few wobbles but I keep thinking of the dropped points in those two poor runs, against Rotherham etc. but in reality it could also be argued we won points as well that might have been a bit fortunate, but it has been remarkable and with all the injuries it could be argued we could, maybe, should, have been closer to Burnley than we actually are.

I've always been of the belief that we'd have comfortably won the league if it wasn't for our horrendous injury record. Nobody has played football anywhere close to United's August- October quality when the injuries really started to bite, or the back end of this season when we'd got players back firing on all cylinders.

Factor in some cup inspired fixture congestion and we haven't had it easy. It's been fire fighting a lot of the time.

Blackburn got 94 in 2000/01 which I think was the highest since it went to 3 points per game in 81/82, so we could equal that as well. Their GD was +39 and goals scored 78, we could potentially beat that as well and go "above" them.

Blackburn got 94 in 2000/01 which I think was the highest since it went to 3 points per game in 81/82, so we could equal that as well. Their GD was +39 and goals scored 78, we could potentially beat that as well and go "above" them.
No, they got 91 points. 93 is the record.

No, they got 91 points. 93 is the record.
Yes seems you're right. Not sure where I got it from now but I have a printout of the table for that season that shows different (and impossible) away record (W12 D8 L4) - strange.

Mind you I have heard that the shircliffe sinper, once known as Dick Dasturdly is snooping around.

I think people underestimate us in a few ways. One is that just because the teams are condensed in the middle doesn't mean it's because they're bad. Like you said, the talent in Watford's side is great (Wilder's rant about them not being a team was spot on, even if he took some flak for it). But certainly people underestimate the talent we have. I've been sick to death of people talking about us being bruisers when we play a midfield of Doyle, McAtee, and Berge. Out of those, Doyle puts his foot in but he's a class footballer. Of the other two, who in this division wouldn't want Berge or McAtee for their ability on the ball? They aren't in there to be dirty. Even with Norwood being phased out of late, there's not a better passer of the ball in the division. At the back, Anel is the signing of the season. Absolute class defender and looks like a striker when he gets in the box. Have you seen a more solid wing back than Baldock? Anyone with more tricks coming forward than Bogle? Egan proved himself in the Prem to my mind. It's a fucking miracle we even still have Ndiaye, and any other Championship side would've dreamed of having him this year.

We've won one game fewer than Burnley, the rest are draws, and we've done it while ravaged by injuries. RND out after hitting form, Bogle in and out, McBurnie in and out, Jebbison would've had more time on the pitch, Doyle and McAtee have had to be protected, the list goes on. If we'd not had that to deal with, who's to say we couldn't have scraped a few more draws and been right up behind Burnley that everyone raves about?

Not really meaning to aim that rant at you, mate, it's been building for a while.

I've always been of the belief that we'd have comfortably won the league if it wasn't for our horrendous injury record. Nobody has played football anywhere close to United's August- October quality when the injuries really started to bite, or the back end of this season when we'd got players back firing on all cylinders.

Factor in some cup inspired fixture congestion and we haven't had it easy. It's been fire fighting a lot of the time.
All the more reason now we have the EPL money to spend some of it on infrastructure at Shirecliffe. Upgrading facilities and post injury recovery and medical services is a must. No matter how much we spend on players they are no good to us sat on the treatment table for longer than they should be. Should be item number 2 after players contracts on the owners list imo but I doubt that it will be.

All the more reason now we have the EPL money to spend some of it on infrastructure at Shirecliffe. Upgrading facilities and post injury recovery and medical services is a must. No matter how much we spend on players they are no good to us sat on the treatment table for longer than they should be. Should be item number 2 after players contracts on the owners list imo but I doubt that it will be.
100% agree, if there is money to be spent after we’ve paid off debts and renewed contracts etc, spending it on the ground and infrastructure will benefit us all for the long term. UTB

I think people underestimate us in a few ways. One is that just because the teams are condensed in the middle doesn't mean it's because they're bad. Like you said, the talent in Watford's side is great (Wilder's rant about them not being a team was spot on, even if he took some flak for it). But certainly people underestimate the talent we have. I've been sick to death of people talking about us being bruisers when we play a midfield of Doyle, McAtee, and Berge. Out of those, Doyle puts his foot in but he's a class footballer. Of the other two, who in this division wouldn't want Berge or McAtee for their ability on the ball? They aren't in there to be dirty. Even with Norwood being phased out of late, there's not a better passer of the ball in the division. At the back, Anel is the signing of the season. Absolute class defender and looks like a striker when he gets in the box. Have you seen a more solid wing back than Baldock? Anyone with more tricks coming forward than Bogle? Egan proved himself in the Prem to my mind. It's a fucking miracle we even still have Ndiaye, and any other Championship side would've dreamed of having him this year.

We've won one game fewer than Burnley, the rest are draws, and we've done it while ravaged by injuries. RND out after hitting form, Bogle in and out, McBurnie in and out, Jebbison would've had more time on the pitch, Doyle and McAtee have had to be protected, the list goes on. If we'd not had that to deal with, who's to say we couldn't have scraped a few more draws and been right up behind Burnley that everyone raves about?

Not really meaning to aim that rant at you, mate, it's been building for a while.
Every year people say “it’s a shit league this year”. It’s not, the standard of the division as a whole doesn’t really fluctuate. If anything there has been a gradual upward trend in quality that means the Champ is Europe’s 5th best league. What happens in the Championship is anybody can be beat anyone on their day which leads to inconsistency.

Fans who are down on their team pick up on the fact that there aren’t many points separating teams from mid table to the play off places and in their frustration claim it’s a shit league and if only they could find a bit of form they’d be doing much better. For some reason our fans have been down on our side for most of the season and put our wins down to other teams being poor.

Will be the same next year ad infinitum.

Ive been impressed with how well coached teams look in comparison to old school up and at em teams like say ...sheffield wednesday and their 80's revival hoofball

The second tier first had 46 games in 1988-9. Burnley and Brighton’s 93 points is best for runners up in all that time.

If we make it to 94 points, then we'll be on 2.043478261 points per game for the season. So the next step would be to calculate points per game achieved by second-placed sides for pre-'88 seasons; and to take it further, then adjust pre-'81 tables allocating 3 points for a win then calculate PPG to find out just how far back our record goes.
(no I'm not ashamed of finding this shit weirdly enjoyable)

The second tier has had 9 different configurations in terms of points for a win and games played. The best runners up in each system, adjusting for 3 points for a win, are as follows:

1989 to present: 46 games, 3 points for a win. Best: 93 points (2.02 per game), Burnley 2014 and Brighton 2017.
1988 44 games, 3 points for a win. Best: 78 points (1.77 per game) Aston Villa 1988
1982 to 1987: 42 games, 3 points for a win. best: 88 points (2.10 per game) Wednesday 1984.
1920 to 1981: 42 games, 2 points for a win. Best: 64 points (92 points by 3 for a win, 2.19 per game) Huddersfield 1920
1906 to 1915: 38 games, 2 points for a win. Best: 62 points (90 points by 3 for a win, 2.37 per game) Man Utd 1906
1899 to 1905: 34 games, 2 points for a win. Best: 56 points (83 points by 3 for a win, 2.44 per game) Bolton 1905
1895 to 1898: 30 games, 2 for a win. Best: 46 points (67 points by 3 for a win, 2.23 per game) Man City 1896:
1894: 28 games, 2 points for a win. best: 42 points (63 points by 3 for a win, 2.25 per game) Small Heath (now Birmingham City) 1894
1893: 22 games, 2 points for a win. Best: 35 points (51 points by 3 for a win, 2.31 per game) Sheffield United 1893

So Bolton Wanderers have the best runners up record of all time, from their 1904-5 season. They won 27 games, drew 2 and lost 5. Champions Liverpool got 2 more points (W27 D4 L3).

Every year people say “it’s a shit league this year”. It’s not, the standard of the division as a whole doesn’t really fluctuate. If anything there has been a gradual upward trend in quality that means the Champ is Europe’s 5th best league. What happens in the Championship is anybody can be beat anyone on their day which leads to inconsistency.

Fans who are down on their team pick up on the fact that there aren’t many points separating teams from mid table to the play off places and in their frustration claim it’s a shit league and if only they could find a bit of form they’d be doing much better. For some reason our fans have been down on our side for most of the season and put our wins down to other teams being poor.

Will be the same next year ad infinitum.
Spoke to a Luton fan who was saying how in spite of them being up and around the play-offs for two seasons people still say they won't last and that it's a poor division if Luton are up there. Basically, people just don't think a team like Luton could be any good and won't put bias aside. Same way it doesn't matter how much good football we play, everyone still calls us a bunch of cloggers.

Vincent Kompany wins 28 games and they're one of the best of all time. Heckingbottom wins 27 and it must be a shit division.

Back
Top Bottom