Berge key

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Berge was shadowed by Millwalls #16 the first half who kinda kept him away from the play. After 2-0 when Millwall had to try attack more Berge got more space and time to play.

Berge seemed fine in the match where Fleck and Norwood looked decent and opponent didn't have that much pressure on them.

Is it just me or does his (first) touch on the ball seem bit too hard many times which leads him into tight situations as the ball seems to run too far from him?

I love him. It's amazing that that we have him and he does what he does. Trouble is, the Window is still open and all I can think about while he's flying is that he won't be here much longer. Even Hecky said as much today:

One more season. We could have an unforgettable promotion season if he stays. Then fair enough if one of the Big Six come in for him or Newcastle now they have the Dosh. But not right now.

I think most recognise his ability, however his previous inability / reluctance to step up and take hold of a game when playing better opposition frustrates. He has the tendency to disappear (like at Watford last week). Everyone knows it is there we just want to see it consistently.

No player can do that when surrounded by clowns like he was last week

I love him. It's amazing that that we have him and he does what he does. Trouble is, the Window is still open and all I can think about while he's flying is that he won't be here much longer. Even Hecky said as much today:

Sounds more like a pep talk to Sander. If he wants a move than more of that level of performance is going to be required because we ain’t letting him out on the cheap.

Berge is phenomenal, ran Millwall ragged today. Can you imagine how we’d feel if he was lining up against us?!

Brewster was relatively quiet but nudged their centre back out of the way, which enabled Ndiaye to get onto the loose through ball for the first goal. Clever CF play

Berge is phenomenal, ran Millwall ragged today. Can you imagine how we’d feel if he was lining up against us?!

Brewster was relatively quiet but nudged their centre back out of the way, which enabled Ndiaye to get onto the loose through ball for the first goal. Clever CF play
I thought Brewster had a good game despite him being relatively quiet, like you say. Also won the penalty. He had nowhere to go for the penalty either, or any options, with at least 4 defenders in the box. He just seemed to wriggle and spin and look for a gap. Should have took the pen as well but that's another story.

I've said what I need to say about Berge. Fantastic player. Only player I've never seen actually "run". It's more of a jog but he's just so good at creating that extra yard. What a player. If he stays fit and more importantly stays here this season, we should be really confident of doing it.

Sounds more like a pep talk to Sander. If he wants a move than more of that level of performance is going to be required because we ain’t letting him out on the cheap.
Even if we sell at cost (£25m), that will have to be reinvested. You're not finding another Sander Berge at short notice. At all. He's irreplaceable.

to our season. I always thought if we can keep him we have a great chance. Those saying he doesn't do enough or is lacking in effort haven't a clue. He is a Rolls Royce of a midfielder. And will only get better. Opposition defences shit themselves when he is running forward with the ball. He combines finesse with physical strength. Rare combination. Top signing, top player. And excuses CW's dud signings. On a side note I glanced at Wolves BBC player ratings and saw MGW at 4.99. I wondered if he is casting a wistful eye on BDTBL. On a downside I thought Brewster was ineffectual and anonymous. I wonder if it will happen for him. Hopefully confidence will come with games and goals. Anel was class today too. Sander motm closely followed by Anel.
I’m afraid you can’t just present opinion as fact, especially when there’s plenty of evidence to support the opposing view.

It’s perfectly possible to argue he hasn’t done enough and has lacked effort, and that he is a Rolls Royce.

It’s great to see him delivering on his huge ability and potential. I don’t want to be negative, so I’ll celebrate him playing well.

But to say anyone thinking negatively about him hasn’t a clue is frankly ludicrous given the months of dross he’s previously served up.

He owes us.

Even if we sell at cost (£25m), that will have to be reinvested. You're not finding another Sander Berge at short notice. At all. He's irreplaceable.
Irreplaceable on occasion. Easily replaceable on others.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d keep him and I think he’d be a very good player for us. But it’s not like he does it every week.

I think he seems to follow the tempo of the rest of the team, today we were really on it, especially first half and he thrived, lots of nice driving runs and forward thinking passes. I think the issues come with his nonchalant-ness and how casual he is on the ball (which is part of what makes him great when he's at his best) means when the team isn't at it and nothing seems to flow he doesn't pull those progressive runs out the bag when we perhaps need them most, I think this is where most of the criticism comes from.
He is not a leader on the pitch , he's a follower - this may or may not prevent him from playing at a higher level than we currently occupy

The rumoured 3 PL clubs who have shown an interest in Berge will have had their scouts there today. Expect some increased bids for him

Let’s hope the board decide PL footy for our club takes precedence over swelling the bank balance for this season
He will be straight out the door the moment someone bids £25m.

You are right.

So why has he been a slow burner ?

Could it possibly be that we have shoehorned him in to a position he is completely unfamiliar with in a league that he doesn’t know or understand ?

The consistency in which I have repeatedly stated he should be occupying Norwoods shirt in that very specific role he has played for his country AND the club we recruited him from is as baffling as it is so obviously wrong.

Now we have significant competition in the midfield slots, Sander should be demanding the playmaker position to leave the others to fight for the LCM and RCM positions.

It’s so glaringly obvious and has been for some time.

UTB.
You want Berge to play further back ?

I agree, Berge can get his move by performing consistently. It’s the lack of consistency, in my opinion, that has swayed PL clubs from meeting the release fee (if true) that he signed in his contract.

I’m not sure what the release fee is (or if one exists) but a bid of £25m isn’t out of the question if he plays like that in 90% of games and that will get him his move.

The bloke is an absolute rolls Royce and I am genuinely baffled how half the premier leave haven’t bid £25 Million for him

He has it all going forward and is a very good CDM he can do it all IMO

Anyone who doesn’t think he is a top top player doesn’t know Ball
Can't head a ball and is nesh in tackle so can he really do it all 🤔

The rumoured 3 PL clubs who have shown an interest in Berge will have had their scouts there today. Expect some increased bids for him

Let’s hope the board decide PL footy for our club takes precedence over swelling the bank balance for this season
And he'll get kite on if not allowed to leave, but if he does go I hope we do get a decent return on the fee, will PH see any of it, I very much doubt it unfortunately

I’m afraid you can’t just present opinion as fact, especially when there’s plenty of evidence to support the opposing view.

It’s perfectly possible to argue he hasn’t done enough and has lacked effort, and that he is a Rolls Royce.

It’s great to see him delivering on his huge ability and potential. I don’t want to be negative, so I’ll celebrate him playing well.

But to say anyone thinking negatively about him hasn’t a clue is frankly ludicrous given the months of dross he’s previously served up.

He owes us.

You are right.

So why has he been a slow burner ?

Could it possibly be that we have shoehorned him in to a position he is completely unfamiliar with in a league that he doesn’t know or understand ?

The consistency in which I have repeatedly stated he should be occupying Norwoods shirt in that very specific role he has played for his country AND the club we recruited him from is as baffling as it is so obviously wrong.

Now we have significant competition in the midfield slots, Sander should be demanding the playmaker position to leave the others to fight for the LCM and RCM positions.

It’s so glaringly obvious and has been for some time.

UTB.
Have to disagree there, we've played him in a number of roles and for me the only place he's really fitted in and made an impact is when he's pushed forwards like he was today, the runs, the hold up, the clever passes he makes are all perfect for that role. When he's played further back it feels like a huge waste of talent to me, all those skills, that magnetic foot that seems to stick the ball to it is wasted when he's played further back as a play maker, and I'd argue he's not very good as a playmaker either, his short passes forwards are inteligent and he generally picks good choices, but when we have played him deeper I think long range passing has been a weakness of his. As has been mentioned in other threads I think norwood is great in the play maker role provided that he is well protected (ie the other 2 midfielders are at it and don't give him the ball when he's under pressure), for me our best midfield 3 is norwood, berge and fleck/mcatee or any other tricky player who can fit in that fleck role.

Back
Top Bottom