BBC Top 10

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This is what happens when the people judging it haven't played in them. If they asked folk who had have played in multiple derbies they'd get a different answer.

But then again, so what. We know. And that's what makes it special.

Only London, Manchester and Liverpool have 2 teams in the top division on a regular basis.

Sheffield, Bristol, Birmingham, Nottingham. Of the 8 clubs in those 2 team cities only Villa are in the top division and it took billionaire ownership.

2 club cities are fucked basically

The only derby is Blades v wendy,barnsly rotherham donnie,dirty leeds yorkshire derbies.

Barcodes v. Makems
Oldham v Dale
Wrexham v Chester
Grimsby v Scunthorpe

Proper ballsout tribal hatred. None of this fashionable derby bollox.

top 10 British derbies for me not in any order:
Rangers v Celtic
Newcastle v Sunderland
Sheffield derby
Leeds v Man Utd
West Ham v Millwall
Birmingham v Villa
Cardiff v Swansea
Forest v Derby
North London derby
Manchester derby

No Merseyside Derby? The Bristol Derby is a feisty affair.. Leeds v Man Utd? Not sure.

This is just a BBC/media thing, based on nowt except some sort of elitist "world brand" agenda (except Brighton and Palace, but they're London-ish so got to stick them in, AND they're in the PL).
A proper derby should be local (ideally in one town or city, but close-ish if not).
It should be so passionate and stressful that the only pre-match sustenance you can keep down is beer. This also acts as an anaesthetic.
On the day, there has to be an irrational hatred of your rival so strong it hurts (and will be unbearable if you lose).
It should be played in a totally febrile and manic atmosphere created by people who are utterly taken over by the whole experience and who spend 2 hours on the verge of a complete breakdown.
It doesn't matter what division it's in, these days ideally NOT the PL.
People who chose their team by sticking a pin in a PL league table need not apply.

By these measures, there aren't actually many real derbies, and some only happen rarely.
I think these are "real" derbies:
Us and Them.
Blues and Villa.
Wolves and West Brom.
Stoke and Port Vale.
Bristol City and Rovers.
Portsmouth and Southampton.
Forest and Derby.
Blackburn and Burnley.

Clearly there are others (Newcastle and Sunderland, Norwich and Ipswich get honourable mentions), but I've only tried to include ones where the feeling is raw and visceral, I've no time for PL niceties, or that Liverpool/Everton thing where they allegedly sit together. That's not a derby!!!
You've only included derbies where the feeling is "raw and visceral" and you haven't included Sunderland v Newcastle??? They absolutely despise each other!! I'd probably have that as the 2nd most passionate derby after Celtic v Rangers.

You've only included derbies where the feeling is "raw and visceral" and you haven't included Sunderland v Newcastle??? They absolutely despise each other!! I'd probably have that as the 2nd most passionate derby after Celtic v Rangers.
I think you do have a point Wiggly! Just something I had a laugh with! Also, I only did English ones, otherwise I'd have been writing it all night. I've been to Buenos Aires twice, a few years ago now, sadly it wasn't the football season so I wasn't able to experience Boca Juniors v River Plate, which may be the visceral derby to end all visceral derbies!!

The top ten Premier League Derbies are as follows

Man Utd versus another one of the top six
Arsenal versus another one of the top six
Tottenham versus another one of the top six
Man City versus another one of the top six
Liverpool versus another one of the top six
Everton versus another one of the top six

And my fat, pallid, veiny bollocks versus my ugly old brown shithole

Fuck the BBC and fuck the Premier League. And fuck the top six.

pommpey
Aye! Fuck the Premier League...Till we get there again.

This is all bollocks, or more accurately it should be all bollocks. A true "derby" is teams from the same scrotum. The rest are just keen rivalries. Big it up all you like, invent as much intensity as you want, but if you're a Hitler you don't have a derby.

Rangers v Celtic
Newcastle v Sunderland
Sheffield derby
Leeds v Man Utd
West Ham v Millwall
Birmingham v Villa
Cardiff v Swansea
Forest v Derby
North London derby
Manchester derby
Leeds v Man Utd is NOT a derby ? Cardiff Swansea is not a derby really Forest derby Is not a derby. Bristol is a far bigger derby than any of these

Rangers v Celtic
Newcastle v Sunderland
Sheffield derby
Merseyside derby
West Ham v Millwall
Birmingham v Villa
Cardiff v Swansea
Forest v Derby
North London derby
Manchester derby
Weeds v Man Utd is not a fucking derby - only in the Deluded weeds heads so corrected it for you

This is all bollocks, or more accurately it should be all bollocks. A true "derby" is teams from the same scrotum. The rest are just keen rivalries. Big it up all you like, invent as much intensity as you want, but if you're a Hitler you don't have a derby.

Ingenious Hitler reference, whose relevance may escape younger readers. If we had an award for Godwin’s of the Year, you’d have it in the, err, bag already.

Oh, and Chesterfield vs Mansfield. A rivalry rather than a derby perhaps, if we’re using the Hitler Scrotum Index, but stabby as fuck.

Leeds v Man Utd is NOT a derby ? Cardiff Swansea is not a derby really Forest derby Is not a derby. Bristol is a far bigger derby than any of these
Interesting observations. Cardiff v Swansea is TENSE and is most definitely a derby, as is Forest v Derby. I'd agree the Bristol derby is a biggie (a lot of similarities to ours) but it doesn't make the top 10 for me. It depends if you judge derbies on hatred between the two teams or whether you consider the size of the clubs / fan base.

I'd probably add Pompey v Southampton to the list

Pompey v Southampton is a derby. They fucking HATE each other.

Pompey's catchment area stretches out north to Petersfield, east to Chichester, the Isle of Wight and slightly westward to a vague no man's land which is shared between Gosport/Fareham and Winchester. Southampton's is the city and across toward Salisbury, north eastern Hampshire and upward toward the Thames Valley. It's a big range more akin to Sheffield's south/city versus north/peasants split.

And they are ready to stab each other too.

pommpey

Pompey v The World more like ;)

A lot of this rides on what you term a derby. If a derby has to be the same city there’s a very different list to if it doesn’t. My own personal view is a derby is within a city and a rivalry is outside but it’s clear that most people seem to define it differently. Not so long back there was a heated rivalry between Arsenal and Manchester United but no one called it a derby same goes for Liverpool and Chelsea and going back further Leeds and Chelsea. What mileage limit do those with the alternative view to me place on whether it counts as a derby or not?

Back
Top Bottom