Outgoing? Bash

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Torrix1889

A reight Bobby Dazzler
Reaction score
Attracting interest from Brentford, Wolves and Norwich according to Football League Zone on Facebook....probably nowt in it but he did have a great season so it wouldn't surprise me!

Wolves and Norwich could offer bigger wages but he is settled up here now and as were a championship team there isn't much incentive for him to leave

Can't see us selling to anyone in our division to be honest unless we want to free up some wages for new signings.

That Football League Zone isn't the least reliable account either.

I hope there's no serious interest, but I doubt he'll go anyway.

But it would be no surprise at all that anyone watching us this year would be interested in him, he's been outstanding at RCB. Moving there has brought out the best in him. I don't think any of those clubs play with 3 centre backs. Football wise it's best for him to be at a club who do.

Basham out............ Brayford in,is that the plan.

No, it isn't.

Last edited:
There may well be interest but I suspect this is just a lever that Bash's representative will use to push for better terms with Utd.

Expect similar rumours to surface regarding Freeman, Coutts and others soon

This is a great testament to Chris Wilder.....this time last year there wouldn't have been many of us that would have batted an eyelid at Bash leaving....he was inconsistent and gave the ball away far too easy...to be fair though he did play in about 4 positions under Adkins in a poor side so wasn't really settled...he made RCB his own and although he was still prone to the odd rick he was largely superb.....

My only concern with Bash is whether he would get away with going walkabout up front as much ay Championship level?

He's probably our quickest defender

He's quicker over 20 yards than just about any defender we have

Have you watched us this season? He is easily one of our quickest and best players.

Which says more about the lack of speed in our defenders than it does about Basham....

And yes, I have watched us ALL season and let's not forget how bad he was pre Christmas. I'll accept he finished the season strongly but would be amazed if he features regularly next season. Guess we'll see...

let's not forget how bad he was pre Christmas

Absolute nonsense. He wasn't as good, but he certainly wasn't bad.

And just how quick do you think a defender has to be to play in the Championship?

Basham might not be that quick over more than 20 yards but over short distances he's quick enough, he's responsive and energetic with good agility and acceleration.

If we play 3 at the back he'll be a regular.

That Football League Zone isn't the least reliable account either.

I hope there's no serious interest, but I doubt he'll go anyway.

But it would be no surprise at all that anyone watching us this year would be interested in him, he's been outstanding at RCB. Moving there has brought out the best in him. I don't think any of those clubs play with 3 centre backs. Football wise it's best for him to be at a club who do.

No, it isn't.
Ok font.

Mischief??
Trying to upset the apple cart?

Going nowhere, and certainly not to another club in the championship.
If however, Bash or his agent want to try and lever a new more expensive contract for him, then good luck with that. I however doubt it would be the case as Bash will know the outcome.
"Seeyer later, doors that way"

Which says more about the lack of speed in our defenders than it does about Basham....

And yes, I have watched us ALL season and let's not forget how bad he was pre Christmas. I'll accept he finished the season strongly but would be amazed if he features regularly next season. Guess we'll see...

Our defenders can't all be that slow, we've just smashed the league.

You must've been watching a different Basham to me before Christmas as he wasn't bad at all. He was certainly better after Christmas but that says more about how good he was then, not how bad he was before.

Mischief??
Trying to upset the apple cart?

Going nowhere, and certainly not to another club in the championship.
If however, Bash or his agent want to try and lever a new more expensive contract for him, then good luck with that. I however doubt it would be the case as Bash will know the outcome.
"Seeyer later, doors that way"

You think? I would have thought the club would be quite receptive to extending the contracts of those playing who have < 12 months left on their contract as long as they're in CW's longer term plans n order to protect the value of their assets.

Of course, if they come up with ridiculous demands Utd won't cave in but creating a strong negotiating position (inc. claiming/generating interest from other parties) is a normal and regularly used tactic by players, their reps and clubs alike.

He's a Geordie.

He got a nose bleed coming as far South as Sheffield.

He enjoys a drinking culture as well.

Going nowhere - except to the Prem - as a Blade.

UTB

Bash certainly won me over last season. He was excellent.

We now have some very good players. Of course other clubs will be interested in them. Would we prefer a heap of shite so we could be comfortable they were going nowhere?

You think? I would have thought the club would be quite receptive to extending the contracts of those playing who have < 12 months left on their contract as long as they're in CW's longer term plans n order to protect the value of their assets.

Of course, if they come up with ridiculous demands Utd won't cave in but creating a strong negotiating position (inc. claiming/generating interest from other parties) is a normal and regularly used tactic by players, their reps and clubs alike.

The club will only be looking to extend the contracts of those players they see as long term future of the club. Another 3 years for bash would mean a possible 7 year stay at the club. Not a problem if the price is right for the value he brings to the team as you say.
But if he or anyone else comes knocking at the door wanting a fat pay rise and a lucrative term, trying to force the club into doing something it doesn't feel is right then they can go. It may be the norm for agents etc to generate interest etc, but it doesn't make it right. An honest pro like Bash will know he just needs to get his head down and he will be looked after by the manager. Wilder has been quite clearly an honest and fair bloke. I don't expect he will be anything other than fair and open with his players.

We have been held to ransom too much in the past and it was a bad time for the club. I accept these things are a fine line for getting right, but it needs to be thought through carefully not forced or hurried through by a player or his agent stirring things up.
If it were me, I would wait to see what state the lads return for pre season and assess if they have been committed to the off season training regime they will have been given. That's as good a sign as any as to the commitment to the club.
Those that have would be sat down and new terms offered in line with their value to the team. Coutts....new deal and pay rise if he's come back fit. Fleck....new deal offered, highest paid player at the club. Bash, new deal and a pay rise.
But when I say pay rise I say it within reason. The AVERAGE salary in the championship is around 7k a week. If these lads are average players for the division then pay them the average. If Wilder feels they are exceptional and clearly a prospective Premier league player (Fleck) then they get a wage to match....likewise a player with a lot to prove on the fringes then a lower wage.
No player at the lane (presently) should be on more than 10k a week. Incentives and rewards can be given based on success to boost that but as a basic wage that is more than right.

The club will only be looking to extend the contracts of those players they see as long term future of the club. Another 3 years for bash would mean a possible 7 year stay at the club. Not a problem if the price is right for the value he brings to the team as you say.
But if he or anyone else comes knocking at the door wanting a fat pay rise and a lucrative term, trying to force the club into doing something it doesn't feel is right then they can go. It may be the norm for agents etc to generate interest etc, but it doesn't make it right. An honest pro like Bash will know he just needs to get his head down and he will be looked after by the manager. Wilder has been quite clearly an honest and fair bloke. I don't expect he will be anything other than fair and open with his players.

We have been held to ransom too much in the past and it was a bad time for the club. I accept these things are a fine line for getting right, but it needs to be thought through carefully not forced or hurried through by a player or his agent stirring things up.
If it were me, I would wait to see what state the lads return for pre season and assess if they have been committed to the off season training regime they will have been given. That's as good a sign as any as to the commitment to the club.
Those that have would be sat down and new terms offered in line with their value to the team. Coutts....new deal and pay rise if he's come back fit. Fleck....new deal offered, highest paid player at the club. Bash, new deal and a pay rise.
But when I say pay rise I say it within reason. The AVERAGE salary in the championship is around 7k a week. If these lads are average players for the division then pay them the average. If Wilder feels they are exceptional and clearly a prospective Premier league player (Fleck) then they get a wage to match....likewise a player with a lot to prove on the fringes then a lower wage.
No player at the lane (presently) should be on more than 10k a week. Incentives and rewards can be given based on success to boost that but as a basic wage that is more than right.

Sorry Grizzly, I'm honestly not trying to score points but I'm a little confused - do you or not think the club should be willing to extend and improve Bash's contract? At first you say they no but then you say yes.

If however, Bash or his agent want to try and lever a new more expensive contract for him, then good luck with that. I however doubt it would be the case as Bash will know the outcome. "Seeyer later, doors that way"

Another 3 years for bash would mean a possible 7 year stay at the club. Not a problem if the price is right for the value he brings to the team as you say.

Sorry Grizzly, I'm honestly not trying to score points but I'm a little confused - do you or not think the club should be willing to extend and improve Bash's contract? At first you say they no but then you say yes.

No it's fine. I'm perhaps not making it clear.

New contract yes....but only what he's worth and on the managers terms only...i.e. When HE is ready to discuss new contracts.
Don't agree with the mischief and bollocks of players/agents trying to drum up interest elsewhere as a bargaining chip to try and squeeze more money from the club. If that's the game, then that will work out badly as I don't believe for one minute that Wilder will fall for it.

So all it does is often create rifts and trouble between club and player when in reality the player really wants to stay and play football. It's the agents that I have the beef with....crooks with NO interest in the player for me.

My point about money should be based in the assessment of the manager. If he feels Bash is an accomplished, steady (average) champ player then pay accordingly the 7k a week. It might not match the theory of player/agent, but tough.

As a further note, I see that story coming out conveniently (while player on his holidays with family I suspect) as a reminder to Wilder that his player has only a year left...and "don't forget him when signing these new players and spending the cash"...sort Bash out first and make sure you have enough left to give him more money. Agent speak obviously IMHO.

Usual defence mechanisms of "he's going nowhere" etc. If he's offered better wages, a more lucrative contract with a club with more likely chance of promotion, he could well be off, like any of them.

Usual defence mechanisms of "he's going nowhere" etc. If he's offered better wages, a more lucrative contract with a club with more likely chance of promotion, he could well be off, like any of them.
You love hoof

He's had a good season. He's got his limitations - but his workrate is first class and his ability to cover defensively is good. Every player has his price though and depending on what's being offered I'd have no problem with us selling him and replacing him with someone else.

Back
Top Bottom