BBC Top 10

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

East Midlands Derby?

FULHAM VS CHELSEA?!

A23 DERBY?!!?!

FUCK RIGHT OFF!

I don't think the BBC know what a derby match is. Those two clubs don't like each other much so that must be a derby match.

The 91/92 2-0 and 1-3 were cracking derbies for different reasons, but they were Div 1 rather than Prem games.

In the prem we've had 3 x 1-1 draws and the other we lost 3-1 at the sty

Yeah but this vote isn't based on specific games, just the rivalry as a whole

I am surprised but it just shows what a footballing backwater Sheffield has become.

I don’t think it helps that we’re in different divisions to each other most of the time. I doubt there is another major rivalry in the country where the two clubs play each other so little.
Nottingham

Palace v Brighton is the sorriest excuse for a derby. Isn't it because a player or manager moved between the two in the seventies and slagged off his previous team?

Distance wise it's like us having a "derby" with Oldham.

Yeah but this vote isn't based on specific games, just the rivalry as a whole
In that case i guess its just because the rivalry wasn't really seen in the Prem. In their eyes its a Championship rivalry like Forest v Derby.

Norwich vs Ipswich is an underatted ding-dong. The farmers bring their own manure to sling at each other.

Norwich vs Ipswich is an underatted ding-dong. The farmers bring their own manure to sling at each other.
Although granted there is noone else unless Great Yarmouth have a team there is like 45 miles between them, its like all the "Yorkshire derbies" combined in their 2 clubs and nearly the distance between us and Derby. It all depends on what you class as a "Derby"

In that case i guess its just because the rivalry wasn't really seen in the Prem. In their eyes its a Championship rivalry like Forest v Derby.

But we could say the same for Forest-Leicester. Heck that's probably had more League 1 derbies in recent times!

Having lived away from Sheffield for 7 years, you really get an outside perspective to how unknown Wednesday actually are these days especially to youngsters.All my sons mates have heard of United especially off the back of the recent premier league seasons.

Although granted there is noone else unless Great Yarmouth have a team there is like 45 miles between them, its like all the "Yorkshire derbies" combined in their 2 clubs and nearly the distance between us and Derby. It all depends on what you class as a "Derby"
interesting that

City derby - Utd v Weds
County derby - Utd v Leeds
Regional derby - Forest v Derby, Liverpool v Tranmere
National derby - England v Scotland
European international derby - England v France
Continent international derby - England v Brazil
World derby - England v anyone other than those above
Interworld derby - World v Mars

nailed it

(we still wouldn't make the BBC top 10)

I think Sheffield is the 5th biggest footballing city in the uk after
Glasgow
Newcastle
Liverpool
Manchester
Sheffield

We easily deserve that top 10 for our derby

The top ten Premier League Derbies are as follows

Man Utd versus another one of the top six
Arsenal versus another one of the top six
Tottenham versus another one of the top six
Man City versus another one of the top six
Liverpool versus another one of the top six
Everton versus another one of the top six

And my fat, pallid, veiny bollocks versus my ugly old brown shithole

Fuck the BBC and fuck the Premier League. And fuck the top six.

pommpey

The top ten Premier League Derbies are as follows

Man Utd versus another one of the top six
Arsenal versus another one of the top six
Tottenham versus another one of the top six
Man City versus another one of the top six
Liverpool versus another one of the top six
Everton versus another one of the top six

And my fat, pallid, veiny bollocks versus my ugly old brown shithole

Fuck the BBC and fuck the Premier League. And fuck the top six.

pommpey
You really need to start getting off the fence and start saying what you think Pomps old boy

This is just a BBC/media thing, based on nowt except some sort of elitist "world brand" agenda (except Brighton and Palace, but they're London-ish so got to stick them in, AND they're in the PL).
A proper derby should be local (ideally in one town or city, but close-ish if not).
It should be so passionate and stressful that the only pre-match sustenance you can keep down is beer. This also acts as an anaesthetic.
On the day, there has to be an irrational hatred of your rival so strong it hurts (and will be unbearable if you lose).
It should be played in a totally febrile and manic atmosphere created by people who are utterly taken over by the whole experience and who spend 2 hours on the verge of a complete breakdown.
It doesn't matter what division it's in, these days ideally NOT the PL.
People who chose their team by sticking a pin in a PL league table need not apply.

By these measures, there aren't actually many real derbies, and some only happen rarely.
I think these are "real" derbies:
Us and Them.
Blues and Villa.
Wolves and West Brom.
Stoke and Port Vale.
Bristol City and Rovers.
Portsmouth and Southampton.
Forest and Derby.
Blackburn and Burnley.

Clearly there are others (Newcastle and Sunderland, Norwich and Ipswich get honourable mentions), but I've only tried to include ones where the feeling is raw and visceral, I've no time for PL niceties, or that Liverpool/Everton thing where they allegedly sit together. That's not a derby!!!

Pompey v Southampton is a derby. They fucking HATE each other.

Pompey's catchment area stretches out north to Petersfield, east to Chichester, the Isle of Wight and slightly westward to a vague no man's land which is shared between Gosport/Fareham and Winchester. Southampton's is the city and across toward Salisbury, north eastern Hampshire and upward toward the Thames Valley. It's a big range more akin to Sheffield's south/city versus north/peasants split.

And they are ready to stab each other too.

pommpey

This is just a BBC/media thing, based on nowt except some sort of elitist "world brand" agenda (except Brighton and Palace, but they're London-ish so got to stick them in, AND they're in the PL).
A proper derby should be local (ideally in one town or city, but close-ish if not).
It should be so passionate and stressful that the only pre-match sustenance you can keep down is beer. This also acts as an anaesthetic.
On the day, there has to be an irrational hatred of your rival so strong it hurts (and will be unbearable if you lose).
It should be played in a totally febrile and manic atmosphere created by people who are utterly taken over by the whole experience and who spend 2 hours on the verge of a complete breakdown.
It doesn't matter what division it's in, these days ideally NOT the PL.
People who chose their team by sticking a pin in a PL league table need not apply.

By these measures, there aren't actually many real derbies, and some only happen rarely.
I think these are "real" derbies:
Us and Them.
Blues and Villa.
Wolves and West Brom.
Stoke and Port Vale.
Bristol City and Rovers.
Portsmouth and Southampton.
Forest and Derby.
Blackburn and Burnley.

Clearly there are others (Newcastle and Sunderland, Norwich and Ipswich get honourable mentions), but I've only tried to include ones where the feeling is raw and visceral, I've no time for PL niceties, or that Liverpool/Everton thing where they allegedly sit together. That's not a derby!!!
No Miwwaw v Westaam??

A joke set of derbies from the biggest joke of a league out there.

For me, for what it's worth, the top three proper derbies (same city + hatred) in this country:-

United v Pigs
Brum v Villa
Millwall v West Ham

Back
Top Bottom