Berge: fur coat, no knickers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This thread is a classic study in confirmation bias. The mere fact that there is so much disagreement about his merits is proof, though, that his performances are nowhere near good enough for a, supposedly, Champions League player.

"Best player last week" someone said. There were times last week when I forgot he was even on the pitch, the guy "played" for about 20 minutes out of the 90.

He's been here 18 months and I'm still scratching my head wondering how so many of our fans think there's anything so great about him? There have been times when I've thought, yes, he could be really good, but these are just flashes. For the most part games pass him by.

I don't know whether that's because this club doesn't suit him or he hasn't actually got that much about him. I reckon most DoFs will be having the same internal discussion, so I imagine we're stuck with him, for better or worse.

He has ability, there’s no doubt about that, but he just doesn’t take responsibility with the ball. He almost always plays short simple ten yard passes and just fucking stands there? He doesn’t move or look to get it back, create space or drag defenders out of position, he just stands there. TBH we could get someone with a tenth of his ability to do that, so if someone wants to buy him, he can go as far as I’m concerned 😟

I agree he should be in the box at set pieces, he’s 6’5” FFS, someone’s of a similar size is going to mark him, leaving more room for someone else who might want to head the ball🤷🏻‍♂️
Nailed it

Maybe because he’s the only one that can deliver a decent cross?
Maybe watch the game? He stood over the free kick, on the wrong side, may I add. Proceeded to then stroll to the ball, and pull off the most unconvincing “dummy” I’ve ever witnessed, for Norwood to eventually deliver. Multiple occasions. Fucking waste.

It’s been a season and a half. When can we start to judge? :)
Maybe watch the game? He stood over the free kick, on the wrong side, may I add. Proceeded to then stroll to the ball, and pull off the most unconvincing “dummy” I’ve ever witnessed, for Norwood to eventually deliver. Multiple occasions. Fucking waste.
You’re getting angry over something that happens half a dozen times in pretty much every league game?

We should’ve scored from the first one though billy had a free header inside the six yard box. After that it was a bit weird as Swansea had already seen it and knew what was coming.

Didn't Berge take a free kick in the Brum game that was instantly better than any Norwood has taken for months? I can't remember for sure but that's why I thought he was standing up for them yesterday. Even so it still doesn't make sense to then only use him as the dummy. I suppose the other explanation was that with no Fleck, who else are you going to use as the dummy taker? Burke? No one's gonna fall for that one.

Some of you lot are deluded. He had a 20 minute spell vs Brum where he ran down blind alleys. Apparently he’s supposed to be a world beater in the Championship, but he looks like the same old soft as pony, overrated young player who has been a major disappointment since we signed him.

I’m tired of waiting for him to come good, and tired of listening to those who aimlessly believe he will with no foundation. Don’t believe in the hype. Just watch him.
I did watch him and despite some early errors I thought he and Brewster produced the only serious attacking flair

£20 million or whatever it was. World's most expensive Mannequin!

I rate Berge, He's going to be a great player. He was my MOTM last week and mediocre at best yesterday. He needs time to adjust and adapt but we haven't got the time and resources to nurture him.

My major criticism of Berge is his attitude during games. Many times yesterday when we had possession deep, instead of coming short he subtly nestled in with Swansea midfielders. He seems like he prefers to be on the periphery rather then proactive & involved. When Matt Grimes flattened him in the second half, I knew that was him done for the game and with the exception of a decent run & cross for Didzy, I was right.

If he was a Chelsea or City player he'd be out on loan year after year while he builds up his confidence and mental strength.

Who's fault is a lack of midfield when only two midfielders are picked though? Slab trying to make a point to the board by picking 4 forwards then aying 3 out of position?
Maybe. The problem is that there's no competition for places. We only had 4 that I can think of, who can play centre midfield, and one of them was Lundstram. The alternative is Fleck, and he's hardly in the form of his life.

Genuinely not sure what I'd do if I was Slav. Other than bring new faces in,

I totally agree that this just an absolute joke, if it is indicative of our new coaching staff, then god help us.

Incredibly, they have Berge stood to the right of Norwood, presumably ignoring the fact that everyone in the Stadium knows he’s right footed and clearly isn’t going to whip it in with his weak foot, but there he is for every dead ball FFS talk about amateur hour 🤦🏻‍♂️

Dispossessed twice and gave the ball away near our own box and we’re 10 minutes in. Dawdling round the pitch. He totally flatters to deceive. Cash in. If only we could.

Glad you gave it a full 14 minutes of the match before issuing your verdict

This thread is a classic study in confirmation bias. The mere fact that there is so much disagreement about his merits is proof, though, that his performances are nowhere near good enough for a, supposedly, Champions League player.
I think that this is the root of our fans frustrations with Berge. The fact is he was just a promising young player in a team that over performed in the Champions League, & that promise costs money. We didn't buy him so we could strengthen our ambitions in reaching that competition, we took a gamble that that promise would help us to stay in the Premier League, & would give us a profit after a couple of years of development; the fee we paid was the entry fee for players with promise.
I really rate him, you can see he is a Rolls Royce of a footballer, but we need to get more out of him & get him on the ball at every opportunity, the trouble is quite frankly we don't have anyone else on his level, so he pretty much has to do it all himself.
The new manager & coaching staff are trying to work with both legs tied together, we have a squad of players that for whatever reason have stopped performing in a unique system that got them to the heady heights of the Premier League, in fact some of them look like they are suffering PTSD after the shock of last season. They need to get bodies in before things can change too much IMO, they are trying various things with players looking for at least something to work with, but it takes time, you don't just rip it up & start again if it doesn't work from the off, you work on tweaks in training & try to get them to adapt to new ideas, things that should be sorted in pre season perhaps, but we haven't really had one due to various things.
We need to get behind them, you know, actually support them, not give them a barrage of abuse after 5 minutes if we don't start like Brazil 1970, show our mettle, be the supporters we think we are.

We didn't buy him so we could strengthen our ambitions in reaching that competition, we took a gamble that that promise would help us to stay in the Premier League, & would give us a profit after a couple of years of development; the fee we paid was the entry fee for players with promise.
I really rate him, you can see he is a Rolls Royce of a footballer, but we need to get more out of him & get him on the ball at every opportunity, the trouble is quite frankly we don't have anyone else on his level, so he pretty much has to do it all himself.
I rate Berge, He's going to be a great player. He was my MOTM last week and mediocre at best yesterday. He needs time to adjust and adapt but we haven't got the time and resources to nurture him.

He's not a kid, he's 23 and has two dozen international caps. He stands 6ft 5.

On what basis, having been here 18 months, does he still need time to "adjust and adapt"?

He's a Rolls Royce if the Rolls Royce spends a lot of time in the garage and constantly needs to be parked in a lay-by during journeys.

It is absurd to say that someone who has so little influence on matches, either in the PL or for (admittedly) only two Championship games, is way above the level of our other players - not that that should even be difficult as the rest of our midfield players are completely shot. He's not carrying them, if anything he's letting them down.

Unless he starts properly controlling games, eventually you guys are going to have to admit you've been deceived.

Personally, I hope you were right and he comes good, starting Wednesday against an opponent which would bring the best out of a genuine quality player. I'm certainly not expecting it, but we all have to live in hope.

Exactly. Wouldn't the Swansea defenders just think 'Berge's not left footed and so there's no chance he'll take the kick'. It was weirdly pathetic that they kept doing it.

If Berge was willing to be a leader i think we would have less issues in our midfield than we do.

Problem is he doesn't want to take command and we already have too many passengers in midfield as it is.
This is exactly how I see it. Lots of people blame the other players for not being good enough to get the best out of him, but if you’re truly talented you should be picking the game up by the scruff of the neck.

Steven Gerrard played with loads of players who weren’t as good as him and he didn’t just drift around waiting for Chelsea or Real Madrid. He stepped up week in week out to show his class.

Berge doesn’t do enough of the great stuff he’s capable of in my opinion.

Swansea game was first I saw Berge play and it wasn't the game for him I think. He had few moments on the 2nd half where he hinted about something I'd like to see more. He had long injury behind him and new manager bringing new tactics in play. Maybe needs handful of games to show his full repertoire?

His biggest issue - he's just a bit too nice.

He could and should be a Patrick Vieira-type enforcer in the midfield bullying people, winning balls on the floor and in the air, dishing out the odd kicking, playing incisive forward balls and coming up with some late runs into the box.

Not seen very much of it so far.

Whats that got to do with him being able to deliver a cross?

Adding a "!" to your name definitely doesn't make you less of a dickhead.

Surely you had to be impressed with his work-rate when he took the trouble to deliver the ball personally to McGoldrick when he could have simply passed it to him? (He nearly knocked him over in the process though)

He's blatantly a quality footballer- I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up worth £50/60 million one day and playing for PSG, Juventus, whoever. I also wouldn't be surprised if he never makes it with us.

Not much point having a Rolls Royce if you live in Woodseats. He's class but he's also that strolling, stroking type who can keep things ticking nicely when surrounded by brilliant players. He's a luxury. When he came he joined a (admittedly knackered and running out of a bit of steam) side all built on tempo. That's clearly not him and bar a couple of games, it's never worked for him.

I'm sure we all wanted him to do well and still do, but as others have said he's often so static and worse than that, could be accused of hiding. The MOM last week was a bit of a false dawn- some great runs with the ball but his actual job, winning and using the ball and showing for it, he was pretty poor.

I reckon not his fault, bit of a Tri Dellas one, brilliant footballer but never quite going to work out. Personally I'd give him a crack being creative behind the strikers. It's where we most need someone, and running at people's where he seems most useful. May as well haven't we??

If you don’t like players like Berge then you get labelled as a ‘little Sheffielder’ with no ambition and get accused of not understanding football. You then get told how he’s played in the Champions League and that he’ll be as good as his pal Erling one day and that you were stupid for not seeing it.

The fact that he’s a more expensive version of Leon Britton and looks less likely to ever fit into whatever system we decide to go with it completely overlooked because of the above.

Gerrim selt

Whats that got to do with him being able to deliver a cross?

Adding a "!" to your name definitely doesn't make you less of a dickhead.
What the fuck are you talking about?

Berge didn't deliver the cross, that’s literally the focal point of the post.

So, standing at an enormous 6”5, he should be bullying defenders in the box.

Adding your ‘date of birth’ to your username didn’t make you any less of a daft old cunt.

Last edited:
Berge will be our stand out performer but it may take time. Mental strength has been mentioned- there's a lot to take in to consideration since he joined.

He mentions in the recovery video that he struggled during lockdown as he'd get home from training and was stuck in his flat with very little to do. There's been a few clips where he talks about his family and it sounds like they are a close unit so he must have felt very isolated and lonely; some people such as myself love their own company and are more than happy in it. Others, such as a former colleague of mine, kill themselves. We have no idea where he lies between these two situations, so we need to bear in mind that lockdown + a really nasty injury probably had a huge impact on him mentally and is something that he is probably still recovering from. Michael Owen once opened up about the absolute paranoia involved in his recovery from injuries as he was worried his hamstring would go at any moment if he pushed a little too hard. There could be an element of this with Sander, which is also impacting his performances.

Back to the Swansea game, the instructions were pretty clear that Sander and Bash weren't to try any marauding runs through the middle. Slav has obviously clocked we're vulnerable at the back with no enforcers or ball winners so he was overly cautious against a good team, so we played defensively in the hope the 4 strikers would deal with the ball at the other end of the pitch.

Once Slav gets some of his players in we'll see a very different beast. Vieira will protect the defence giving Sander the freedom to play his own game and we'll reap the rewards. I'd like to think we might see him taking corners and free kicks as it's painfully obvious Norwood isn't up to it.

As a side note, has anyone got footage of that turn and run in the Swansea corner? I think it was early in the second half. I've no idea what he did or how he managed it but he somehow turned a couple of players and was off down the byline in a split second.

Adding your ‘date of birth’ to your username didn’t make you any less of a daft old cunt.

So you think Berge standing over the freekick was his own free choice? Because it would be better putting somebody there who would have no chance of delivering the freekick. That would fool them wouldn't it?! Jesus, do you think players just do whatever they want?

Cant believe i didnt get it.

Btw - The adding the "!" was more about you and your previous name. You used to talk bollocks, and you still do.

If you want to talk properly about it all we can. I'm in the Birley now, just let me know.

Last edited:
That would fool them wouldn't it?
I don’t need the weather man to tell me when it’s pissing it down.

Why don’t we go all out? Let’s sign Peter Crouch and have him taking corners.

Ita 35 yard free kick man, the only way we could ‘fool’ the opposition is by passing it backwards, in all fairness, I bet they’re surprised we didn’t since that’s the only thing we’re capable of.

It’s going in the box or an attempt on goal. The player that’s delivering the ball stands over the free kick, everyone else, fucks off into the box.

That’s my opinion, I don’t give a shit if it’s his decision, he should be pestering the manager to be in the box. You know, since he’s the biggest aerial threat on the pitch.

I don’t need the weather man to tell me when it’s pissing it down.

Why don’t we go all out? Let’s sign Peter Crouch and have him taking corners.

Ita 35 yard free kick man, the only way we could ‘fool’ the opposition is by passing it backwards, in all fairness, I bet they’re surprised we didn’t since that’s the only thing we’re capable of.

It’s going in the box or an attempt on goal. The player that’s delivering the ball stands over the free kick, everyone else, fucks off into the box.

That’s my opinion, I don’t give a shit if it’s his decision, he should be pestering the manager to be in the box. You know, since he’s the biggest aerial threat on the pitch.

Because if peter crouch was stood over a corner, we'd all know it was going to be a shit corner.

Hes got a great delivery, otherwise the opposition wouldn't give a fuck if he was stood over the ball. That's why he was stood over it, so they doubt whether it was going to be an inswinger or out. And actually care about it.

The dummy was awful. But thats by the by really

I agree it looked a bit strange, but there were probably reasons agreed on the training ground.

1629054167438.png

We wanted 6 players in the box. Egan, Basham, McGoldrick, Sharp, Burke, Brewster, a mix of robust players, some finishing ability and some height.

Robinson is outside the box, presumably we wanted someone aggressive to challenge for second balls/half clearances, partly to keep the chance alive, partly to avoid the opposition breaking.

Baldock was covering at the back.

We wanted a left footer next to Norwood, but didn't have anyone apart from Robinson.

Berge - despite being tall - is clearly lacking in timing, leaping, bravery and heading technique - was told to pretend he'd potentially be able to swing the ball in with his left foot. It could be that Swansea hadn't been briefed to such a detail that they'd realise it was a trick. Consequently the wall may have been positioned a little more to the right, and was less of a restriction for Norwood's cross.

How did it go? Norwood found Sharp who got his header on target, but too close to the goalkeeper.

It would be great if Berge could be of some use at set pieces, but for now it's not something we should expect.

Back
Top Bottom