Average Away Attendance for Every Championship Club 22/23 (so far)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

our away support could and should really be 2nd in championship, only Sunderland should be taking more away. Especially as we are where we are in league playing like we are. I never understand how we regularly get 25/26k home fans but take less than 2k away fans on average. And yes Burnley’s support is actually unreal considering amount of people living there
WE regularly get 28,500 at home, well, so the stats say!

17-20k , or about 20% of the population.
20% of half of Sheffield is 60k

And Burnley have also won a League title in living memory

Blackburn and Burnley both have, and still barely average what we do between them.

In terms of population, what is Burnley? what is Blackburn? Where are the lines drawn?
If lines are drawn in a certain place, can no Burnley fans exist beyond that line?

I'd bet that the towns of Burnley and Blackburn combined, plus the smaller towns and villages around Burnley and Blackburn are fairly similar in size to Sheffield.

The population of Rotherham for example is only about 85,000 but the Metropolitan area is around 250,000

Blackpool did sell out. I saw the away end photos of our game there and then Sunderland's a few days later. We both filled the same number of blocks. I was surprised by how many we took to Blackpool.
Yes, Blackpool was a sell out, a proper sell out

But we've seen United sell out only to see on tv that only one section of the away end is full.

Watch the same team the week after and the team they're playing has more than one section full.

dangerous place to go to st andrews but i reckon if were already promoted or need a result there to gain promotion we could sell 8/10k tickets for the game if birmingham allowed us

Rightly or wrongly they're generally treated like shit by most clubs/police when away which will easily put off many "moderate" fans, and the average trip length for them is pretty large, half the league involves them going north of Stafford, Cardiff/Swansea aren't exactly short trips from London either. They also seem to have had quite a number of away games midweek which will not help
They really do get their away fixtures looked at by both SKY and Old Bill. They've always had a smallish fan base, and it seems, that's how they like it. It clearly doesn't effect the passion and love they have for their club.

For me our away support is very good, and pretty much in line with our home support, i.e. usually in the top two or three in the Championship. We usually sell out pretty much every Saturday 3pm kick off.

However, there are those few clubs who just seem to sell out no matter what ridiculous time the game is scheduled. No idea if there's any substance behind it but I've always thought it must be much more convenient for the likes of Leeds fans to go away from home, as everyone you know is a Leeds fan and so you've always got someone to go with. As a young lad you've literally got double the chance of being collared in to it, double the chance of collaring a mate in to it and then double the chance of a mate to tag along with. Half my mates are Wednesdayites (probably less), but I often wonder how much better my away day life would have been if we'd all supported the same club, and it would definitely have translated in to attending more games (I've still attended about 2/3 for the last 20 odd years).
Ok. So how do we explain the pigs travelling support in comparison to ours ? Why even tho they are dogshit and we would batter em 8-0 if we played em tommorow why do they still travel in far bigger numbers than us despite been shot and in a division below us. ? I can’t and never will get My head round it. Surely our travelling support should be at least on a par ?

Ok. So how do we explain the pigs travelling support in comparison to ours ? Why even tho they are dogshit and we would batter em 8-0 if we played em tommorow why do they still travel in far bigger numbers than us despite been shot and in a division below us. ? I can’t and never will get My head round it. Surely our travelling support should be at least on a par ?
Do they travel in far bigger numbers? The last time we were both in the same division there was a difference of 67 on average. And without checking I'd guess we'd have been on Sky a lot more.

Sunderland is the impressive one for me. Not a particularly big population and have to travel significantly further than anyone (except Swansea and Norwich).

We should probably be second, but we've had 10 of 14 away games that weren't on a Saturday. Mostly midweek and on Sky. I'd like to see how that compares to others. We've also been to Wales twice already and played Luton away which will have dragged the average down.
Yes but Durham has quite a large population. Catchment areas are a more accurate measure of support than just the town/city, eg Ipswich/Suffolk, Norwich/Norfolk, Leicester/Leicestershire etc

Don’t get this. Clubs have maximum allocations for away fans (2-3,000) and from what I read we generally sell out so how do other clubs take more fans? Sorry if questions already been asked and answered
I think it’s more that we’ve missed out on the ‘big’ away days/not had them yet.

We’d have taken 4/5k to Wigan if it had been on a Saturday, for example. We still have Blackburn where we could take a similar number.

i think its a bit of a cult thing 67 im like you cant understand it but with 22k season ticket holders and the fantastic position were in we really should be selling out for every saturday away game mind if wednesday do get promoted they wont be allocated as many tickets as their getting now in the brown ale league 🤣

Yes but Durham has quite a large population. Catchment areas are a more accurate measure of support than just the town/city, eg Ipswich/Suffolk, Norwich/Norfolk, Leicester/Leicestershire etc
I lived in Durham City for three years and it felt 50/50 Makem/Mag (and this was peak Shearer who I used to see on his way to training at Maiden Castle).

I lived in Durham City for three years and it felt 50/50 Makem/Mag (and this was peak Shearer who I used to see on his way to training at Maiden Castle).
I was actually referring to Durham as a County hence the comparison with other Counties and support for clubs

I can only speak for myself, but I’ve always found Millwall really sound in modern times. Very few love violence nowadays.
On my last sojourn down Bermondsey way, someone didn't get the memo...
Horrible place, one bitten, twice shy and all that!

our away support could and should really be 2nd in championship, only Sunderland should be taking more away. Especially as we are where we are in league playing like we are. I never understand how we regularly get 25/26k home fans but take less than 2k away fans on average. And yes Burnley’s support is actually unreal considering amount of people living there
There is the fact that in two seasons I can’t remember a good away performance that lasted longer than a half. We’re not an easy watch away, although of course 2nd halves like QPR last season makes it worth it.

£40 By coach to Millwall add ticket price and food/beer. I would imagine at least £70 quid. I can,t afford to away matches. low-income cost of living through the roof.
Been to 82 grounds I would like to complete 92. out of the question for me, unfortunately. season ticket on the Kop for me so I can enjoy going to Bramall Lane.

I have relatives that live in Durham and as it's slightly nearer to Sunderland I wondered if it had more Sunderland fans.
When I asked them a few year back my relatives replied.....it's virtually a 50/50 Newcastle/ Sunderland split.

I accept that but some of ours comes from South Yorkshire & North Derbyshire (despite the presence of competing local clubs).
I know it's very difficult to make fair comparisons but Burnley does seem to be a statistical outlier.
Big way allocations at their local rivals this season & 6/7 seasons in the top flight don't hurt either

A pig put a photo on fb last week they average nearly 800 away more than us , Burnley Sunderland derby also take more than us away. There’s got to be a good reason cos I can accept pigs and Sunderland will always travel in bigger numbers than us but fucking Burnley and derby !!? I don’t get that

A pig put a photo on fb last week they average nearly 800 away more than us , Burnley Sunderland derby also take more than us away. There’s got to be a good reason cos I can accept pigs and Sunderland will always travel in bigger numbers than us but fucking Burnley and derby !!? I don’t get that
I think it is related to the matches played And away allocations.
judge it over a whole season for a true picture

Derby have always been well supported, home and away.

They don't that's how I'd explain it
Our away following are very similar
If they are getting more this season it's because they are being allocated more than us because they are in a lower league ,when we were in league one our away followings were huge

They don't that's how I'd explain it
Our away following are very similar
If they are getting more this season it's because they are being allocated more than us because they are in a lower league ,when we were in league one our away followings were huge
I’d love to see em cos I never missed 1 away match that season but I can tell you they weren’t nowhere near 3k averages

If they want bragging rights about taking more fans to places like Morecambe, Accrington and Forest Green, whilst we secure another promotion to the Premier League, then let them have it.

Whilst we are on crowds though, another near 30k attendance at the Lane. This in January and with the Kop unavailable for match day sales.

Back
Top Bottom