Berge

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Berge was a great player the problem was we knew his best position but refused to play him there, everyone could see that he was great player running forward with the ball & getting in the box. so what did we do. we played him in the holding role & then call him crap. in the same way you dont play long balls to a 5ft 2 forward & ask him to win headers

i can be upset at ndiaye but i cant with Berge because i feel like i know Berge enough to this is not his decision. this is because of our financial situation, as im no ITK & i could be talking rubbish as next 3 weeks might prove me wrong, but i believe someone at that club has being playing down our debts, as i was lead to believe we up to our waist in debt about 50/60m when we are actually up to neck in it & it could be in excess of 100m. as it would explain why we cant get a serious investor despite being extremely desirable & why we are only spending money from the fees we've brought in
Yep. Told ya 😉.

He has played 90% of the time at RCM for us so perhaps you don’t go to games !?

Let’s see where Kompany plays him. Shall we ?

And forget where he came from completely !!

UTB

He has played 90% of the time at RCM for us so perhaps you don’t go to games !?

Let’s see where Kompany plays him. Shall we ?

And forget where he came from completely !!
yes he was in RCM but besides few games last year & the end of the hecky 1st season. he had to stay back & just because you signed someone from a club, you trust your eyes & play him to the strengths & the successes you see. otherwise wenger might as well have left henry as a winger & Redknapp with Bale as left back, or Man city Keep kompany in the Central Midfield

& by the way you forgot rule no 1, never ever say that people dont go to the football. because it only starts a fight & their no humble way to say that your about to embark your 25th season of going to bramall lane

yes he was in RCM but besides few games last year & the end of the hecky 1st season. he had to stay back & just because you signed someone from a club, you trust your eyes & play him to the strengths & the successes you see. otherwise wenger might as well have left henry as a winger & Redknapp with Bale as left back, or Man city Keep kompany in the Central Midfield

& by the way you forgot rule no 1, never ever say that people dont go to the football. because it only starts a fight & their no humble way to say that your about to embark your 25th season of going to bramall lane
We had a Lunny shaped hole at RCM.

He was shoehorned in there to accommodate Norwood at the base as this, obviously, was deemed optimal at the time with the player resources we had.

SB is a deep lying playmaker.

Don’t believe me ? Ask him !

UTB.

Ps apologies for the games remark. Poor form. Enjoy season 25 👍

We had a Lunny shaped hole at RCM.

He was shoehorned in there to accommodate Norwood at the base as this, obviously, was deemed optimal at the time with the player resources we had.

SB is a deep lying playmaker.

Don’t believe me ? Ask him !

UTB.

Ps apologies for the games remark. Poor form. Enjoy season 25 👍
From my memory, we started him (not at Palace mind) in the deep lying role, and he couldn't handle it - or at least didn't perform in the time he was there. He was then moved to RCM where he showed promise with his marauding (sadly too rare) runs. When we tried him deep again, alongside another deeper player, Doyle, it seemed to work.

From my memory, we stared him (not at Palace mind) in the deep lying role, and he couldn't handle it - or at least didn't perform in the time he was there. He was then moved to RCM where he showed promise with his marauding (sadly too rare) runs. When we tried him deep again, alongside another deeper player, Doyle, it seemed to work.

Not so much he couldn't handle it, more he wasn't a good combo with Norwood. He looked better playing deeper with Doyle as you say

From my memory, we started him (not at Palace mind) in the deep lying role, and he couldn't handle it - or at least didn't perform in the time he was there. He was then moved to RCM where he showed promise with his marauding (sadly too rare) runs. When we tried him deep again, alongside another deeper player, Doyle, it seemed to ,.

From my memory, we started him (not at Palace mind) in the deep lying role, and he couldn't handle it - or at least didn't perform in the time he was there. He was then moved to RCM where he showed promise with his marauding (sadly too rare) runs. When we tried him deep again, alongside another deeper player, Doyle, it seemed to work.
He’s played 90% of the time for us at RCM.

I don’t remember exactly when the other 10% was either.

He isn’t a tough tackling enforcer that breaks up play. He’s rather nesh in fact.

For 6’5 he’s shyte aerially.

His left peg is for standing on. Only !

These are not his strengths.

Which without giving a compete dossier include :-

Looking after the ball.
Gliding past men in tight areas.
Making consistently good decisions due to having a terrific football “brain”.

Consider the 3 above “ingredients” and then compare SB DIRECTLY with ON.

SB wins hands down IMHO.

While some of these skills are of course valuable to players in advanced position, they are a prerequisite for players in a deep lying role. Arguably the most important position on the pitch for the way we go about it.

He’s a deep lying playmaker. That’s really that.

UTB

I think we can all agree that NDiaye is a terrific prospect who has been led astray by others. Some have played on his childish, Ill informed desire to play for OM as his childhood dream.

My concern is about the club and Berge. We have always been led to believe that Berge was a model pro who did nothing to force a move away. For some reason I am not aware of, Jimmy at Blades Ramble has turned this story on its head, blaming Berge for agitating for a move.

I realise I am an od bugger but, is it no longer incumbent on a club to inform a player of another clubs interest in him? Did SUFC give Berge permission to talk to Burnley or not? That used to be the way things were done. Is the Yorkshire live claim true, that Berge has been given an ultimatum re signing for Burnley. If he doesn’t sign, he will be forced by his club to play and train with the Academy?

Will he be punished for messing the parent club about at a bad time? Does this paragon of sporting virtue have no rights at all, or have I got it wrong?

I’m really confused now!

He was purchased from a side that played him as a deep lying playmaker. In the same mould as Coutts and Norwood.

He played the exact same role for his country as well.

He's much more mobile than either Coutts or Norwood and able to drop his shoulder and pass a player, much more readily. He can carry a ball forward much better than either Coutts or Norwood and deliver a killer ball in the box.

His downside in that position in front of the defence, is his poor interception and tackling ability. If we'd played him there consistently, he would have improved our attacking options, but been a liability in games where we are on the back foot. He isn't just 'not very good' at tackling, at his worst he actually shirks a challenge.

He's a good player, who will really prosper in the right set up. He wasn't really right for us and I'm not sure Burnley are really right for him, but who gives a shit about that.

He’s played 90% of the time for us at RCM.

I don’t remember exactly when the other 10% was either.

He isn’t a tough tackling enforcer that breaks up play. He’s rather nesh in fact.

For 6’5 he’s shyte aerially.

His left peg is for standing on. Only !

These are not his strengths.

Which without giving a compete dossier include :-

Looking after the ball.
Gliding past men in tight areas.
Making consistently good decisions due to having a terrific football “brain”.

Consider the 3 above “ingredients” and then compare SB DIRECTLY with ON.

SB wins hands down IMHO.

While some of these skills are of course valuable to players in advanced position, they are a prerequisite for players in a deep lying role. Arguably the most important position on the pitch for the way we go about it.

He’s a deep lying playmaker. That’s really that.

UTB
I agree with your analysis in the main, but ON has been an excellent DLP for us in the Championship. Berge never did enough to displace him - that's the reality of it.

Hecky just confirmed that he only found out about Sander yesterday morning.

Clearly unhappy and said he's got to be careful what he says.

Hopefully some of those who refuse to accept some of this stuff were listening.

I agree with your analysis in the main, but ON has been an excellent DLP for us in the Championship. Berge never did enough to displace him - that's the reality of it.
ON has been good for us. No doubt. But he is good at the stuff he is good at and has more than the occasional Rick in him.

I’m going with using the 2 of them to optimise what was available at the time rather than ON > SB for the deep lying role.

He just isn’t. The reasons why are there.

UTB

ON has been good for us. No doubt. But he is good at the stuff he is good at and has more than the occasional Rick in him.

I’m going with using the 2 of them to optimise what was available at the time rather than ON > SB for the deep lying role.

He just isn’t. The reasons why are there.

UTB
They've all got the occasional rick though, haven't they? He's also far less mobile on the ball than Berge, but has far better defensive numbers. Agreed, they could perhaps be optimised together but the previous experiment failed, and now it seems like a moot point anyway :)

Loved Sander, but despite his excellent footballing brain, ability to make the correct pass (and not under- or over-hit it like many of our players), he never quite lived up to his full potential at such.

I fondly remember a few games where he was riled up and was almost unplayable for periods (think was Birmingham?) where the only way they could stop his runs was to take it in turns to foul him and draw a yellow card.

Many on here have said he'd play better at a top prem club, or less physical/ more cerebral European side, which I completely agree with. He doesn't have the bombastic temperament to be a primadonna in our "average" side.

Criminal that he's gone to a likely relegation rival (at least in the bookies eyes). Such a pity he couldn't have gone to an Italian or Spanish side (where I think he'd be better suited).

Onwards and ...hopefully not... downwards!

I believe he came to us a CDM, but was wasted there as didn't have good enough tackling or acceleration of his big frame to press opposition quickly enough. Imho he was best going forwards either as attacking RM, or even as false 10. His eye for a killer pass around the box was pretty impressive. Before he got injured the 2nd time he was starting to score a few marauding goals from midfield. Without that setback, I always wondered if he would have continued to progress to a "oh lord "michael brown... We'll never know...

I believe he came to us a CDM, but was wasted there as didn't have good enough tackling or acceleration of his big frame to press opposition quickly enough. Imho he was best going forwards either as attacking RM, or even as false 10. His eye for a killer pass around the box was pretty impressive. Before he got injured the 2nd time he was starting to score a few marauding goals from midfield. Without that setback, I always wondered if he would have continued to progress to a "oh lord "michael brown... We'll never know...
Folks REALLY need to get their head around the difference between a CDM and what Coutts / Norwood and at times SB do.

It’s fundamentally different.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom