Berge, WTF?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The bits on that video are amazing, and judging him on that video- he's a snip at 50 million. What the video omits, is he goes missing for huge parts of the 90 mins, for a big lad he's very powder puff, for a big lad his challenge on high ball headers is very weak.

Saying that I'd love to see him this season, and I do think he glides past players with ease which is a joy to watch..

Berge is by far and away our most talented player. He's probably our most skilful player, our strongest player, our fastest player, our most intelligent player.

If we get him playing with full confidence, surrounded by equally confident team mates, in a team that has more than 30% possession per game, that doesn't constantly bypass midfield with hopeless long balls, while playing him in his favoured position, he'll be an absolute joy to watch and will be the best player in the league.

I can't understand why anyone would be happy to see him go, even for 30m. We need to build the team around him, it'll be a long time until we get another player on his level, we should be enjoying him for as long as possible!
Wow. Just wow.

Having watched a few highlight reals, he's a lot faster than he looks! He has a surprisingly good turn of pace too, its just not obvious due to his size.

A few examples here:

He's class. Should do what we can to persuade him to stay, unless he comes out and officially asks to leave. We should then hold out for the release fee, or at least break even.

Get shut of the likes of McB and Mousett, who I think we can afford to lose. Moose looks fat, unfit and not bothered. McB is just rubbish.

I'be ok going onto the Championship with Sharp, McG, Brewster and Jebbison.

I think if no club wants to meet United's valuation then he'll leave on loan this season, probably with a view to a permanent fee, and that suits all parties that he's got his move to a top flight club, we get him off the wages and get a loan fee and the loaning club get to have a season out of him to see if he is worth the fee United want.

I just can't see him sticking around at United next season unless he gets an injury that prevents him from leaving!

Because the choice isn’t “let him go or not”.

It’s “let him go, or let £20m worth of others go”.
Is it? Do we have to sell? We are 60m down on income this season but players wages have been halved (and we weren’t the biggest payers) and one of the top earners (Jags) is off the payroll. If we were desperate to sell I doubt we would be insisting on 35m

Is it? Do we have to sell? We are 60m down on income this season but players wages have been halved (and we weren’t the biggest payers) and one of the top earners (Jags) is off the payroll. If we were desperate to sell I doubt we would be insisting on 35m

We don't have to do anything. But there is a risk associated with not raising funds, and I imagine (quite rightly) that the board have decided that raising around £20m would be enough to keep us financially sustainable even if we don't get promoted. We could take a gamble, hold onto everyone and hope that we go up (like Wolves). But the risk is that we end up like another Sheffield team, who held onto their players and gradually saw their worth tumble whilst the wages stayed high.

On the note of wages, I'm not saying that you're wrong because I haven't looked, but is it official that wages have been halved? I'd be quite surprised if that's true, and it would make it very hard to hold onto some of the better players.

We don't have to do anything. But there is a risk associated with not raising funds, and I imagine (quite rightly) that the board have decided that raising around £20m would be enough to keep us financially sustainable even if we don't get promoted. We could take a gamble, hold onto everyone and hope that we go up (like Wolves). But the risk is that we end up like another Sheffield team, who held onto their players and gradually saw their worth tumble whilst the wages stayed high.

On the note of wages, I'm not saying that you're wrong because I haven't looked, but is it official that wages have been halved? I'd be quite surprised if that's true, and it would make it very hard to hold onto some of the better players.
Sure Bettis said something regards wages.

After last seasons debacle some of them should thank their lucky stars they are still employed!

I think if no club wants to meet United's valuation then he'll leave on loan this season, probably with a view to a permanent fee, and that suits all parties that he's got his move to a top flight club, we get him off the wages and get a loan fee and the loaning club get to have a season out of him to see if he is worth the fee United want.

I just can't see him sticking around at United next season unless he gets an injury that prevents him from leaving!
That would represent the worst case scenario for United we’d lose a talented playing asset thus hindering our chances of promotion whilst receiving only a nominal fee loan fee in return reducing our ability to recruit thus also hindering our chances of promotion.

And if we go up does he then become a Premier League player again, and we get 45mill for him instead? 🤭😉

Wilder stated previously that those who had signed new contracts while we were in the premier league had relegation clauses in them reducing them by 50% to safeguard the club from a financial crisis. It makes common sense to be fair and I’m amazed other similar clubs have never taken this stance in the past?

Wilder stated previously that those who had signed new contracts while we were in the premier league had relegation clauses in them reducing them by 50% to safeguard the club from a financial crisis. It makes common sense to be fair and I’m amazed other similar clubs have never taken this stance in the past?
I believe some clubs have but the problem is, if you’re chasing a player that another club wants and the other club isn’t insisting on a relegation clause, the player is more likely to go to the other club. The flip side of that is that if the other club is relegated, they’re in the shit and have to sell several players, if they can. I agree with our approach but the downside is that we miss out on players.

I didn’t know Wilder had said every player is on a 50% reduction but I didn’t listen to many of his interviews, particularly last season.

I believe some clubs have but the problem is, if you’re chasing a player that another club wants and the other club isn’t insisting on a relegation clause, the player is more likely to go to the other club. The flip side of that is that if the other club is relegated, they’re in the shit and have to sell several players, if they can. I agree with our approach but the downside is that we miss out on players.

I didn’t know Wilder had said every player is on a 50% reduction but I didn’t listen to many of his interviews, particularly last season.
Jack Rodwell's Sunderland contract being a case in point.

United, amazingly, seems to be a well run club at the moment. I'd be amazed if a 25-50% wage drop on relegation wasn't a non-negotiable for any contract offers.

I can’t remember when he said this but to be more exact I’m sure he used the word ‘halved’…..

I'd be surprised if we got 50 pence for moose. MCB probably 13/15m, rather keep the pair. Regarding Berge I'd just stick a 35m (release clause fee?) price on him and let nature take its course. Like you say, he'd be an absolute Goliath in the championship and would easily be the best in the league. If he does end up going he goes for a hefty profit which limits the amount of players we need to sell (though I don't think we need to sell at all unless it's a stupid offer)

No two ways about it, Moose is a dick.

But he is relatively well known and there will always be some manager who thinks "I can get the best out of him"

He's a confidence player. When he was doing it eighteen months ago and the fans were shouting Moose, Moose, Moose I think he genuinely felt at home.

No excuse for his lack of professionalism the last 12 months or so though

I still think many clubs abroad would consider £5-6 million if he was available

After last seasons debacle some of them should thank their lucky stars they are still employed!

Agree 100%

However, how much of their performance was driven by the attitude of CW?

Heckinbottom win ratio would have given us 29 points, throw in a few draws and consider some of those would have been against lower rivals and we may just have scrapped home

Point been the neggy mindset of the leader drove the behaviour of the players, and whilst professional pride should have made them up their game, I think ‘monkey see monkey do’ may have kicked in

Same players won 3 of last 6 which it took them 22 games to win 3 from the season opener

I'm staggered by the number of fans who can't wait for us to sell our better players at knock down prices. Must have been much happier when McCabe was running the show and we were bringing in fucknuts like Ricky Holmes, Jack Rodwell, Morrison and John Lundstram
We should just follow Norwich example - sell if anyone makes us an offer we can't refuse. Otherwise keep them

No, we shouldn't be following Norwich's example by selling our better players, 'for an offer we can't refuse'. That's why they have become a yoyo club. Seems their owner, board and fans are happy with that, but I certainly wouldn't if this happened with United. I want an established Premier team. Let's keep our better players no matter what the offer was.

I'm staggered by the number of fans who can't wait for us to sell our better players at knock down prices. Must have been much happier when McCabe was running the show and we were bringing in fucknuts like Ricky Holmes, Jack Rodwell, Morrison and John Lundstram
I agree with you - but half of the ones listed came in after Kev's High Court disaster:D

Club going off to Marbella for pre season training, I’ve seen the list of covid tested players and Berge isn’t on the list…unless he’s getting tested another day. however he was the only big named first team player missing minus O’Connell and the international players

Someone in our office works in Covid testing in sport as a freelancer. He’s tested the northern premier league teams last season, said he did sheff Utd before the fly out, he could still get onto the covid testing portal

Club going off to Marbella for pre season training, I’ve seen the list of covid tested players and Berge isn’t on the list…unless he’s getting tested another day. however he was the only big named first team player missing minus O’Connell and the international players

Someone in our office works in Covid testing in sport as a freelancer. He’s tested the northern premier league teams last season, said he did sheff Utd before the fly out, he could still get onto the covid testing portal

Is it possible he's already there or just travelling from elsewhere? He was in Oslo last week, and international duty players aren't due in yet, why come to Sheffield to fly to Spain, when you can just go from Norway and probably avoid being treated like a walking public health emergency.

Is it possible he's already there or just travelling from elsewhere? He was in Oslo last week, and international duty players aren't due in yet, why come to Sheffield to fly to Spain, when you can just go from Norway and probably avoid being treated like a walking public health emergency.
I’m unsure however I pointed out a group of red highlighted players inc Egan and my colleague said he was red due to flying to Marbella from Ireland

a couple of foreign sounding names in that group which I suspect could be coaches joining SJ

I reckon this too. Time will tell, or should I say pictures will. :)

Think the international lads still haven’t rocked up back at shirecliffe yet so would make sense that they’ve not been tested with the rest of the squad.

The bits on that video are amazing, and judging him on that video- he's a snip at 50 million. What the video omits, is he goes missing for huge parts of the 90 mins, for a big lad he's very powder puff, for a big lad his challenge on high ball headers is very weak.

When was the last time you saw a bigger club than us being reliant on their midfielders winning "high ball headers"? You're concerned about something that simply isn't a factor at the highest levels in the modern game.

Berge is by far and away our most talented player. He's probably our most skilful player, our strongest player, our fastest player, our most intelligent player.

If we get him playing with full confidence, surrounded by equally confident team mates, in a team that has more than 30% possession per game, that doesn't constantly bypass midfield with hopeless long balls, while playing him in his favoured position, he'll be an absolute joy to watch and will be the best player in the league.

I can't understand why anyone would be happy to see him go, even for 30m. We need to build the team around him, it'll be a long time until we get another player on his level, we should be enjoying him for as long as possible!

I've said it before, why can't we enjoy the great players that have been through the club, just for once lets put a team on the pitch to entertain our fans..

Great Post

Think the international lads still haven’t rocked up back at shirecliffe yet so would make sense that they’ve not been tested with the rest of the squad.
I think this is correct, I think it’s a mixture as Egan was down in a separate list and I noticed Norrington-Davies on the tested list so he may have come in early to force his way into SJ’s plans.

good news though there was no positives recorded! My friend doesn’t have a clue about football however said billy sharp wasn’t happy about missing the semi final as he had tickets to take his son! Guessing Walker had sorted it out

seems a class job this what my work colleague does, he’s spent his last 6 months of furlough co-ordinating covid testing for north eastern premier league teams, the most famous person he has tested is Pep. The nicest player was Alex oxlaid-chamberlain and James Milner was one of the more arrogant players!

I think this is correct, I think it’s a mixture as Egan was down in a separate list and I noticed Norrington-Davies on the tested list so he may have come in early to force his way into SJ’s plans.

good news though there was no positives recorded! My friend doesn’t have a clue about football however said billy sharp wasn’t happy about missing the semi final as he had tickets to take his son! Guessing Walker had sorted it out

seems a class job this what my work colleague does, he’s spent his last 6 months of furlough co-ordinating covid testing for north eastern premier league teams, the most famous person he has tested is Pep. The nicest player was Alex oxlaid-chamberlain and James Milner was one of the more arrogant players!
Yeah RND did an interview after wales went out and said he wasn’t going to take a holiday for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom