Average Away Attendance for Every Championship Club 22/23 (so far)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I see the averages every year and this isn't remotely true. We are very consistently in the top 5 in the league, usually top 3. We were second to Boro last year who averaged about 3 more than us.
Our away support has never been great and probably never will, it has its moments but in comparison to the home support in the last 15plus years it's average at best. Any other similar sized club near us travel better away, them,forest,boro, wolves, leicester then go as far as clubs like Norwich who filled the lower tier again this year, we'd never ever take that amount to them for a championship game in October or whenever it was. Birmingham always travel in bigger numbers to us than we do them too. Fair play to anyone that goes all the time though.

I see the averages every year and this isn't remotely true. We are very consistently in the top 5 in the league, usually top 3. We were second to Boro last year who averaged about 3 more than us.
We're always one of the biggest 5 clubs in the league so that's pretty obvious we will be in the top 5. Boro have to travel a lot further than us, we have never ever sold our allocation up there, they sell out at the lane pretty much every time wether it's midweek or not too as they will this season.

We're always one of the biggest 5 clubs in the league so that's pretty obvious we will be in the top 5. Boro have to travel a lot further than us, we have never ever sold our allocation up there, they sell out at the lane pretty much every time wether it's midweek or not too as they will this season.
The point made was that Derby, Forest, Wolves, Leicester always average more than us in the second division. Definitely untrue. I wasn't knocking Boro.

Very good pal of mine is a die hard boro fan. Home n away with boro for as long as I’ve known him. He use to always give me stick about our support up there saying how poor it was for a club of our size saying boros travelling support pisses on ours

Very good pal of mine is a die hard boro fan. Home n away with boro for as long as I’ve known him. He use to always give me stick about our support up there saying how poor it was for a club of our size saying boros travelling support pisses on ours
doesnt help the numbers when fixture list seems to always send us to boro on weekdays plus we always seem to get long trips on weekday nights as well our averages will rise now with some of the upcoming away games on a saturday

Our average home and away support is bigger than it used to be. Going back to the Warnock days we weren't seeing these numbers home and away. It's great to see...although it would be nice if the noise levels were raised a bit, especially at The Lane.

Our away support has never been great and probably never will, it has its moments but in comparison to the home support in the last 15plus years it's average at best. Any other similar sized club near us travel better away, them,forest,boro, wolves, leicester then go as far as clubs like Norwich who filled the lower tier again this year, we'd never ever take that amount to them for a championship game in October or whenever it was. Birmingham always travel in bigger numbers to us than we do them too. Fair play to anyone that goes all the time though.
If you check the data it shows that altho Forest and Derby always have decent home support.
their away support isn't anything special and is almost always slightly less than ours.

Also altho Derby have had really good support in the last 30 years.....traditionally they've never been that well supported.
They've spent more seasons in the top flight than us but their historical average (18,517) is less than ours (19,302)

Forest historical average (18,464) is also less than ours (19,302).
They've had a good hardcore 20K-22K support for the last 30 years but have rarely averaged over 25K in the last 54 years.
They've managed it just 6 times and that included a period they won the league and were Champions of Europe.

Our home support tends to be quite loyal where as our away support tends to be fickle (can be really impressive...can be quite poor).

Last edited:
You can't make that direct comparison. If people prioritise a number of away games (as many do), distance will be a factor. There's probably 10* teams nearer to us than Boro. There's probably 2* teams nearer to Boro than us.

*Made up numbers

And Burnley have also won a League title in living memory

Blackburn and Burnley both have, and still barely average what we do between them.

In terms of population, what is Burnley? what is Blackburn? Where are the lines drawn?
If lines are drawn in a certain place, can no Burnley fans exist beyond that line?

I'd bet that the towns of Burnley and Blackburn combined, plus the smaller towns and villages around Burnley and Blackburn are fairly similar in size to Sheffield.

The population of Rotherham for example is only about 85,000 but the Metropolitan area is around 250,000
The populations of the boroughs of Blackburn, Hyndburn (Accrington), Burnley, Pendle, and Ribble Valley come to 470k. Sheffield Metro is 740k according to google. And remember that we have to split that support between 3 clubs, because Accrington Stanley are a club playing at the same level as Sheffield Wednesday and are surely their equivalent! 🤣

When my nephew was in his early 20s, before he got married and started a family, he decided to attend every away game that season. Just because he could, even though it was the old 3rd division days.
Can’t remember exactly when, but it probably included trips to places like Plymouth, Portsmouth, Exeter and Carlisle. I was very proud of the lad as most trips were by public transport in those days.

To him, the level of away support was a bit special. Away games always have that special feeling of togetherness between complete strangers, because they have the Blades in common if nothing else.

And Burnley have also won a League title in living memory

Blackburn and Burnley both have, and still barely average what we do between them.

In terms of population, what is Burnley? what is Blackburn? Where are the lines drawn?
If lines are drawn in a certain place, can no Burnley fans exist beyond that line?

I'd bet that the towns of Burnley and Blackburn combined, plus the smaller towns and villages around Burnley and Blackburn are fairly similar in size to Sheffield.

The population of Rotherham for example is only about 85,000 but the Metropolitan area is around 250,000
Burnley and Blackburn both have Liverpool, United and City within 40 minutes of their towns, and glory hunters gravitate to these clubs. As for lines drawn you can state that with every town and city in the country, you're always going to get outlier fans. Burnley has a population of 94000 which is one of the best percentage per capita followings in the country. Unless you're trying to say that there are no Sheffield United fans outside Sheffield whatsoever and that we're an anomaly.

The populations of the boroughs of Blackburn, Hyndburn (Accrington), Burnley, Pendle, and Ribble Valley come to 470k. Sheffield Metro is 740k according to google. And remember that we have to split that support between 3 clubs, because Accrington Stanley are a club playing at the same level as Sheffield Wednesday and are surely their equivalent! 🤣
I live in the Ribble Valley. Accrington is a tiny town split between Burnley and Blackburn and lastly Accrington. Ribble Valley basically consists of Whalley and Clitheroe, more Blackburn and Premier league clubs than Burnley. Nelson and Colne all Burnley really. Burnley get more support from Todmorden than the Ribble Valley.

Back
Top Bottom