Bash Porter all you want........

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

highpeakblade

Shoreham Street - Til Death Us Do Part
Reaction score
BUT I WOULD 100% HAVE HIM IN THE SIDE OVER MARLON KING AT THE MINUTE IF ONLY FOR HIS WORK RATE!

We all know that Porter isn't a prolific striker! We all know he's not the player who you can rely on for a brace or hat-trick every week but his effort and work rate alone tower over that of Marlon King and I bet his wage is only a percentage what we are paying the latter as well!.

Ok a better option at the minute seems to be Miller who looks to have come back half decent and in a couple of games he should be a lot sharper and should be starting games over King anyway.

But for all the Porter bashers amongst us! Let's face the facts! Chris Porter wants to play for Sheffield United, Chris Porter generally puts in a shift and works his socks off even when used as a pointless, single target man up front.

This club have allowed him to leave on loan and brought in a player who hasn't put in half the shift that Porter would have done for us!

I agree, but how bad a sign is it when we are yearning for Porter to start ahead of King, after an unimpressive stint at in-form Chesterfield.

I agree, but how bad a sign is it when we are yearning for Porter to start ahead of King, after an unimpressive stint at in-form Chesterfield.

There is a chance that we will get something from King, albeit a kick up the arse being due. There is no chance that Chris Porter will develop the ability to hit a bulls ass with a banjo.

Miller is coming back to fitness. There's no need to bring Porter back. I'm available and I'll do it for free. :)

UTB

Couldn't get into Chesterfield's team after a few games to make his presence felt. He was found out at 4th division Shrewsbury last season too.

UTB

So whats all this tell you about what King has done for us so far? If the work rate was there and he simply wasn't sharp enough as of yet then I wouldn't be so harsh on him, but he doesn't look like he wants to be on the pitch!

Couldn't get into Chesterfield's team after a few games to make his presence felt. He was found out at 4th division Shrewsbury last season too.

UTB
Sorry bud , they were in this league last year , did' nt he score / fluke one v toytown tramps team ( tranmere ) last year , also miskicked in front of goal in same game , guess some things never change , does link up well with miller though .

I want to play, do i get a game?

He can't even get a game at Chesterfield. Last week not even on the bench, this week on the bench but not used. Did nowt for Shrewsbury last season. Done nowt for us in 2 and half years.
He's got no skill, no pace, can't shoot straight and never scores. Just what is the point?
I'd rather stick Harry Maguire up front. He's more likely to score than Porter whilst playing in defence.
May as well just stick him up front to look just as clumsy and hopeless as Porter but score more goals.

So whats all this tell you about what King has done for us so far? If the work rate was there and he simply wasn't sharp enough as of yet then I wouldn't be so harsh on him, but he doesn't look like he wants to be on the pitch!
If we are building a case for who should play, then you can do no other than compare. King has been a major disappointment but throughout his career he has shown he can do it. Throughout Porter's he's shown he can't. Miller does look worth a punt though.

UTB

Its a squad game ,and we can make some decent partnerships out of Miler ,Taylor ,King and Porter ,it will come once the defence and midfield are sorted out and every thing settles down. Clough is still looking at players and will have found out more today than the previous game.

Murphy was supposed to be a striker when we signed him, but i guess we'll never find out.

My Aunt Fanny could do better than King right now. Total waste of time, and such a bad role model, worst element of the Weir legacy.

I wonder how much he is being paid?

Going to the shed for a sulk, and to attack some wood with a sharp blade.

HH

Personally I would bring Porter back into the side short term and pair him up with Miller. Long term we need to find someone better to lead the line though.

King doesn't seem to want to at the moment and Taylor doesn't seem capable of playing that role.

Porter might be poor but he does a couple of things well, and those really compliment Miller's style. Our best attacking performance last season saw those two paired.

But that said, I remain baffled as to why King's fitness seems to be getting worse. His ability should make him a shoe-in and a regular scorer.

Porter & Miller was by far the best strike partnership of last year - they seemed to click with ease. Miller had the intelligence/awareness to react to Porter's headers/flicks. I don't recall Porter scoring in that spell, but we certainly looked the most effective we'd been up front all season.

I am stunned that people still want another stint to confirm if Porter really is as bad as every other club can see.

Let's get king fit and kick his arse. Let's try combinations with Miller. Let's try Murphy there. But please don't subject me to another round of Chris Porter. We're already confirming Flynn's Sunday league status for the umpteenth time. Let's not give Porter more field time, please.

UTB

Porter & Miller was by far the best strike partnership of last year - they seemed to click with ease. Miller had the intelligence/awareness to react to Porter's headers/flicks. I don't recall Porter scoring in that spell, but we certainly looked the most effective we'd been up front all season.

I agree, now Miller is back in contention, lets bring back Porter and renew the Front Two

I agree, now Miller is back in contention, lets bring back Porter and renew the Front Two
Which of several spells with Porter up front have you been impressed with? Assuming it's none whatsoever, what are you expecting to be different this time?

UTB

baxters skill and vision with Miller's movement... no brainer, yet here we are wanting Porter for the love of fucking god!

Which of several spells with Porter up front have you been impressed with?

Out of interest, what did you feel was so wrong about the spell where he & Miller were up front as a pairing last season? When they both played as a front 2, these were the results.

Notts County won 4-1 (Miller 2)
(Spell out of the team for Miller)
Stevenage won 4-1 (Miller 2, Porter)
Crewe drew 3-3 (Miller)
Brentford lost 0-2
Port Vale won 2-1 (Miller 2)
Carlisle won 3-1
Tranmere drew 0-0

Apart from the fact that we scored 16 in 7 games, they just seemed to have the type of understanding other front twos lacked throughout the season. Which part of this idea are you so against?

Out of interest, what did you feel was so wrong about the spell where he & Miller were up front as a pairing last season? When they both played as a front 2, these were the results.

Crewe drew 3-3 (Miller)
Brentford lost 0-2
Carlisle won 3-1
Tranmere drew 0-0

Apart from the fact that we scored 16 in 7 games, they just seemed to have the type of understanding other front twos lacked throughout the season. Which part of this idea are you so against?

I can't break down specifics like that. My memory doesn't allow it. I know that every time I see him, I think "have we really sunk that low?".

There's a reason all our managers drop him. There's a reason he goes out on loan and ends up being dropped by even worse teams than us. There's a reason the stats confirm he can't hit a bulls ass with a banjo. The reason is, he's shite.

UTB

I can't break down specifics like that. My memory doesn't allow it. I know that every time I see him, I think "have we really sunk that low?".

There's a reason all our managers drop him. There's a reason he goes out on loan and ends up being dropped by even worse teams than us. There's a reason the stats confirm he can't hit a bulls ass with a banjo. The reason is, he's shite.

UTB

Porter must be the only one of our players who went to a private school - Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School Blackburn apparently. He was born in Wigan and doesn't strike me as particularly posh, so there must be a story there...

Which of several spells with Porter up front have you been impressed with? Assuming it's none whatsoever, what are you expecting to be different this time?

UTB
Porter and Miller work well together, With Porter winning the ball and laying it off to Miller. Under DW Mk I Porter was often the lone striker, and yeah he could win the ball, but had no one to lay it off to.

You no doubt will not be convinced as you are a fan of King, personally he was a good player once, but like Kitson is now slow.

I thought the cull at the end of last season was to get rid of all the 30 somethings

Porter and Miller work well together, With Porter winning the ball and laying it off to Miller. Under DW Mk I Porter was often the lone striker, and yeah he could win the ball, but had no one to lay it off to.

You no doubt will not be convinced as you are a fan of King, personally he was a good player once, but like Kitson is now slow.

I thought the cull at the end of last season was to get rid of all the 30 somethings
To clarify, I am not a fan of King.

UTB

Crewe drew 3-3 (Miller)
Brentford lost 0-2
Carlisle won 3-1
Tranmere drew 0-0

Colchester won 3-2 (Porter).

Basically, when the two of them start for whatever reason we appear to score a few. Average 2.4 per game - half of those games 3 or more have been scored.

Colchester won 3-2 (Porter).

Basically, when the two of them start for whatever reason we appear to score a few. Average 2.4 per game - half of those games 3 or more have been scored.

.......leaving aside he missed an open goal, again, twice. He's still very rubbish, but we won. Everyone's happy.

:)

.......leaving aside he missed an open goal, again, twice. He's still very rubbish, but we won. Everyone's happy.

:)

They were good chances, but they weren't open goals, should have scored at least one of them. We won and he was a key part of it, but because he's Porter everyone will have a pop at him.

1402010_10201413800960273_787251360_o.jpg
(Courtesy of Martyn Harrison (Blades Sports Photography)

Last edited:
He's an easy target (well he is a target man) and sadly we fans seem to need one or more of those. Miller is a very promising striker and will score goals with the right service. He appears to work best with Porter who isn't prolific but will chip in with the occasional goal. Porter will work his gonads off but will never be a Van Persie but then again Van Persie will never play in the 3rd division. Just give him a break.

They were good chances, but they weren't open goals, should have scored at least one of them. We won and he was a key part of it, but because he's Porter everyone will have a pop at him.

View attachment 6586
he will be criticised because he is a very poor footballer as proven over hundreds of games.

A few could ask the question, "how many players have I thought were rubbish as we've dropped through the league's?".

Rose tinted specs are very obvious. They make you blind to what about 10 managers have clearly seen.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom